Ray McDonald signs w/Bears

madlithuanian

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This one would be a little shocking to me. Doesn't seem to fit into the type of guys Fox and Pace have talked about.

But like you said Mad, Fangio knows him.

What would be interesting to see if he is brought in, does he start? He was a starter for Fangio the last few years.

Honestly, I don't care. When you look back years and years, you remember the rings. You barely remember or talk about what bad guys were on the team. I wish the Bears would have signed Hardy as well.

Also, if this and the Jenkins deal get done, that tells me the Bears are not going to pick DE at #7.

Honestly, I don't care. When you look back years and years, you remember the rings. You barely remember or talk about what bad guys were on the team. I wish the Bears would have signed Hardy as well.

Also, if this and the Jenkins deal get done, that tells me the Bears are not going to pick DE at #7.

I don't care either, but it would be interesting considering all the talk about character being important to them.

There aren't any DEs worthy of #7 anyway.

DL would still be somewhat thin if they really do like Houston as an OLB. Rat, Ego, Sutton, McDonald, and Jenkins. I'd still like to see one more big piece added to that group as I'm not sure Sutton fits and Jenkins could continue to be bad.

I don't care either, but it would be interesting considering all the talk about character being important to them.

There aren't any DEs worthy of #7 anyway.

DL would still be somewhat thin if they really do like Houston as an OLB. Rat, Ego, Sutton, McDonald, and Jenkins. I'd still like to see one more big piece added to that group as I'm not sure Sutton fits and Jenkins could continue to be bad.

I don't think you really take a DE @ #7 in a 3-4 defense. They just aren't the impact players on the defense like they are in a 4-3, imo.

I would assume, based on the article, that he's been able to "prove" his innocence to the Bears or this wouldn't be happening. If they're not 10000% sure on this, the deal better be a one year with no guaranteed money. If they're buying into his innocence, then I'd be OK with a longer deal.

But frankly guys, and yes he's deserving of his day in court and innocent until proven guilty, but I don't want anyone on the Bears who could've done these things. The only reason I'm not against this is the earlier call HE placed to 911 which suggests she might be a bit unhinged and he was defending himself. Who knows? You can't simply take one side or the other without knowing more than we do in that article. And him filing a countersuit to try to clear his name tells me something.

Has anyone confirmed this is a done deal? The press conference will be interesting because you've got to handle stuff like this perfectly or it goes off the rails real quick.

I did read where apparently there is video evidence that proofs Ray is innocent of the charges. I haven't followed the story much just heard the national coverage from a while back (during the season) but I would presume the Bears feel pretty good about that and will have a pretty strong response regarding those charges and why they were comfortable signing him. From a pure football perspective, I presume we are talking vet minimum and or close to it and he's a pretty solid fit on the line.

I did read where apparently there is video evidence that proofs Ray is innocent of the charges. I haven't followed the story much just heard the national coverage from a while back (during the season) but I would presume the Bears feel pretty good about that and will have a pretty strong response regarding those charges and why they were comfortable signing him. From a pure football perspective, I presume we are talking vet minimum and or close to it and he's a pretty solid fit on the line.

From a football perspective he's worth more than the vet min, but when you add in the off the field stuff I'd say yes, probably close to the vet min.

Is that for the 1st or 2nd accusation? Hope he isn't another Darren Sharper. I don't really like this signing personally. Hope I am wrong about his character.

Is that for the 1st or 2nd accusation? Hope he isn't another Darren Sharper. I don't really like this signing personally. Hope I am wrong about his character.

Absolutely amazing these days to see people go over the deep end on a mere accusation. When in our society did we decide to give someone so much power over someone else's life by merely making a statement, some of which turn out to be lies? Take it all the way back to the Duke lacrosse case where everything was all lies including a District Attorney who has since been disbarred. So I don't like Gooddell's practice of suspending players at first "accusation". Complete an investigation and find that Ray Rice punched his wife (after she hit him a few times by the way) and then you suspend him. Clear evidence of AP abusing his son? Fine, suspend him. These days there dozens of men falsely accused rape on college campuses and the universities do not even give them a trial, no hearing to defend themselves, and just kick them out of school.

Maybe there are a lot of people here who would like to be fired from their job, or kicked out of school, because someone walked into a police department and said they did x and x. I'm not one of them, I want a chance to defend myself in court. I'm also one of those crazy people that believes in 2nd chances in most situations.

I know nothing of Ray McDonald except this below. He's paid a heavy price for two events that have led to zero charges against him.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...an-ray-mcdonald

"McDonald was released by the San Francisco 49ers in December after law enforcement officials in San Jose, California, said he was under investigation on suspicion of sexual assault. McDonald hasn't been charged in that case, which remains open."

"McDonald also was implicated in a domestic abuse case involving his fiancee last August. It was announced on Nov. 10 that he would not face charges in that case. The 49ers stood by him at that time."

These days there dozens of men falsely accused rape on college campuses and the universities do not even give them a trial, no hearing to defend themselves, and just kick them out of school.

That might be true. But there are thousands of women who never come forward because they know they're going to have their lives torn apart during the trial. So, it's tough man. I tried to be "fair and balanced" in my earlier post but you have to be really careful you don't end up with a serial abuser or rapist on the team. And I'd prefer to err on the side of the woman when there are multiple charges or claims. The Bears better know something we don't or they're going to end Pace's career a lot faster than anyone would like.

Ryan Pace met with the Chicago media in Arizona and confirmed both signings.

I dont know anything about the McDonald incidents but I dont think we can all lump them in the same grouping. Marshall has had 9 domestic abuse charges and because he got himself labeled as a mental disorder, he is all accepted. I will read about it and form an opinion, but from a football standpoint , a good move. Morally, cant say yet.

That might be true. But there are thousands of women who never come forward because they know they're going to have their lives torn apart during the trial. So, it's tough man. I tried to be "fair and balanced" in my earlier post but you have to be really careful you don't end up with a serial abuser or rapist on the team. And I'd prefer to err on the side of the woman when there are multiple charges or claims. The Bears better know something we don't or they're going to end Pace's career a lot faster than anyone would like.

After Ray Rice, AP and Hardy got suspended for an entire year I think you will see the NFL players walking the straight and narrow from now on. Old Roger caught some heat and laid down the hammer this past year. Ray Rice may never play again, no one has signed him yet, maybe he will catch on but it doesnt look good.

McDonald was never charged. Im sure something happened but not as bad as one would think and thats why no charges were ever made. DA's want to make a name for themselves and would throw the book at him if they could. McDonald has had his two strikes so to say, if he screws up again I doubt he will ever get another shot.

If the guy even looks a line that shouldnt be crossed Im sure he will be on a short leash.

With the Bears roster having so many holes it forces the Bears to take a couple of chances here and there. This chance is being taken on a guy that Fangio worked closely with.

I would much rather the Bears take a chance on this guy being that Fangio knows him rather then a guy that no one has any first hand knowledge about.

If Fangio thought McDonald was an idiot and not worth a shot the Bears wouldn't be signing him.

Forgot to mention, I didnt see Pace making this move. So I am kind of shocked but understand it.

The Bears need 3-4 DE's badly. This guy can play the position and fill a need, opening the draft up even more.

BPA may be coming to the Bears sooner than later!! At least for the first round.

If Fangio thought McDonald was an idiot and not worth a shot the Bears wouldn't be signing him.

I'm more interested in Virginia's take on this than Vic's. I've got to believe that this type of signing gets blessed at the top and she's a known feminist. I can't believe they'd sign him if she didn't approve. And if she approved, it might mean they have enough data to suggest he's clean.

We'll see.

I'm more interested in Virginia's take on this than Vic's. I've got to believe that this type of signing gets blessed at the top and she's a known feminist. I can't believe they'd sign him if she didn't approve. And if she approved, it might mean they have enough data to suggest he's clean.

We'll see.

Very well could be clean, I wonder how pissed OLD VIRGINIA really is???Is she so pissed at watching the Bears suck that she would turn a blind eye to a questionable signing???

I bet you are right tho, they probably showed her the reports on him and his cases to show he wasnt guilty of anything.

I'm more interested in Virginia's take on this than Vic's. I've got to believe that this type of signing gets blessed at the top and she's a known feminist. I can't believe they'd sign him if she didn't approve. And if she approved, it might mean they have enough data to suggest he's clean. We'll see.

The had multiple meetings about him before contacting his agent to make sure ownership would be comfortable about this move.

Moronic signing. This off-season makes no sense at all. The draft better make up for it. My confidence in Ryan Pace has gone down quite a bit since day 1. He's acting as if this team is better than they are when you look at these signings. A lot of veteran signings and 1 year deals.

The explanation behind the signing makes it even worse. Pace talked to his mom and dad? WHAT?? How does that make a difference? Of course they are going to protect their son. How about talk to the victim, or the police for that matter? Awful.