Post game thoughts

BearFan2000

While I wasn't able to find an online stream till late in the second quarter and thus missed the bears 3 first half TD's I'll comment on what I saw.

Offensively. We are inconsistent, when things are clicking we look great but we seem to hit a snag, be it a bad play, and the rest of the drive loses it's flow.

We keep wanting to run Forte inside but don't get the push in the middle to give him a chance, he's not the type of back that can maul up the middle and make his own hole. Forte's at his best when he can use his vision make cuts. If we can't open holes up the middle then we need to stop running him there.

I thought Jay looked pretty sharp, made good decisions, I felt the grounding call late in the game was iffy, he was throwing it at Forte's feet and felt he got it close enough to forte.

we had some drops on key plays that ended drives at critical points in the game.

Time Management/urgency. It was maddening to watch the end of the first half we had over a min and 1 time out and we were just milling around lining up wasting precious time as if we had all the time in the world. I've seen us run a no huddle/hurry up, but no idea why we didn't there, that is when you need to be aggressive with that lead, try to get 6 not just settle to get yourself in position to try a long FG.

Defensively

Need to learn to tackle, I see a Defense that is not fundamentally sound, I continue to see arm tackles, trying to hit guys to the ground, and taking bad angles. Jacobs game today is a prime example, on a guy like that you need to get lower and get leverage to either get him off his feet or take his feet out from under him, when you let guys like that keep their feet moving bad things happen. I'm tired of watching bad things happen.

We are a sieve on D, if we don't get the take aways we couldn't stop a nose bleed. And it starts up front, no pressure, and no run stopping. You have to have push up the middle and you have to contain the outside we don't do much of either. We let QB's have all day to throw, we let RB's cram the ball down our throat and we let them have the edge.

3rd Down... I don't know what the stats were but it seemed every time we got them into third and med to long we let them off the hook with a huge conversion. We have got to get off the field on 3rd down, too many long drives, and chunk plays. In the past we may have allowed a team to drive on us but we would force them to nickle and dime their way down the field and capitalize on their mistakes. Now we let them drive at will up and down the field.

I hate to say it but I'm beginning to question Tucker and to some extent Trestman's coaching. Maybe I'm expecting too much too quickly but we don't seem as disciplined as a whole as we have in the past. Marinelli had that defense playing at a high level, Toub had our special teams top notch, and I feel like our offense is only marginally better at this point. I'm speaking here in generalities as there are positives on offense that we've seen. Such as better play by Jay, better pocket presence, better line play, better weapons, and Jay has had a cleaner pocket to throw from. I see an offense that has potential but hasn't put it all together yet. We see glimpses, but we're inconsistent which is partly to be expected.

The D shouldn't be this bad, with all the vets we have in there, and running the same scheme that they did under Lovie, perhaps the mistake here was that Tucker didn't implement his system, but rather let the inmates run the asylum. That was supposed to be a positive thing with the mindset of if it ain't broke don't fix it. Well guess what it's broke and it needs to be fixed. Sure we've had injuries but were weren't playing well before the injuries. I do feel like if we can tighten up the tackling, and figure out how to get pressure especially up the middle then I feel like the D can stabilize.

All in all, while not a satisfying win by any stretch. We are 4-2, and on top of the division by .5 game over Detroit. We play another weak but dangerous team in Washington who's currently 1-3 and could very well be 1-4 come next Sunday. We have an extended time to get ready for them and a much needed bye week after that game. In that bye week I think the D needs to get back to fundamentals and the offense needs to work on consistency, and getting better at being on the same page. With a win of the Skins we could enter the bye week 5-2 and in the lead in the division. Detroit has a tough matchup this week against the Browns especially if Johnson is a no go again. and another tough matchup vs the Bengals the following week.

While I wasn't able to find an online stream till late in the second quarter and thus missed the bears 3 first half TD's I'll comment on what I saw.

Offensively. We are inconsistent, when things are clicking we look great but we seem to hit a snag, be it a bad play, and the rest of the drive loses it's flow.

We keep wanting to run Forte inside but don't get the push in the middle to give him a chance, he's not the type of back that can maul up the middle and make his own hole. Forte's at his best when he can use his vision make cuts. If we can't open holes up the middle then we need to stop running him there.

I thought Jay looked pretty sharp, made good decisions, I felt the grounding call late in the game was iffy, he was throwing it at Forte's feet and felt he got it close enough to forte.

we had some drops on key plays that ended drives at critical points in the game.

Time Management/urgency. It was maddening to watch the end of the first half we had over a min and 1 time out and we were just milling around lining up wasting precious time as if we had all the time in the world. I've seen us run a no huddle/hurry up, but no idea why we didn't there, that is when you need to be aggressive with that lead, try to get 6 not just settle to get yourself in position to try a long FG.

Defensively

Need to learn to tackle, I see a Defense that is not fundamentally sound, I continue to see arm tackles, trying to hit guys to the ground, and taking bad angles. Jacobs game today is a prime example, on a guy like that you need to get lower and get leverage to either get him off his feet or take his feet out from under him, when you let guys like that keep their feet moving bad things happen. I'm tired of watching bad things happen.

We are a sieve on D, if we don't get the take aways we couldn't stop a nose bleed. And it starts up front, no pressure, and no run stopping. You have to have push up the middle and you have to contain the outside we don't do much of either. We let QB's have all day to throw, we let RB's cram the ball down our throat and we let them have the edge.

3rd Down... I don't know what the stats were but it seemed every time we got them into third and med to long we let them off the hook with a huge conversion. We have got to get off the field on 3rd down, too many long drives, and chunk plays. In the past we may have allowed a team to drive on us but we would force them to nickle and dime their way down the field and capitalize on their mistakes. Now we let them drive at will up and down the field.

I hate to say it but I'm beginning to question Tucker and to some extent Trestman's coaching. Maybe I'm expecting too much too quickly but we don't seem as disciplined as a whole as we have in the past. Marinelli had that defense playing at a high level, Toub had our special teams top notch, and I feel like our offense is only marginally better at this point. I'm speaking here in generalities as there are positives on offense that we've seen. Such as better play by Jay, better pocket presence, better line play, better weapons, and Jay has had a cleaner pocket to throw from. I see an offense that has potential but hasn't put it all together yet. We see glimpses, but we're inconsistent which is partly to be expected.

The D shouldn't be this bad, with all the vets we have in there, and running the same scheme that they did under Lovie, perhaps the mistake here was that Tucker didn't implement his system, but rather let the inmates run the asylum. That was supposed to be a positive thing with the mindset of if it ain't broke don't fix it. Sure we've had injuries but were weren't playing well before the injuries. I do feel like if we can tighten up the tackling, and figure out how to get pressure especially up the middle then I feel like the D can stabilize.

All in all, while not a satisfying win by any stretch. We are 4-2, and on top of the division by .5 game over Detroit. We play another weak but dangerous team in Washington who's currently 1-3 and could very well be 1-4 come next Sunday. We have an extended time to get ready for them and a much needed bye week after that game. In that bye week I think the D needs to get back to fundamentals and the offense needs to work on consistency, and getting better at being on the same page. With a win of the Skins we could enter the bye week 5-2 and possibly 1.5 games up over the Lions who have a tough matchup against the Browns especially if Johnson isn't able to go again.

I would agree on the Forte comments, he is not an up the gut back. I think Trestman has some good designs for him with the passes to the back and the pitches to get him wide.

As for the offense, I am happy with what I have seen to this point. There are glimpses of some excellent calls taking advantage of the defense with some flashes of real nice execution. I hope for the continued growth. Mayock had a great point in the fourth quarter when the line stunt called for the front five to slant to the left, leaving the right edge open, with the back obligated to block that open edge rusher. Forte slanted left with the line, so a good line call, but perhaps some miscommunication on Forte's part. Once these four new line starters really gel with the whole unit, that probably doesn't happen and Jay gets extra time.

As for the defense, surely the loss of our tackles does not help, but I can't help but wonder what else is really missing. I don't think we took a huge step backwards with our two new linebackers. Peanut's early injuries surely don't help. But the safety play is sorely lacking and McFailin is not progressing like anyone thought. He really looks overmatched out there. Tucker needs to be creative in how he uses him or throw caution to the wind and let some rookies have their moment.

Well said. I agree with everything. The problem on offense is the running game. They are constantly wasting plays running up the middle with forte on 1st and 10 or 3rd and short, which winds up costing us points on the scoreboard. Cutler was about as sharp as he's ever been tonight, but the team still only managed to put up 20 points against the worst or 2nd worst defense in the league. I just don't get the play calling when it comes to running the ball. There's no way they should be as bad as they are with a new offensive line that's way more physical than the one we had a year ago. I think it comes down to play calling and design.

(13:26) 22-M.Forte left guard to NYG 5 for 5 yards (26-A.Rolle).

(12:43) 22-M.Forte right guard to NYG 4 for 1 yard (52-J.Beason).

(:48) (Shotgun) 22-M.Forte right guard to NYG 12 for -1 yards (90-J.Pierre-Paul).

15:00) #62 E. Britton reports eligible. 22-M.Forte right guard to NYG 10 for 2 yards (21-R.Mundy).

10:31) 22-M.Forte right guard to CHI 27 for 7 yards (52-J.Beason).

6:06) 22-M.Forte right guard to NYG 3 for 2 yards (97-L.Joseph).

end of half runs to get 1st down...

1:59) #62 E. Britton reports eligible. 22-M.Forte left guard to NYG 43 for no gain (91-J.Tuck).

3-1-NYG 43

3rd quarter...

14:11) 22-M.Forte right guard to CHI 42 for 1 yard (52-J.Beason).

7:35) 22-M.Forte left guard to CHI 44 for no gain (52-J.Beason).

14:06) 22-M.Forte left guard to CHI 38 for 5 yards (93-M.Patterson).

22yds on 10 inside runs. Not good at all but I don't think we can eliminate this from our playbook or we will have more issues running to the outside.

Serious question, did Peppers play? I could have sworn I seen him out there but the box score suggests no, and it doesn't show up on espn game logs(they have them up for other players).

I know he's seeing some double teams but is it really every down? I may have to break down the game to see just how much DT he's actually seeing.

Also...

I absolutely love seeing them using 6 Olinemen. When all you really need in the passing game is Marshall, Jeffery, Martellus, and Forte then it makes sense to give Jay all the time he needs to get those guys the ball. When Jay has the time he's a straight up boss.

This I don't agree with.

Franchise player Melton = out

New starter DT Collins = out

Run stuffing DT Paea = out

Losing your top 3 DTs is always going to gut a defense. The fact that Peppers seems to have aged in dog years over the offseason and McClellin is exactly who many thought he was doesn't help. Thank God for Wooten at this point, because he's the only one who appears to have any game-breaking ability. Losing Tillman for a stretch hurts. And regardless of the flack, the Bears miss Urlacher.

As for Trestman and the offense, what more do you want? Top ten rushing, passing, and total offense. Cutler has protection. Both WRs are being used. The TE is being used. The balance on offense is keeping opponents off balance. I agree with inconsistency, but to say they're only marginally better is ridiculous. The Bears were bottom five in total and passing offense last year. This turnaround is incredible.

Well said!

The urgency issue is really annoying for me. Why is this an issue w/ a professional squad? Also, why are we taking a TO on first down too many times after a fairly big play. Get up and run the next play! After that TO, we just ran up the gut. A TO for that? I could see on burning a TO on 3rd down...but on first...for a no gain gut run? Just bad...

I like Trestman...but enough with the 4th down going for it. Only do so when the score and time of the game dictate it or you are in no man's land with small yrd needed. (Between kicking a FG and not quite worth punting...like the 42yd line...)

Defensively

The D shouldn't be this bad, with all the vets we have in there, and running the same scheme that they did under Lovie, perhaps the mistake here was that Tucker didn't implement his system, but rather let the inmates run the asylum. That was supposed to be a positive thing with the mindset of if it ain't broke don't fix it. Well guess what it's broke and it needs to be fixed. Sure we've had injuries but were weren't playing well before the injuries. I do feel like if we can tighten up the tackling, and figure out how to get pressure especially up the middle then I feel like the D can stabilize.

All in all, while not a satisfying win by any stretch. We are 4-2, and on top of the division by .5 game over Detroit. We play another weak but dangerous team in Washington who's currently 1-3 and could very well be 1-4 come next Sunday. We have an extended time to get ready for them and a much needed bye week after that game. In that bye week I think the D needs to get back to fundamentals and the offense needs to work on consistency, and getting better at being on the same page. With a win of the Skins we could enter the bye week 5-2 and in the lead in the division. Detroit has a tough matchup this week against the Browns especially if Johnson is a no go again. and another tough matchup vs the Bengals the following week.

Good points.

But please let Url go...the Bears miss Singletary too, but he's also retired. Let's move on from that one and deal with the hand we are dealt.

Tucker, right now, has an extremely thankless job. He's dealing with a transitional defense and a rash of injuries that even Dick LeBeau would struggle with. THis is a town used to great D, and we're not getting it. If he can do anything positive with this D from here on out it'll be focussing on tackling, getting the damn safeties in place, calling a little better game, finding the right time to blitz...and that will be a job well done. I hope he's up to the challenge.

And BTW - Di Camilis needs to get his unit tackling better as well. That's a serious dropoff from Toub... Again, more fuel for my bizarro world thought. A previous strength, now a potential weakness. (Except Gould...who is still the gold standard of kicking....excet on-sides)

This I don't agree with.

Losing your top 3 DTs is always going to gut a defense. The fact that Peppers seems to have aged in dog years over the offseason and McClellin is exactly who many thought he was doesn't help. Thank God for Wooten at this point, because he's the only one who appears to have any game-breaking ability. Losing Tillman for a stretch hurts. And regardless of the flack, the Bears miss Urlacher.

As for Trestman and the offense, what more do you want? Top ten rushing, passing, and total offense. Cutler has protection. Both WRs are being used. The TE is being used. The balance on offense is keeping opponents off balance. I agree with inconsistency, but to say they're only marginally better is ridiculous. The Bears were bottom five in total and passing offense last year. This turnaround is incredible.

Good points.

But please let Url go...the Bears miss Singletary too, but he's also retired. Let's move on from that one and deal with the hand we are dealt.

Tucker, right now, has an extremely thankless job. He's dealing with a transitional defense and a rash of injuries that even Dick LeBeau would struggle with. THis is a town used to great D, and we're not getting it. If he can do anything positive with this D from here on out it'll be focussing on tackling, getting the damn safeties in place, calling a little better game, finding the right time to blitz...and that will be a job well done. I hope he's up to the challenge.

And BTW - Di Camilis needs to get his unit tackling better as well. That's a serious dropoff from Toub... Again, more fuel for my bizarro world thought. A previous strength, now a potential weakness. (Except Gould...who is still the gold standard of kicking....excet on-sides)

Agree on the special teams. The big return we gave up Weems followed McMannis into the same gap. If Weems holds his lane there is no big return. I see him as cap space in January. Hester hasn't done anything much lately to make his cap space worth it either but teams still punt away from him. He killed one of his return opportunities by going offsides on an extra point.

This I don't agree with.

Agreed, we are not going to stop runs up the middle with a 270lb DT (Wootton). It is only going to get worse with our starting LBs (Williams and Anderson both injured). Briggs was questionable for this game too. Fortunately we have 10 days to get healthier for the Redskins and then a very welcome bye week to continue getting healthier.

I will say this, Bostic fills holes a lot better than DJ Williams, he just needs to learn which gap to get into but he'll be good long term. I do worry if we have to go with Greene over Anderson because we will suffer in pass coverage. This is going to be a bend but don't break D for the rest of the season and we will have to rely on turnovers from players like Briggs, Tillman, and Jennings. I've already made the mental adjustment by tipping the beer can more often when the D is on the field whereas in years past it was when the O was on the field.

Agreed, we are not going to stop runs up the middle with a 270lb DT (Wootton). It is only going to get worse with our starting LBs (Williams and Anderson both injured). Briggs was questionable for this game too. Fortunately we have 10 days to get healthier for the Redskins and then a very welcome bye week to continue getting healthier.

I will say this, Bostic fills holes a lot better than DJ Williams, he just needs to learn which gap to get into but he'll be good long term. I do worry if we have to go with Greene over Anderson because we will suffer in pass coverage. This is going to be a bend but don't break D for the rest of the season and we will have to rely on turnovers from players like Briggs, Tillman, and Jennings. I've already made the mental adjustment by tipping the beer can more often when the D is on the field whereas in years past it was when the O was on the field.

I'm not saying you're wrong because we haven't seen enough of him but for what its worth he was recruited to play safety in college, a position he played his first 2 years at Rutgers. Once again, not saying you're wrong, just saying I don't share the same concerns.

This I don't agree with.

Injuries have played a huge part in the defenses downfall but they were pretty bad when most everybody was healthy the first couple games as well. I don't think it's a coincidence that this team is last in the NFL in sacks. IIRC Mel Tucker's Jaguar defenses were also last in the NFL in sacks the year before he took over the Bears defense. Rod Mareneli's presence is being understated here IMO. Also, the tackling and gap control shouldn't be this bad. That is on coaching.

The offense is coming along, but I don't think they are as good as the numbers suggest. Their stats are very misleading when you take into account the way some of it has happen, specifically the games against the Lions and Saints when half their offense has come in the 4th quarter after the opposing team goes into prevent mode to protect a huge lead. Before last night, they weren't accomplishing much early in games. Part of me wonders if it's Marc Trestman not adjusting very well to adjustments other teams have made against the Bears. No one expects perfection, but when you have a defense that's really bad, the Bears "O" needs to be better than they have played if they want to make the playoffs and beat really good teams.

As Keyshawn would say; "c'mon man!". You're comparing apples to oranges. Singletary retired the better part of 20 years ago and Urlacher just last year. He could've been playing this year for the team. As I stated in another post, I feel that Emery's dealing with Urlacher and Izzy this last year is coming back to bite the team. Williams is not what everyone claimed him to be, a decent replacement to Url. I cannot let it go because the way Emery dealt with this situation could paint a bigger picture for future deals. Half the team will need new contracts next year and I'm still interested to see how that will play out. But if he keeps going forward with this 'my way or highway' mentality, it could only damage our team in the long run.

One thing that Tucker could do is bring his ass out of the skybox. I have always hated seeing a coach, especially a primary coordinator, that sits in the sky booth calling plays. Martz did it and it bugged me then too. Those guys need to be down with the playres so they are getting instant feedback from them. What he's doing equates to me sitting at home playing Madden 25 on the XBox. Thankless or not he needs to coach not advise.

As Keyshawn would say; "c'mon man!". You're comparing apples to oranges. Singletary retired the better part of 20 years ago and Urlacher just last year. He could've been playing this year for the team. As I stated in another post, I feel that Emery's dealing with Urlacher and Izzy this last year is coming back to bite the team. Williams is not what everyone claimed him to be, a decent replacement to Url. I cannot let it go because the way Emery dealt with this situation could paint a bigger picture for future deals. Half the team will need new contracts next year and I'm still interested to see how that will play out. But if he keeps going forward with this 'my way or highway' mentality, it could only damage our team in the long run.

One thing that Tucker could do is bring his ass out of the skybox. I have always hated seeing a coach, especially a primary coordinator, that sits in the sky booth calling plays. Martz did it and it bugged me then too. Those guys need to be down with the playres so they are getting instant feedback from them. What he's doing equates to me sitting at home playing Madden 25 on the XBox. Thankless or not he needs to coach not advise.

Wow, people are asking for urlacker? He is no longer in football for a reason, the NfL gave up on him time for the URL groupies to do the same.

Wow, people are asking for urlacker? He is no longer in football for a reason, the NfL gave up on him time for the URL groupies to do the same.

This.

He is done.

Great player in his time but it was clear last year he had lost a step.

The Bears offered him a contract. He turned it down because he thought he could get more. He did not.

Again, he is done.

Peace :dabears

Please show me where I said "bring back Uralcker" (sic). Rather than pull out of a sentence what you want to hear/read please...I beg you... understand what was written.

And Connor; thank you for pointing out the obvious. I know he is "done" again, not the point I was trying to make. From Stinger I'm not so surprised, but you?

I should have taken Cracker Jacks advice but “Persistency is a fool's best asset”. Thusly I too am done. Good night Gracie!

It would stand to reason that much of the reason for the D not performing would be the injuries in the middle, which would be hard for any team to cope with.....

But, Peppers seems to have disappeared and one does have to wonder whether some of the changes made were for the best. Hindsight is always 20/20, and as a very anti-Url guy I hate to admit it, but it is something to consider as to whether maybe Url could have helped a bit this year....would have been nice if he had accepted the offer he was given and seen how it turned out.

We better get some tackles healthy fast and Peppers better start playing better or we are not going to rise much above mediocrity this year methinks.

One of the biggest problems with this defense is the money Peppers is making. If you then stack is up with what Briggs, Melton, Tillman and possibly Jennings are making then how can Emery improve in the short term. Would both Izzey and Brian have come back to the Bears and accepted 1 million and 2 million respectively, I don't think so and it would have been probably 3-5 million for Izzy and 5-8 for Brian. They replaced them and Roach for 3 players for about 3 million. Who would have guessed Peppers would look this bad and is it down to an injury that can improve after the break, lack of effort or old age. He must be seeing what the media are commenting about him looking old and there as been a history in Carolina of him playing games with no effort. Can Emery make the decision to cut or are with stuck with the contract that was made to bring him here and I can state that I was ecstatic that day. Does he retire this year and if so does that tHe US out of the cap hole. If he was cut now can do they save any money this year to be able to bring in a decent D tackle via trade. If not this is the defense we have this year and hopefully the Offense can carry us to the playoffs.

Regarding Forte up the middle why don't they try Bush and Forte with TE Bennett and Marshall and Jeffrey WR on first down. This would give the option of Forte off tackle or a pitch play, Bush up the middle and if it was a play overloaded to the run then audible to a pass play with Bush pass protecting and Forte out in the flat with a linebacker covering. With Bush up the middle couldn't Bennett lead block?

Please show me where I said "bring back Uralcker" (sic). Rather than pull out of a sentence what you want to hear/read please...I beg you... understand what was written.

And Connor; thank you for pointing out the obvious. I know he is "done" again, not the point I was trying to make. From Stinger I'm not so surprised, but you?

I should have taken Cracker Jacks advice but “Persistency is a fool's best asset”. Thusly I too am done. Good night Gracie!

I believe your point was that Emery pulled the trigger too soon on Url. My point is there was no trigger to pull. He offered Url a contract that they felt was fair given his age and skill level and Url turned it down.

Url is the reason he is not on the team. Not Emery.

Your right, you didnt, the fact his name is brought up again 6 weeks into the season, is way to much living in the past.Emery made an offer and Url decided he was worth more. He was worth what he got, a ticket out of the league. Emery did the right thing, and you have a right to your opinion, as outdated as it might be.

Peppers is clearly not 100%, hopefully this long break until next week, and then the bye will rejuvenate him for the stretch run. We need him to be a force on the line to either get pressures or draw double teams. He is normally a beast out there and he looks a step or two slower and weaker.

Even though we probably miss Urlacher right now, for at least his leadership and knowledge of the game, I am excited to see Bostic get his shot with Williams out. He has the speed and strength to be really special. I can just picture him doing a Bridgewater to RG3.

Even though we probably miss Urlacher right now, for at least his leadership and knowledge of the game, I am excited to see Bostic get his shot with Williams out. He has the speed and strength to be really special. I can just picture him doing a Bridgewater to RG3.

Now this is something I can say "this" to.

Peppers is clearly not 100%, hopefully this long break until next week, and then the bye with rejuvenate him for the stretch run. We need him to be a force on the line to either get pressures or draw double teams. He is normally a beast out there and he looks a step or two slower and weaker.

Agreed on this.