pretty disappointed so far

adam

Houston, Mundy, and Senn?

1 starter and massive needs at Safety, CB, and DL. I know it is only Day 1 but we didnt get Ward or Mitchell, and will probably lose Melton, Tillman, and McCown. At this point we are taking another step back on defense if we dont add an impact FA. That scares me.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Tillman will be replaced by Revis?

That doesnt seem like an Emery move. Houston was the "Big" move after we missed on Bennett. Now all I can see us picking up are fringe players or vets on 1 yr flyers, which will be incredibly disappointing with the holes we needed to fill.

1 starter and massive needs at Safety, CB, and DL. I know it is only Day 1 but we didnt get Ward or Mitchell, and will probably lose Melton, Tillman, and McCown. At this point we are taking another step back on defense if we dont add an impact FA. That scares me.

With all the big money contracts the first week, I only thought we had one in the bag, many good players and we still might grab a few.

Still early, and there's still guys out there.

With Houston only counting 5M against the cap they still have a good deal of money to work with and still a lot of good FAs out there.

Damn dude. We are 6 hours into it. There are a ton of guys still available. (Unfortunately, a lot of the better defensive players are Corey Wooton, Melton, Tillman . . . )

With the Peppers release, I am confident we will sign another quality defensive starter by 5:00 pm tomorrow. Bank on it.

Maybe Tillman will be replaced by Revis?

Funny how that thought creeped into my head immedietly after hearing the news of Byrd to the Saints. What better defensive player could the Bears sign this off-season if Revis is indeed released? Maybe Jared Allen, which seems to be where they're going, but I would rather have Revis. He will be a full year removed from ACL surgery, and if he gets back to his former self, you're talking about one side of the field that you no longer have to worry about anymore.

Overreact much?

With so many spot to fill, this is all I expected was one big signing, now we will wait and see valve picks. Melton and Tillman got offers but they werent the money they wanted so they are testing the market. With all the DBs out there, I see the chance he comes back here at our price.(tillman). Melton probably gone.

With so many spot to fill, this is all I expected was one big signing, now we will wait and see valve picks. Melton and Tillman got offers but they werent the money they wanted so they are testing the market. With all the DBs out there, I see the chance he comes back here at our price.(tillman). Melton probably gone.

I dont think yesterday was all that bad. We got two starters and a potential 3rd. D. J. back, good move, Houston, although over paid a necessary move similar to Bushrod last year. We had to do it. Mundy is just a guy but is better than anybody we have on the roster so not a bad signing.

I dont think yesterday was all that bad. We got two starters and a potential 3rd. D. J. back, good move, Houston, although over paid a necessary move similar to Bushrod last year. We had to do it. Mundy is just a guy but is better than anybody we have on the roster so not a bad signing.

I just felt like we missed out and then had to scramble a little bit. Don't really know how we did not get a starting caliber Safety when it was technically our biggest need. There is not much left on the market either (Clemons, Allen, or some guy named Major Wright).

Bushrod's contract appears to be what the average good LT are signing for this offseason in Veldeer and Saffold. Although Saffold might be getting that bucket of cash to play OG. We may have been a year early but Bushrod is making market value.

After sleeping on it Im pretty sick to my stomach..... The Great D we have watched for so many years is pretty much dismantled. Peppers being released and Tillman prolly not coming back has me twisted. I loved watching this D. It came to an end quicker then I thought it would.

I hate to see Peppers go, I know it had to be done due to the 18. This move opened up money but made our D worse. Where are they spending that money???????

Im still undecided on Houston. They had to sign someone, god knows we have no one at the DE spot.

The Bears have money to spend, why not make a run at a Safety. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they are planning on signing Revis then I would see why you let Tillman go and not spend on other areas.

I like the idea of Jared Allen. The guy still put up 12 sacks this past season.

The Broncos sign TJ Ward and Talib???!!!!!!!!

I just felt like we missed out and then had to scramble a little bit. Don't really know how we did not get a starting caliber Safety when it was technically our biggest need. There is not much left on the market either (Clemons, Allen, or some guy named Major Wright).

I will continue to just think that safety is not that big a need for a cover 2 team (if that's what we still play). That might sound a little crazy but just look at 2012.

Again, when NFL network was talking about the Bucs trading Revis they brought up that Lovie doesn't need him in that system, it's crazy, but it's true.

I still think Conte and Mundy will battle for 1 spot and we'll get a another S in the first 3 rounds.

.....We missed on DE because everyone but Houston and Johnson was resigned. Nothing we can do about that. Houston is no slouch though, nfl.com has him ranked as the 5th best FA (actually ahead of Bennett, which I disagree with, but I digress).

Those thinking this D is worse now going from Peppers to Houston are just crazy, living in the past, or just going on name value.

Really? How are you surprised that since 2001, basically 13 years later than our last good run with Jauron, that the D has finally gotten old? I love watching that D too. However, Angelo did nothing to infuse our D with back-ups or replacements. He was all in...now. We are now paying the price for that. I agree that it's sad, but the writing's been on the wall for years. We have needed to infuse new blood and we haven't. Now, we are forced to.

We don't have that much money to spend. We still have a rookie pool to sign. Also, we're not done. There was no great home run hitter in this FA pool. Byrd may have been the closest thing, but a lone safety for that money was not waht we needed. We desperately needed a pass rusher and run stuffer. Say what you want about Michael Bennett, but he was no guarantee to be excellent. I think with Houston, we have our Alex Brown. Really solid contributor for years. There was no Peppers to be had this FA season. We need to find that guy in the draft anyway.

BTW - I really think our D line got better. Peppers is not the Peppers your memory holds fondness for. Houston, by all accounts, looks like an upgrade. Also, have Ratliff for a full off-season and regular season is a huge upgrade to what we had. We still need another find in FA or the draft. But our D is better. Pair that with some upgrades in the coaching staff and a new scheme...I choose to see that glass more than half full.

After sleeping on it Im pretty sick to my stomach..... The Great D we have watched for so many years is pretty much dismantled. Peppers being released and Tillman prolly not coming back has me twisted. I loved watching this D. It came to an end quicker then I thought it would.

I hate to see Peppers go, I know it had to be done due to the 18. This move opened up money but made our D worse. Where are they spending that money???????

Im still undecided on Houston. They had to sign someone, god knows we have no one at the DE spot.

The Bears have money to spend, why not make a run at a Safety. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they are planning on signing Revis then I would see why you let Tillman go and not spend on other areas.

I like the idea of Jared Allen. The guy still put up 12 sacks this past season.

The Broncos sign TJ Ward and Talib???!!!!!!!!

I will continue to just think that safety is not that big a need for a cover 2 team (if that's what we still play). That might sound a little crazy but just look at 2012.

Again, when NFL network was talking about the Bucs trading Revis they brought up that Lovie doesn't need him in that system, it's crazy, but it's true.

I still think Conte and Mundy will battle for 1 spot and we'll get a another S in the first 3 rounds.

.....We missed on DE because everyone but Houston and Johnson was resigned. Nothing we can do about that. Houston is no slouch though, nfl.com has him ranked as the 5th best FA (actually ahead of Bennett, which I disagree with, but I digress).

Those thinking this D is worse now going from Peppers to Houston are just crazy, living in the best, or just going on name value.

So you would have confidence with Mundy and a Rookie as our starting Safeties? That would be one of the worst tandems in the league.

Really? How are you surprised that since 2001, basically 13 years later than our last good run with Jauron, that the D has finally gotten old? I love watching that D too. However, Angelo did nothing to infuse our D with back-ups or replacements. He was all in...now. We are now paying the price for that. I agree that it's sad, but the writing's been on the wall for years. We have needed to infuse new blood and we haven't. Now, we are forced to.

We don't have that much money to spend. We still have a rookie pool to sign. Also, we're not done. There was no great home run hitter in this FA pool. Byrd may have been the closest thing, but a lone safety for that money was not waht we needed. We desperately needed a pass rusher and run stuffer. Say what you want about Michael Bennett, but he was no guarantee to be excellent. I think with Houston, we have our Alex Brown. Really solid contributor for years. There was no Peppers to be had this FA season. We need to find that guy in the draft anyway.

BTW - I really think our D line got better. Peppers is not the Peppers your memory holds fondness for. Houston, by all accounts, looks like an upgrade. Also, have Ratliff for a full off-season and regular season is a huge upgrade to what we had. We still need another find in FA or the draft. But our D is better. Pair that with some upgrades in the coaching staff and a new scheme...I choose to see that glass more than half full.

Of course. I agree with CTHustle that it is sad to see the D implode as quick as it did. Despite what you think, Peppers did have a few good plays left in him. I understand the money part of it, I do, but if he were paired with Houston on the other side whose to say he couldn't have been great again? Now we have Houston on one side and (TBD) on the other.

The defensive scramble isn't as bad as some of you are making it out to be. The players that are still with the team, Tillman and Melton immediately come to mind, are still technically part of the team. Why are they not negotiating with them? Instead Emery's ego is getting in the way. To me safety and pass rush were of importance. He sort of addressed it in one regard but immediately subtracted it for a nullified gain.

Speaking of "building now"; that is what they did on offense last year. Now what happens if Cutler stinks it up (highly probable) and the offense comes out and falls flat on its face? McCown probably won't be around to help. The D won't be able to pick up the slack. Who of Emery's defensive draft picks do you see coming out and taking the lead? So far most of them have been less than stellar.

So you would have confidence with Mundy and a Rookie as our starting Safeties? That would be one of the worst tandems in the league.

I don't know what we're gonna look like schematically but I still think we play cover 2. In which case yes, I'm fine with Mundy, who actually had a good year last year, and a rookie. We don't know how good said rookie will be, draft has a lot of talent there.

Hey, I'm sad too. I just saw it s inevitable. Great things usually come to en end quickly. See Tony Dorsett, Smmitt Smith, Jerry Rice, old QB's etc... It's a s slow gradual decline, then goes off a cliff. However, with that said, I also thought Peppers has some play in him too. Just not for the price he was on deck for.

No sure how you jump to the conclusion that Emery's ego is in the way. He's respecting Tillman, Melton and McCown to let them see what offers are out there and that we get the respect back to listen to one more offer from us. DL, LB and DB are still needs. There are still guys out there. Until there are none to be had, I will let the process run its course.

Again, I love how you jump to a conclusion that Cutler stinks it up. Based on what? How poorly he did last year? He didn't do poorly. And just as concinved as you are that Cutler is awful, you assume McCown will be Kurt Warner? He did great in spot work last season against some fo the worst defenses in football. Hey, I want him back, but I seriously doubt that not having McCown will mean the difference between a SB win or not.

I see very little of Emery's D picks at the moment. However, the jury isn't quite out on Bostic and Greene. I'm going to give that a chance and see what he does this season. McLennin is a bust so far. I'm not expecting a great turnaround. I am hoping that he can contribute at LB. I certianly am a bit more worried regarding Emery's drafting of D than O. But, the man needs to be given a chance.

Of course. I agree with CTHustle that it is sad to see the D implode as quick as it did. Despite what you think, Peppers did have a few good plays left in him. I understand the money part of it, I do, but if he were paired with Houston on the other side whose to say he couldn't have been great again? Now we have Houston on one side and (TBD) on the other.

The defensive scramble isn't as bad as some of you are making it out to be. The players that are still with the team, Tillman and Melton immediately come to mind, are still technically part of the team. Why are they not negotiating with them? Instead Emery's ego is getting in the way. To me safety and pass rush were of importance. He sort of addressed it in one regard but immediately subtracted it for a nullified gain.

Speaking of "building now"; that is what they did on offense last year. Now what happens if Cutler stinks it up (highly probable) and the offense comes out and falls flat on its face? McCown probably won't be around to help. The D won't be able to pick up the slack. Who of Emery's defensive draft picks do you see coming out and taking the lead? So far most of them have been less than stellar.

Those thinking this D is worse now going from Peppers to Houston are just crazy, living in the past, or just going on name value.

The bolded is flawed logic for two reasons. One, Lovie had a lockdown corner the entire time he was in Chicago. That player's name was Charles Tillman. It just so happens that he was also good at everything else, and potentially the best at forcing fumbles in NFL history. Two, saying that Lovie's "system" doesn't need a lockdown corner implies that his past efforts show consistent success without a lockdown corner. It simply doesn't. Regardless of whether one agrees on point one of Peanut being a lockdown corner, the simple fact is, Lovie's D was hit or miss the entire time he was in Chicago.

12 years and we got to see the following averages:

-13.8 in yards

-10.1 in points

-6 in takeaways

-13.9 in rush att

-12.1 in rush yards

-12.3 in rush TDs

-12.3 in rush y/a

-24.9 in pass att

-17.4 in pass yards

-11.4 in pass TDs

His defensive past shows that he coaches consistently average, or slightly above average, which is the entire reason he was fired. Take Peanut away from Lovie during his tenure with Chicago, and that defense is much worse, and has significantly less takeaways.

this has been one of lovies greatest failures and why in my opinion he is a terrible coach that never learns from his mistakes.

the cover 2 or the lovie 2 or whatever you want to call it DOES need a good + to very good CB who can cover man along with a very good safety to go with it. it is a proven fact if you look at the bucs of the sapp era. ronde barber was a very good corner that DID play a lot of bump and run off the LOS and was key to their success.

No sure how you jump to the conclusion that Emery's ego is in the way. He's respecting Tillman, Melton and McCown to let them see what offers are out there and that we get the respect back to listen to one more offer from us. DL, LB and DB are still needs. There are still guys out there. Until there are none to be had, I will let the process run its course.

Again, I love how you jump to a conclusion that Cutler stinks it up. Based on what? How poorly he did last year? He didn't do poorly. And just as concinved as you are that Cutler is awful, you assume McCown will be Kurt Warner? He did great in spot work last season against some fo the worst defenses in football. Hey, I want him back, but I seriously doubt that not having McCown will mean the difference between a SB win or not.

I see very little of Emery's D picks at the moment. However, the jury isn't quite out on Bostic and Greene. I'm going to give that a chance and see what he does this season. McLennin is a bust so far. I'm not expecting a great turnaround. I am hoping that he can contribute at LB. I certianly am a bit more worried regarding Emery's drafting of D than O. But, the man needs to be given a chance.

The part about Emery having an inflated ego is based on how he has dealt with some of the "traditional" (and contributing) players on the team. Maybe it's my nostalgic grip but only time will prove me right or wrong.

Cutler has proven nothing... Yet. He doesn't deserve the contract he got. But then neither did Romo. But considering there weren't any real legitimate QB starters available in FA, his contract was more a result of "bird in the hand" and not wanting to risk another team overreaching (yes overreaching) to steal him away. I hope the best for Jay but it's not rooted in confidence. McCown was (is) a solid backup... In Trestmans system. That is all I've ever thought.

I think everyone is an agreement that Emery could have handled the Url thing a bit better. But, Url certainly handled it far worse. Everyone else has been handled well and nothing has been made of it in the press. Hester, TIllman, etc. Only Briggs has been whining, and he's under contract. I get your "grip"...just remember, life is too short! Embrace what could happen. For we have no control over what has already happened. It's hard to believe that even Rust Cohle has a more of optimistic vibe than you! ;) (I apologize for the "True Detective" reference if you are not a viewer...) Granted, I'mprobably most eager to move on than most, but there are positive signs out there. It's easy to dismiss. Odds are you are right. Only 1 in 32 teams will win it all, and that odds are against the Bears. But it's better odds than Han Solo flying though an asteroid field. So, I guess I like those odds. I need to stop with my odd references...

I think we all flogged the dead horse enough on where everyone stands on Cutler. Cutler has proven something. At minimum, he's proven that he'll probalby end up being the Bears' most prolific passer. Beyond that, we'll see. I have hope that more time under Trestman, having a better OL watch his back, and with his amazing corps of receivers and RB...something special could happen. Thanks for clarifying your thoughts on McCown. I wasn't sure if you thought he should have been the starter and not Jay...

The part about Emery having an inflated ego is based on how he has dealt with some of the "traditional" (and contributing) players on the team. Maybe it's my nostalgic grip but only time will prove me right or wrong.

Cutler has proven nothing... Yet. He doesn't deserve the contract he got. But then neither did Romo. But considering there weren't any real legitimate QB starters available in FA the contract was more a result of "bird in the hand" and not wanting to risk another team overreaching (yes overreaching) to steal him away. I hope the best for Jay but it's not rooted in confidence. McCown was (is) a solid backup... In Trestmans system. That is all I've ever thought.

this has been one of lovies greatest failures and why in my opinion he is a terrible coach that never learns from his mistakes.

the cover 2 or the lovie 2 or whatever you want to call it DOES need a good + to very good CB who can cover man along with a very good safety to go with it. it is a proven fact if you look at the bucs of the sapp era. ronde barber was a very good corner that DID play a lot of bump and run off the LOS and was key to their success.

And he's had/does has a + CB. They signed Alteraun Vernor. The need for the best of the best is just not needed.