WTF moment

AZ54

We are inside 1 week left before the draft. I'm going to spend the next few days trying to figure out who Emery's WTF pick will be. So far in his drafts it's been SMC followed by Kyle Long. I just posted in the other thread about "Emery's 6". Well that's what logic tells us. History tells us we're wrong.

So who are we missing?

Nix? Jernigan is more of a run stuffer than pass rusher. If you're going to go that route why not get the best run stuffer in the draft, one who also has some inside push as well? It's not hard to see Nix having the better career over Jernigan. At one point it was Nix who was rated the #1 DT in this draft.

Fuller? I just posted that I don't think we'd take him at #14 but I'm always wrong with Phil in Rd 1 and this kid does make plays all over the field.

Ebron? As Phil said, get the players that can get on the field now. This guy paired up with our WR and Bennett would make us very hard to stop. Matt Forte will be very happy. When Bennett was injured last year our offense struggled so depth here (and at RB) is important IMO.

Barr? Yes we just spent a fortune (at least in my terms) on FA DEs. Yet Jared Allen is near the end of the road in 3 years. Houston is a nice mix of run defender/pass rusher but is more of a LDE. Young is good as your backup/swing DE. Barr needs a couple seasons of coaching and could be an elite pass rusher in this league. Having that type of player on the roster is incredibly valuable, hard to find, and the timing is perfect as he gets groomed to replace Allen in 3 seasons.

Dennard? Trying to model what Seattle's defense does then get an in-your-face CB who has much better speed than Richard Sherman. I can easily see him filling Tillman's role in 2015.

I think if we could predict the WTF moment it wouldn't be much of a WTF moment. But I can almost guarantee you it's going to happen. Emery follows his own rules and doesn't seem to take any of the national media rankings into account. So far that's produced both good and bad results although Shea is still an "incomplete" in the grade book, at least as far as the team is concerned. I'm hopeful he's solid at LB but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway, his WTF moment will come in the seconnd round this year, not the first. That's all I'm willing to commit to.

I think if we could predict the WTF moment it wouldn't be much of a WTF moment. But I can almost guarantee you it's going to happen. Emery follows his own rules and doesn't seem to take any of the national media rankings into account. So far that's produced both good and bad results although Shea is still an "incomplete" in the grade book, at least as far as the team is concerned. I'm hopeful he's solid at LB but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway, his WTF moment will come in the seconnd round this year, not the first. That's all I'm willing to commit to.

I can see that as well, I think this years draft, at the slot we're at there is more sure fire talent there than the last 2 years.

Also as Ashkum said, he seems to fill needs over BPA.

Last year a guy like Sherrif Floyd would have been BPA but Emery didn't see that as a need(Perhaps foolishly).

This year our needs seem to coincide with the players that will be there around 14. If one of Donald/HHCD/Pryor is there in the first I'd be a little shocked if they aren't the pick....

I can see that as well, I think this years draft, at the slot we're at there is more sure fire talent there than the last 2 years.

Also as Ashkum said, he seems to fill needs over BPA.

Last year a guy like Sherrif Floyd would have been BPA but Emery didn't see that as a need(Perhaps foolishly).

This year our needs seem to coincide with the players that will be there around 14. If one of Donald/HHCD/Pryor is there in the first I'd be a little shocked if they aren't the pick....

Pick #14 will more than likely be from this group: Donald/Jernigan/HHCD/Pryor/Dennard/Gilbert

Pick #14 will more than likely be from this group: Donald/Jernigan/HHCD/Pryor/Dennard/Gilbert

Agreed, I was just about to post those same 6 guys over in the "Emery 6" thread.

I'd give Jernigan the slight upper hand over Hageman just because Hageman wasn't that impressive at the Senior Bowl. But then again Jernigan wasn't even there(he's a Junior).

I'll make a bold WTF moment and say it happens in the 3rd......Donalds gonna be gone, we go FS/CB in the first 2 rounds, then with the 3rd pick they take....wait for it.... Caraun Reid DT outta Princeton..... After Donald I thought he was the 2nd most impressive DT at the Senior Bowl and I wouldn't be shocked to see Phil take him over guys like the LSU DTs and Sutton.

We are inside 1 week left before the draft. I'm going to spend the next few days trying to figure out who Emery's WTF pick will be. So far in his drafts it's been SMC followed by Kyle Long. I just posted in the other thread about "Emery's 6". Well that's what logic tells us. History tells us we're wrong.

So who are we missing?

Nix? Jernigan is more of a run stuffer than pass rusher. If you're going to go that route why not get the best run stuffer in the draft, one who also has some inside push as well? It's not hard to see Nix having the better career over Jernigan. At one point it was Nix who was rated the #1 DT in this draft.

Fuller? I just posted that I don't think we'd take him at #14 but I'm always wrong with Phil in Rd 1 and this kid does make plays all over the field.

Ebron? As Phil said, get the players that can get on the field now. This guy paired up with our WR and Bennett would make us very hard to stop. Matt Forte will be very happy. When Bennett was injured last year our offense struggled so depth here (and at RB) is important IMO.

Barr? Yes we just spent a fortune (at least in my terms) on FA DEs. Yet Jared Allen is near the end of the road in 3 years. Houston is a nice mix of run defender/pass rusher but is more of a LDE. Young is good as your backup/swing DE. Barr needs a couple seasons of coaching and could be an elite pass rusher in this league. Having that type of player on the roster is incredibly valuable, hard to find, and the timing is perfect as he gets groomed to replace Allen in 3 seasons.

Dennard? Trying to model what Seattle's defense does then get an in-your-face CB who has much better speed than Richard Sherman. I can easily see him filling Tillman's role in 2015.

WTF moments so far

1. Dan Bazuin- 2nd round DE from my old college football team..... Just kidding this was JA not Emery

1. Shea= I was like WHO THE F%$K, went straight to google.

2. Kyle Long= again WHO THE.....turned out to be good tho

Funny thing that both his first round picks have been WTF. I am on the side that believes the Shea pick was more Lovie than Emery tho.

I really hope that a stud does fall to us and we don't have another WTF moment. Because of Long I will freak out less if he does pick a WTF guy!

WTF moments so far

1. Dan Bazuin- 2nd round DE from my old college football team..... Just kidding this was JA not Emery

1. Shea= I was like WHO THE F%$K, went straight to google.

2. Kyle Long= again WHO THE.....turned out to be good tho

Funny thing that both his first round picks have been WTF. I am on the side that believes the Shea pick was more Lovie than Emery tho.

I really hope that a stud does fall to us and we don't have another WTF moment. Because of Long I will freak out less if he does pick a WTF guy!

The Shae pick was all Lovie. No doubt.

If there is a WTF pick, I'd say it's Ebron. Total luxury pick.

Usually the top end of a draft is fairly well sorted out in terms of who the first 5-7 players drafted will be. Outside of Jadeveon Clowney I don't see that this year. Evaluations of some players are all over the place as evidenced by this Top 100 list with Bridgewater as #1 overall.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-dra...100-draft-board

Aside from the Bridgewater ranking there are several others of interest to our needs. Nix is at #14 quite a bit higher than most other rankings I've seen. Safeties are ranked: Pryor #16, Ward #20, HHCD #21.

It's not too hard to find HHCD ranked late 1st Rd, here at #29:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000034...pects-big-board

and he's got Jernigan ranked all the way back at #39 overall, again behind Nix. Nawrocki also has Mosley at #8 overall and cites his ability to be scheme versatile….a buzz word for our defensive coaching staff this offseason.

….."Smart, instinctive, fast-flowing, every-down linebacker capable of manning any position in a "40" front or steering a defense from the weak side in a "30" front"

--------------

If we grab Nix it will be surprising but perhaps not quite a WTF moment as we all know who he is. Back in January we'd have all be happy if we got Nix at #14. If we grab a DT with our 1st pick, I agree that our WTF moment is going to be in Rd 2. At that point Emery might just go with the value of a TE or RB. What if Bridgewater is there for our 2nd pick? Are we really sold on Palmer as our backup QB?

The Bears will pick a successfully collegiate player for their first pick.

For their second pick they'll choose someone not quite as talented but still rated highly.

And so on....

This we know with fair certainty.

Why did they move the draft back? Ugh.

FWIW Emery said he loves having the extra time.

How's this for a Wtf moment... Johnny Manziel... emery takes bpa.. manziel drops and ewe take him to back up cutler...

QB is the only position I'd absolutely hate to see the Bears take in the 1R. I Always try to reason with whatever decision coaching and management makes, but I will go off and have a nice long rant about that decision were it to happen.

How's this for a Wtf moment... Johnny Manziel... emery takes bpa.. manziel drops and ewe take him to back up cutler...

I don't like Manziel as an NFL QB. Loved watching him in college but I have doubts about that style of play keeping him off the injured list at the next level. Tacklers won't bounce off him like they do with Cam Newton.

Here is a link from NFL.com that gives Emery's view on drafting "developmental QBs". In a nutshell, he says no.

NFL.com Article on Emery's View on the QB position in the draft

I don't really know what to make of those comments. I mean, one one hand, it's pretty intuitive - you don't generally get long-term starters in later rounds. But to say that means the Bears wound't draft a later round QB presumes that long term starters are the only type of QBs that have value in the league, which is certainly not true (and a brief review of Bears history would tell you as much). So, while I don't think the Bears see a QB they draft in this draft as the long term solution/heir apparent to Cutler, that doesn't discount the possibility that they draft one with the intention of getting a quality backup (which this team could definitely use), a short term starter, or coaching him up and trading him in the future.

I don't really know what to make of those comments. I mean, one one hand, it's pretty intuitive - you don't generally get long-term starters in later rounds. But to say that means the Bears wound't draft a later round QB presumes that long term starters are the only type of QBs that have value in the league, which is certainly not true (and a brief review of Bears history would tell you as much). So, while I don't think the Bears see a QB they draft in this draft as the long term solution/heir apparent to Cutler, that doesn't discount the possibility that they draft one with the intention of getting a quality backup (which this team could definitely use), a short term starter, or coaching him up and trading him in the future.

The problem with this line of thinking is at what point will the guy we draft in the 6th round be ready to play? Essentially, we would have to keep him on the roster as a #3 QB and wait for him to develop. We are committed to Jay Cuter being the starting QB for at least the next 3 seasons. So what's the point?

Or you can get a professional QB for the minimum. Dude who's been in the league and knows the ins and outs. A guy you know is capable that you can plug in as your #2 QB and not have to worry about a #3.

Heck, Rex Grossman is still a free agent. Why wouldn't you get a guy like him over a 6th round 22 year old?

It could be more smoke to. Encourage teams that need QB to get one in the first two rounds. I think a qb can be groomed from the lower rounds if a team actually spends the time and effort to develop him. I would like to see a team have the regular coaching staff and then development coaches that can spend more time with the younger players.

I still think we should take a flyer on one in the later rounds. Tom Brady is due to happen again.

Could be smoke, but I think he's genuine when saying that. Didn't Palmer look real good in the presaason(FWIW)? He also brought up Jerrod Johnson's name in the presser the other day...Don't sleep on him as that developmental prospect everyone wants.

Could be smoke, but I think he's genuine when saying that. Didn't Palmer look real good in the presaason(FWIW)? He also brought up Jerrod Johnson's name in the presser the other day...Don't sleep on him as that developmental prospect everyone wants.

Palmer looked WAY better than McCown during last years pre-seasons. But then again, McCown looked pretty bad. Apparently, that's how he looks when he's not passing to BM, AJ, and the Black Unicorn. Good luck Lovie.

I just don't get the need or want for a developmental prospect. I remember of plenty developmental prospects drafted by the Bears who sucked and are now out of the league. Kyle Orton was ok, but I sure as hell don't want to spend a 4th round pick on a QB.

I don't know if it's just me, but your signature block picture screws up the width of the screen. Could you resize it so scrolling sideways isn't necessary?

Palmer looked WAY better than McCown during last years pre-seasons. But then again, McCown looked pretty bad. Apparently, that's how he looks when he's not passing to BM, AJ, and the Black Unicorn. Good luck Lovie.

I just don't get the need or want for a developmental prospect. I remember of plenty developmental prospects drafted by the Bears who sucked and are now out of the league. Kyle Orton was ok, but I sure as hell don't want to spend a 4th round pick on a QB.

All those developmental guys were drafted by a collection of bad-to-average coaches and GMs. We might have a good group of coaches and a smart GM finally. That's why I think a developmental QB is a good idea. Same as what the Packers have done for years, and it's the reason why they were able to go straight from an eternity with Fartve to what will be a long time with Rodgers. Meanwhile, the Bears have had 128 QBs during that time.

I don't know if it's just me, but your signature block picture screws up the width of the screen. Could you resize it so scrolling sideways isn't necessary?

Hasn't been a problem for me, nut I've been meaning to make a new one anyway. I'll throw somethin together tomorrow and switch it up.