Marshall trade to Jets

Guest TerraTor

https://twitter.com/Ky1eLong/status/573904700321456128

https://twitter.com/Ky1eLong/status/573904700321456128

I imagine that Jeffery would have to be in there also, considering all the help he has given him among others.

OK thats 2, do you really think those that dont like him are going to go viral with their disdain for him? I work on a big job, our company has 16 men there. Ask those 16 if they like the foreman, not many voices in the crowd. if they would have a silent vote to get rid of him, 12 would vote him out. Point is, most people dont voice there opinion out loud, but would get rid of him if given the chance. BM doesnt have the support most of his teammates, that doesnt mean everybody doesnt like him. I read everything I can about the Bears, if you check it out, you will find from people( media) that have been in locker room and have relationship with players ,he doesnt carry much support. He is one of top 10 WRs in the league, yet 3 teams dumped him, you think that is because everybody likes him?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK thats 2, do you really think those that dont like him are going to go viral with their disdain for him? I work on a big job, our company has 16 men there. Ask those 16 if they like the foreman, not many voices in the crowd. if they would have a silent vote to get rid of him, 12 would vote him out. Point is, most people dont voice there opinion out loud, but would get rid of him if given the chance. BM doesnt have the support most of his teammates, that doesnt mean everybody doesnt like him. I read everything I can about the Bears, if you check it out, you will find from people( media) that have been in locker room and have relationship with players ,he doesnt carry much support. He is one of top 10 WRs in the league, yet 3 teams dumped him, you think that is because everybody likes him?

Here is an article that suggests reasons BM is gone.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0306-story.html

2 of the only 3 ppl on offense that matter going forward voiced their opinion. Long, Bennett, and Jeffery are the only players on offense/maybe the team, that will be playing in the top couple tiers of their positions in the NFL in a couple years when the Bears have a chance to be good.

Marshall's status as a top WR in the league should have bought him a year under the new regime. If Fox and Pace truly found him to be a problem player, they could have cut/traded him next year. They are going on hearsay and most likely pressure from the ownership.

The media bandwagon of running Marshall out of town started after his press conference in response to allegations being made about his time with the Dolphins in light of the Ray Rice scandal. Bernstien and Arkush went full steam ahead with it, and jumped at every chance and every incident to solidify their argument that Marshall must go. Other media jumped on this bandwagon as it picked up steam, and it lead to the media's stance that we see now.

I am sure ownership's view on him changed after the same event. Those same media sources were saying that in the GM search that it was a prerequisite of the new GM hire that Marshall would have to move on. After the hire, those reports were later recanted, as their was a backlash of ownership having their hand on the team personnel decisions. It was then changed to Pace would have final say on the complete roster.

Honestly, I think there are some players that do not like Marshall on the team. I do think it's greatly exaggerated how it's been reported in the media, and trumped up to being most the roster. I also think it is very likely that ownership made it very clear they wanted Marshall gone to Pace, and the move was in response to that.

I agree that publicly, it would be highly unlikely for players to speak out against Marshall after the trade. It's just not good for their careers. Long and Bennett did speak out, and being part of the core of the offense for the future, what they said matters to me.

I don't like the deal. That said I also don't know the plan. Giving away Marshall for a mere 5th Rd pick means we are clearly moving on in all aspects. I expect we'll give away Cutler and Forte too.

Knowing that just what can you do with $55 million dollars in Free Agency? Knowing that what is the plan at QB? Pace might have time but there is no way Fox, Fangio, and especially Gase came here to see their careers languish behind a QB who can't play. Gase for one has HC ambitions and almost got there this past offseason. Bridges with players like Forte, Cutler are already burned so we've shown our hand and we're all in. Revamping the team in the NFL always starts best with the most important piece and that's a QB. I don't believe these guys plan on having a top 10 pick for 2 or 3 years in a row hoping one of those years we get the right QB. Clausen only signed a 1yr deal so he is not the answer.

Mariota?

Could we trade Cutler to the Titans and swap picks in the 1st Rd and then draft Mariota? If that came to pass, along with $55mil in FA, we'd have a brand new team in just one offseason.

Whisenhunt went a long way with an emotionally battered QB in Kurt Warner. For those who say that Warner is a HoF player don't forget how his stint with the Rams and NY Giants ended. Don't forget how he struggled for several years in AZ to beat out Matt Leinert but eventually, 3 years later, winning a starting job. His record in the Superbowl season was just 9-7. Warner's INTs were usually among league leaders and there were plenty of arguments on the sidelines between Warner and then OC Todd Haley. All I'm saying is Whisenhunt managed to put that all together and make it work then later he traded for Kevin Kolb and lost his job. He might prefer the devil he knows best in Culter over an untested rookie QB. Nobody who saw Mettenberger play last year could think he's their long term answer and sitting at #2 is a rare opportunity. Whisenhunt still gets an elite defensive player at #7 something no team (like the Eagles) can offer late in the 1st Rd.

If not Mariota then who? I don't view Hundley or Petty as good options, I suppose I could be wrong. We've already seen Cassell traded so we passed on that option. There are no obvious FA answers and I can't think of another backup out there that would be worth prying away from someone.

Long and Bennett did speak out, and being part of the core of the offense for the future, what they said matters to me.

I think what they said matters to you because they're of the same opinion.

Look, you posted a long list of distractions he caused and dismissed each one. Hell, you may be right! But doesn't the shear length of the list telling us something?

Your comments about ownership meddling are pure conjecture. Do I believe he embarrassed the team and someone wanted him gone? Yes. But I'm guessing just like you. Our coaches and GM came to this decision and I still have faith in them.

His skills don't differentiate enough from Alshon. His salary and age are out of whack apparently to Pace.

When you add it all up, one of my favorite players these last few years didn't fit well going forward. It sucks but that's life in the NFL.

I think what they said matters to you because they're of the same opinion.

Look, you posted a long list of distractions he caused and dismissed each one. Hell, you may be right! But doesn't the shear length of the list telling us something?

Your comments about ownership meddling are pure conjecture. Do I believe he embarrassed the team and someone wanted him gone? Yes. But I'm guessing just like you. Our coaches and GM came to this decision and I still have faith in them.

His skills don't differentiate enough from Alshon. His salary and age are out of whack apparently to Pace.

When you add it all up, one of my favorite players these last few years didn't fit well going forward. It sucks but that's life in the NFL.

What Kyle Long said publicly regarding Marshall is what he should have said. What he said behind closed doors might be different. That doesn't mean they are mutually exclusive (i.e. he's lying about what he tweeted). While he respects a guy he might be wise enough to see that what he was doing did have a negative affect across the locker room. I love my kids but that doesn't mean I love everything they've done.

As for Martellus... he has his own drummer but again Marshall does have some good qualities and Bennett respects that about him. He may ignore or dismiss the other issues for whatever reason.

Something to consider on the compensation in the Marshall trade. When I was looking at the Forte projected compensatory pick value, I realized that the teams may have used that as a measuring stick. Marshall's salary for 2015 is $7.5 and his average remaining is $7.9, both would fall into the 4th/5th compensatory category (late 4th) which is only 6 picks before the Jets pick that we received.

2 of the only 3 ppl on offense that matter going forward voiced their opinion. Long, Bennett, and Jeffery are the only players on offense/maybe the team, that will be playing in the top couple tiers of their positions in the NFL in a couple years when the Bears have a chance to be good.

Marshall's status as a top WR in the league should have bought him a year under the new regime. If Fox and Pace truly found him to be a problem player, they could have cut/traded him next year. They are going on hearsay and most likely pressure from the ownership.

The media bandwagon of running Marshall out of town started after his press conference in response to allegations being made about his time with the Dolphins in light of the Ray Rice scandal. Bernstien and Arkush went full steam ahead with it, and jumped at every chance and every incident to solidify their argument that Marshall must go. Other media jumped on this bandwagon as it picked up steam, and it lead to the media's stance that we see now.

I am sure ownership's view on him changed after the same event. Those same media sources were saying that in the GM search that it was a prerequisite of the new GM hire that Marshall would have to move on. After the hire, those reports were later recanted, as their was a backlash of ownership having their hand on the team personnel decisions. It was then changed to Pace would have final say on the complete roster.

Honestly, I think there are some players that do not like Marshall on the team. I do think it's greatly exaggerated how it's been reported in the media, and trumped up to being most the roster. I also think it is very likely that ownership made it very clear they wanted Marshall gone to Pace, and the move was in response to that.

I agree that publicly, it would be highly unlikely for players to speak out against Marshall after the trade. It's just not good for their careers. Long and Bennett did speak out, and being part of the core of the offense for the future, what they said matters to me.

Hey I dont think the team for 2015 is better without him,but I think if the plan is to rebuild this team into a year in year out playoff contender, the new regime is looking to the future and am preparing for being good 2 to 3 years from now not next year. I dont think Pace and Fox read all the media crap about Marshall and made their decision to move on with out him, I think they did there own investigation and made there decision of what is best for the future of the team. Fact is they traded him, that should go along way on suggesting what is real and what isnt.

I didn't even think about this changing our 1st pick, but that would be crazy if we picked up a top flight WR at #7.

I think this could also provide Bears more leverage to get a deal to trade back from #7 for more picks as they will now have a potential legit need at wr.

Wow this thread is going all over the place. Names like Kreutz( he of the crack a teammates jaw at a shooting range) and Urlacher(the wedlock chidl maker) are being bandied about as leaders to straighten out Marshall and shut him up. Marshall and those two are the same in terms of demeanor the only difference is they both got take it or leave it offers and Marshall got traded. To be honest I was more upset when they traded Marty Booker for Adawale Ogunleye than I am now and actually I'm not upset at all. This is just a game I love to watch and not life or death.