Press Conference Tomorrow

CrackerDog

I think we will be surprised and be able to get a 2nd rounder for Jay. But I might be crazy. Part of that is I still think you can win with Jay (and I have no problem keeping him) but I do think Pace needs to be focused on finding our next QB and the QB for the future and that starts now. Jay can be around as long as he handles himself as a professional, etc. I only move Jay if you can get something of value for him, but I think we can. I think it is likely to make the rebuild a lot longer but it is the real shot we have at becoming a potential dynasty.

I think you might be crazy. :)

But only about getting a 2nd rounder for Jay.

I'm on record as saying they can stick with Jay and win with him. But I do get why some would want to move on now. He was supposed to be AWESOME in Trestman's offense and frankly, he sucked compared to those expectations. You can argue that he led this stat or another or that some of his picks were garbage but you can't say Jay lived up to expectations. Further, if you commit to him for next year, you're basically giving yourself a cap headache in 2016 when and if you decide he has to be cut.

That's why we need an excellent HC because he has to be able to say whether he can win with Jay for the long haul. And that decision needs to be made ASAP. If they decide to move on they'll need to find a replacement for 2015, eat the cap hit and take the one year of pain. There's something to be said for taking that path.

Lastly, as to us being very anti-Ted, he's earned it. And if he's honestly out of the football decisions, I'm happy. I just know that typically if the head of the snake is retarded, the rest of the snake, all the way down to the rattle, tends to be retarded. Hence why the guy in charge of hiring the guy who hired Trestman probably should've gotten the ax with the rest of them. He's not good at his job. But if he's admitted that and behind the scenes he's only overseeing budgets and the rest is up to Pace, we're probably moving in the right direction.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To butt in...

Teddy is w/ the Bears ownership whether we like it or not. We have no choice in who is owner. So given that, it is the best possible situation for building a team.

Not as comical as your butt love for Jemarcus Webb.........

Let me ask you this, when our new GM needs to lean on someone would you rather him lean on Ted Phillips or Bill Polian or Ron Wolf????

Im betting you are not going to answer Ted Phillips.....Ill say it again, I want the strongest team, front staff and management group possible for the Bears. If you think that is possible with Ted Phillips you are wrong.

Favors no specific philosophy but a coach that can adjust his defense to the players vs. pigeon hole his players into the scheme. (I lean this to meaning a guy like Bowles who has made it all work, injuries, 3-4 / 4-3, etc).

This is a very important statement that I really agree with and believe in philosophically speaking.....and if Pace hires a coach that knows how to maximize the talents of his 53 man roster irregardless of his scheme that is how you can turn around a team much faster and have sustainable success.

Favors no specific philosophy but a coach that can adjust his defense to the players vs. pigeon hole his players into the scheme. (I lean this to meaning a guy like Bowles who has made it all work, injuries, 3-4 / 4-3, etc).

This is a very important statement that I really agree with and believe in philosophically speaking.....and if Pace hires a coach that knows how to maximize the talents of his 53 man roster irregardless of his scheme that is how you can turn around a team much faster and have sustainable success.

What's NO got?

1. Great Coach

2. Great QB

Drew was good in SD, but not as great as he has been in NO. Some has to do with The HC.

I'm wondering who Ernie is recommending for the HC.

I like that Pace will be looking for a Sean Payton type of guy. Not a Trestman type of guy.

Sooooooooo thankful the Enery and Treatman era is over!!!!!

Quick question, did Emery get interviewed for any other GM positions?

Why not have Pace report directly to George?

George only needs to know one thing as chairman and that is what it cost and how much are we making. That is why Pace doesn't report to him. I am sure Georgey will have daily communication with Ryan, but as for reporting, George wants one report to look over the business as a whole. Teddy is good with the finances, but not football, so he will allow Pace the same powers as Angelo/Emery. The only time Teddy steps in is if ownership tells him too. For example we just seen with Trestman and Emery both fired. I also believe the McKaskeys over stepped Angelo in 2006 when the media was fussing over Lovie being way under paid and then so when they fired Jerry. Teddy is the middle man and sure it would be nice to have a football player with a great business mind to run the whole show, but those guys are rare or real old. The Bears structure is fine and to think this is the first time I can remember that the gm isn't forced to keep a coach.

I thought Pace did great in the presser and revealed a few things. I actually like that he picked the Bears and felt that it was the right fit and he wasn't desperate or looking for "the next job".

Just him listing off the characteristics of the QB makes it seem like there is no way Cutler is back this year (or at least not in the long term plans):

“I think a lot of people would say that obviously the intangibles of the quarterback position is critical, right?” Pace said. “There are things that might carry more weight for me on a quarterback than maybe another evaluator.

“But overall, the discipline, toughness, instincts, intelligence. We want reliable players that you know what you’re getting from them on game day.”

After saying things like "reliable" and "instincts" and "intangibles" which are basically what Cutler lacks, I really don't know how an interview is going to change his view on him.

Also, I liked that he said that he wants the coach to be able to maximize the player's abilities with the schemes and not pigeon-hole them into something they are not (McClellin anyone?). Then he also mentions about drafting BPA and not to weight the needs so high. McClellin was basically not a need, BPA, or in the right scheme, so Emery failed 3 times on the same pick. Also, merging of the scouting departments makes a lot of sense, since technically the traits you are looking for should be similar. He also said he would use analytics, but it was only another tool - which is in stark contrast to Emery who would go into detail about all the stats he looked at:

Emery in January 2013: "I went to STATS Inc., went through all the numbers. Went to Pro Football Focus, did all the numbers. I’m familiar with STATS Inc. We’re one of their contracted teams. Spent quite a bit of time with their people, not only their programmers but went to their offices, watched how they grade tape, how they triple check all their facts. So I trust all their data, that’s it’s unbiased, that it doesn’t have my hands in it, that it doesn’t have our coach’s or scout’s hands in it, or anybody else in the league. They are simply reporting fact. Some ways to look at it is in a very Money Ball way, crunching the numbers."

Lastly, this might sound weird, but I liked his energy. He was enthusiastic and is big on everyone buying into the plan, which is much easier to do with a boss that you respect and trust, and a vision you believe in. In a way Emery might have gotten a raw deal at first with the "you must keep Lovie deal", then he did the same thing to Trestman with Marinelli, so the culture was tainted from the beginning.

As Pace said, his next step (and arguably biggest) is getting the right HC. This will be our first true assessment of Pace, so I will withhold any judgement until after that selection, but all signs are pointing to this being a great move by the franchise.

The more I listen to him the more I like. He's still a little green for my liking (at 37) but seems to have his head screwed on straight. As others have said some of the decisions he has to make In quick succession; HC and Cutler status will help shape his characteristics. In the interviews I get a feel that he's purposeful and a pretty genuine guy.

I do like that he played at Eastern Illinois, his dad lives in Crystal Lake (near where my family is) and apparently his wife's family are HUGE Bears fans. And he has a profound respect for Bears tradition. Good luck Ryan!

The more I listen to him the more I like. He's still a little green for my liking (at 37) but seems to have his head screwed on straight. As others have said some of the decisions he has to make In quick succession; HC and Cutler status will help shape his characteristics. In the interviews I get a feel that he's purposeful and a pretty genuine guy.

I do like that he played at Eastern Illinois, his dad lives in Crystal Lake (near where my family is) and apparently his wife's family are HUGE Bears fans. And he has a profound respect for Bears tradition. Good luck Ryan!

We dont know how this will turn out, but going in, it appears his has total control, a plan, and knows what to prioritize. I like that this happened right away, had no Bears ties, and gave him complete control. Hiring the HC is the most important thing that will happen and sounds like he knows what he is looking for. With change, it promotes promise and my optimization is back.

Grizz - Where do you live? I live in Harvard.

Peace :dabears

And that's been stated multiple times from him and others yet some will never accept that. It sounds to me many went into this conference assuming he's been brought into be Ted's yes man, puppet, or whatever. And listened to the conference from that perspective so any hint of that becomes proof of that predetermined opinion and thus fact. Personally it's a jaded way to look at this. Bears have failed in the past, have made a mess of things, thus it will never change, thus they have screwed this up. I think it's early to assume as fact and ignore anything to the contrary. The proof will be in how he does his job, and he has yet to fail but some are acting like that's inevitable. To that I may ask why bother following this if you can't allow the possibility of this change being a positive one? Pace may be the right guy he may not but give someone a chance to succeed before assuming failure. Personally I've seen things that indicate that the Bears realize the status quo isn't going to cut it and that change, real change is needed. Perhaps they finally becoming self aware and realize change was needed. Firing Trestman after two years is a no brainer to us and most of the football world, but in the past the Bears would have drug that out, the Bears firing a HC after two seasons is virtually unheard of. Firing a GM after 3 is also a huge change. How many of us during this past season thought there might be the usual sacrificial lamb to "satisfy the the masses" while avoiding real change till it's painfully obvious it's needed. I for one am encouraged by what George has done and is doing. They recognized that change needed to happen for the good of the team and had the stones to make the change. Rather than allow the team to sink further and recognize that with Emery and Trestman in charge this team was reaching new lows and that doing nothing was not acceptable. I see things that indicate there is a change in how things are done so I'm willing to give it a chance.

You are well spoken in your opinion and agree with you.Several things are different this time, Ernie had input, they moved swiftly and if you have read anything about Pace, he turned down several jobs because he wanted total control over the coach and personal. He took this job, so that means he got it. Everybody worries about Ted, but he is just a money guy, doubt if he even knows all members of the team. He doesnt have to get approval just to report his decisions too. Change springs hope, let him succeed or fail , we will soon be able to figure that out. The coach and first draft will tell us a lot.

You are well spoken in your opinion and agree with you.Several things are different this time, Ernie had input, they moved swiftly and if you have read anything about Pace, he turned down several jobs because he wanted total control over the coach and personal. He took this job, so that means he got it. Everybody worries about Ted, but he is just a money guy, doubt if he even knows all members of the team. He doesnt have to get approval just to report his decisions too. Change springs hope, let him succeed or fail , we will soon be able to figure that out. The coach and first draft will tell us a lot.

Thank you, and I agree about the whole reporting thing is that reporting to someone doesn't automatically imply "must get approval from" Ted. Ted is his boss as CEO reporting to Ted from all accounts sounds more like updating on what's going on. Ted runs the business side, and will need to know and have good communication with his Boss.

Some things I've liked about the way things have been handled after the season ended.

The Bears moved swiftly and decisively to act on removing Trestman and Emmery rather than drag out the inevitable over multiple seasons hoping it will right itself or whatever. Action was needed and they acted.

Reaching out to those who are respected football people including Ernie and the NFL panel, and others in different organizations. George knows that they need to get this right and do it the right way.

While we interviewed coaching candidates we stuck to the ideal steps of hiring the GM first, and have him hire his head coach. As pointed out by other people interviewing a coaching candidate who's in the playoffs you need to interview in the window allowed and what I didn't know was in the second window (after the Conf champ games, only teams who interviewed the first time can interview then so if you wait you'll be waiting till after the super bowl.

What I like about Pace

I like his energy and enthusiasm its wasn't like watching emery put you to sleep. I like that as you mentioned he turned other teams down, he wants to be here and stated that he was only going to leave NO for the right job, the way he talked about his life journey, and how this just felt right. He's not coming here just cause he's chasing the next job.

Many times brought the Q&A back to the importance of hiring right head coach, and how important it is to get that right. But that it's step one, and that a lot of this other stuff can't really be decided till we have the coach in place.

I like that he didn't take the bait on clearly bated questions formed to get a sound bite. Questions about cutler, the staff, etc.

Liked that when asked about players, staff he straight out said he's just got here he hasn't gotten to know people and will not comment or decide anything. Demonstrates that he's all for change but not change for the sake of change.

I like that he wants the best coach and isn't attached to one philosophy offense defense, 3-4, 4-3, quiet, loud, whatever. But rather will focus on the qualities that a winning coach has, discipline, leadership, character.

Wants a coach that will build a system around his players not pigeon hole into his system, not the round peg in a square hole philosophy.

Has seen first hand the what it is like to have a GM, Head Coach, Players (specifically QB) that are on the same page, he emphasized harmony, communication, and the value of everyone being all in together.

He doesn't act or pretend that he knows all the answers and will reach out for advice info (mentioned bugging Ernie a lot). I'm tired of the know it all, smartest guy in the room mentality.

Like the idea of merging college and pro side of putting together and the importance of those two sides knowing what each other is doing and communicating. And how that can put a team in position to draft BPA and building through the draft. Prefers not to push a player just to fill a need if better value is on the board.

The importance of drafting well every year and DEVELOPING players. We have had to be active in free agency because we've failed in the draft room. Mentioned Green Bay as many of us have.