Hester and Url

Connorbear

Are they here next year? I cannot see the front office spending good money on either of there two players. I know we all want them to retire as Bears but not if it costs us getting a top notch offensive lineman or two if free agency.

Thoughts?

Peace :dabears

I'm with you. I really want them here. But I don't want their $ to strangle the team. If I were to pick one, it'd be Url. He is a leader. Both guys' best years are behind them. But I think Url can be a huge plus even at a lesser physical level. Hester is all physical...

My gut tells me Url stays, Hester goes... Unless he opts for less money to stay. But I can see other teams frothing at the potential to have him... I think Virgie and the McCaskey boys really like Url. I don't know this for sure...but if it's the case, I imagine he'll stick around.

Are they here next year? I cannot see the front office spending good money on either of there two players. I know we all want them to retire as Bears but not if it costs us getting a top notch offensive lineman or two if free agency.

Thoughts?

Hester no. I think the weems pick up is a clue. Urlacher I see coming back. I think that both management and Urlacher know that Brian fits this system very well. It's true he is not what he used to be so he has to be realistic to what his market value is. With briggs along side him his deficiencies in the speed department are covered up. Also with his knee, I doubt that there are too many teams that want to risk it. Where else will able to sit out training camp to rest his knee. Wherever else he goes he will need the reps to get acclimated to his new team. With his condition and the procedure he had last summer not taking as expected, more non-game reps increases his inflammation and decreases his ability to play. If he signs with the bears for a reasonable price both he and management will know that it is his last contract. He can skip training camps and most weekly practices as he is doing and prolong his career. The bears can slowly get his replacement up to speed and Brian can retire a bear.

One thing about Url that makes me think he will take less money is his attitude towards Cutler, when Cutler was out with the Wrist i remember him talking some crap, there was a lot going around that Url didnt like Cutler. Now that Url sees his end is near and Cutler is here for the long haul he seems to take every chance to back Cutler up, showing he is a team player (not that he wasnt before). If the beef between Cutler and Url was real no one really knows. At least now Url backs Cutler up in the Media.

Hester has gotten paid his big money from the Bears. It was a contract written with the idea that he would be a WR. Well he has not really done that. I hope he would give us a Hometown discount.

I do believe that both can try to go elesewhere and will not get any big contracts just like Briggs but prolly even lower contract offers.

I'm with you. I really want them here. But I don't want their $ to strangle the team. If I were to pick one, it'd be Url. He is a leader. Both guys' best years are behind them. But I think Url can be a huge plus even at a lesser physical level. Hester is all physical...

My gut tells me Url stays, Hester goes... Unless he opts for less money to stay. But I can see other teams frothing at the potential to have him... I think Virgie and the McCaskey boys really like Url. I don't know this for sure...but if it's the case, I imagine he'll stick around.

My sentiements exactly. As most others that have posted so far, it looks to be a consensus.

Another thing with Hester is that he is of some value still. Teams may still be willing to offer money or draft positions to have him on their team. The Bears should consider any and all trades at this point. Like Fudgeripple pointed out, having a player like Weems could be clue. With Dave Toub as ST coordinator I think having Weems pick up the KO and PR duties, most of us fans would probably not notice Hester leaving.

His noteriety (should he make the HOF) will still be etched due to his time on the Bears. Like Ditka's (even though he played at Dallas too). And because of it, he (Hester) will always be a Bear, if not on the team.

Well said...

My sentiements exactly. As most others that have posted so far, it looks to be a consensus.

Another thing with Hester is that he is of some value still. Teams may still be willing to offer money or draft positions to have him on their team. The Bears should consider any and all trades at this point. Like Fudgeripple pointed out, having a player like Weems could be clue. With Dave Toub as ST coordinator I think having Weems pick up the KO and PR duties, most of us fans would probably not notice Hester leaving.

His noteriety (should he make the HOF) will still be etched due to his time on the Bears. Like Ditka's (even though he played at Dallas too). And because of it, he (Hester) will always be a Bear, if not on the team.

Hester no. I think the weems pick up is a clue. Urlacher I see coming back. I think that both management and Urlacher know that Brian fits this system very well. It's true he is not what he used to be so he has to be realistic to what his market value is. With briggs along side him his deficiencies in the speed department are covered up. Also with his knee, I doubt that there are too many teams that want to risk it. Where else will able to sit out training camp to rest his knee. Wherever else he goes he will need the reps to get acclimated to his new team. With his condition and the procedure he had last summer not taking as expected, more non-game reps increases his inflammation and decreases his ability to play. If he signs with the bears for a reasonable price both he and management will know that it is his last contract. He can skip training camps and most weekly practices as he is doing and prolong his career. The bears can slowly get his replacement up to speed and Brian can retire a bear.

IMHO the Weems pick up was to replace J. Knox who can play this year or maybe at all. I really dont think they will let Hester go to another team so he can hurt us and we will let Ulacher retire as a Bear.

One thing about Url that makes me think he will take less money is his attitude towards Cutler, when Cutler was out with the Wrist i remember him talking some crap, there was a lot going around that Url didnt like Cutler. Now that Url sees his end is near and Cutler is here for the long haul he seems to take every chance to back Cutler up, showing he is a team player (not that he wasnt before). If the beef between Cutler and Url was real no one really knows. At least now Url backs Cutler up in the Media.

Hester has gotten paid his big money from the Bears. It was a contract written with the idea that he would be a WR. Well he has not really done that. I hope he would give us a Hometown discount.

I do believe that both can try to go elesewhere and will not get any big contracts just like Briggs but prolly even lower contract offers.

?

I'm hoping they both accept less money to remain with the Bears. Further, I'm hoping Hester realizes his limited abilities at WR, and accepts a "demotion" to a special teams player who rarely gets in on offensive plays. Maybe then he can focus and return to the ways of previous years when he was the most feared returner in NFL history.

I don't see Hester having the same burst he used to have. Without that his time as the top returner is gone but that's not to say he isn't still a good return man. He is not and never will be a good WR in this league. He can be a contributor on offense and he can be a good KR/PR. Eric Weems can do the same thing and IMO that sets Hester's value. Will he accept that?

On Url I definitely want him back. We don't have the depth yet to replace him and when we draft that guy I want Url there to help get him up to speed. Url won't be a full sideline to sideline player like he used to be but he has improved each week and is playing much better now that he did in week 1. I think he can be effective next year as well. Moreso than Hester, Url deserves to be overpaid but he should not be paid as if he's a top 5 LB. I don't know what his market value is, but his value to the team given our lack of depth is higher.

I don't see Hester having the same burst he used to have. Without that his time as the top returner is gone but that's not to say he isn't still a good return man. He is not and never will be a good WR in this league. He can be a contributor on offense and he can be a good KR/PR. Eric Weems can do the same thing and IMO that sets Hester's value. Will he accept that?

On Url I definitely want him back. We don't have the depth yet to replace him and when we draft that guy I want Url there to help get him up to speed. Url won't be a full sideline to sideline player like he used to be but he has improved each week and is playing much better now that he did in week 1. I think he can be effective next year as well. Moreso than Hester, Url deserves to be overpaid but he should not be paid as if he's a top 5 LB. I don't know what his market value is, but his value to the team given our lack of depth is higher.

It's worth a ton more money for Urlacher to stay in Chicago than to go anywhere else next year also. He's a top endorsement guy in Chicago even if his play is declining and he can keep that role even if he retires. He's an addon if he goes anywhere else.

I'm not the GM. To some degree, the Bears are the players, not just the insignia or the owner. I'm alright with the Bears being slightly less competitive with Url here than without due to his contract, but only if there's no other way. So Url needs to stay a Bear. Plus, historically our record without him has been terrible. Basically, I don't want to be a fan a team that ships off their franchise players when they hit their last couple of years of ball...again, unless we have to.

I'm not the GM. To some degree, the Bears are the players, not just the insignia or the owner. I'm alright with the Bears being slightly less competitive with Url here than without due to his contract, but only if there's no other way. So Url needs to stay a Bear. Plus, historically our record without him has been terrible. Basically, I don't want to be a fan a team that ships off their franchise players when they hit their last couple of years of ball...again, unless we have to.

It's not shipping them off if they are looking to be paid more than then team believes they are worth.

The family is in the business to make money above all else. I'm sure they'll do what they can to keep their two best marketing assets. (even if it means overpaying a little)

I would much rather see them let the GM do what he thinks is best for the team. How many people associate Jerry Rice with the Raiders or Joe Montana with the Chiefs? I don't mind either player staying - I am a huge fan of both. However, I don't want them to be here at the price of getting a top notch FA offensive lineman.'

I would much rather see them let the GM do what he thinks is best for the team. How many people associate Jerry Rice with the Raiders or Joe Montana with the Chiefs? I don't mind either player staying - I am a huge fan of both. However, I don't want them to be here at the price of getting a top notch FA offensive lineman.'

I agree with your wishes, but also believe all owners meddle when sentiment and money are involved. I don't think they'll overpay too much that we can't get help on OL...

I don't associate Rice with the Raiders or Montana with the Chiefs, but I get a sick feeling in my stomach when thinking about both situations. And they didn't even play for the Bears.

It would be soul-crushing for me to see Urlacher in another jersey.

Guest TerraTor
I don't associate Rice with the Raiders or Montana with the Chiefs, but I get a sick feeling in my stomach when thinking about both situations. And they didn't even play for the Bears.

Totally agree

Agreed.

I just doesn't FEEL right.

The more I see McClellin dropping into coverage and spying QBs the more I believe we may have Urlacher's replacement on the roster.The Lovie 2 has morphed over the years into what we currently see now and on a couple of plays they rushed only 3 guys and Shea was in coverage against the Panthers.When I saw highlights of McClellin during the draft evaluation period he seemed to play a position similar to Urlacher at Boise. Kind of a "Rover". I wouldn't be shocked if that happened.

As for Hester, the new kickoff rules and the Bears not being able to use Hester in a manner like the Vikings use Harvin or the Chiefs use McCluster and the packers use Cobb who are all similar players makes him less valuable to this team.Until they implement this unknown "Hester Package" he basically has been invisible since the Cowboys game. I put this squarely on Tice who seems to only call pass plays to Marshall and no one else.

How do think 49er fans felt? I love the Bears but in the end it is just sports. Even if they both leave they will always be Bears to me.