Bears at Texans Game Thread

adam

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither side of the ball looked good at all. Aside from the first 10 minutes of the game, the Bears got blown out against a mediocre Houston team with a below average-to-average QB who doesn't know what to do after his first read on offense.

If the defense can't get to quarterbacks and the Bears offense can't get anything out of Langford, they will be in the hunt for the #1 pick in the draft this year. I still believe they have the talent to be in playoff consideration, but it's going to be an uphill battle.

Neither side of the ball looked good at all. Aside from the first 10 minutes of the game, the Bears got blown out against a mediocre Houston team with a below average-to-average QB who doesn't know what to do after his first read on offense.

If the defense can't get to quarterbacks and the Bears offense can't get anything out of Langford, they will be in the hunt for the #1 pick in the draft this year. I still believe they have the talent to be in playoff consideration, but it's going to be an uphill battle.

The third best D in the league last year came to play in the second half, and once they took the lead, they unloaded on them.

Jay took an absolute beating this game and continued to bounce back up. That online didn't look good at all especially on stunts

Continuity is key with OL. Leno is the only one who played the same position last year. This pool of linemen are the best I've seen in a Bears uniform in a long time. They will need time to gel.

Continuity is key with OL. Leno is the only one who played the same position last year. This pool of linemen are the best I've seen in a Bears uniform in a long time. They will need time to gel.

Also, Cutler did a poor job helping them in the 2nd half. Holding the ball too long, pocket awareness and recognition was lacking.

Just my observations

The Good:

Freeman, Jones-Quartey

they played well and were around the ball all game

1st half i thought we played really well. Pass protection was great, AJ was involved, we ran the ball a little bit

The Bad:

Floyd

I expect more from a 1st rd pick. Seems too light for what we need. Had a sack but was expecting more. Just an observation but his pads seem really small

The Ugly:

Massie, White

Massie continued to get beat. White looks really unprepared and lost in the offense

2nd half was terrible...almost night and day from the 1st half

Just my observations

The Good:

Freeman, Jones-Quartey

they played well and were around the ball all game

1st half i thought we played really well. Pass protection was great, AJ was involved, we ran the ball a little bit

The Bad:

Floyd

I expect more from a 1st rd pick. Seems too light for what we need. Had a sack but was expecting more. Just an observation but his pads seem really small

The Ugly:

Massie, White

Massie continued to get beat. White looks really unprepared and lost in the offense

2nd half was terrible...almost night and day from the 1st half

i think you can add to the bad whoever is in charge of the replay booth for chicago. for whatever reason this happens year after year no matter who the coaches are. they throw flags on stupidly obvious calls and do nothing on calls that really could be overturned. the guys in the booth today should have been dragged out and thrown off the upper deck.

the stupid NON CALL cost us 4 points. it was 3rd down and 1 near our 30. the running back was tackled for a LOSS and the refs give them a first down. it was so obvious even the announcers commented on it. i kept waiting for fox to throw the flag and nothing. it was a major mistake and could have cost us the game.

the second STUPID call was throwing the flag on that sideline reception. what in the h e double l are these morons looking at? it was clearly obvious it was a catch. this cost us a critical timeout for absolutely nothing.

just what are these guys looking at?

The Bears also HAVE to start throwing the ball down the field more. If you're not getting anything on the ground, you have to soften up the defense somehow. Alshon was murdering the Texans secondary early in the game for easy yards, yet the Bears never went back to it in the 2nd half. It didn't make any sense. Then, Kevin White, the guy who's supposed to be really fast, didn't get a single opportunity on a deep route the entire game. WTF? How many throws beyond 10-15 yards did Cutler make the entire game? It didn't seem like a lot.

The sad truth is that even if Cutler were picked off throwing bombs to either of those two, it's almost better than watching Pat O'Donell try and punt it there.

he needs to step up in the pocket, the Ots are getting killed , there is space up front.

You're absolutely right. He would start out in the shotgun and not move. Earlier this week when I was watching the Carolina / Denver rematch they were commenting on how in last years SB one big reason why Cam was getting mauled by Von Miller and Co. was due in large part to how he started several yards behind the line. Then when Miller and Ware would come around the outside of the pocket Cam would rarely move. In the game the other night he was standing about 3-5 yards shallower and it was making a bigger difference.

When watching Cutler today, especially towards the later part of the game I was seeing the same thing. Granted there were a few times he got rushed from the middle and shallow side but it seems a fair number of the sacks today came from the top end of the pocket. Jays never really been a great pocket passer. In fact I had thought the whole idea of getting younger and lighter on the Oline (ergo loss of Slausen) was to start more zone blocking? I didn't see any of that. No rollouts... Nada. We all know Cutler is better on roll outs when he's able. Why not more of that?