Is Marshall on the way out?

Stinger226

I've thought about it and I want Marshall out. When you have the right culture build, you can bring in guys like Marshall and make it work, however, it is hard to build the right culture when those guys are in-house and helping shape your new culture. My opinion....Marshall is gone. The Bears new coaches and GM need to build the right culture and to do that, they need to make sure that the people building that foundation are right and I don't think Marshall helps in that regard.

There are reports of Briggs literally walking out on him after he told Gould to shut the F up, you are just a kicker. Stuff is going to get said all the time, but having one of your key guys and your face being a manic when you are trying to establish a type of culture is extremely counterproductive.

Guest TerraTor
I'll be surprised and disappointed if they move Marshall. He's one of the few assets we have on this team. And losing your shit over how poorly this team played this year is a POSITIVE in my book.

If there's more behind the scenes I'm unaware of, OK. But if this is about his one tirade, that's bullshit.

Same here... how in God's name is letting him go a positive step.. i mean my god

Same here... how in God's name is letting him go a positive step.. i mean my god

I'll double down on this. (Or triple since Cracker Jack said it first). Anyhow the fact that not only does he display great leadership (off season workouts with others, sideline and locker room) but he's still functioning at a high level. No way do you consider letting him go.

FWIW, I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the exchange between Gould and BM. Gould has been known to lip off in the past. (Hester and he arguing on the sideline s few years ago being one example). And as most of us who have played know that if a guy like a kicker/punter starts getting edgy, we're going to tell him to shut it.

And as most of us who have played know that if a guy like a kicker/punter starts getting edgy, we're going to tell him to shut it.

Remember Manning's comments a few years ago about his liquored up kicker? Point made. IF I'm in the heat of the battle and a little pussy kicker gets in my face at the wrong time, he might get a bit more than yelled at.

I'll double down on this. (Or triple since Cracker Jack said it first). Anyhow the fact that not only does he display great leadership (off season workouts with others, sideline and locker room) but he's still functioning at a high level. No way do you consider letting him go.

FWIW, I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the exchange between Gould and BM. Gould has been known to lip off in the past. (Hester and he arguing on the sideline s few years ago being one example). And as most of us who have played know that if a guy like a kicker/punter starts getting edgy, we're going to tell him to shut it.

Get rid of BM? No way would I do that. He's a beast and he has heart. And, as mentioned, guys are lining up to train with him in the offseason. Gould? I love the guy, but, as someone said HE"S A KICKER! Let him jammer all he wants.

I don't care if we trade Marshall if the new GM and HC feel it's the right thing to do. I care a great deal that this rumor is out there before or around the same time as we hire a GM because that means ownership is meddling again and I don't want to see that. I think Marshall is fine if we get a coach who demands accountability from his roster and not just including Marshall in that statement.

Briggs walking out on Marshall's rant…well Briggs walked out on his entire team to open a restaurant so he had zero credibility and was a much bigger part of the problem than Marshall IMO.

Right now with our QB situation a mess I prefer to keep Marshall. He's a huge help in the redone and all over the field and not just as a receiver, he's a great blocker for running plays. We need to run the ball.

The fact is many of his teammates dont like him, his personality wears thin on teammates, with no leadership on the team. He is a self proclaimed leader. We dont have any strong personalities in the locker room anymore(Kuentz, Urlacher) to off set his craziness. He is still capable of being a good WR but you cant keep him around as he alienates fellow teammates with his craziness. I suspect if you have a strong personality as the coach it may work, but that would be up to the coach if he wants him.

I can care less about his personality to be honest, why I wanna trade BM is because 1. He's kinda getting up there in age, and he might still have some decent trade value. 2. I'm not so sure Wilson will be that deep threat this team needs, so if you can get a pick for BM and turn that into a legit deep threat, this team could actually end up being better.

The fact is many of his teammates dont like him, his personality wears thin on teammates, with no leadership on the team. He is a self proclaimed leader. We dont have any strong personalities in the locker room anymore(Kuentz, Urlacher) to off set his craziness. He is still capable of being a good WR but you cant keep him around as he alienates fellow teammates with his craziness. I suspect if you have a strong personality as the coach it may work, but that would be up to the coach if he wants him.

Is this a fact or what you hear by radio sport talk show hosts and sport writers who don't like BM? Do you you have a legit insider that specifically told you this?

Fact, losing makes it harder for players to work together from a team prospective especially when you have a Head Coach with no leadership ability i.e. Trestman.

I would not get of BM unless he truly was detrimental to the team and organization not just because he rubs the media the wrong way.

Is this a fact or what you hear by radio sport talk show hosts and sport writers who don't like BM? Do you you have a legit insider that specifically told you this?

Fact, losing makes it harder for players to work together from a team prospective especially when you have a Head Coach with no leadership ability i.e. Trestman.

I would not get of BM unless he truly was detrimental to the team and organization not just because he rubs the media the wrong way.

all the information coming out of the locker room is reports from writers and radio and television personalities. As he makes an ass out of himself after a game when everybody can see and hears him argue with teammates. It was not one report but many from different sources. I dont think several different people have formed a conspiracy against him. I agree a winning locker room would make his act more tolerable, but were an awful team and he doesnt handle stress very well. I have a friend that has similar emotional issues and when you spend a lot of time with him, it wears you out. If there are many reports of these antics, I believe them to be true, but you can judge information on your own, I believe them to be true. He has been arrested 22 times for abuse issues, that is a fact.

I can care less about his personality to be honest, why I wanna trade BM is because 1. He's kinda getting up there in age, and he might still have some decent trade value. 2. I'm not so sure Wilson will be that deep threat this team needs, so if you can get a pick for BM and turn that into a legit deep threat, this team could actually end up being better.

there are several age and health issues to take into consideration. An example of this type of situation is Percy Havin being traded from Seattle mid season. He was a cancer to a Super Bowl winning team and they needed him gone. Now with things settled down, there back on track to go to the Super Bowl.

All this Marshall has to go is garbage. Until Ryan Pace decides this, speculating is what it is. If teammates are afraid of Marshall, than maybe they are the ones that need to go. Brandon is a loud mouth. We all hate loudmouths. He is also a competitor, showed how to play through pain, and caring enough to help his teammates get better as players. He gives back to the community, maybe more than most. Teammates don't want him to step up and be vocal, but they sit on their hands in the locker room. It took Gould to tell Marshall to STFU. Gould the freaking kicker. That is why Pace stressed finding leaders. Who else tried taking a leadership role really late? Tim Jennings. This franchise needs leaders. They need captains, not some damn rotation bs.

I for one think Marshall will mature even more so with the birth of his twins. Having a strong HC will help also.

All this Marshall has to go is garbage. Until Ryan Pace decides this, speculating is what it is. If teammates are afraid of Marshall, than maybe they are the ones that need to go. Brandon is a loud mouth. We all hate loudmouths. He is also a competitor, showed how to play through pain, and caring enough to help his teammates get better as players. He gives back to the community, maybe more than most. Teammates don't want him to step up and be vocal, but they sit on their hands in the locker room. It took Gould to tell Marshall to STFU. Gould the freaking kicker. That is why Pace stressed finding leaders. Who else tried taking a leadership role really late? Tim Jennings. This franchise needs leaders. They need captains, not some damn rotation bs.

I for one think Marshall will mature even more so with the birth of his twins. Having a strong HC will help also.

Let Pace and a new HC sit BM down and tell him what will be tolerated and what won't be.

I hope he is not traded, I love watching him play.

For Jay and BM- the only way I would be fine with them being traded would be getting 2nd or higher draft picks.

Trading either would also mean it's a total rebuild. Pace did say you can win quickly.

BM made minor news last season in comparison to others when it came to discipline. Martellus Bennet during training camp, Briggs and his restaurant, Briggs and his sleeping (or at least admittedly zoning out) during meetings and Tim Jennings recently all make BM look like a choir boy. Just because he may have yelled at a player or two and possibly questioned Jay out loud after a game doesn't tell me he's a "cancer" but more passionate about winning and pissed because they weren't. So if "reports are coming out of the locker room" then it's because a few folks' feelings were stepped on.

And I don't think BM has ever "self-proclaimed" his leadership. He just provided and opportunity for others to join him in off season trainig and they (AJ and Wilson) followed. And you know what? It seemed to pay off.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of him.

I do know it was dumb of the team to let him galavant cross country to tape his show on cable. That should not have been allowed. Other than that, I don't blame him for outburts in the locker room. That should have stayed in the locker room.

He was one of the only guys giving it all towards the end before he got hurt.

As you mentioned, he got a lot of guys to get conditioned.

With all that said, I'll leave it up to the GM and eventual coach to do what they feel is necessary. If he stays, don't let him moonlight. If he goes, get something for him.

BM made minor news last season in comparison to others when it came to discipline. Martellus Bennet during training camp, Briggs and his restaurant, Briggs and his sleeping (or at least admittedly zoning out) during meetings and Tim Jennings recently all make BM look like a choir boy. Just because he may have yelled at a player or two and possibly questioned Jay out loud after a game doesn't tell me he's a "cancer" but more passionate about winning and pissed because they weren't. So if "reports are coming out of the locker room" then it's because a few folks' feelings were stepped on.

And I don't think BM has ever "self-proclaimed" his leadership. He just provided and opportunity for others to join him in off season trainig and they (AJ and Wilson) followed. And you know what? It seemed to pay off.

• 2 weeks later...

Bernstein is now contradicting his earlier reports and saying that Pace he has heard that Pace has insisted to ownership that Brandon be kept this upcoming season (and be evaluated by the new coaching staff) and that ownership has apparently accepted this decision.

While we have had posters on both sides of the fence on Marshall, I think we all have been in 100% agreement that any decision should be made by the Bears new front office and coaching staff and that appears to be the case. W/Gase having the background and fact that decisions have to be made by very beginning of March, we'll know quick, but sounds like B will be around and I presume Jay will be too, which is perfectly fine with me (I trust the new staff to make sure this works better than it did with the past regime(s)).

Sounds like business as usual for what we're heard and seen from Pace and Fox. Let them fully evaluate and vet it out.

Bernstein is now contradicting his earlier reports and saying that Pace he has heard that Pace has insisted to ownership that Brandon be kept this upcoming season (and be evaluated by the new coaching staff) and that ownership has apparently accepted this decision.

While we have had posters on both sides of the fence on Marshall, I think we all have been in 100% agreement that any decision should be made by the Bears new front office and coaching staff and that appears to be the case. W/Gase having the background and fact that decisions have to be made by very beginning of March, we'll know quick, but sounds like B will be around and I presume Jay will be too, which is perfectly fine with me (I trust the new staff to make sure this works better than it did with the past regime(s)).

WHAT A SURPRISE.

I think alot of the BM hate come from jealousy. The guy will eventually go from football player to being in the national spotlight while our beat writers and radio host are stuck in chicago. I have no problem with BM being outspoken. I would like to see him stay out of NY on his days off and use that time to get his body ready for the following game. His ankle injury was bad enough that he should have missed a few games and missing valuable time getting treatment could have prolonged it.

That is why I listen down the dial because the two host on that show are smarter than all the callers and listeners.

Reguardless of what you think of Bernstein, it could be that opinions changed once management changed. When the reports that BM was going to be gone first came out, Phil Emery was the GM. Bernstein wasn't the only one reporting that Marshall would/should go.

Two weeks ago today, Pace was hired. Fox was hired last Friday and Gase yesterday. We know have a strong leader in Fox and Gase who coached BM previously.

I listen to BB regularly because, a) 670 the SCORE has stronger reception and I have trouble picking up ESPN 1000 in the car. If I want Bear's talk, they are it for my drive ome. B) I find them to be right most of the time. Even when their opinion is unpopular. c) They are probably an acquired taste. I laugh my ass off when they go on about calling Trestman Dr. Death

That being said, I don't blame you want bit for hating them and I there are plenty of days I wsih I could pick up Waddle and Silvey.

That being said, I don't blame you want bit for hating them and I there are plenty of days I wsih I could pick up Waddle and Silvey.

They're both arrogant assholes but they can be entertaining. Often I get ten minutes into their show because I switched to it during a commercial on another channel and it's about then they get too smug and I switch back to Waddle and Silvy.

Spiegs acted like he wanted to come to blows with Bernstein yesterday talking about Marshall. It was weird. He called Dan out and said the way he treated him and Mannelly was unprofessional and it pissed him off to the point where he said his report was complete BS. Dan continued to be his douchey self and said he was sticking by his report (even though he clearly back tracked) and that he was not going to change the way he treats people.

For more context about what caused this, Bernstein went on the other day during transition and joined in the conversation about Marshall. Dan reiterated that the Marshall decision had already been made. He's out. Pat couldn't believe it. He said that when he was there, Marshall wasn't bad in the lockeroom. When Matt and Pat even entertained the idea that Marshall could be back and that they would want him back, Bernstein quipped, "Agree with me and you'll look smart", That didn't sit well with either of them, and Matt went on yesterday's show to call out Bernstein for the back tracking and the arrogant, condescending attitude with which he treats people.

Of course Bernstein didn't back off. He handled the situation well from an emotional stand point, but never once said he was sorry or any of that. Just business as usual.

I've listened to the show pretty consistently for about 4-5 years now. I've never seen it get to that point before.

I've listened to the show pretty consistently for about 4-5 years now. I've never seen it get to that point before.

Probably because their usual arrogant attitude is reserved for callers. But in this case it was directed at another host/show.

I can't listen to them very much as they just irritate me. Congrats on being able to hang in there for 5 years. They are intelligent but the way they berate people is simply unacceptable.

As far as we know, his source on Ted Phillips was wrong too. I know there's chatter that behind the scenes he relinquished all football duties to Pace and that appears to be the case but that's not been confirmed by anyone at the Bears, AFAIK.

Reguardless of what you think of Bernstein, it could be that opinions changed once management changed. When the reports that BM was going to be gone first came out, Phil Emery was the GM. Bernstein wasn't the only one reporting that Marshall would/should go.

Two weeks ago today, Pace was hired. Fox was hired last Friday and Gase yesterday. We know have a strong leader in Fox and Gase who coached BM previously.

I listen to BB regularly because, a) 670 the SCORE has stronger reception and I have trouble picking up ESPN 1000 in the car. If I want Bear's talk, they are it for my drive ome. B) I find them to be right most of the time. Even when their opinion is unpopular. c) They are probably an acquired taste. I laugh my ass off when they go on about calling Trestman Dr. Death

I don't hate them its just that a lot of their talk is their opinion or bust. I have on occassion have listened to Speigel and Mannely( former Bear) on the SCORE and enjoy them because they don't project a vibe of being arrogant and actually have some decent guests as well. Right now Ernie Accorsi is on ESPN !000.