Ray McDonald signs w/Bears

madlithuanian

Moronic signing. This off-season makes no sense at all. The draft better make up for it. My confidence in Ryan Pace has gone down quite a bit since day 1. He's acting as if this team is better than they are when you look at these signings. A lot of veteran signings and 1 year deals.

The explanation behind the signing makes it even worse. Pace talked to his mom and dad? WHAT?? How does that make a difference? Of course they are going to protect their son. How about talk to the victim, or the police for that matter? Awful.

What about this signing makes no sense? What would you have done different? This seems to be the exact opposite of the approach Bears have taken past few years (which bit them in the butt). Goal isn't to win the offseason from a headline perspective, it is to make lots of good football moves, including ones that put your team in a position to improve, but also in a position to manage the cap. The thing I like about this signings are is there is very little downside and still plenty of upside. They also fill positions of need and none of the guys we are bringing in will prevent us from having a young player who steps in (which is where if we do things right, we should get back to focusing on the value related signings in FA vs. ever having to make the major splash moves, other than say filling a particular need when the time is right). Did you want him to just go spend like crazy.

If we add Wiz, the way I see it, we added quite a few players who are varying degrees of upgrades to our previous team, all while ensuring we can comfortable go BPA (knowing we at least have serviceable players who can fill various spots on the roster). A lot of holes still exist and I think everyone acknowledges that but the roster was extremely devoid of talent.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about this signing makes no sense? What would you have done different? This seems to be the exact opposite of the approach Bears have taken past few years (which bit them in the butt). Goal isn't to win the offseason from a headline perspective, it is to make lots of good football moves, including ones that put your team in a position to improve, but also in a position to manage the cap. The thing I like about this signings are is there is very little downside and still plenty of upside. They also fill positions of need and none of the guys we are bringing in will prevent us from having a young player who steps in (which is where if we do things right, we should get back to focusing on the value related signings in FA vs. ever having to make the major splash moves, other than say filling a particular need when the time is right). Did you want him to just go spend like crazy.

If we add Wiz, the way I see it, we added quite a few players who are varying degrees of upgrades to our previous team, all while ensuring we can comfortable go BPA (knowing we at least have serviceable players who can fill various spots on the roster). A lot of holes still exist and I think everyone acknowledges that but the roster was extremely devoid of talent.

I don't mind the low key profile in free agency. I've been on record saying that I prefer that model. My problem is with the additions they have made, specifically Rolle and McDonald. By the time the Bears are good again these guys aren't going to be here. Rolle at least doesn't have the off-the-field past like McDonald does, so I can at least try to rationalize that one. It's the hypocrisy of them getting rid of Marshall for being a distraction and then turning around to sign somebody who was cut by his own team for getting arrested 3 different times for domestic violence cases. That's B.S.

I don't mind the low key profile in free agency. I've been on record saying that I prefer that model. My problem is with the additions they have made, specifically Rolle and McDonald. By the time the Bears are good again these guys aren't going to be here. Rolle at least doesn't have the off-the-field past like McDonald does, so I can at least try to rationalize that one. It's the hypocrisy of them getting rid of Marshall for being a distraction and then turning around to sign somebody who was cut by his own team for getting arrested 3 different times for domestic violence cases. That's B.S.

First of all look up the facts of each incident before you react. 1 was a DUI, ! was a domestic abuse case that no charges were filed and 1 is a sexual asault case that no charges have been filed and he is suing his accuser. If you don't like the signing I'm fine with that but base it on the true facts not your own interpretation of the facts.

IMO the difference between Marshall and McDonald is Marshall was a distraction in the locker room. I've read that McDonald is a good teammate. If the guys in the locker room buy into McDonald and leave the the off the field stuff off the field it won't be a distraction. Fangio has been around McDonald the last 4 years and certainly had some input on the signing.

We all see everything on the surface and I dont believe they jumped into this blindly. I think they did there homework and made a decision. I know someone that was charged with sexual abuse with a minor. He is listed as a sex offender. He was 18 and she was 17 and the parents pressed the charges. They got married a year later, and have lived happily ever after. He carries his sex offender tag because of her parents not liking him. Dont think that was justified considering they were in love and got married. The point is we need to view the accusations and charges and decide what we believe to be true. I read the transcript from his last incident and it sounds like a drunk woman when to his home to party and ended up having sex with him. He said it was consensual and she couldnt remember anything. She spend the whole next day with him and then a few days later made the accusations. I think if someone raped me I wouldnt be spending the next day with them in a casual setting.

I prefer low key one year deals if any. The good thing about the McDonald signing is he does not count for compensation picks since he was cut. The Bears need to get to that state were FA is no longer an option. Keep your hands out and you'll eventually be awarded the picks.

I don't mind any of these signings. Rolle was brought in for his leadership which the locker room was completely devoid of last year. He also buys us another year or two to draft a replacement. Since we can't replace the entire roster in one offseason, we have to find some players that are upgrades and can bridge to the next draft. Sure these are not long term solutions, but they are definitely upgrades. McDonald is only 30, so he has a few good years left in him, so I wouldn't lump Rolle and McDonald into the same type of signing. Rolle was brought in for leadership and McDonald was brought in for his familiarity with the defense.

None of the signings outside of McPhee have been huge impact deals, but most of them have improved the roster, and that is all we can ask for at this point. McPhee, Royal, Rolle, Foster, McDonald, and Jenkins will all be at least minor upgrades at their positions. If we can add 1x more FA signing (Wisniewski please), a few other league minimum guys, and 3-4 more upgrades in the draft, then we will have turned over 12-15 roster spots in one offseason with potentially 8-9 starters.

TLDR: I like the plan

First of all look up the facts of each incident before you react. 1 was a DUI, ! was a domestic abuse case that no charges were filed and 1 is a sexual asault case that no charges have been filed and he is suing his accuser. If you don't like the signing I'm fine with that but base it on the true facts not your own interpretation of the facts.

Just because no charges were filed does not mean he's innocent. I doubt he's just been a victim of bad luck on two separate occasions, one with his fiance who apparently was seen with bruises on her arms and neck and the other being the girl he had sex with while she was drunk and impaired. The 49'ers obviously felt like there was enough there that they didn't want him to be apart of the team anymore.

There is no reason why the Bears needed to take this risk. He's not a difference maker and won't be on the team when they're good. He's not worth the risk. If he has one more miss-step, it would be a huge embarrassment for the Bears organization and especially the new GM.

That might be true. But there are thousands of women who never come forward because they know they're going to have their lives torn apart during the trial. So, it's tough man. I tried to be "fair and balanced" in my earlier post but you have to be really careful you don't end up with a serial abuser or rapist on the team. And I'd prefer to err on the side of the woman when there are multiple charges or claims. The Bears better know something we don't or they're going to end Pace's career a lot faster than anyone would like.

I'm well aware of the many issues in domestic violence. My daughter works with the D.A. in Chicago helping to prosecute domestic violence cases. You might be surprised to learn how often the Chicago Police refuse to help prosecute people for this despite overwhelming evidence. I agree about not wanting serial abuser on the roster, or in my household for that matter. I just think we need to trust the legal system and give these men their fair chance to defend themselves before we find them guilty in the court of public opinion. We're not even talking about McDonald being guilty. If the D.A. can't come up with enough evidence within 4 or 5 months to even bring charges then it is over unless the NFL can find evidence to the contrary as there was with Ray Rice. Evidence of a fight is pretty much there at the moment or it's not so it's not clear why it should take them so long to find it, and that is with an accuser who wants to bring charges.

Just because no charges were filed does not mean he's innocent. I doubt he's just been a victim of bad luck on two separate occasions, one with his fiance who apparently was seen with bruises on her arms and neck and the other being the girl he had sex with while she was drunk and impaired. The 49'ers obviously felt like there was enough there that they didn't want him to be apart of the team anymore.

There is no reason why the Bears needed to take this risk. He's not a difference maker and won't be on the team when they're good. He's not worth the risk. If he has one more miss-step, it would be a huge embarrassment for the Bears organization and especially the new GM.

Yet you are comfortable without knowing the facts first-hand to declare him guilty.

Yet you are comfortable without knowing the facts first-hand to declare him guilty.

Based on the information that is available, I certainly don't think he's free of guilt. He's been involved in 3 serious incidents off the field. He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Btw Greg Hardy's case was dropped earlier too. He must be innocent as well.

What about this signing makes no sense? What would you have done different? This seems to be the exact opposite of the approach Bears have taken past few years (which bit them in the butt). Goal isn't to win the offseason from a headline perspective, it is to make lots of good football moves, including ones that put your team in a position to improve, but also in a position to manage the cap.

Not to sound like a fan of Emery, but I disagree.

What players did he try to sign that was to win free agency? Players like Slauson and Young were cheap players that is part of the lots of good foot ball moves. While signings like Bennett and Bushrod filled major needs while being paid mid tiered for their positons.

He was left in cap hell from Angelo, and navigated it while adding players, and the Bears had their most cap space in years this year.

I think Emery's approach to the offseason was spot on, while his talent evaluation was piss poor.

Based on the information that is available, I certainly don't think he's free of guilt. He's been involved in 3 serious incidents off the field. He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Btw Greg Hardy's case was dropped earlier too. He must be innocent as well.

We can like or dislike the move, but they made it so, does that mean your not a Bear fan anymore? Every team in the league has thugs on the team. I would have not necessarily made the move, but my name is not on it, Pace stands by it. We will see how all of this turns out. If you liked BM, he had nine such charges. I think this move shows the regime thinks we are closer to playoff bound than I thought they were. That added Rolle for some leadership at age 32 and now this for a soon the be 31 year old . They simply lack 3-4 type players on the line, and this is a somewhat of a desperation move to fill needs. There mainly will be building through the draft, of which will take 2 to 3 years and this is a move to help now.

What players did he try to sign that was to win free agency? Players like Slauson and Young were cheap players that is part of the lots of good foot ball moves. While signings like Bennett and Bushrod filled major needs while being paid mid tiered for their positons.

He was left in cap hell from Angelo, and navigated it while adding players, and the Bears had their most cap space in years this year.

I think Emery's approach to the offseason was spot on, while his talent evaluation was piss poor.

I agree with the piss poor, but lunging at needs spent alot of money that was a mistake.I was very happy with last off season but as you see that is not the way to do. I thought this year would be different, one somewhat major signing and several mid level signings and the rest low vet type players. That is how they did it and I agree with that logic. Most teams over pay for talent in FA, we have some of those already this year but the time of Jared Allen sigining are done. I agreed with that then and a year later it looks bad. I trust in what they are doing now, and we will judge these moves next year and see how it all turned out.

Here's Hub's article on it....

Seems like this was really vetted out by the Bears all the way up the ladder to the very top. Either everyone's been duped, or there's not much fire around the smoke.

http://www.chicagofootball.com/2015/03/25/...igning/avtlujj/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_McDonald

https://twitter.com/aaronlemingnfl

I'm not a big fan of bringing in guys with a checkered recent past. But maybe Fangio knows something...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2...ation/24870353/

Here's an interesting text back and forth between Ray, the girl, and a cop that takes over texting for the girl (which doesn't seem right).

dbmp5em981qmkzx9yjkz.png

Here is where the cop takes over.

ncqc0itu0amiqf9eklmr.png

cpavblhd6xep4u5fdrxq.png

Assuming what's going on here is true, while perhaps not the gentlemanly thing to do, if a drunk girl was coming on to you, probably close to or over half the male population would have sex with the girl. If a woman comes on to you in an impaired state, while you yourself are impaired, is it rape? Serious question. If it is indeed rape then I've raped a few girls in my lifetime...

Also, not signing older players because the team wasn't good last year is just silly. We have a really good coaching staff right now. John Fox has turned shitty teams into good ones twice, and Pace was apart of a New Orleans team that went 3-10 one year and followed it up with a 10-6 season where they went to the NFC championship game.

I don't mind any of these signings. Rolle was brought in for his leadership which the locker room was completely devoid of last year. He also buys us another year or two to draft a replacement. Since we can't replace the entire roster in one offseason, we have to find some players that are upgrades and can bridge to the next draft. Sure these are not long term solutions, but they are definitely upgrades. McDonald is only 30, so he has a few good years left in him, so I wouldn't lump Rolle and McDonald into the same type of signing. Rolle was brought in for leadership and McDonald was brought in for his familiarity with the defense.

None of the signings outside of McPhee have been huge impact deals, but most of them have improved the roster, and that is all we can ask for at this point. McPhee, Royal, Rolle, Foster, McDonald, and Jenkins will all be at least minor upgrades at their positions. If we can add 1x more FA signing (Wisniewski please), a few other league minimum guys, and 3-4 more upgrades in the draft, then we will have turned over 12-15 roster spots in one offseason with potentially 8-9 starters.

TLDR: I like the plan

Agreed. I don't see what's wrong with making signings that improve the team in any way.

There is ZERO doubt that Rolle improves the team. Same goes for McDonald. Same for McPhee. Same for Royal.

Here's an interesting text back and forth between Ray, the girl, and a cop that takes over texting for the girl (which doesn't seem right).

dbmp5em981qmkzx9yjkz.png

Here is where the cop takes over.

ncqc0itu0amiqf9eklmr.png

cpavblhd6xep4u5fdrxq.png

Assuming what's going on here is true, while perhaps not the gentlemanly thing to do, if a drunk girl was coming on to you, probably close to or over half the male population would have sex with the girl. If a woman comes on to you in an impaired state, while you yourself are impaired, is it rape? Serious question. If it is indeed rape then I've raped a few girls in my lifetime...

Consider me guilty of multiple counts as well. This reeks of a payout, maybe even extortion.

We can like or dislike the move, but they made it so, does that mean your not a Bear fan anymore? Every team in the league has thugs on the team. I would have not necessarily made the move, but my name is not on it, Pace stands by it. We will see how all of this turns out. If you liked BM, he had nine such charges. I think this move shows the regime thinks we are closer to playoff bound than I thought they were. That added Rolle for some leadership at age 32 and now this for a soon the be 31 year old . They simply lack 3-4 type players on the line, and this is a somewhat of a desperation move to fill needs. There mainly will be building through the draft, of which will take 2 to 3 years and this is a move to help now.

I just can't get passed why it was so important to Ryan Pace that he felt compelled to put his ass on the line for THIS guy, somebody who at best is a slightly above average NFL player. It's not worth the bad PR and the trouble, IMO. It just makes me more angry that it comes in light of them cutting bait with Marshall. If you're going to trade a guy for being a distraction you can't turn around and sign this guy. You can't do it. It's a bad look.

I just can't get passed why it was so important to Ryan Pace that he felt compelled to put his ass on the line for THIS guy, somebody who at best is a slightly above average NFL player. It's not worth the bad PR and the trouble, IMO. It just makes me more angry that it comes in light of them cutting bait with Marshall. If you're going to trade a guy for being a distraction you can't turn around and sign this guy. You can't do it. It's a bad look.

Again Marshall, by all reports, was being a distraction in the locker room. It wasn't about his off the field stuff, it was about him rubbing guys the wrong way in the front office about how he handled himself in the locker room. I think it had little to do with his off the field stuff.

I know some people here don't buy into PFF ratings, but McDonald was ranked 12th of 48 3-4 DEs last year. He's also played the 3rd most snaps of any defensive player in Fangios defense the last 3 years only behind Justin Smith and Ahmad Brooks. He's been a big part of a top 5 defense the last few years. I'd say he's well above average.

I don't recall the Bears being in "cap" hell as a result of Angelo. Angelo had his own issues but our cap situation at the time was not one of them. Emery's value signings tended to be ST type guys who never even ended up being good ST players. That said, I was probably always the person most skeptical about Emery on this entire site (but remember...while I might have been right about that, I also was more pro Lovie / Angelo than most).

I know some people here don't buy into PFF ratings, but McDonald was ranked 12th of 48 3-4 DEs last year.

I think he's above average as well and his experience in the system, during this transitional time, is required. So getting him while he's "down" for a cheap one year deal is a good idea. (Assuming he isn't guilty, of course.)

I think he's above average as well and his experience in the system, during this transitional time, is required. So getting him while he's "down" for a cheap one year deal is a good idea. (Assuming he isn't guilty, of course.)

I don't know why this puts Pace in a trouble bubble. McDonald is on a one year prove it deal and I am sure there is clauses in it that he will be cut and pay back signing bonuses if he screws up. It would be no different if Carey gets busted again for DV.

I don't recall the Bears being in "cap" hell as a result of Angelo. Angelo had his own issues but our cap situation at the time was not one of them. Emery's value signings tended to be ST type guys who never even ended up being good ST players. That said, I was probably always the person most skeptical about Emery on this entire site (but remember...while I might have been right about that, I also was more pro Lovie / Angelo than most).

Truth about Angelo. HE sucked at picking players for the most part, but always seemed to be a shrewd financial manager.