PFF on Allen

madlithuanian

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/448821405379870720

In all fairness to reporting news both good and bad...

I thnk there is some reason for concern. But, we all know the inherent risk in an aging star. We also know how bad Minny was last year.

My guess...the truth is in the middle. He's getting old and won't put up numbers as he did in the past...but it will be better than 2013 and much better than what we did in 2013. Change of scenery has been known to uplift many a player.

Consider my glass full with a tiny tasting sip taken.

I hate Jared Allen but truth be told he is a force when it comes to rushing the passer and you can find a stat to support any point of view but the most important stat that can be looked at in this case is sacks and durabilty. He has had double digit sacks 6 consecutive seasons and he has missed only 3 games in his career.

I hate Jared Allen but truth be told he is a force when it comes to rushing the passer and you can find a stat to support any point of view but the most important stat that can be looked at in this case is sacks and durabilty. He has had double digit sacks 6 consecutive seasons and he has missed only 3 games in his career.

True dat!

I think its only obvious that we all decline in some way, shape or form as we age. Considering he was on a pretty lackluster team for the better part of his time in Minnesota, I would take this "news" with a huge grain of salt. (Maybe wash it down with that sip of cynicism). Are his numbers not better than Peppers? I think they are. Not to mention, as others have pointed out, he's younger. And more durable and plays every down. If for nothing else and just compared to Peppers then he's an improvement. Compared to his 'younger' self, obviously he won't fare as well.

You're stating to sound like CrackerDog

Ya, he's kinda the other end of the spectrum on my whole sacks aren't everything argument. Still though I look at it this way. Houston is a big upgrade over Peppers, Allen is a big upgrade over Wootton, and Young is a HUGE upgrade over SMC.

Playing less snaps (and playing with a lead a lot more often) should only help a guy like him. I think we'd be better off with Young as the starter, but I can imagine they give the vet that job.

I agree, stats come in handy to a certain degree. emery and company watched the game film on him, they know what they are getting. I trust Emery and company.

At the End of the day if he comes in and is a great team leader/locker room vet, adds some giddy up to the D unit and puts up 10 sacks a year for the next two years I will be happy.

This is a short term fix to make us as competitive as possible until they can get younger on the D.

I don't care what the stats say, our D will be better with Allen. Some stats will never measure the intangibles that a guy like Allen bring. Just think about the tricks to pass rushing he can teach Houston and Young. The guy has seen it all and knows how to beat people in the passing rushing game.

My cousin is a Vikings fan and he had this to say...

"Allen is an above average pass rusher who has made his money as a bum killer. He'll get 8 sacks in 3 games over the course of the season and 4 or 5 in the other 13"

That tells me they should line him up against RTs and let him feast against the lesser tackles of the league.

I was really thinking about the age factor of Allen and even Peppers. I looked up Reggie Whites stats, let me be clear I know he was the best to ever play DE as sacks are concerned.

He played two years in the USFL and then started in the NFL.

If I told you his last two years with the GB he had sacks totals of 13 and 14 you wouldn't be surprised. Right??? But then If I told you he 36 and 37 year old and it was his 15th and 16th seasons playing professional football, wouldn't you be shocked?

I know I was when I read that. Some guys fall off fast once they hit a certain age. Some guys don't. Allen is still only 31 turning 32 this year. All Im hoping for is 2 years of 10 sacks a year.

"Allen is an above average pass rusher who has made his money as a bum killer. He'll get 8 sacks in 3 games over the course of the season and 4 or 5 in the other 13"

That tells me they should line him up against RTs and let him feast against the lesser tackles of the league.

My uncle works in their accounting department. Ill ask him what everyone around the organization thinks about him. He is the one cutting these guys their checks every week!

I don't see anything in his game logs to support that. He had sacks against Stafford, Dalton, Foles, Eli, Big Ben, RG III, Flacco, McCown, and Cutler.

Hey may end up as a one trick pony, but its a pretty good trick.. I expect double digit sacks next year. Beyond that? Who knows. I think he'll become more of a situational pass rusher than he was with the Vikings. As long as he can get to the QB, that's all I care about. Man the position for 2 years before Emery drafts his replacement.

Hey may end up as a one trick pony, but its a pretty good trick.. I expect double digit sacks next year. Beyond that? Who knows. I think he'll become more of a situational pass rusher than he was with the Vikings. As long as he can get to the QB, that's all I care about. Man the position for 2 years before Emery drafts his replacement.

Yep. The Vikings broadcast guy was on the SCORE and said at this point in his career, Allen is more of a situational pass rusher. It's one helluva a lot of money, but if he can situational pass rush for double digit sacks, I'm good that.

I also agree with what you said that it will be two years before we draft his replacement. I'm penciling in Young, Houston, and Allen in at DE for the next 2 years.

I was really thinking about the age factor of Allen and even Peppers. I looked up Reggie Whites stats, let me be clear I know he was the best to ever play DE as sacks are concerned.

I think Reggie White was a beast but the best DE of all time is the one who coined the phrase " Sack The Quaterback" Deacon Jones. He played before they kept that stat which came into play in 1981.

If I dont recall, that would lead our team in sacks any year he was in the league.

I think Reggie White was a beast but the best DE of all time is the one who coined the phrase " Sack The Quaterback" Deacon Jones. He played before they kept that stat which came into play in 1981.

i'm not a hundred percent sure deacon was better than reggie white.... though maybe.

i didn't really get a chance to watch a lot of rams games in the 60's for obvious reasons (although the *fearsome foursome got quite a bit of notoriety on the idiot box) but i did see some they televised. as good as jones was, even with the unheard of sack stat, reggie white did things i had never seen before. the power and leverage he used to blow off or absorb tackles, even in the open field, is something that was truly amazing.

so i have to say to me, without seeing a lot of tape to compare, the overall "player" and not the sack statistic, reggie white certainly gives jones a run for his money.

*the fearsome foursome of rosy grear, merlin olson, deacon jones and lamar lundy was a real treat to watch. they were devastating in their day. george allen, former bear defensive coach, became head coach of the rams in the mid 60's (the unit base was actually in place by the early 60's prior to allen). although he already had the horses he did turn this unit into superstars after he became the rams HC.

True dat!

I think its only obvious that we all decline in some way, shape or form as we age. Considering he was on a pretty lackluster team for the better part of his time in Minnesota, I would take this "news" with a huge grain of salt. (Maybe wash it down with that sip of cynicism). Are his numbers not better than Peppers? I think they are. Not to mention, as others have pointed out, he's younger. And more durable and plays every down. If for nothing else and just compared to Peppers then he's an improvement. Compared to his 'younger' self, obviously he won't fare as well.

You're stating to sound like CrackerDog

Bingo. He's an improvement over Peppers in just about every way except ear size. If he gets 10 sacks a year and creates havoc several times a game, which he will, then he's worth it.

whats interesting is that all of the stats seem to love willie young, especially for the price we got him at. Im sure it helped having suh and fairley in the middle, but in passing situations i foresee houston bumping inside with allen on the other side, this guy could get a ton of pressure

whats interesting is that all of the stats seem to love willie young, especially for the price we got him at. Im sure it helped having suh and fairley in the middle, but in passing situations i foresee houston bumping inside with allen on the other side, this guy could get a ton of pressure

Yeah he is very disruptive.