Marshall trade to Jets

Guest TerraTor

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see Marshall once was a player coached by new OC Gase in Denver as his position coach. Could it be that he may not want to deal with Marshall? Yes Marshall is talented but his talent has never resulted in a playoff berth for any of the 3 teams that he has played for. Cutler at least has done that. Marshal has had 2 hip surgeries and broken ribs and though he is only turning 30 he takes a lot of hits and has taken quite a few since coming here.I've been watching this team for 50 years and if you think this is bad you should have watched them in the 60's when the old man was running things. Every time a new regime comes to any franchise they get rid of players that they don't want and bring in their own guys. Angelo did it and Emery did it as well. This doesn't surprise me.

Lets see Marshall once was a player coached by new OC Gase in Denver as his position coach. Could it be that he may not want to deal with Marshall? Yes Marshall is talented but his talent has never resulted in a playoff berth for any of the 3 teams that he has played for. Cutler at least has done that. Marshal has had 2 hip surgeries and broken ribs and though he is only turning 30 he takes a lot of hits and has taken quite a few since coming here.I've been watching this team for 50 years and if you think this is bad you should have watched them in the 60's when the old man was running things. Every time a new regime comes to any franchise they get rid of players that they don't want and bring in their own guys. Angelo did it and Emery did it as well. This doesn't surprise me.

Funny Emerys first big move was trading for BM and now Paces first big move is trading away BM.

Pretty irrelevant that the team hasn't lived up to expectations. In all those years I don't recall one positive thing he's had to say. You mean to tell me that in all that time the team hasn't done ANYTHING worthy of a thumbs up?

This is a fan's board and trolls aren't tolerated here. The only thing that separates him from being any other troll is that he claims to be a Bears fan although he hates the team and everything it does. It creates all this meta BS on the board that isn't worth a damn. For all I know he could be a Packer's fan in sheep's clothing, just here pretending so he can get a bunch of Bears fans pissed off.

I'll move on now because I started this with him today and I'm an idiot for taking the bait. I'll just block him like I used to and that'll be that.

Peace.

Thats the most relevant part... you don't know him nor do i and for that matter no one does... but to question his allegiance to his favorite team is ignorant... i don't feel that just cause he's fed up with the team that gi es you or anyone else the right to bash on him... this is a FORUM for OPINIONS... if you don't like his or mine or anyone elses for that matter hit ignore... i think he has a lot of character considering the constant harrassment he edures from everyone... he's better than me cause if I'm attacked personally i'm of the swing first and consider asking questions later type...

You got the Gase angle but there was something about BM and Cutty's relationship on twitter having soured in 2014 and that it may have not been repairable.

The Cutty BM stuff goes to the question How big of a locker room distraction was BM last year.

Yeah, Gase was the WR coach when Marshall was traded. I am sure he had some insight into the decision.

As a football coach, I can't see Fox wanted to get rid of talent over something that happened off the field when he wasn't there (knowing the environment that existed). However, it seems that the organization is willing to take a cap hit of over $5 mil to not have Marshall on the team. That says a lot.

Marshall really seems like a guy destined for a role in the media (reminds me of Tiki Barber). It would not shock me if he is out of football in 2-3 years.

Yeah, Gase was the WR coach when Marshall was traded. I am sure he had some insight into the decision.

As a football coach, I can't see Fox wanted to get rid of talent over something that happened off the field when he wasn't there (knowing the environment that existed). However, it seems that the organization is willing to take a cap hit of over $5 mil to not have Marshall on the team. That says a lot.

Marshall really seems like a guy destined for a role in the media (reminds me of Tiki Barber). It would not shock me if he is out of football in 2-3 years.

We will see. Bm said last year that he thought he could play until he was 40. 40 is crazy talk but 4 or 5 is doable.

Just turned 30? He turns 31 in 17 days. You think he can play at a high level until 36 or 37?

The age thing was my bad. I had 31 to start out with, then looked again and saw 30 and his bday this month. I think he will be good until he is atleast 34 or 35. That's why I said 5 or 6 years. I guess it's 4 or 5 years, as I was off on the age (31, 32, 33, 34 and/or 35.)

I think his style of play is more dependent on his size and savviness than speed. I think he is more talented than most all of the WR's you listed and style will let him do that. His numbers may suck because of right now Geno Smith is his QB, but I think he will have the ability to play at that high level.

I am no fan of this trade and I think it has alot to do with him not giving up his show.

I'm all for Cooper at pick 7 though. Or we can trade Forte and Cutty then back up the tank. Are there any franchise qbs coming out next year?

I didn't even think about this changing our 1st pick, but that would be crazy if we picked up a top flight WR at #7.

Yes Marshall is talented but his talent has never resulted in a playoff berth for any of the 3 teams that he has played for.

He's been stuck with Cutler as his QB every year, except when he played for a very poorly talented Dolphins team.

Edit: I forgot about the year with Orton, my bad

ESPN Bears beat reporter Jeff Dickerson swears that there were a lot of people in the building that really wanted Marshall gone and not just some of the players but staff members and office people. He seems very similar to Musin Mohhammed to me who also was cultivating his after football interests.

ESPN Bears beat reporter Jeff Dickerson swears that there were a lot of people in the building that really wanted Marshall gone and not just some of the players but staff members and office people. He seems very similar to Musin Mohhammed to me who also was cultivating his after football interests.

And Bernstein, who I dislike immensely, said the same things here.

The age thing was my bad. I had 31 to start out with, then looked again and saw 30 and his bday this month. I think he will be good until he is atleast 34 or 35. That's why I said 5 or 6 years. I guess it's 4 or 5 years, as I was off on the age (31, 32, 33, 34 and/or 35.)

I think his style of play is more dependent on his size and savviness than speed. I think he is more talented than most all of the WR's you listed and style will let him do that. His numbers may suck because of right now Geno Smith is his QB, but I think he will have the ability to play at that high level.

I wasn't trying to be an ass about the age, but one year is a pretty big deal after 30 in football. I agree that he is probably one of the top 5 WR's in the last decade and his production will be missed, but injuries have started to pile up and will eventually impact performance. His style of play makes me think he will be more susceptible to injury going forward (he rarely goes out of bounds and makes a lot of contested catches). Also, with his off the field interests growing, I can see him leaving the game sooner than later (like Barber).

Most beat writers in favor of the trade: http://sportsmockery.com/2015/03/brandon-m...ons-on-twitter/

I wasn't trying to be an ass about the age, but one year is a pretty big deal after 30 in football. I agree that he is probably one of the top 5 WR's in the last decade and his production will be missed, but injuries have started to pile up and will eventually impact performance. His style of play makes me think he will be more susceptible to injury going forward (he rarely goes out of bounds and makes a lot of contested catches). Also, with his off the field interests growing, I can see him leaving the game sooner than later (like Barber).

I didn't think you was. I caught that I said the wrong age right before you posted. I just never went back and changed it. And I wanted to clarify that I was talking about 34-35, not 36-37.

I think Tiki was around 30 when he retired, which is about normal for a RB. I could see Marshall wanting to pursue that too. I would too if I had to play for the Jets. I'm not sure Showtime is as a big jumping off point. I think it would have to be ESPN or others showing interest.

We don't know what happens behind the closed doors of the locker room. I read that the staff evaluated players and that none of Marshall's team mates lobbied for him to remain a Bear. That is the most damning sign of all. There is a new staff and system that comes along with it. Gotta get rid of the trouble so you can build your culture.

If all the off the field stuff we heard(And I'm sure there's more we haven't) is true then this tweet pretty much sums it up for me.

Jen Lada ‏@JenLada 30m30 minutes ago

New Bears brass is solidifying *structure. Removing liabilities. It is what any decent home inspector would order for long-term stability.

I'm cool with a 4th and a 5th. I said MAYBE they'd get a 3rd, but thought a 4th would be more likely.

Also, with AJ needing to be resigned, and I believe Fox talking about running the ball more, it'd almost be foolish to invest so heavily into the WR position.

I think they analyzed Marshalls valve and decided they didnt want him around because of the chaos. I have no problem with this, they have a plan and now lets see it played out.

Just turned 30? He turns 31 in 17 days. You think he can play at a high level until 36 or 37? Based on others, he could fall off anytime between now and 34. I figure he has 2 good years and 2 average years left.

G. Jennings - last good season at 28

L. Fitzgerald - last good season at 28

M. Colston - last good season at 30

R. White - last good season at 31

W. Welker - last good season at 31

S. Moss - last good season at 31

A. Johnson - last good season at 32

Wayne (1 good season after 32), Boldin (2 good seasons after 30), and S. Smith (3 good after 30) are the only 3 active players to have good seasons into their mid 30's.

I don't necessarily like this trade in a vacuum, but I have to see who we sign with the $3.9 and who we draft in the 5th.

Using 30 as the benchmark and going back a little on recent history of other productive receivers:

Jerry Rice: Turned 30 in 1992 and still played another 7 for SF before moving on to Oakland and Seattle. Had a "career year" in 1995 at age 33. Made the Pro Bowl in 93, 94, 95 and 96 (all after being 30)

Randy Moss: Turned 30 in 2007. The same year he signed with NE. We know how that ended up. Made the Pro bowl in 07 and 09

Tim Brown: Turned 30 in 1996. Made the Pro Bowl in 96, 97, 99 and 2001.

Obviously Brandon isn't exactly this caliber but darn it sure is hard to see him go, even at 30 or 31.

Oh no not more of those "anonymous sources" type of stories!!!! :blink:

Yep, just another gaping hole added to the Swiss cheese that is this team.

Actually the league knew we were going to cut him, so getting anything is a good thing.He was a very good player on the field, but part of the reason for failures last year are once things start going bad , you cant have one of your stars creating chaos. There is a reason teams getting rid of him. That is 3 now, if you every played team sports and you have a guy like him in the room, it creates a bad atmosphere to try to have a winning mentality on a team. He was part of all the bad of last year, plus he had his worst year last year, and is 31 years old. For all of you thinking we're playoff bound next year, this is a 2 to 3 year job to fix all the bad drafting and bad FA signings. Good people do it the right way and that is from the ground up. Look back at the fact we were only in the playoffs 4 times in the last 19 years and then maybe you realize how big a job this really is. There doing the right thing.

Oh no not more of those "anonymous sources" type of stories!!!! :blink:

The facts are, our new leaders thought he was a bad guy, and they talked to several of the players about him, and not one wanted him around. The fact he is gone is the proof of those things were true.

The facts are, our new leaders thought he was a bad guy, and they talked to several of the players about him, and not one wanted him around. The fact he is gone is the proof of those things were true.

Some people play chess and some people play checkers, the BM supports are quite obvious the checker players on this blog.