Realistic Expectations

Uncle Buck

I have had some time to reflect on the Cutler injury and I wanted to ask the board something:

What do you really expect from your backup quarterback when your starter is likley to be out for an extended time?

I would say that most backups are such for a reason; either they are in the development stage or have not succeeded on the big stage in other locales. Not every backup can come in and perform like Frank Reich; usually their performance tends to gravitate towards the Caleb Hanie end of the spectrum.

For me, the best I can hope for from McCown is a .500 record. I don't think he will win every game with Cutler out.

Your thoughts?

P.S. I don't think we should think that the 1/2 game sample size of McCown's performance in this offense is evidence that Cutler is expendable, IMHO.

I have had some time to reflect on the Cutler injury and I wanted to ask the board something:

What do you really expect from your backup quarterback when your starter is likley to be out for an extended time?

I would say that most backups are such for a reason; either they are in the development stage or have not succeeded on the big stage in other locales. Not every backup can come in and perform like Frank Reich; usually their performance tends to gravitate towards the Caleb Hanie end of the spectrum.

For me, the best I can hope for from McCown is a .500 record. I don't think he will win every game with Cutler out.

Your thoughts?

P.S. I don't think we should think that the 1/2 game sample size of McCown's performance in this offense is evidence that Cutler is expendable, IMHO.

You don't think we will win *every* game with Cutler out? I don't think we will win *any* game with Cutler out. Maybe Briggs has something to do with it, but we're losing the next 4. We really needed that Washington game for some cushion.

Your thoughts?

Depends on the strength of schedule over that time period and what your team thought it was beforehand.

A playoff-caliber team facing a weaker portion of its schedule might hope to go 4-0 over a stretch. With a backup QB you might drop that to 3-1.

A playoff-caliber team facing a stronger portion of its schedule might have hoped to go 2-2 over a stretch, with the backup QB you're talking 1-3 or hopefully not 0-4.

A borderline playoff team/borderline playoff missing team might have hoped to go 3-1 over a stretch unless they're playing really good or bad teams. A backup QB might drop that to 2-2 if they do an adequate job.

The Hanie debacle went from a situation where the Bears might have won 3 of their next 4 games to a 4 game losing streak. That was clearly unacceptable. Way too many teams have guys on their roster who can step in and do better than that.

We should beat St Louis.

GB, Det, and BAL will be tough.

You don't think we will win *every* game with Cutler out? I don't think we will win *any* game with Cutler out. Maybe Briggs has something to do with it, but we're losing the next 4. We really needed that Washington game for some cushion.

I suppose now that Bradford is out, we have a chance in that one. You're probably right there. So 1-3 :-/ as a best case scenario, even if Cutler is back after 4, which I'm not sure what to expect for that.

I think our next game against GB will define our season, if we are in it all the way, or happen to win it, we still could make the playoffs. I think we go 2-2 until Cutler gets back, keeps us in the hunt. If we end up with a bad lose, not looking for a lot of wins going forward.

I think our next game against GB will define our season, if we are in it all the way, or happen to win it, we still could make the playoffs. I think we go 2-2 until Cutler gets back, keeps us in the hunt. If we end up with a bad lose, not looking for a lot of wins going forward.

I mean no disrespect but how on earth do you think we win in GB? That is an auto-loss. If they keep it within 3 scores, it'll be a moral victory.

Your thoughts?

For the Bears to win any of the next three games Forte is going to have to play lights out. Make them stack the box and hopefully McCown can take advantage of some mismatches. We still have Marshal, Jeffery and the Black Unicorn. These guys pose considerable match up problems for any Defense.

You know GB will throw everything and the kitchen sink at McCown. Detroit got a lot of pressure in our first game against them. The ravens still can play D. St Louis is now with out Bradford so we should have a shot at beating them.

Im hoping to see a better performance then Caleb Hanie for two reasons, one the bears have a lot more weapons now and two the oline has performed 20 times better then last year.

There was only so much Cutler could do with a a shitty scheme, shitty oline and one real WR. What do you expect a backup to do with that. I expect to see a better showing by the offense with a backup QB in this year.

The say goes, any given sunday. GB has most of there WR's out, their TE out and Clay Matthews out. Biggest problem is they still have Rodgers tho. Det should be almost 100% so that is not good. The ravens cant move the ball, Flacco was not worth the 120 they gave him(still laughing at that one, Ozzie has proved to be a great GM but giving Flacco that much money will prove to be his worst move ever).

Keep Calm and Bear Down!!!

ps if we lose 4 straight I wont be able to keep calm!! lol

Im hoping to see a better performance then Caleb Hanie for two reasons, one the bears have a lot more weapons now and two the oline has performed 20 times better then last year.

Keep Calm and Bear Down!!!

ps if we lose 4 straight I wont be able to keep calm!! lol

IMdO, Briggs' loss is going to finish off the already sinking D. Rodgers is going to have an MVP game against us. I'm calm, but depressed as hell about the D.

My expectations are exceptionally low considering who the QB is. McCown has had 2 seasons where he had more TD's than INT's and one of those was in the UFL.

That being said, if he excels in this offense like he did against the Redskins, then Trestman is really a genius that doesn't need a QB

The loss of Briggs could be devastating. The play of the D has dropped significantly since Urlacher was back there reading defenses and making calls. When Briggs left the game, it dropped off completely. I really don't like the idea of a rookie reading offenses and getting the plays in vs a QB like Rodgers. It should be a good interesting game tho.

Baptism by fire...

Someone on that damn D needs to step up. Briggs played well and all, but we were getting gouged in that game & games before he got hurt. Someone else needs to step up now. We will see if we have someone with potential to be a captain, or just bodies awaiting a leader.

I thnk McCown will do OK. But, I think the Packers could set NFL records against our D.

The loss of Briggs could be devastating. The play of the D has dropped significantly since Urlacher was back there reading defenses and making calls. When Briggs left the game, it dropped off completely. I really don't like the idea of a rookie reading offenses and getting the plays in vs a QB like Rodgers. It should be a good interesting game tho.

Baptism by fire...

Someone on that damn D needs to step up. Briggs played well and all, but we were getting gouged in that game & games before he got hurt. Someone else needs to step up now. We will see if we have someone with potential to be a captain, or just bodies awaiting a leader.

I thnk McCown will do OK. But, I think the Packers could set NFL records against our D.

What I don't understand is that when pressed about the poor D play, Trestman & Emery point to blown assignments. I had heard that even the sideline was lighting up the safeties about their poor assignments. Well, if Tucker kept things pretty much the same, why is this group blowing it? Are they just that dense? McClellin, Peppers, the safeties and corners are not new to the rodeo. What gives; do they suck that bad?

Blown assignments, blown tackles, blown wins...

Pressure from a healthy Melton a year younger Peppy, a savvy Url, a healthy Briggs, and an opportunistic Peanut & Jennings masked the problems at the safeties. What a difference a year makes! And there's no doubt that Smith and Marinelli were better D coaches that Tucker and his group.

But I agree...it's disappointing to see so many dumb errors on the D side of the ball. Don't these guys have any pride in what they do? Mental with blown assignments and physical with poor tackling. We need Steve McMichael to come in and throw a chair into the chalkboard!

What I don't understand is that when pressed about the poor D play, Trestman & Emery point to blown assignments. I had heard that even the sideline was lighting up the safeties about their poor assignments. Well, if Tucker kept things pretty much the same, why is this group blowing it? Are they just that dense? McClellin, Peppers, the safeties and corners are not new to the rodeo. What gives; do they suck that bad?

To me the Briggs loss is bigger than Cutler right now. Cutler was basically playing really solid within the system but wasn't doing anything that far over the top. McCown should be able to come in and perform reasonably well. If it wasn't for the decimated defense, we would've won in Washington. It wasn't like Cutler was tearing it up before the injury. We got the ball at the WAS 47 and ended up moving the ball 18 yards and kicked a 47 yard FG. On the next drive, we started at the WAS 10 and Forte scored a TD. Cutler barely had to do anything at that point with us scoring 10 pts. Then he threw a pick-6 and only a few plays later he is out of the game and we are down 17-10. Then McCown comes in and has the 7th best game of the year for QBR, and did that in less than 3 quarters of play.

With that said, the defense is what is going to determine the season. If we can stop anyone, we can easily be 2-2 or 3-1 in the next 4. STL is a win, they are worse than us. GB is a loss, but DET at home is winnable as long as we have Peanut on Megatron. Baltimore lost to Pittsburgh, that says enough. I would be happy with 2-2.

Your thoughts?

First thought and in response to bold. I don't think the team would have won every game if Cutler continued as starting QB. So really what is the difference?

To analyze that we need to ask the question you posed. What really is the back up QB's job? The answer is what exactly do what McCown did. Put our team in a position to win the game...offensively. Unfortuantely our defense wasn't able to hold up its end of the deal...hence why our team lost by 3 pts. Not because of what McCown DIDN'T do, but beause of what the D didn't do. Remember, before the final drive by Washington our team was ahead by 4.

The other part to consider is if they are not a back up QB, they are starting somewhere else or out of the league.

McCown is better than our previous and recent back up situations mostly due to the cast that surrounds him. Hanie and Campbell did not have the combinations of Marshall, Jeffery, M. Bennet and Forte along with the Oline that has been constructed. As another here pointed out, if McCown can come in and produce as quickly as he did, with limited reps and playing time, then its the operator not the scheme that is the problem.

And one last point I'd like to address. There has been much discussion about "tape on McCown" and how teams will have an opportunity to prepare for him and blunt his performance. I think we need to remember that there is already evidence out there, he's been in the league for 11 years and played for 5 other NFL teams. The 'tape' is already out there.

I see 3 more wins minimum with McCown. Vikings, Browns, and Rams.. Possibly the Ravens. If we lose any of those games against the first three teams, we'll be drafting in the top 10 this year. Hard to see the Bears, even with all the injuries, not be able to pull out wins against Brandon Weeden, Josh Freeman, and god knows what in St Louis.

I mean no disrespect but how on earth do you think we win in GB? That is an auto-loss. If they keep it within 3 scores, it'll be a moral victory.

I mean no disrespect but Indy has beaten Denver, SF and Seattle and I dont believe they are any better than those three teams. The point is better teams lose to lesser teams all the time in the NFL.

First thought and in response to bold. I don't think the team would have won every game if Cutler continued as starting QB. So really what is the difference?

To analyze that we need to ask the question you posed. What really is the back up QB's job? The answer is what exactly do what McCown did. Put our team in a position to win the game...offensively. Unfortuantely our defense wasn't able to hold up its end of the deal...hence why our team lost by 3 pts. Not because of what McCown DIDN'T do, but beause of what the D didn't do. Remember, before the final drive by Washington our team was ahead by 4.

The other part to consider is if they are not a back up QB, they are starting somewhere else or out of the league.

McCown is better than our previous and recent back up situations mostly due to the cast that surrounds him. Hanie and Campbell did not have the combinations of Marshall, Jeffery, M. Bennet and Forte along with the Oline that has been constructed. As another here pointed out, if McCown can come in and produce as quickly as he did, with limited reps and playing time, then its the operator not the scheme that is the problem.

And one last point I'd like to address. There has been much discussion about "tape on McCown" and how teams will have an opportunity to prepare for him and blunt his performance. I think we need to remember that there is already evidence out there, he's been in the league for 11 years and played for 5 other NFL teams. The 'tape' is already out there.

I would not suggest that Cutler would win all of these upcoming games. My initial thoughts were that the Bears would lose at GB. But Cutler without a doubt is the better of the two options. Not all of the upcoming defenses will be as poor as the Redskins. The tougher the defense the more McCown will be exposed, even with the improved assets. I guess we will find out, but I would still be estatic if he wins 2 games.

Agreed...

Baptism by fire...

Step into the light Mr. Bostic, it's your time to lead:

http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/vid...2e-325baf272cba

Keep blowing up the FB and shedding OL blocks and he will shine. Just has to learn it in the heat of battle now. I've watched this three times now and that hit on the FB still makes me smile at the thought of what is to come down the road.

Thanks for sharing that link...

Baptism by fire!

Step into the light Mr. Bostic, it's your time to lead:

http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/vid...2e-325baf272cba

Keep blowing up the FB and shedding OL blocks and he will shine. Just has to learn it in the heat of battle now. I've watched this three times now and that hit on the FB still makes me smile at the thought of what is to come down the road.