OLine/2013

Stinger226

Thing is I saw what happened when they took away Bushrod's awesome OGs and he looked very Webb like. Webb in the 2 games I focused on only him never got the same protection that JB had, and my point was had he gotten that same protection things would have been different. Now that the JB vs JW debate is over my point can really be Kromer vs Tice, when you really look at it. Or a LT on an island vs LT and a LG argument as to which situation gives the LT a better chance to survive vs the likes of Aldon Smith or Clay Matthews.

Well, this season should prove or disprove your point. Bushrod will not be lined up next to either of the Saints' beastly OGs. He will be lined up next to a decent FA pickup or a rookie. If Bushrod performs well, I expect you'll take away your mocking signature line (since it really isn't about OG+OT, and it's really about your Webb love). Or will you make an excuse and say Webb would have done just as well if he had Slauson/Long lined up next to him?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this season should prove or disprove your point. Bushrod will not be lined up next to either of the Saints' beastly OGs. He will be lined up next to a decent FA pickup or a rookie. If Bushrod performs well, I expect you'll take away your mocking signature line (since it really isn't about OG+OT, and it's really about your Webb love). Or will you make an excuse and say Webb would have done just as well if he had Slauson/Long lined up next to him?

It's not even about who the LG is really, it's about the way the LG was used to help the LT. The Bears rarely if ever gave Webb LG help. You put 2 even mediocre lineman on 1 guy and chance are that 1 guy is gonna lose. There's really no way we're gonna find that out if I was right or not with Kromer coming over with Bushrod but I suspect if Bushrod was here with Tice and constantly left on an island like Webb was we'd see similar results.

This debate between Bushrod and Webb is getting a little tedious now. The bears have made a decision LT was a weakness and they wanted to go in another direction. Webb will have his chance in the scheme that Bushrod had in New Orleans so maybe he makes the pro bowl this year. Like I have said previously I am concerned that Garza is in the backfield as much as forte and if we are protecting inside out then I like the look of the guard options but give us a centre that can hold his own.

Final comment on Bushrod V Webb l feel Bushrod is mentally stronger better prepared. I get the feeling with Webb he is a little spaced at times and this could be the occasion becomes a bit big for him or maybe he does like a smoke.

It's not even about who the LG is really, it's about the way the LG was used to help the LT. The Bears rarely if ever gave Webb LG help. You put 2 even mediocre lineman on 1 guy and chance are that 1 guy is gonna lose. There's really no way we're gonna find that out if I was right or not with Kromer coming over with Bushrod but I suspect if Bushrod was here with Tice and constantly left on an island like Webb was we'd see similar results.

Bushrod started 62 of 66 games at LT for a solid contending team and even started on their SB team. I can't seem to understand why you view him as only as good as the LG next to him.This is a 2 time pro bowler voted by his peers.Then to compare him to a raw 7th rd draft pick who has yet to prove that he belongs to be on a roster in his short time in the league is mind boggling. I want to know what stats you've researched to support this. Since 2 times against Matthews alone showed me that he struggles against elite pass rushers.

Bushrod started 62 of 66 games at LT for a solid contending team and even started on their SB team. I can't seem to understand why you view him as only as good as the LG next to him.This is a 2 time pro bowler voted by his peers.Then to compare him to a raw 7th rd draft pick who has yet to prove that he belongs to be on a roster in his short time in the league is mind boggling. I want to know what stats you've researched to support this. Since 2 times against Matthews alone showed me that he struggles against elite pass rushers.

My argument is more about the protection each guy received. If you switch the players last year and you have Bushrod constantly on an island and Webb constantly gets help from an OG IMO things would be different....I don't have any stats on it but I've showcased my research to support this in a thread earlier this offseason. Bushrod got help from his OG over half the time on passing plays while Webb got no such help. On plays where Bushrod wasn't getting help he was getting pushed back or beat much like Webb was.

It's all gravy though because Kromer is coming with him so we won't get to see Bushrod on an island.

My argument is more about the protection each guy received. If you switch the players last year and you have Bushrod constantly on an island and Webb constantly gets help from an OG IMO things would be different....I don't have any stats on it but I've showcased my research to support this in a thread earlier this offseason. Bushrod got help from his OG over half the time on passing plays while Webb got no such help. On plays where Bushrod wasn't getting help he was getting pushed back or beat much like Webb was.

It's all gravy though because Kromer is coming with him so we won't get to see Bushrod on an island.

And more likely than not Webb will be competing for playing time at RT, probably not the Left.

I do agree with your premise, to a degree. Jason and I have gone back and forth over this in similar fashion. The discussion then was about how Webb (a 7th rounder) had more playing time at starting LT than did two 1st round picks in Chris Williams and Gabe Carimi. Of course ours was a discussion more on the legitimacy of drafting an OLman in the 1st round vs a skill player. Nevertheless, I have to say I actually don't have an issue with the team picking Long this year. Not sure if it is due to senility startign to settle in or just that the team has done a good job in bringing FA talent. Of course all of this has yet to bear fruit due to the season not having started yet.

Hmm, in what thread did I do this? Did you attack me first? If you question me first then all bets are off.

You bring it up several months ago. Questioning me being a father. No i don't remember exactly what thread. Like I said before I wrote it off on u not knowing me. But fact still remains if u don't want ppl questioning your "sharpness". Maybe just maybe u shouldn't either. It goes both ways here

You bring it up several months ago. Questioning me being a father. No i don't remember exactly what thread. Like I said before I wrote it off on u not knowing me. But fact still remains if u don't want ppl questioning your "sharpness". Maybe just maybe u shouldn't either. It goes both ways here

I'd really like to know the situation and what I said because that doesn't sound like me. I try to bring a certain level of maturity to the board (despite being one of, if not the youngest guy here...odd). I don't like to resort to name calling unless the name calling comes my way first at which point I still don't like to bring myself down to someone elses level but at the same time I'm not gonna let it slip.

If I did say something offensive to you out of no where then I do apologize.

I'm not replying to all, but only what is relevant to the topic.

1. Nothing but platitudes and a different team, excuses from a HC who had a

garbage team and could be in danger of losing his job this season.

Yet an acceptable explanation, because there is always a reason for failure. I'll take continuity, if it's actually valid, over saying a highly talented group of people who have excelled at every level athletics, simply suck.

2. See #1. Also, this could be used against you. The Vikings had PERFECT OL

continuity, yet they only managed 14th in points and 20th in yards while

watching Adrian Peterson go for one of the best seasons by a RB in history.

How blind are you. Christian Ponder? Percy Harvin missing half the season. No other options in the passing game? Yet they run wild on a barely healed AP knee? You should get that, but you'd rather be right than correct...

4. Actually disproves what you're trying to say. The Bears OL in 2009

(Pace-Omiyale-Kreutz-Garza-Williams) was horrible and they're 12th in

continuity.

That was 12 in continuity at seasons end. Kind of a bad stat. Pace's only year with team and he simply wasn't physically capable anymore and our stubborn coaches held on. Omiyale, first year at OG maybe? Williams first year at RT. And talent does play a part. Just not the major.

5. See #1, but more specifically a shallow, 1 out of 5 attempt to explain what

was wrong with the Cowboys, when the answer is much more complex.

It doesn't go toward the entire team. Simply OL performance.

Look, I'm not saying continuity isn't important. But talent trumps continuity.

Why are you being so stupid about this? It's very simple. Take 5 great players

who don't know one another and they'll do well. Let them play 3 years together

and they will dominate. Take 5 guys from this board and they will suck. Let

them play 10 years together and they will still suck. You can take continuity,

and I'll take Bushrod replacing Webb.

Funny that OL continuity is such an

important issue, but DLs regularly rotate out and it's considered a smarter

approach. Is DL continuity completely unimportant?

Stupid? I never called you you stupid for dangling off TO's nutsack last year. But could have. Or when you were clearly wrong on the Webb V Williams debate last year. Time to check yourself before you wreck yourself. I can access a totall dickhead side of myself if I need to. Just choose not.

DL has nothing to do with OL, but you can look at basketball in comparison to OL continuity. The Heat assembled an all star lineup, but did NOT win a championship in their 1st year. Now, in their 3rd year, they are on a rampage. Reason = continuity. Look at this years LA Lakers cast and crew. Continuity! They started to get it together toward the end of the season when they started to develop... wait for it! ...CONTINUITY.

All NFL caliber players have a degree of talent if placed in the right system and given time to develop. But, it is very clear that you can't put it together and expect them to thrive without continuity. It takes time. You know that. If you assembled the best collective OL talent in the NFL, not the all world OL you dreamed of to start. They would need continuity before they would actually BE the best OL in football. End of lesson.

I realize due to your stubborn nature, you will continue your argument, but I get bored quickly. Do your best, you will still be wrong. Just accept it.

Our LG was horrible last year but let's be clear on Webb...he cannot handle stunts and delayed rushes. He has other deficiencies too and is very susceptible to double moves especially outside rushers who then come back inside. Whatever he deems as his first assignment he goes after it. Dom Capers knows this and abused him left and right last season.

You watch highlights of Long and he already gets this, in fact I'd say he's very good at keeping his awareness of the pass rushers all around him despite his limited experience. I suspect, but haven't seen enough of him yet, that Bushrod handles these things far better than Webb even if Bushrod doesn't always have the athleticism to get out wide enough to make the play as well as the elite LT can.

That's the whole issue with our oline last year. Nobody knew who on a given play was going to completely whiff on a block. Cutler could have 1 sec to throw or he could have 3 sec to throw but he never knew. If we can stop letting one guy go completely free at the QB then life gets much better overall for the passing game. When speaking of continuity this is the continuity I want to see.

That's the whole issue with our oline last year. Nobody knew who on a given play was going to completely whiff on a block. Cutler could have 1 sec to throw or he could have 3 sec to throw but he never knew. If we can stop letting one guy go completely free at the QB then life gets much better overall for the passing game. When speaking of continuity this is the continuity I want to see.

There are several reasons we had so many whiffs last year: trust, line calls and knowledge in the system are huge points that all relate to continuity. Garza was in his 1st year at C, Spencer and Rachal were 1st year LG's for us and Tice was a 1st year OC. Add that to a cast of marginally talented guys and you have a recipe for disaster. I would imagine new Englands line would have struggled if we say, shuffled the positions, changed OC's and swapped Brady for Cutler.

I really don't mind if you reply to my posts, I enjoy a good debate. Just never question my "sharpness", or never question anyones "sharpness" for that matter, it's childish and it's something that should not be done on a message board. You can just offer up your opinion like I do mine and we'll be just fine.

Exactly. And to this day I will still defend my point on the whole Webb vs Bushrod situation. That point being if you give Webb the kind of protection Bushrod had in Nola that he would be just as good as Bushrod or at the very least he would be more highly thought of than he has been here in chicago. I profiled the type of protection Bushrod got on here pretty extensively here to further validate my point but no one here was taking it and you all were taking it as I was saying more than I really was....I think AZ was the only one who really understood my point.

Much like we won't be able to see if Tebow>McCown we won't be able to see if Webb would hold up even better than he did when he gets constant help from his LG.

Thank you sir, you are exactly right. If someone offers up a valid argument that stumps me I will admit that I am wrong or acknowledge that I didn't think of it that way.

Give me a break with all your holier that thou attitude, you constantly make comments. The comment was( I thought you were sharp) I didnt call you an idiot. You make a comment that you dont care what anyone thinks and then turns around and state you dont like me questioning you sharpness. The problem is if I question you ,you dont like it, if someone else questions you its ok. I dont like you anymore than you like me so deal with it.

All right, I don't like using admin threats on this board...but stop with the personal insults. That's about our biggest rule.

Thanks Balta, this will help make the offseason not so long. I don't want to avoid posting because I have to weed through threads of one on one attacks. Also there have been some backhanded comments by a poster proclaiming his intelligence over everyone. I hope that stops too because, its about our love for the Bears and not how much someone is smarter than the other.

I'm not replying to all, but only what is relevant to the topic.

Yet an acceptable explanation, because there is always a reason for failure. I'll take continuity, if it's actually valid, over saying a highly talented group of people who have excelled at every level athletics, simply suck.

How blind are you. Christian Ponder? Percy Harvin missing half the season. No other options in the passing game? Yet they run wild on a barely healed AP knee? You should get that, but you'd rather be right than correct...

That was 12 in continuity at seasons end. Kind of a bad stat. Pace's only year with team and he simply wasn't physically capable anymore and our stubborn coaches held on. Omiyale, first year at OG maybe? Williams first year at RT. And talent does play a part. Just not the major.

It doesn't go toward the entire team. Simply OL performance.

Stupid? I never called you you stupid for dangling off TO's nutsack last year. But could have. Or when you were clearly wrong on the Webb V Williams debate last year. Time to check yourself before you wreck yourself. I can access a totall dickhead side of myself if I need to. Just choose not.

DL has nothing to do with OL, but you can look at basketball in comparison to OL continuity. The Heat assembled an all star lineup, but did NOT win a championship in their 1st year. Now, in their 3rd year, they are on a rampage. Reason = continuity. Look at this years LA Lakers cast and crew. Continuity! They started to get it together toward the end of the season when they started to develop... wait for it! ...CONTINUITY.

All NFL caliber players have a degree of talent if placed in the right system and given time to develop. But, it is very clear that you can't put it together and expect them to thrive without continuity. It takes time. You know that. If you assembled the best collective OL talent in the NFL, not the all world OL you dreamed of to start. They would need continuity before they would actually BE the best OL in football. End of lesson.

I realize due to your stubborn nature, you will continue your argument, but I get bored quickly. Do your best, you will still be wrong. Just accept it.

I didn't say you were stupid, just that you were being stupid on this one. And it's completely true. Why you hold on to this flawed concept of continuity over talent is beyond me, because it's simply wrong. In every sport, on every level, if you give me a team of more talented guys - and I'm not talked about a marginal difference - the guys who have better continuity will lose. The Lakers example is a horrible one because it has almost zero to do with continuity, and almost everything to do with Kobe being a ball hog, two elite big men who didn't get the ball enough, and a head coach with an ill-fitting offensive system and a non-existent defensive system.

Talent is important. Continuity is important. But if you have to sacrifice one, talent is not the one to sacrifice. An OL full of 7th round guys who have several years of continuity is simply not going to do as well as an OL full of non-bust 1st-3rd round talent. Period. Ignore it all you want, but you're always going to be wrong. Why is this so difficult for your to comprehend? You do realize the NFL teams attempt to make draft picks in sequential order because they figure the earlier rounds have better players don't you? Nobody covets all 32 picks in the 7th round. If continuity were so much more important than talent, then WHY DOES ANY TEAM CHANGE OLINEMEN? Riddle me that.

Also, I think you should recheck the football outsiders continuity score link you posted. The Bears had a 33 according to their chart (take 48, subtract 2 for extra starters, then 3 for line changes, then [16-6] for longest stretch). That puts them 12th in continuity, and they sucked. Don't like that, go back to the year before when the Bears were PERFECT in continuity score according to football outsiders. And guess what? The offense sucked again! If you're going to provide a link to something, at least be sure you comprehend it and it supports your side of a debate.

Side issues:

-TO would have helped the team on the field. The Bears needed another reliable WR. Particularly when Alshon went down. I can't prove it, but you can't disprove it either. Teams stayed away from him more for his antics and lack of longevity than anything else.

-Williams got screwed in Chicago nearly the entire time he was on the team. The fact that Webb is being kicked around like a tin can kind of proves that he shouldn't have been starting (something nearly everyone has been saying for a while). If Williams got half the chance that Webb got to start at a single position he might have actually lived up to his lofty first round potential.

I didn't say you were stupid, just that you were being stupid on this one. And it's completely true. Why you hold on to this flawed concept of continuity over talent is beyond me, because it's simply wrong. In every sport, on every level, if you give me a team of more talented guys - and I'm not talked about a marginal difference - the guys who have better continuity will lose. The Lakers example is a horrible one because it has almost zero to do with continuity, and almost everything to do with Kobe being a ball hog, two elite big men who didn't get the ball enough, and a head coach with an ill-fitting offensive system and a non-existent defensive system.

Talent is important. Continuity is important. But if you have to sacrifice one, talent is not the one to sacrifice. An OL full of 7th round guys who have several years of continuity is simply not going to do as well as an OL full of non-bust 1st-3rd round talent. Period. Ignore it all you want, but you're always going to be wrong. Why is this so difficult for your to comprehend? You do realize the NFL teams attempt to make draft picks in sequential order because they figure the earlier rounds have better players don't you? Nobody covets all 32 picks in the 7th round. If continuity were so much more important than talent, then WHY DOES ANY TEAM CHANGE OLINEMEN? Riddle me that.

Also, I think you should recheck the football outsiders continuity score link you posted. The Bears had a 33 according to their chart (take 48, subtract 2 for extra starters, then 3 for line changes, then [16-6] for longest stretch). That puts them 12th in continuity, and they sucked. Don't like that, go back to the year before when the Bears were PERFECT in continuity score according to football outsiders. And guess what? The offense sucked again! If you're going to provide a link to something, at least be sure you comprehend it and it supports your side of a debate.

Side issues:

-TO would have helped the team on the field. The Bears needed another reliable WR. Particularly when Alshon went down. I can't prove it, but you can't disprove it either. Teams stayed away from him more for his antics and lack of longevity than anything else.

-Williams got screwed in Chicago nearly the entire time he was on the team. The fact that Webb is being kicked around like a tin can kind of proves that he shouldn't have been starting (something nearly everyone has been saying for a while). If Williams got half the chance that Webb got to start at a single position he might have actually lived up to his lofty first round potential.

I agree with most of your comments except for Williams,if he had the talent on a team in need of OTs he would have stuck out. He hasnt did anything since being released so everything cant be blamed on being moved around so much.

Side issues:

Wow Jason have you had coffee yet?If the answer is no I'm impressed.

Some reading material. There's a lot more where that came from.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-poi...ntinuity-scores

Just to further disprove that stupid Football Outsiders link, here's proof that continuity has no bearing on offensive success, and the change of continuity from year to year does not necessarily have a positive correlation with the change in an offenses productivity from year to year.

Year Team Cont. Score Off. Rank Cont.Score 08 Off. Rank Cont.Change Off.Rank Change
2009 NYJ 48 17 48 9 0 -8
2009 TB 40 20 35 19 5 -1
2009 ARI 39 11 48 4 -9 -7
2009 DAL 39 14 31 18 8 4
2009 CAR 38 21 25 7 13 -14
2009 PIT 37 12 39 20 -2 8
2009 MIA 35 15 39 21 -4 6
2009 TEN 35 16 45 14 -10 -2
2009 ATL 34 13 38 10 -4 -3
2009 JAC 34 24 32 24 2 0
2009 NO 34 1 28 1 6 0
2009 CHI 33 19 48 15 -15 -4
2009 SD 33 4 33 2 0 -2
2009 HOU 32 10 48 17 -16 7
2009 MIN 32 2 32 12 0 10
2009 NYG 32 8 48 3 -16 -5
2009 PHI 31 5 30 6 1 1
2009 SF 31 18 29 22 2 4
2009 SEA 30 25 26 25 4 0
2009 BAL 29 9 27 11 2 2
2009 GB 29 3 30 5 -1 2
2009 NE 29 6 35 8 -6 2
2009 CLE 28 29 30 31 -2 2
2009 CIN 27 22 37 32 -10 10
2009 KC 27 23 29 26 -2 3
2009 STL 27 32 25 30 2 -2
2009 DEN 26 20 48 16 -22 -4
2009 IND 26 7 29 13 -3 6
2009 DET 25 27 21 27 4 0
2009 OAK 25 31 29 29 -4 -2
2009 WAS 23 26 29 28 -6 2
2009 BUF 21 28 30 23 -9 -5

NEXT!

I agree with most of your comments except for Williams,if he had the talent on a team in need of OTs he would have stuck out. He hasnt did anything since being released so everything cant be blamed on being moved around so much.

I firmly believe a player's destiny is shaped by his past. This is especially true for professional athletes because they've been coddled nearly their entire lives for being the BMOC. I suspect it's probably even more true for offensive linemen, many of who were fat as children and are more prone to give up when faced with serious adversity. (I know this is a vast over-generalization, but you don't see many ripped offensive linemen) When guys like Williams get pushed around a bit, don't excel like he has his entire life, get dumped on by a coach who apparently couldn't develop, evaluate, or coach offensive line talent if his life depended on it, and suddenly their motor is not the same, their production is not the same, they are not the same.

This is going to be my last post about this silly "situation"

Give me a break with all your holier that thou attitude, you constantly make comments. The comment was( I thought you were sharp) I didnt call you an idiot. You make a comment that you dont care what anyone thinks and then turns around and state you dont like me questioning you sharpness. The problem is if I question you ,you dont like it, if someone else questions you its ok. I dont like you anymore than you like me so deal with it.

I like you, you're a fun poster, but lets just keep it football related here.

Thanks Balta, this will help make the offseason not so long. I don't want to avoid posting because I have to weed through threads of one on one attacks. Also there have been some backhanded comments by a poster proclaiming his intelligence over everyone. I hope that stops too because, its about our love for the Bears and not how much someone is smarter than the other.

I do apologize if my comments have come across as arrogant to the extent that you think I'm trying to say I'm more intelligent than everyone. That's not my goal with the comments. I know I was trying to fight fire with fire with me name calling after being called a name and thats not the way to do things.

Let's carry on....JWebb for president

I would say that the type of offense they play in does affect how good someone may actually perform. Webb would probably be a little better playing in the NO offense and Bushrod a little worse playing in CHI offense (of last year). However, with Trestman at the helm, I think both of them have the potential to be better this year.

I would say that the type of offense they play in does affect how good someone may actually perform. Webb would probably be a little better playing in the NO offense and Bushrod a little worse playing in CHI offense (of last year). However, with Trestman at the helm, I think both of them have the potential to be better this year.

Absolutely, Trestman will spread the field with Bennett and Forte as a real threat to catch the ball out of the backfield forcing teams LBs to stay back to respect those 2 guys resulting in less of a pass rush. Of course the WCO and getting the ball out quicker will also help everyone on the line...There's also no denying that Webb has some competition this year with Scott, Mills, and technically maybe even Carimi and Long as well. That and with no Tice around fans can't say that J'Marcus didn't earn the spot if he's the starting RT.

Absolutely, Trestman will spread the field with Bennett and Forte as a real threat to catch the ball out of the backfield forcing teams LBs to stay back to respect those 2 guys resulting in less of a pass rush. Of course the WCO and getting the ball out quicker will also help everyone on the line...There's also no denying that Webb has some competition this year with Scott, Mills, and technically maybe even Carimi and Long as well. That and with no Tice around fans can't say that J'Marcus didn't earn the spot if he's the starting RT.

Not just getting the ball out quicker...but I've been saying for a while, one of the hallmarks of the NOLA line is that the lineman against the opposing team's best rusher always had help.

Not just getting the ball out quicker...but I've been saying for a while, one of the hallmarks of the NOLA line is that the lineman against the opposing team's best rusher always had help.

That has been my point this whole offseason so I absolutely agree. We won't be leaving Webb, or anyone really, out there on an island with the likes of Aldon Smith or Clay Matthews. No one in the league is gonna lock those guys down 1v1 so it was silly to have Webb, who a lot of people deem god awful, out there trying to block those guys 1v1....it certainly will be nice to have Kromer running things on the OL.