La'el Collins goes undrafted

DABEARSDABOMB

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000049...le-for-16-draft

Question is, who will get him and who has the contacts to sell him on their franchise (as teams are extremely limited in what they can offer UDFA's). This of course is all pending the police investigation but if he is fully exonerated, I presume all 32 teams will be in an all out battle for a cheap, cost controlled last 1st round pick (from a value perspective). Clearly he'd be a fantastic fit on the Bears (and would probably start day 1 to be frank...he's better than Mills).

Under the parameters proposed, any team giving him a short deal with reasonable money would be the front runner. He wouldn't want to lock in for UDFA money for a long contract. But you'd get a bargain for one season.

All of this assumes he isn't guilty or otherwise tainted by the investigation.

Hub was on the score this morning and stated if Collins is cleared he will sue the NFL for the opportunity to get into the supplemental draft and believes he will win the case. If I'm Collins agent that would be my strategy to get my client paid and his best chance is the supplemental draft.

Under the parameters proposed, any team giving him a short deal with reasonable money would be the front runner. He wouldn't want to lock in for UDFA money for a long contract. But you'd get a bargain for one season.

All of this assumes he isn't guilty or otherwise tainted by the investigation.

I'm not positive on this, but I believe all UDFAs are locked into 3 year contracts. Can't do a one year deal.

Hub was on the score this morning and stated if Collins is cleared he will sue the NFL for the opportunity to get into the supplemental draft and believes he will win the case. If I'm Collins agent that would be my strategy to get my client paid and his best chance is the supplemental draft.

I haven't heard anything about this...isn't Hub typically full of shit lol?

If true, would you guys put a first round bid on him?.....For those that don't know, in the supplemental draft teams put bids on players with draft picks. You put a 1R pick on him thus year, you lose next years 1R pick.

I think I'd do it. I know a lot here are hoping for a 1R QB next year though.

I haven't heard anything about this...isn't Hub typically full of shit lol? If true, would you guys put a first round bid on him?.....For those that don't know, in the supplemental draft teams put bids on players with draft picks. You put a 1R pick on him thus year, you lose next years 1R pick. I think I'd do it. I know a lot here are hoping for a 1R QB next year though.

I wouldn't waste a 1st on him. You are talking about a RT/G NFL player. If we need a RT, I would place a 3rd RD pick on him at the most.

I wouldn't waste a 1st on him. You are talking about a RT/G NFL player. If we need a RT, I would place a 3rd RD pick on him at the most.

IMO he can stick at LT. I had him as my top OT in the draft. Not sure what next years class looks like.

I think some team would put a first round bid on him without a doubt. Esp. Good teams who hope to be drafting late next year.

Did I miss something? Didn't Collins decide to leave the draft so he could be present for the interview on Monday? And in the meantime threatened that if he wasn't drafted in the first three rounds he would pull himself out so he could try again next year? Now he's possibly going to sue the NFL "if he's cleared"? What does that mean "if he's cleared"? Last I heard he was only a person of interest. Presumably he's either very sure he's got nothing to worry about or it's false bravado. Something doesn't smell right. I'm sensing shades of Aaron Hernandez.

I haven't heard anything about this...isn't Hub typically full of shit lol?

If true, would you guys put a first round bid on him?.....For those that don't know, in the supplemental draft teams put bids on players with draft picks. You put a 1R pick on him thus year, you lose next years 1R pick.

I think I'd do it. I know a lot here are hoping for a 1R QB next year though.

No. Risk of us losing a top 10 or 15 pick, given our current roster, is far too great, to get a guy who was a mid to late 1st round tackle (in what was a relatively weak high end olinemen draft). I would do a 3rd no doubt and would probably do a 2nd as well (presuming I had a 1st round grade on him).

Ya I'm not really buying the lawsuit angle. The timing was just awful for Collins, and I feel bad for the guy if he's proven to have no connections.

I'm not sure what leverage he has in any kind of suit. The supplemental draft is for guys who kicked off their teams last year.

OK Hub the kid sues the NFL to get in the Supplemental Draft and do you believe a team would give up one of their draft picks for a guy that sued the league? He signed documents up the wazoo that clearly stated parameters of what the rules are in regards to the draft once you make yourself available to be picked. Regardless of talent this guy doesn't seem to bright.If we can't get him as a UDFA then I say pass. I just see a situation similar to that of a former top rated OT prospect Tony Washington out of Abilene Christian. He never saw the NFL and the same may be true for Collins.

OK Hub the kid sues the NFL to get in the Supplemental Draft and do you believe a team would give up one of their draft picks for a guy that sued the league? He signed documents up the wazoo that clearly stated parameters of what the rules are in regards to the draft once you make yourself available to be picked. Regardless of talent this guy doesn't seem to bright.If we can't get him as a UDFA then I say pass. I just see a situation similar to that of a former top rated OT prospect Tony Washington out of Abilene Christian. He never saw the NFL and the same may be true for Collins.

Collins is a good player and I guarantee, a good team with a late round pick(NE) would gladly give up a pick. It is there way of getting a mid first for a late round pick. We will have no chance of getting him.

I would say he would sign with NO if he stays a UDFA.Its his home.

This guy may have just missed out on millions over nothing. It's hard to blame the guy for wanting to do whatever he can to get the money he was set to get.

He was never even a suspect.

How you think this guy may never even see the NFL is beyond me.

Comparing a guy who may have done absolutely nothing wrong with a guy who was a registered sex offender is just outright silly.

The whole potential law suit is to be allowed into the supplemental draft since the nfl is telling him no. Again, I have no idea if he would win or even have a good case against the nfl.

He's a FA so there is zero need to be in the supplemental draft. Threatening a lawsuit continues to show his stupidity and arrogance. The agent that is advising him on these tactics should have been fired the day before the draft. When this news first broke I thought it was odd he'd leave the draft to simply "speak with police". We have phones and even exotic stuff like video chats these days. You can even do those phone calls under oath via video phone so no need to be present just to tell them what you know. If they really had to see him in person he could have flown out in the morning the day before the draft and flown back to Chicago that night and been at the draft. Better to say this was someone he had cared for deeply and with the emotional trauma of the situation he felt it was best to return home.

Then before he's even on the plane he states if he's not taken in the 1st Rd then he's going into next year's draft. Then he changes and he says that's only true if he's not taken in the 1st-3rd RDs. Then the NFL tells him that he'll be a FA and can sign anywhere anytime and, although I'm not sure about this, I presume he can get any amount of money he can negotiate, including a very simple 1yr prove it deal. Now he comes back stating he wants to sue to get in the supplemental draft.

This whole scenario is rotten and nothing Collins has done has made sense. If he's innocent he would have been painted by the media as a victim in this crime as this ex-girlfriend was reportedly pregnant with his child. It's impossible to have any idea what is going on with the lawyers but it seems very likely he was asked by the DA not to leave town or he'd have been back in Chicago on draft day.

I wouldn't touch this kid at all. If we want a 1st Rd RT with next years pick we can draft one with next years pick. In the meantime, let's focus on coaching up Tayo and getting him in shape because he has more than enough ability to take the RT job away from Mills. Fabuluje may never protect the edge as well as Collins but he'll pave the way in front of Forte far better than Collins.

I'm not positive on this, but I believe all UDFAs are locked into 3 year contracts. Can't do a one year deal.

Just wanted to bring that post back up and confirm this as it seems relevant to AZs post. Im to tired to address it all...

As a UDFA he'll get a 3year 1.5M dollar deal. I can't find a pay scale for the supplemental draft but I know Josh Gordon signed a 4 year 6M dollar contract as a supplemental draft pick.

Passed his poly and a paternity test showing that he wasn't the father of the child that died.

Wish this all happened a week earlier. Just awful timing.

Kinda sad in the context of how you phrased this. It's "too bad" that a guy was inconveniced by a double murder and had to be questioned about it. Not sure what relevance the paternity test has and that he took a polygraph by an independent investigator? How is it you phrase it again? meh?

Kinda sad in the context of how you phrased this. It's "too bad" that a guy was inconveniced by a double murder and had to be questioned about it. Not sure what relevance the paternity test has and that he took a polygraph by an independent investigator? How is it you phrase it again? meh?

Again all I'm saying is the timing was bad for him. I completely understand the process, and it certainly make sense to question the ex.

If questioning happened a week sooner he's looking at a multi million dollar contract. Instead he's set to make a tad bit under 1 mill over 2 years.

Again, just tough luck on the timing. That's all I'm saying.

Again all I'm saying is the timing was bad for him. I completely understand the process, and it certainly make sense to question the ex.

If questioning happened a week sooner he's looking at a multi million dollar contract. Instead he's set to make a tad bit under 1 mill over 2 years.

Again, just tough luck on the timing. That's all I'm saying.

But the fact remains he's still not cleared of wrongdoing. Money or no. THAT is irrelevant.

Signed with the Cowboys. Seems odd based on need, but whatever.

I bet Jerry Jones gave him the "We have proven with our support of Bryant and Hardy, and our draft, that we view each player on an individual basis, and get his side of the story before condemning him"-reasoning.

Great pick up for them. They have loudly displayed that they'd rather swing for the fences than try for average or slightly above average.