Brian needs a reality check

Connorbear

My point was that it's not just Urlacher saying the Bears failed to negotiate. It's also Hester and Melton. The fact that they negotiated with Peanut only proves they are willing to negotiate with players they unequivocally want. Players they are questionable on appear to get a "take it or leave it" approach. Most people don't like being treated like that in any situation. There is no doubt Urlacher is mad about the money, but that's three different players basically saying the Bears didn't even really approach it in an open manner. That's the problem I have. We don't know for sure what discount they could have been had for, or if at all, but at least one (Urlacher) has publicly stated that he was willing to play for less than he originally asked. In that situation, it would behoove the Bears to simply let the situation play out. Offer, counter-offer, etc. If it ends up being too much, then so be it.

Tillman came back and played for what they offered him, they didnt have to negotiate with him. If I look for a job, they tell what the job pays, I cant go to them and say I want x number of dollars you have to negotiate with me. They made an offer and Brian wanted more so they said goodbye, the Bears did what any business would do establish a valve for a product and if they cant buy that product at that price go another direction.Melton, they told to go get some offers and come back, they had a figure in mind, he's the one that took and didnt bring back to see what the Bears would do. Melton got paid 8.6 mil for a couple of games but the crybaby thinks he's worth more than he is so he cries foul, screw him.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I don't want a BMW, I don't want a BMW. I want a Lexus. Sure, at some point, I'll take the BMW for a stick of gum. But Iknow the dealership isn't going to do that. So, I just go to Lexus. Youre argement is based that the Bears want these guys. It's apparent they did not.

It's over, and we all want to move on...and want to do so as well. At this point, I think all the vast majority of us want from Url is just to act professional when discussing the Bears. But, I think his employer likes the controversy. It makes an oterhwise boring and poor commentator more marketable.

Bottom line...is the Bears management did not do Hester, Url, or Melton wrong. And the team even wants to celebrate Url. Whereas Ulracher continues to thow poison at the team. At some point, his biggest fans will turn on him. I support the team over any player. I don't support the Urlachers. I support the Bears. Even Ditka is back in the fold. He know the what pays the bills...

:dabears

That's precisely my point. What's so difficult to understand? It makes no sense to completely shut off negotiations before hearing what the other side could potentially offer. It's not like he's crippled or bad. He was still one of the best kick returners in the NFL last year. What would it have hurt to simply sit down with him and see what he's asking for? If he says, "I want $4M." If the Bears ask whether he's willing to negotiate, and he says, "No," then it was worth the cordial sit-down. However, if Hester says, "I'm willing to sign for X," and it's a dollar value feasible to the Bears, then it was also worth the visit. Either way, it serves no purpose to completely stonewall on potential negotiations.

As for Urlacher, it's easy for you to say that, and somewhat ironic. So you expect Urlacher to be a "mature adult" and sit down to talk, when that's all he apparently wanted to begin with?

If I don't want a BMW, I don't want a BMW. I want a Lexus. Sure, at some point, I'll take the BMW for a stick of gum. But Iknow the dealership isn't going to do that. So, I just go to Lexus. Youre argement is based that the Bears want these guys. It's apparent they did not.

It's over, and we all want to move on...and want to do so as well. At this point, I think all the vast majority of us want from Url is just to act professional when discussing the Bears. But, I think his employer likes the controversy. It makes an oterhwise boring and poor commentator more marketable.

Bottom line...is the Bears management did not do Hester, Url, or Melton wrong. And the team even wants to celebrate Url. Whereas Ulracher continues to thow poison at the team. At some point, his biggest fans will turn on him. I support the team over any player. I don't support the Urlachers. I support the Bears. Even Ditka is back in the fold. He know the what pays the bills...

:dabears

All of that

Lets see Henry Melton rehabbing form a significant injury with questions about his work ethic put out there for the world to see by the current GM gets an incentive laden contract from a team he signs with and Devin Hester a one-trick pony gets an outrageous contract from a team desperate to recapture recent past magic make those two guys who we should listen to when it comes to organizational loyalty. One guy got paid a contract on a franchise tag but didn't play a full season and the other got paid a salary comparable to that of a number 1 WR but never met those expectaions and then there is the former MLB who has a few stray children with different women who was paid handsomely while employed by the Bears making stupid comments about loyalty. Can anyone say Erik Kramer? Screw anyone who is no longer on the team because I have been a fan since '66 and have seen players come and go including Gayle Sayers who was my childhood idol. He is just a bitter old man now and should be treated as such. Since we are bringing up past Bears making negative statements about the organization lets bring 2 quotes back from the 60's:

"The Ol man throws nickels around like manhole covers"

The Bears' organization is a chicken shit organization.

Those 2 quotes come from Mike Ditka who later became the head coach and an icon to all of us and Virgil Carter who left the Bears similar to McMahon but returned to become a broadcast analyst for the team.

Listen people this was from the 60's and early 70's of the past century, there just wasn't as much media coverage. This crap is not new when it comes to scorned athletes.

Get this through your thick skull... The Bears didn't want Hester back so using him as an example in comparison to Urlacher doesn't make sense. Apples and oranges.

The Bears wanted Urlacher back but at a specific price. More than any other team in the NFL was willing to offer, in fact. But when his agent declined they knew from past experience that it was going to play out in the press and they'd ultimately lose or take a bath in a PR nightmare. They moved on quickly and it went over pretty well despite Urlacher's continued bitching.

So what the Bears have done is handle things like professionals, not like Jason Dipshit. And it's up to Urlacher as to whether he wants to continue this feeble crybaby bullshit. It might make him a little money short term but he'll lose in the long run. I've already provided the ultimate example. The last thing Brian ought to be doing is taking advice from you, Jason. You're a ferkin' moron.

Get this through your thick skull, dumbass, they should have still negotiated. Period. It is always beneficial to negotiate. It's how business works. It's how deals get brokered. That is how the world works.

Tillman came back and played for what they offered him, they didnt have to negotiate with him. If I look for a job, they tell what the job pays, I cant go to them and say I want x number of dollars you have to negotiate with me. They made an offer and Brian wanted more so they said goodbye, the Bears did what any business would do establish a value for a product and if they cant buy that product at that price go another direction.Melton, they told to go get some offers and come back, they had a figure in mind, he's the one that took and didnt bring back to see what the Bears would do. Melton got paid 8.6 mil for a couple of games but the crybaby thinks he's worth more than he is so he cries foul, screw him.

Tillman - Are you sure that's how it played out? Tillman says here, "Everyone knows how the process works. It's a business." Furthermore, there are incentives in the contract based on performance. Don't you believe that sort of thing is negotiated?

According to Urlacher, the Bears said take it or leave it. That's not negotiating - it's an ultimatum. It wouldn't have killed them to just sit down and negotiate with the face of the franchise, and find a low-end middle ground. If Urlacher wanted $4M and the Bears were offering $1M, then the Bears could have bumped the offer by a very small amount, or included a performance-based incentive (like Tillman). If Urlacher then rebuffed that offer, they could say they at least tried. According to Melton, it's basically how you said...which is not a very good way to do business in any environment. That's essentially saying, "We kind of want you." In this situation, it's the obligation of the team to entice the player, not the other way around. If the Bears really wanted him, or were serious about it at all, they would have at least thrown out a realistic, low-end, starting point for negotiations.

If I don't want a BMW, I don't want a BMW. I want a Lexus. Sure, at some point, I'll take the BMW for a stick of gum. But I know the dealership isn't going to do that. So, I just go to Lexus. Youre argement is based that the Bears want these guys. It's apparent they did not.

This part I completely agree with. And it this is the 100% reason for not bringing these guys in for negotiations at all (i.e. they simply didn't want them at all), then it is what it is. But it's hard to believe the Bears wouldn't want any of these players back. Urlacher is a HOFer who was the heart of the defense the year before. Hester is a HOFer who was still in the top handful of returnmen in the NFL. And Melton is an all-pro DT who fits the defense and a key need almost perfectly (unless they're scared of the injury). If that's not the reason (this article about Jared Allen indicates that the Bears are willing to creatively work contracts with players they want), however, and it's financial, then you should at least sit down at the table to see if the BMW could be had for two or three sticks of gum.

I hate these convos on old topics, but I'm up early today and have nothing better to do.

I think the fact that the Bears didn't even negotiate with Hester just means that they already like someone in house. Chris Williams and Michael Ford, who we almost saw take one to the house in preseason, come to mind. Eric Weems, at this point, is still on the roster as well. Hixon will also add to the competition, but I get the feeling they already liked the guys in house before they even signed Hixon.

Get this through your thick skull, dumbass, they should have still negotiated. Period. It is always beneficial to negotiate. It's how business works. It's how deals get brokered. That is how the world works.

Tillman - Are you sure that's how it played out? Tillman says here, "Everyone knows how the process works. It's a business." Furthermore, there are incentives in the contract based on performance. Don't you believe that sort of thing is negotiated?

According to Urlacher, the Bears said take it or leave it. That's not negotiating - it's an ultimatum. It wouldn't have killed them to just sit down and negotiate with the face of the franchise, and find a low-end middle ground. If Urlacher wanted $4M and the Bears were offering $1M, then the Bears could have bumped the offer by a very small amount, or included a performance-based incentive (like Tillman). If Urlacher then rebuffed that offer, they could say they at least tried. According to Melton, it's basically how you said...which is not a very good way to do business in any environment. That's essentially saying, "We kind of want you." In this situation, it's the obligation of the team to entice the player, not the other way around. If the Bears really wanted him, or were serious about it at all, they would have at least thrown out a realistic, low-end, starting point for negotiations.

This part I completely agree with. And it this is the 100% reason for not bringing these guys in for negotiations at all (i.e. they simply didn't want them at all), then it is what it is. But it's hard to believe the Bears wouldn't want any of these players back. Urlacher is a HOFer who was the heart of the defense the year before. Hester is a HOFer who was still in the top handful of returnmen in the NFL. And Melton is an all-pro DT who fits the defense and a key need almost perfectly (unless they're scared of the injury). If that's not the reason (this article about Jared Allen indicates that the Bears are willing to creatively work contracts with players they want), however, and it's financial, then you should at least sit down at the table to see if the BMW could be had for two or three sticks of gum.

I think the Bears offered Urlacher two mil, and they werent trying to negotiate with him. We can argue what should have happened but the rest of the NFL agreed with his valve and that's why he retired.Sometime its time and it was his time to leave. They see valve in Tillman so they have a greater valve assessed to him and he's back here because he has loyality to the organisation and realized that was the best thing to do.We dont know for sure but after visiting other teams he came back, I totally think he accepted the offer they made him and didnt negotiate. Urlacher was always about himself, Peanut is a different type of person and has class.

For those of you who love to bang on Urlacher and in the event you accuse him of never having anything optimistic to say:

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/a...e/p2p-79791700/

It's good to see him step up and compliment his former team. He even mentioned that he talked with George McKaskey. Hopefully they will work something out.

Peace :dabears

Even a broken clock is right twice a day!

But, all kidding aside, I'm really glad to see that he said that. It really doesn't take much for fans to forgive.

For those of you who love to bang on Urlacher and in the event you accuse him of never having anything optimistic to say:

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/a...e/p2p-79791700/

It's good to see him step up and compliment his former team. He even mentioned that he talked with George McKaskey. Hopefully they will work something out.

Peace :dabears

One thing I did notice was that when Urlacher left McCaskey was one of the folks that said he was disappointed to see him go. Seeing as that seems to be a rarity you had to believe that it was a genuine thought and honorable on Urlacher's behalf.