Aaron Kromer tearful appology to team

Bears4Ever_34

The offense learned that Monday in a meeting room at Halas Hall when offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer made an emotional and tearful apology for criticizing the quarterback in a private conversation at Soldier Field with an NFL Network reporter last week.

Four sources told the Tribune that Kromer adamantly denied he said anything about the franchise having buyer's remorse for Cutler's blockbuster contract and assured players that portion of Sunday's report on NFL Network did not come from him. With Cutler in the room, Kromer did admit however to being frustrated with the quarterback's play management and expressing that to Ian Rapoport as he left Soldier Field on Dec. 4 after the fifth loss in seven games.

Cutler shook his head during Kromer's apology, one source said.

More at link

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...1211-story.html

This team is a complete mess..

Agreed. I don't think its the system that's flawed. Primarily the user. Can't blame Kromer for being frustrated. We all are too.

Cant blame him for being pissed, still there is no reason to run his mouth to a guy that has nothing to do with the Bears. The guy is looking for his next storyline, Kromer gave it to him.

Kromer has been doing this long enough to know better.

Cant blame him for being pissed, still there is no reason to run his mouth to a guy that has nothing to do with the Bears. The guy is looking for his next storyline, Kromer gave it to him.

Kromer has been doing this long enough to know better.

I'm happy he did this... i hope it turns into josh mcdaniels 2.0 anything to piss off cutler and make him force a trade on us... get him outta Chicago!!!

How has Kromer not been fired yet. I also find this whole thing laughable and feel so sorry for the Bears players to deal with this incompetence. The more and more I see, the more I wonder how much any of our offensive struggles are due to the players vs. just a historically disasterous coaching staff.

Coaches blame our QB when he audibles...now when he doesn't. I've been hard on Jay but at this point, I just want Emery and all the stooges he brought in out, bring in some real football people and let them decide what they want to do with Jay. If they want to keep him, great, if they want to sit him for a year and than cut him, fine, if they want to trade him, fine, but I don't want any clown currently in the organization involved (other than of course Stein).

This is a complete and utter disaster.

They have got to clean house at the end of the year.

Peace :dabears

That better mean Emery too. He can't get a free pass for how big of a disaster this is. I've never seen anything worse in my liftime of watching the Bears than this (lets say I started when I was 5...so that is 26 years). A lot of you have me beat but I'm going to guess you all feel the same.

Wanny would be a freaking upgrade, LOL.

This is bizarre. How does the "Cutler almost benched" let alone the "buyers remorse" thing get out in the first place? It's wrong in layers and reeks of desperation, discord and mutiny within the team. How else do you get assistants saying things the HC and GM have to deny or spin? Then OMG, a tearful apology to your franchise QB and it gets out too!?. You turned Jay Cutler into a franchise killer as he shakes his head in disdain of the whole situation. You think Cutler was difficult before, he's not taking any stock of this guy anymore. In all of this, you can't get shit for Cutler in a trade now.

We as fans can only hope this all unsubstantiated bullshit. I'm thinking we've seen the smoke before; therefore there must be fire.

Kromer is going to come on at 1:20 Chicago time, then Cutler, and then Tresman to talk to the press.

It really disappoints me it was Kromer. He's the one coach I wanted to see back next year. And I am a little disappointed that those comments didn't come from someone higher than him.

Getting caught saying that means he has to be gone at the end of the year.

CHICAGO -- Multiple sources confirmed a published report Friday that detailed the depth of dysfunction at Halas Hall, with one Chicago Bears assistant coming away with the belief the latest revelation "might have just gotten us all whacked."

An NFL source who spoke to Cutler after Kromer's apology said the quarterback "certainly isn't happy."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...zing-jay-cutler

The fact that Kromer still has a job today speaks of the abomination and joke this team has become. How can Cutler even look at this guy, let alone work with him as the quarterback.

Kromer is going to come on at 1:20 Chicago time, then Cutler, and then Tresman to talk to the press.

It really disappoints me it was Kromer. He's the one coach I wanted to see back next year. And I am a little disappointed that those comments didn't come from someone higher than him.

Getting caught saying that means he has to be gone at the end of the year.

Someone else could have said stuff too. Who knows. Bottom line, if you feel that way and think it is the QB's fault, how about you tell the QB, how about you are vocal and actually make changes. Going behind and leaking stuff to the press is just pathetic.

I'd be very surprised if Kromer is gone.

Why? He is the OC, and we have regressed as a team. The play calling, which he owns is horrible. Who knows, Trestman might have given Kromer more control over the offense and this is what we got.

Who leaks something as anonymous then admits to doing it? Someone that was probably going to be outed. So in order to save face, you come out and admit it. Sounds weak to me. Zero accountability in this organization. He should be fired on the spot. Say it on the record or don't say it.

Some classic tweets:

What. A. Circus.

What an embarrassment for Aaron Kromer. What kind of person would admit to being offensive coordinator for the Bears?

#Bears cannot tolerate this breach of trust by Aaron Kromer. They must fire Mel Tucker immediately.

If any of my anonymous sources is thinking of outing him/herself to his/her co-workers, Aaron Kromer-style... I'd recommend sleeping on it.

Why do you say anything like this unless you want out? The trust is broken now and Kromer just resigned, essentially

If you want Marc Trestman out as Bears head coach this Aaron Kromer fiasco is the best thing that could have happened.

How has Kromer not been fired yet. I also find this whole thing laughable and feel so sorry for the Bears players to deal with this incompetence. The more and more I see, the more I wonder how much any of our offensive struggles are due to the players vs. just a historically disasterous coaching staff.

Coaches blame our QB when he audibles...now when he doesn't. I've been hard on Jay but at this point, I just want Emery and all the stooges he brought in out, bring in some real football people and let them decide what they want to do with Jay. If they want to keep him, great, if they want to sit him for a year and than cut him, fine, if they want to trade him, fine, but I don't want any clown currently in the organization involved (other than of course Stein).

It's not when he does or doesn't audible, it's how. If Cutler is choosing incorrectly, that's huge. All said, I've held my judgment of Cutler all season. While I love his talent, I can't get past the little things he doesn't do that leaders do. Time for him to go.

Why? He is the OC, and we have regressed as a team. The play calling, which he owns is horrible. Who knows, Trestman might have given Kromer more control over the offense and this is what we got.

Who leaks something as anonymous then admits to doing it? Someone that was probably going to be outed. So in order to save face, you come out and admit it. Sounds weak to me. Zero accountability in this organization. He should be fired on the spot. Say it on the record or don't say it.

So maybe I'm confused. Going back to the Lovie days, most here would admonish him because his press conferences were bland and devoid of any controversy. People were upset because no 'open' discussions were happening about what was going on behind the scene. Save for a few outbursts from Urlacher time to time.

Then this happens. Kromer essentially says what most of us (I know I have) have been thinking all this time. That keeping AND paying Cutler was a mistake. Tearful or not the fact that Kromer calls it like he saw it, I have no problem with. He didn't agree with the move and decided he'd had enough. Maybe he wasn't consulted and this is his way (as someone else suggested) to get out of working in Chicago? Who knows?

It's obvious there is a lot of dysfunction but it's not Kromer's doing.

So maybe I'm confused. Going back to the Lovie days, most here would admonish him because his press conferences were bland and devoid of any controversy. People were upset because no 'open' discussions were happening about what was going on behind the scene. Save for a few outbursts from Urlacher time to time.

Then this happens. Kromer essentially says what most of us (I know I have) have been thinking all this time. That keeping AND paying Cutler was a mistake. Tearful or not the fact that Kromer calls it like he saw it, I have no problem with. He didn't agree with the move and decided he'd had enough. Maybe he wasn't consulted and this is his way (as someone else suggested) to get out of working in Chicago? Who knows?

You basically stated that Kromer and you agree on Cutler. There are no facts to back that up. And you don't hold Kromer accountable because he, without fact, validates your opinion. Funny thing is; you don't need that to win the debate. You held firm and were right. You don't need speculation.

Dude, get over Lovie

I am not saying he is wrong about how he feels, but in his position as the Offensive Coordinator, you can't handle it like that. Being critical publicly is one thing, but doing it anonymously is pretty cowardly. This team already had problems and now you add coaching trust into the mix (if it already wasn't there). So yeah, I agree that if he wanted out, that this was probably a safe way to get out without being the bad guy. Now every player will question if he is even being truthful to them about anything.

How is Kromer absolved from any of this? Because he leaked something about Cutler, audibles, and buyers remorse? To me it was more CYA than anything. There was absolutely nothing to gain from leaking anything to the media at this point. He needs to shoulder some of the blame for the offensive drop off as well, he is the OC.

To be fair, he claimed he didn't leak the buyer remorse part. He manned up to the team and admitted to the criticism of Cutler's play and the example that was given.

Rapoport likely combined his comments with other rumors and leaks he had heard. Kromer is taking the backlash for all of it.

Personally, I don't hold any of this against Kromer. It could have a lingering effect that follows him through out his career and he likely cost himself his job for putting his name to it.