Bears vs Broncos Game Thread

adam

Hindsight now shows those 3 pts would have been a Bear W. I didn't consider that being aggresive, I thought it was playing russian roulette but with only one chamber empty. 2pts conv rate is 47% in the NFL, toss in a top 5 D and those odd get lower. Either way, they hung in there as I do not want to see a 2014 ever again. On the bright side, the draft slot improves.

If you are going to run a draw in that situation; you use your RB as a decoy and run Cutler.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hindsight now shows those 3 pts would have been a Bear W. I didn't consider that being aggresive, I thought it was playing russian roulette but with only one chamber empty. 2pts conv rate is 47% in the NFL, toss in a top 5 D and those odd get lower. Either way, they hung in there as I do not want to see a 2014 ever again. On the bright side, the draft slot improves.

If you are going to run a draw in that situation; you use your RB as a decoy and run Cutler.

Bennett keeps making mistakes.

I wonder if he is not worth keeping around.

On that 2-pt conversion, Cutler switched it from a pass to a run and Bennett didn't block Ward (who made uncontested tackle):

CUcvS0VUwAAKyPz.png

It looks like if Bennett makes that block, Langford makes it in.

Yeah the "play calling" was at fault. Before I go any further; Jason your commentary about how the team should continue to lose to get a better draft pick is pure unadulterated patheticness. I'm glad I never played on a team where you were a member. As Singletary would say "can't win with them!".

Not sure what everyone else saw but I saw a lot of mediocre from Jay. As has been the case a few times over the years 0, nada, zilch in red zone passing conversions. A key turnover late in the game; not the one where he lost the ball to the d-lineman but the one he threw direct to Trevathan. Sure Cutler is showing some signs of improvement but if you still think Cutler will ever lead the team to a playoff win let alone a Super Bowl, you're fooling yourself.

Why must you constantly be a moron?

I don't want them to lose. But it's probably better for the franchise in the long run because of the draft picks. Look no further than how the Cubs are being turned around for a good example of how a team is built. It takes some growing pains to accumulate young talent via the draft. It's not an apples to apples comparison, but the concept is the same, and it's true.

Nowhere you ever played is comparable bacause there wasn't a draft, there wasn't a constant team for more than at best four years, there was no franchise, and, honestly, did it matter who won or lost when you were sitting on the bench?

Yeah the "play calling" was at fault. Before I go any further; Jason your commentary about how the team should continue to lose to get a better draft pick is pure unadulterated patheticness. I'm glad I never played on a team where you were a member. As Singletary would say "can't win with them!".

Not sure what everyone else saw but I saw a lot of mediocre from Jay. As has been the case a few times over the years 0, nada, zilch in red zone passing conversions. A key turnover late in the game; not the one where he lost the ball to the d-lineman but the one he threw direct to Trevathan. Sure Cutler is showing some signs of improvement but if you still think Cutler will ever lead the team to a playoff win let alone a Super Bowl, you're fooling yourself.

Cutler is a completely different QB this year. His pocket management is night and day different from years past. He is under constant pressure and extends plays by moving around the pocket creating passing lanes. His decision making has been way better then years past. He still makes mistakes, but all QB's do, at the same time he still makes amazing throws. He still makes a lot of plays with his legs. I loved the play he ran for the big gain were the Broncos thought he was going to slide but he put his head down and kept running. He is out there fighting his ass off, visually we are seeing more leadership out of him on the sidelines. He is has done everything I would want out of him.

Spiegal on the score said a funny comment about Cutler, He is said Cutler has made chicken salad out of chicken crap.

You actually are very unlucky, Cutler has played so well that he will be around next year for sure. Im sure it sucks watching the Bears having to watch the most important position be a guy you hate so much.

Great comeback. Showed true grit. Showed fight. Showed Cutler is a MF'ing stud. Yes, I said it. Showed Langford has burst.

In the long run, however, the 2-pt conversion failure is better for this team in the future.

I'm proud of how the Bears fought today.

I get what you are saying as far as not winning.Especially with losses like yesterday, close should of could of wins that end up being losses. Im rooting my ass off for the Bears to win every game but looking big picture and long term losses means better draft picks. Pace's first draft looks pretty good so I will assume the next one will only be better. The Bears need talent everywhere and the higher the draft pick typically means the higher caliber of talent.

Even with the talent gap the Bears have they are very close. I dont think the Bears need as much as I thought before this year. Before this season I thought the Bears needed a major overhaul, I dont think that is the case. With the Bears cap space and Pace drafting I think the Bears can easily be playoff contenders next year.

I find it funny that the big knock on Fox as a HC in the past is that he is too conservative and yet when he tries to be aggressive (going for it on 4th down near the end zone) then he is criticized for not playing it safe.

Tough loss. I have no doubt in my mind that if Ashlon, Royal & Forte were suited up we win this one easy.

Completely agree. We went against the #1 defense in the league without our starting center and our preseason #1 / #2 / #3 wide receiver and we were a 2 point conversion away from sending it into overtime. Look at what Rodgers is dealing with right now. He is struggling with his poor line and wideouts and he is really only down his #1 wideout, let alone #2 and #3. I left this game, yet again, impressed. I really hope we somehow get a 2nd year of Gase / Cutler.

I agree on the under throws

I agree this wasn't Jay's best day, if this is "bad" Jay, then that is a really good thing. Cause he still moved us down late in the game and overcame a really bad pick on his part (the 2nd pick/fumble is what it is). I do agree he could have put some of those fades in a much better spot, but in most instances, he also was dealing with some pretty heavy pressure. To me, we shouldn't be surprised we can't execute in the redzone against the #1 D in the league with our top 3 wideouts out. We lack playmakers and playmakers are needed in the red zone.

I agree this wasn't Jay's best day, if this is "bad" Jay, then that is a really good thing. Cause he still moved us down late in the game and overcame a really bad pick on his part (the 2nd pick/fumble is what it is). I do agree he could have put some of those fades in a much better spot, but in most instances, he also was dealing with some pretty heavy pressure. To me, we shouldn't be surprised we can't execute in the redzone against the #1 D in the league with our top 3 wideouts out. We lack playmakers and playmakers are needed in the red zone.

Couldn't have said it better myself......... agreed 100000000000%

I don't want them to lose. But it's probably better for the franchise in the long run because of the draft picks. Look no further than how the Cubs are being turned around for a good example of how a team is built. It takes some growing pains to accumulate young talent via the draft. It's not an apples to apples comparison, but the concept is the same, and it's true.

Nowhere you ever played is comparable bacause there wasn't a draft, there wasn't a constant team for more than at best four years, there was no franchise, and, honestly, did it matter who won or lost when you were sitting on the bench?

Well since I was speaking 'metaphorically' I find it interesting you took it literal. And I take solace in that I don't need explain myself to a guy who once quit this site because he couldn't handle the pressure from other posters (only to come back at a later time because, I assume, you weren't getting the recognition you though necessary or are a glutton for punishment).

That being said, I want the team to compete every week and never ever hint at the prospect of 'throwing a game' just to up their chances in the draft. Several will agree that the draft is a crapshoot at best in most instances. However in seeing what Pace has been able to already do with the crop he brought in and some from the more recent management (Leno, SMC, Carey) I'm confident he'll be able to find the talent no matter the round or position on someone else's draft board.

Cutler is a completely different QB this year. His pocket management is night and day different from years past. He is under constant pressure and extends plays by moving around the pocket creating passing lanes. His decision making has been way better then years past. He still makes mistakes, but all QB's do, at the same time he still makes amazing throws. He still makes a lot of plays with his legs. I loved the play he ran for the big gain were the Broncos thought he was going to slide but he put his head down and kept running. He is out there fighting his ass off, visually we are seeing more leadership out of him on the sidelines. He is has done everything I would want out of him.

Spiegal on the score said a funny comment about Cutler, He is said Cutler has made chicken salad out of chicken crap.

You actually are very unlucky, Cutler has played so well that he will be around next year for sure. Im sure it sucks watching the Bears having to watch the most important position be a guy you hate so much.

Agreed, he has done much better than in the past. The fact you acknowledge that tells you me you recognize he's not been good, or at least 'franchise-worthy', for most of these last 10 years (or whatever he's been playing for). The one factor that seems to have made the difference? Gase? I'll pose you the same question, how 'lucky' will you feel if Gase leaves for a HC job elsewhere and Cutler reverts to his old ways?

The measure of "Jekyll-Hyde" has been lessened because of his improved play. Where he looked sharp in the St Louis game he looked lackluster in the Denver game. Yes he did some good things but did an equal amount of 'meh' plays where as others pointed out, his passing was just 'off'. (Minus the two turnovers).

Agreed, he has done much better than in the past. The fact you acknowledge that tells you me you recognize he's not been good, or at least 'franchise-worthy', for most of these last 10 years (or whatever he's been playing for). The one factor that seems to have made the difference? Gase? I'll pose you the same question, how 'lucky' will you feel if Gase leaves for a HC job elsewhere and Cutler reverts to his old ways?

The measure of "Jekyll-Hyde" has been lessened because of his improved play. Where he looked sharp in the St Louis game he looked lackluster in the Denver game. Yes he did some good things but did an equal amount of 'meh' plays where as others pointed out, his passing was just 'off'. (Minus the two turnovers).

I have been a backer of Cutler for a long, everyone knows that especially you. After last year I admitted that I was done backing him until he improved. He has improved. It still doesn't take away from my argument that Cutler was not helped in any manner by the Bears.

The funny thing is I have said with a good scheme (coaching), good oline play, decent weapons Cutler could win here. This year, oline is not good, most of the weapons are hurt and Cutler has still played well. The coaching is there although Gase was a little conservative yesterday.

The one INT was a WHY DID YOU THROW THAT BALL, this is one of the first head scratcher for me this season. The second fumble was a great play by a PRO BOWL OLB, one I would like to see signed by the Bears!

Note that I heard on the score today. Cutler was visibly upset with things on the sideline, at one point he threw the ipad they look at on the sidelines. A lot of people think he never shows emotion or that he doesn't care. He is showing emotion, and you can see that he does care.

The one INT was a WHY DID YOU THROW THAT BALL, this is one of the first head scratcher for me this season. The second fumble was a great play by a PRO BOWL OLB, one I would like to see signed by the Bears!

Note that I heard on the score today. Cutler was visibly upset with things on the sideline, at one point he threw the ipad they look at on the sidelines. A lot of people think he never shows emotion or that he doesn't care. He is showing emotion, and you can see that he does care.

I think technically that second turnover was ruled a fumble. But whatever you're right it was a good play by Miller.

And do recall why it was Cutler reacted the way he did in that situation (throwing the tablet)? That was right after the play where he missed Mariani wide open on the left side of the endzone where instead Cutler forced a throw towards double coverage. He could have even run in that instance for more a gain than the incompletion that he ended up throwing. It's times like this, especially in the red zone, where Cutler seems to get that tunnel vision and doesn't look to see what all his options are. Admittedly they are less but still happen from time to time and at key moments.

Edit: here's a link to a story about it. In the video clip take note who Cutler threw the tablet towards. Hopefully we don't see another week or two out because of it. http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-footb...n=chicago-bears

I think technically that second turnover was ruled a fumble. But whatever you're right it was a good play by Miller.

And do recall why it was Cutler reacted the way he did in that situation (throwing the tablet)? That was right after the play where he missed Mariani wide open on the left side of the endzone where instead Cutler forced a throw towards double coverage. He could have even run in that instance for more a gain than the incompletion that he ended up throwing. It's times like this, especially in the red zone, where Cutler seems to get that tunnel vision and doesn't look to see what all his options are. Admittedly they are less but still happen from time to time and at key moments.

Edit: here's a link to a story about it. In the video clip take note who Cutler threw the tablet towards. Hopefully we don't see another week or two out because of it. http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-footb...n=chicago-bears

I meant that the 2nd was not a INT but a fumble, we are on the same page there.

Cutler also missed a great match up of Ward and Bennett in the redzone on a 2nd down play. Ward had single coverage on the 6'6 Bennett on a wheel route. Cutler went to Langford with an incomplete pass. I sit in the southwest corner of the stadium and saw the play develop. A high lofted pass to Bennett could have easily been caught by Bennett.

QB's miss reads, miss throws every game, the trick is shaking it off and not letting it affect the rest of your play, Cutler has been good at it this year.

Know who else threw a tablet in frustration after seeing there was a wide open player in the end zone he missed? Aaron Rodgers. Shit happens. From what I remember it was a roll out to the right side. Mariani was all the way on the left side. It's rare you see a QB roll out to the right side then throw all the way across the field to the left.

Know who else threw a tablet in frustration after seeing there was a wide open player in the end zone he missed? Aaron Rodgers. Shit happens. From what I remember it was a roll out to the right side. Mariani was all the way on the left side. It's rare you see a QB roll out to the right side then throw all the way across the field to the left.

On a design play? He should have know what his 1,2,3 option are. He focused more on one... Which he does a lot. As I said, he could have even run and made better yarda which we all know he's very capable of doing.

IMHO, Rodgers was probably more disgusted at the careless INT he threw (Cutleresque) and not missing the open man. Although he said afterwards the reason was the missed open man. Which coincidently was made possible by a pick play, as Aikman pointed out. At any rate.... http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlig...blet-in-disgust

You are right in that he moved to the right. The pocket opened up to the right, Cutler stepped up and to the right at the same time Marianni came open going left. It wasnt a designed roll out, the play just developed to the right with the pass rush.

As far as locking on to option 1 Im not sure how you can tell who option 1 2 and 3 are and if he locked onto only 1 option. It looked to me like he was looking at multiple people through out the play but because he was flushed to the right he didnt see the wide open Marianni.

Well since I was speaking 'metaphorically' I find it interesting you took it literal. And I take solace in that I don't need explain myself to a guy who once quit this site because he couldn't handle the pressure from other posters (only to come back at a later time because, I assume, you weren't getting the recognition you though necessary or are a glutton for punishment).

That being said, I want the team to compete every week and never ever hint at the prospect of 'throwing a game' just to up their chances in the draft. Several will agree that the draft is a crapshoot at best in most instances. However in seeing what Pace has been able to already do with the crop he brought in and some from the more recent management (Leno, SMC, Carey) I'm confident he'll be able to find the talent no matter the round or position on someone else's draft board.

It wasn't because I couldn't handle the pressure. It was because I didn't want to debate finer points of football and the Bears, two things I love, with someone like you. You too often are completely ignorant on a point, and often post as if you aren't even a fan of the Bears. On a Bears website, it's really irritating.

As for the draft being a crapshoot, there have been numerous statistical analyses posted on this site from a variety of perspectives that prove the draft has advantages the higher a pick is made. Sure, a HOFer can be found in the 5th, or whatever, but statistically it has been proven that higher picks have a better chance of panning out.

On a design play? He should have know what his 1,2,3 option are. He focused more on one... Which he does a lot. As I said, he could have even run and made better yarda which we all know he's very capable of doing.

IMHO, Rodgers was probably more disgusted at the careless INT he threw (Cutleresque) and not missing the open man. Although he said afterwards the reason was the missed open man. Which coincidently was made possible by a pick play, as Aikman pointed out. At any rate.... http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlig...blet-in-disgust

Puhlease. If Cutler had rolled right and thrown left, and ANYTHING bad had happened, you would have watched the replay over and over again, mumbling, "I told you so...I told you so...I told you so," while booting up your computer with tears of joy streaming down your face.

It wasn't because I couldn't handle the pressure. It was because I didn't want to debate finer points of football and the Bears, two things I love, with someone like you. You too often are completely ignorant on a point, and often post as if you aren't even a fan of the Bears. On a Bears website, it's really irritating.

All of your points above are opinions. Just like in politics where both of us could be right we equally could in fact be wrong, depending on what the specific point being debated is and our party affiliation. I am of the opinion that Cutler has many faults and will not lead our team to a championship of any type. He's had many years to try and hasn't come close...while with our team... and you can't count (IMHO) 2010 as Hanie actually was the one that brought our team to the brink. You can make all the counter arguments to the contrary you want but until I see evidence of sustained and continued improvement, I'm not buying it. Is he working that way? Yes. Is he 'there' yet? No.

Just because you think what you think are the "finer points" of football and the Bears doesn't mean it's what applies to the rest of us (me). And the fact you can't take a counter point without being offended tells me you could care less what that opinion is. You believe what you believe and I believe what I believe. I've countered your "finer points" in the past with facts of which some you've dismissed simply because you chose not to accept them. And you know what? That's fine and that's your prerogative.

One thing I assure you is that I am a Bears fan through and through. Ask any of my family that still live in Northern Illinois, or the others that live in central Indiana, my wife, my kids, my co-workers from my Navy career and current, ask the guy I got in a fight with after Super Bowl XX because he insisted the Bears sucked and I assure you all of them will tell you how much a fan of the Bears I am.

Puhlease. If Cutler had rolled right and thrown left, and ANYTHING bad had happened, you would have watched the replay over and over again, mumbling, "I told you so...I told you so...I told you so," while booting up your computer with tears of joy streaming down your face.

And you call me "ignorant". :banghead