Salary Cap

jason

Who can be cut without detriment to the team? I don't give a damn if it's half the team, to be quite honest. I think Jared Allen is untouchable because of the money, but who else falls into that boat? The only players on defense who I want kept are cheap, good, or financial obligations. But I don't have a real interest in any except Jennings, Peanut, Fuller, Jones, Jennings, Young, and Paea.

FWIW I still think Allen should stay at least one more year. His leadership, we specially with all the changes, is an immeasurable intangible. And this year was a dud due to his having Tucker as DC and illness.

I like him and think he is good for the team. I'm not sure on the money, there are conflicting articles. The first says he can be cut, the other says it was guaranteed back in April.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/...ads-up-in-2015/

Per a source with knowledge of the deal, Allen receives a $3 million fully guaranteed base salary in 2014. For 2015, he gets a fully guaranteed base salary and a fully guaranteed roster bonus of $11.5 million, triggered on the 10th day of the 2015 league year.

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/03/27/jared-all...plus-an-option/

According to contract details obtained by USA TODAY Sports, Allen didn’t receive a signing bonus and will make just $3 million in base salary this year. In 2015, he’s due an $11.5 million roster bonus – fully guaranteed as of April 9 this year – and $1 million base salary.

Once again, we are basing our opinions off of a Mel Tucker ran defense. Was there any players that looked consistently good under this D? Sure Paea and Ratliff had some inside presence with sacks, but teams gutted the inside with running. I would throw away all opinions, except of Shea, Shea we know is terrible.

The Bears will have a healthy cap going for next season. One thing the Bears want to get away from is relying on Free Agency to fill position of needs. They have said this process will take up to 3 years to get where they would like.

I like him and think he is good for the team. I'm not sure on the money, there are conflicting articles. The first says he can be cut, the other says it was guaranteed back in April.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/...ads-up-in-2015/

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/03/27/jared-all...plus-an-option/

If the money is a roster bonus then it would be dead money for that year if we cut him. So with 12.5 in dead money he is a Bear in 2015.

Who can be cut without detriment to the team? I don't give a damn if it's half the team, to be quite honest. I think Jared Allen is untouchable because of the money, but who else falls into that boat? The only players on defense who I want kept are cheap, good, or financial obligations. But I don't have a real interest in any except Jennings, Peanut, Fuller, Jones, Jennings, Young, and Paea.

I am with you lock step.

I presume almost everyone. Not sure about Houston, he probably can't be cut. I'm going to guess Jennings might not be able to as well. Other than that, there isn't much money invested in this defense anyway. Its all sunk into the offense.

By the way...welcome back Jason!!!

FWIW I still think Allen should stay at least one more year. His leadership, we specially with all the changes, is an immeasurable intangible. And this year was a dud due to his having Tucker as DC and illness.

He also was a pretty good player after he got over his illness. You just have to realize he's more limited and needs less snaps to be more effective but he can still get after the QB. I'm okay cutting him too though.

I presume almost everyone. Not sure about Houston, he probably can't be cut. I'm going to guess Jennings might not be able to as well. Other than that, there isn't much money invested in this defense anyway. Its all sunk into the offense.

By the way...welcome back Jason!!!

I want the rookies DTs back they showed enough to have some promise.

I think Allen stays. Houston and Young both coming off injuries leaves us with Bass, Washington and ….? Houston I think will be back too. At this point there is no value in the discussion because we don't know what scheme our new coach is going to use. If we go 3-4 on D then what value does Jared Allen have? Houston OTOH can play DE. Stay 4-3 and the opposite is true.

I do agree that Jared Allen is not a full-time player. He'd be more effective with less snaps and his leadership will be needed on a young roster this offseason. Not worth the contract we signed him to but we still have to field a team and I believe veterans like Allen help a young team compete much quicker than you will see under a full rebuilding project.

I don't care to see Peanut back. I think his body is done. DJ Wiliam's body is done with football too. Nobody knows when SMC is on the field so nobody will know if SMC leaves.

Now that Bostic and Jones seem to have learned how to play we need to get a proper MLB on the roster and fix both safety positions and the D is ok. Greatness will never come until we get a pass rush and I think that is 2-3 years away.

Based on all of the above, that leaves the defense with SERIOUS question marks. Assuming a 4-3, Peanut's release, Briggs's release,

DE: Allen / Houston

DT: Paea

DT: Ratliff? Sutton?

DE: Young

WLB: ??

MLB: Bostic?

SLB: Jones?

CB: ??

FS: Vereen?

SS: ??

CB: Jennings

Looks to me like the team needs to draft LB, CB, and SS. Maybe even FS if Vereen isn't the answer.

Based on all of the above, that leaves the defense with SERIOUS question marks. Assuming a 4-3, Peanut's release, Briggs's release,

DE: Allen / Houston

DT: Paea

DT: Ratliff? Sutton?

DE: Young

WLB: ??

MLB: Bostic?

SLB: Jones?

CB: ??

FS: Vereen?

SS: ??

CB: Jennings

Looks to me like the team needs to draft LB, CB, and SS. Maybe even FS if Vereen isn't the answer.

Put DE at the top of the list. We need someone fast off the edge. Washington started to show flashes before he was injured but not enough to count on going into next year.

Put DE at the top of the list. We need someone fast off the edge. Washington started to show flashes before he was injured but not enough to count on going into next year.

Really?!

With Allen, Houston, Paea, Ratliff, Sutton, and Young all likely back, you want a speed rush DE? Who do you sit? Allen or Young? Or Houston? Are you proposing a four DE rotation? Or cutting one of the aforementioned? I just don't see a DE in the first. I truly hope it doesn't happen, either, because the guys at the Bears' spot are McClellin-esque.

Really?! With Allen, Houston, Paea, Ratliff, Sutton, and Young all likely back, you want a speed rush DE? Who do you sit? Allen or Young? Or Houston? Are you proposing a four DE rotation? Or cutting one of the aforementioned? I just don't see a DE in the first. I truly hope it doesn't happen, either, because the guys at the Bears' spot are McClellin-esque.

With our current roster, I don't see how we can add more to the DE either, possibly DT if Paea is not re-signed. It would be a luxury pick or we will be cutting players creating more dead cap. I can see finding a cheaper FA to come in on a one year deal if Houston/Young/Washington are expected to miss a portion of next season.

This roster needs 2-Safeties (starters or depth), 1-MLB(starter), 1-CB-(starter/nickel/depth), 1-TE (depth), 1-C (starter/depth), and 1-QB(#1/#2 vet)

Until this team has depth at all positions, we cannot afford to cut under performing vets or failed draft picks. This stems back from 10 years of bad drafting.

Really?!

With Allen, Houston, Paea, Ratliff, Sutton, and Young all likely back, you want a speed rush DE? Who do you sit? Allen or Young? Or Houston? Are you proposing a four DE rotation? Or cutting one of the aforementioned? I just don't see a DE in the first. I truly hope it doesn't happen, either, because the guys at the Bears' spot are McClellin-esque.

I'll bite because I agree with AZ. Jared Allen is old and wayyyy overpaid. Houston was worthless all the way up to the blown out knee. Young just ruptured his Achilles tendon so we don't have anyone that I trust to get after the QB. If you can't get to the QB, nothing else behind that will succeed.

If they guys suck at 7, I agree. Then I go blue chip LT or D...