Bears sign Matt Slauson

Ed Hochuli 3:16

There we go! I mentioned him weeks ago as a cheaper option that I wanted.

Here's what PFF had to say...

9. Matt Slauson

2012 Grade: +2.5

2012 Snaps: 834

Summary: Drafted in the sixth round in 2009, Slauson is one of the Jets’ few recent picks to actually overachieve his draft position. He held his own on one of the league’s top pass blocking units, and graded at +5.1 as a pass blocker after surrendering only 14 pressures on his 436 pass block attempts. However, he comes in ninth on this list due to a sub-par year in the running game that saw him grade at -4.2 for the season. Still, he’s graded in the green in all three years as a starter and he represents a respectable option the Jets would love to keep in town as he continues his development.

He's our LG, no question.

and he's a badass

matt-slauson8.jpg

The draft is going to be hella interesting. Cant wait.

9. Matt Slauson

Summary: Drafted in the sixth round in 2009, Slauson is one of the Jets’ few recent picks to actually overachieve his draft position. He held his own on one of the league’s top pass blocking units, and graded at +5.1 as a pass blocker after surrendering only 14 pressures on his 436 pass block attempts. However, he comes in ninth on this list due to a sub-par year in the running game that saw him grade at -4.2 for the season. Still, he’s graded in the green in all three years as a starter and he represents a respectable option the Jets would love to keep in town as he continues his development.

and he's a badass

matt-slauson8.jpg

Nice! Glad to hear it. I also just saw that he started all 16 games over the last 3 years for the Jets.

RT @BradBiggs: #Bears will sign G Matt Slauson to a 1-yr contract, NFL source says. Ex #Jets lineman fills void created by departure of Lance Louis.

Good pickup. And Emery is really using one year contracts.

I imagine this is round 1...

I see him and Cliff re-doing a lot of these through the year.

That would be my guess as well. Sign them to a 1 year. If they look good during the year try and extend at a low price tag. If they want too much, screw them and wait for free agency next year. If they sign cheap, we get a steal.

Another great signing. Bushrod and Slauson on the left side will really solidify pass protection. Now if we do draft an OG or OC, this line is going to be really solid in complete contrast to the last couple of seasons.

He graded out great for pass protection which is amazing considering he was blocking for Sanchez. Also, for his run blocking, how much of that was because he was blocking for Greene who took an hour to hit the hole?

9. Matt Slauson

and he's a badass

matt-slauson8.jpg

The draft is going to be hella interesting. Cant wait.

He fills a major need but I still think G and LB are our top needs. Guard being the greatest of needs.

He fills a major need but I still think G and LB are our top needs. Guard being the greatest of needs.

Depends on the clubs thoughts on Carimi at RG, or maybe even their thoughts on Brown at RG. I'd really like to see them add an OC in the draft and then let Garza/Carimi/Brown all compete for RG while having Webb/Scott/Carimi compete for RT.

Depends on the clubs thoughts on Carimi at RG, or maybe even their thoughts on Brown at RG. I'd really like to see them add an OC in the draft and then let Garza/Carimi/Brown all compete for RG while having Webb/Scott/Carimi compete for RT.

I think Scott and Carimi will be backups. I can see it as this going into the season-

Bushrod (LT), Slausen (LG), Garza ©, Webb (RG), Fluker*(RT)

I know his stock is down right now, but the guy is a beast at 6 '5 300+ lbs. According to NFL.com "Fluker isn't very athletic, but he's a mauler in the run game. He could play either right tackle or slide inside to play right guard. He would provide a nice boost to Matt Forte and the rest of the rushing attack in Chicago."

I think Scott and Carimi will be backups. I can see it as this going into the season-

Bushrod (LT), Slausen (LG), Garza ©, Webb (RG), Fluker*(RT)

I know his stock is down right now, but the guy is a beast at 6 '5 300+ lbs. According to NFL.com "Fluker isn't very athletic, but he's a mauler in the run game. He could play either right tackle or slide inside to play right guard. He would provide a nice boost to Matt Forte and the rest of the rushing attack in Chicago."

Eh, I think Fluker would be better inside, I wouldn't mind the draft pick though. We all know I'm a Webb fan but I think Carimi and Fluker on the right side would be huge for the running game.

Eh, I think Fluker would be better inside, I wouldn't mind the draft pick though. We all know I'm a Webb fan but I think Carimi and Fluker on the right side would be huge for the running game.

Yeah, but that sounds like the place I'd line Clay Matthews up on passing plays. I feel like McClellin would even have a field day against that setup.

Personally, unless we pick up another FA OLman or draft a starting prospect for the OL, I wouldn't mind seeing:

Bushrod (LT), Slausen (LG), Garza ©, Carimi (RG), Scott (RT)

I thought Carimi looked decent at RG without much prep time or experience at the position and Scott I think is under valued by many fans.

I disagree I think Flukers size would make it difficult for any pass rusher to slip past the line. At least we agree that he would make a nice pick though :) In regards to Carimi, he must impress in training camp- I think Webb has the edge over the two.

Watch this video. #76 Fluker is opening up the run and eating up his counterparts in the RT position.

I havent seem anywhere they think he is a OG, he is a RT and if we draft him, thats where he will be playing.

I disagree I think Flukers size would make it difficult for any pass rusher to slip past the line. At least we agree that he would make a nice pick though :) In regards to Carimi, he must impress in training camp- I think Webb has the edge over the two.

Watch this video. #76 Fluker is opening up the run and eating up his counterparts in the RT position.

Anybody watching the video , Jones is worth watching also.

I havent seem anywhere they think he is a OG, he is a RT and if we draft him, thats where he will be playing.

Uh there was a post in this thread from NFL.com that said he could slide to RG and there are numerous reports sayings he's better off moving inside. This has been talked about on numerous occasions on the board....Having a massive body doesn't mean anything if you get off the ball slowly and are not athletic enough to regain a good position.

Uh there was a post in this thread from NFL.com that said he could slide to RG and there are numerous reports sayings he's better off moving inside. This has been talked about on numerous occasions on the board....Having a massive body doesn't mean anything if you get off the ball slowly and are not athletic enough to regain a good position.

Im not talking about on this board, I am talking about professional opinions. There have been some that have mentioned he could play OG but the overall vibe is a excellent RT.

I think Fluker can actually play OG. If that were the Bears intent with drafting him,I could live with that. As a RT,I would think it would be a waste, as we already have 3 RT's signed to compete. We need and OG and C upgrade.

I would not be mad if we took Barrett Jones in the 2nd. I love watching film on him. Very good at point of attack, sound technique, locks on when engaged and gets to the 2nd level very well.(very impressive with his hands) Smart sound player. Will be a very good C in the NFL...

I think Fluker can actually play OG. If that were the Bears intent with drafting him,I could live with that. As a RT,I would think it would be a waste, as we already have 3 RT's signed to compete. We need and OG and C upgrade.

I would not be mad if we took Barrett Jones in the 2nd. I love watching film on him. Very good at point of attack, sound technique, locks on when engaged and gets to the 2nd level very well.(very impressive with his hands) Smart sound player. Will be a very good C in the NFL...

I think Jones in the 2nd would be a great pick, can play OG until Garza loses his edge.

If I'm Emery, I actually select a guard, not a RT who can be converted to guard. Trade down and take Warford. If I want a G, I'll take Warmack or Cooper if they fall. If not, I go BPA.

I don't want them taking a guy at 20 and then moving him.

Im not talking about on this board, I am talking about professional opinions. There have been some that have mentioned he could play OG but the overall vibe is a excellent RT.

Here's a second source:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664143

WEAKNESSES: At his size, Fluker is strictly a right tackle or perhaps even a guard prospect as he hasn't demonstrated the agility or balance necessary to handle NFL speed rushers on a consistent basis. Even as a run blocker -- his specialty -- Fluker has a tendency to drop his head and stop his feet as he makes contact, resulting in some of his more talented opponents being able to disengage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've read enough who question his ability to pass protect at RT in the NFL but I'd say the majority opinion is that he'll be ok in pass protection at RT. Just ok. In short he'll be what Carimi was supposed to be: Outstanding run blocker and average pass blocker.

If we draft him I'd be willing to bet the coaches will give him a look at both spots and see where they think he fits in best. Ideally that'd be RT but if he turned into an excellent player at OG I'd be happy.