Is WR now a position of potential strength?

jason

First of all, the Bears staff knows more about the health of Kevin White than anyone else. So I'll hope for now he's healthy. If so, the Bears suddenly have turned a position of question into a position of perceived strength.

-White (6'3", 216lbs) will be presumably be the split end (X). He's big enough and fast enough to shake off press coverage from the line. He's also the most athletic, and the guy who likely gets the one on one ball when Glennon is under fire.

-Wright (5'10, 191lbs) seems perfectly suited for the slot (Y). When he was under Loggains in TN, he worked slot and put up 94 catches for over 1000 yards. That likely gives him the leg up in the slot position.

-Meredith (6'3", 207lbs) had production last year that can't be ignored. He'll likely play the flanker (Z) role, getting in motion off the line, attempting to work various routes with his 4.42 speed and good change of direction.

That leaves Wheaton (5'11, 189lbs) as the viable starter, but odd man out in my opinion. He mostly worked slot with Pittsburgh, but I can't see him beating out Wright because of the previous production and familiarity with Loggains. Wheaton could potentially also fill in at the Z, but Meredith likely has the initial starting nod.

All that said, I think the Bears have a very solid group of WRs providing there are not a rash of injuries.

No, because you have zero proven commodities:

- White has 19 receptions in two years in the league and have never caught a touchdown.

- Meredith is a second year undrafted free agent who needs to step up.

- Wright is three years removed from a productive season, which looks more like an aberration than the norm.

- Wheaton is coming off a year when he was injured all year and looks like just a slot option.

- Randle is a complete enigma.

- Bellamy is the classic guy who is OK to have at the end of your bench, but you always want to upgrade.

I still think you have a target a big outside receiver in the draft early to push those other guys and/or guard against injury.

First of all, the Bears staff knows more about the health of Kevin White than anyone else. So I'll hope for now he's healthy. If so, the Bears suddenly have turned a position of question into a position of perceived strength.

-White (6'3", 216lbs) will be presumably be the split end (X). He's big enough and fast enough to shake off press coverage from the line. He's also the most athletic, and the guy who likely gets the one on one ball when Glennon is under fire.

-Wright (5'10, 191lbs) seems perfectly suited for the slot (Y). When he was under Loggains in TN, he worked slot and put up 94 catches for over 1000 yards. That likely gives him the leg up in the slot position.

-Meredith (6'3", 207lbs) had production last year that can't be ignored. He'll likely play the flanker (Z) role, getting in motion off the line, attempting to work various routes with his 4.42 speed and good change of direction.

That leaves Wheaton (5'11, 189lbs) as the viable starter, but odd man out in my opinion. He mostly worked slot with Pittsburgh, but I can't see him beating out Wright because of the previous production and familiarity with Loggains. Wheaton could potentially also fill in at the Z, but Meredith likely has the initial starting nod.

All that said, I think the Bears have a very solid group of WRs providing there are not a rash of injuries.

No. White hasn't played in basically two seasons and even when he has, he hasn't busted out a bunch of 100+ yard games. Wright is a good slot guy and Meredith is a guy who flashed. I'd say right now, Meredith is our best receiver and that means we currently have the worst wide receiving core (or one of the worst) in the league. When you combine it with our #1 TE who has basically had one healthy season in like 10, I'd say as a whole, our receiving talent is extremely sub-par. Could White turn into a stud and Meredith as well...sure...anything is possible...but at this point in the season, I'd say we have one of the weakest receiving corps in the league. I can't even fathom how we sat on the sideline and ignored the cheap deals Alshon/Pryor got.

No, because you have zero proven commodities:

- White has 19 receptions in two years in the league and have never caught a touchdown.

- Meredith is a second year undrafted free agent who needs to step up.

- Wright is three years removed from a productive season, which looks more like an aberration than the norm.

- Wheaton is coming off a year when he was injured all year and looks like just a slot option.

- Randle is a complete enigma.

- Bellamy is the classic guy who is OK to have at the end of your bench, but you always want to upgrade.

I still think you have a target a big outside receiver in the draft early to push those other guys and/or guard against injury.

You said it so much more succinctly then my last post.

No. White hasn't played in basically two seasons and even when he has, he hasn't busted out a bunch of 100+ yard games. Wright is a good slot guy and Meredith is a guy who flashed. I'd say right now, Meredith is our best receiver and that means we currently have the worst wide receiving core (or one of the worst) in the league. When you combine it with our #1 TE who has basically had one healthy season in like 10, I'd say as a whole, our receiving talent is extremely sub-par. Could White turn into a stud and Meredith as well...sure...anything is possible...but at this point in the season, I'd say we have one of the weakest receiving corps in the league. I can't even fathom how we sat on the sideline and ignored the cheap deals Alshon/Pryor got.

I'll agree with you on Pryor but Alshon did not want to play here. It was evident from the day they let Marshall go. The only way to keep him was to tag him or sign him to the deal he wanted (that no one was evidently offering).

Peace :dabears

I'll agree with you on Pryor but Alshon did not want to play here. It was evident from the day they let Marshall go. The only way to keep him was to tag him or sign him to the deal he wanted (that no one was evidently offering).

Peace :dabears

Agree 100%.

I'm not normally an optimist with the Bears - been a fan too long - but for some reason I see good things in the future for this WR group.

This WR group has no one currently that scares opponents, so in my mind a wildcard pick at 3 would be Mike Williams but, I'm not on board with that! I do think that if we are patient as fans and a franchise, we are going to have a relatively young team that might mirror the 84 team!

Agreed 100%. I'll add that last year we entered the season with what we thought was a legit #1 (Alshon) an absolute stud #2 who was healthy and ready (White) and an extremely productive #3 in Eddie Royal. Two are gone and White is injury prone. Not to mention we probably are worse at QB.

Now our WR group reminds me of something the LA Rams put together every year. Castoffs and disappointments.

Agreed 100%. I'll add that last year we entered the season with what we thought was a legit #1 (Alshon) an absolute stud #2 who was healthy and ready (White) and an extremely productive #3 in Eddie Royal. Two are gone and White is injury prone. Not to mention we probably are worse at QB.

Now our WR group reminds me of something the LA Rams put together every year. Castoffs and disappointments.

Yep, cannot feel good about this group until they produce.

I agree with no WR in rds 1 or 2, but if Schuster or Z Jones is there rd3 then you have to consider it. Pace is supposedly a BPA GM.

The key is how White turns out, if he takes off, he is our #1 and everything falls in place.

Health is always the equalizer.

Another part of that combination is if Glennon is at least a 13-16 ranked QB type.

For him to be successful our OLine needs to play well.

On the positive: the Oline plays well

Glennon does 3800 yards-26 TDs and 12 int.

White becomes a #1 then Meredith is our possession receiver and Wheaton or speed component. Wright is successful at the slot and Sims steps up-Miller stays healthy.

If you look at it that way could be pretty surprisingly good.

Many things have to happen but I think its looking up. I think we add a WR in the draft and another TE.

I think Brown ends up being a productive TE as Miller fades into the sunset.

When you consider that last year's roster competition included:

1) Alshon Jeffrey often injured

2) Kevin White returning from surgery

3) Eddie Royal often injured

4) Marc Mariani often unemployed

5) Josh Bellamy often on practice squad

6) Cam Meredith former college QB learning a new position

7) Marquess Wilson returning from IR

to now.

1) Kevin White returning from surgery

2) Cam Meredith played two full seasons with 120yds, and 888yds

3) Markus Wheaton who has played at least three full seasons, two with 644yds, and 749yds

4) Kendall Wright who has produced far more than Wilson but has tailed off lately. Seems there are questions on his work ethic.

5) Rueben Randle who has had three seasons with 611, 938, and 797 yds

6) Bellamy

7) Braverman

Remove Kevin White from the discussion because in both years he's the same question mark.

In 2016 our bottom 5 WR competing for a roster spot were almost completely unproven or always injured (Royal)

In 2017 we are far better situated with proven experience in slots 2-5 than last year. There is a bigger question mark at the top #1 position without Jeffrey. He was a question mark himself most weeks. We don't yet know who among this group will step up but with more players who have played well in the past the odds of success are far better from the 2017 roster. Add a high draft pick to the group and we should definitely be able to field 3 good WRs, if not 4 among this group.

In the 2nd list, you ignored the fact that Wheaton missed Most of last year due to injury, the Bears had the chance to sign Randle in December and didn't, because of his injury, while Wright missed 5 games in 2016 and 6 in 2015. Josh Bellamy is a special teams guy and Braverman looked real bad last year.

As an ISU grad, I love Cam Meredith. But at best he's a solid #2.

I'll feel much better if we can land Cordelle Patterson.

When you consider that last year's roster competition included:

1) Alshon Jeffrey often injured

2) Kevin White returning from surgery

3) Eddie Royal often injured

4) Marc Mariani often unemployed

5) Josh Bellamy often on practice squad

6) Cam Meredith former college QB learning a new position

7) Marquess Wilson returning from IR

to now.

1) Kevin White returning from surgery

2) Cam Meredith played two full seasons with 120yds, and 888yds

3) Markus Wheaton who has played at least three full seasons, two with 644yds, and 749yds

4) Kendall Wright who has produced far more than Wilson but has tailed off lately. Seems there are questions on his work ethic.

5) Rueben Randle who has had three seasons with 611, 938, and 797 yds

6) Bellamy

7) Braverman

Remove Kevin White from the discussion because in both years he's the same question mark.

In 2016 our bottom 5 WR competing for a roster spot were almost completely unproven or always injured (Royal)

In 2017 we are far better situated with proven experience in slots 2-5 than last year. There is a bigger question mark at the top #1 position without Jeffrey. He was a question mark himself most weeks. We don't yet know who among this group will step up but with more players who have played well in the past the odds of success are far better from the 2017 roster. Add a high draft pick to the group and we should definitely be able to field 3 good WRs, if not 4 among this group.

In the 2nd list, you ignored the fact that Wheaton missed Most of last year due to injury, the Bears had the chance to sign Randle in December and didn't, because of his injury, while Wright missed 5 games in 2016 and 6 in 2015. Josh Bellamy is a special teams guy and Braverman looked real bad last year.

As an ISU grad, I love Cam Meredith. But at best he's a solid #2.

I'll feel much better if we can land Cordelle Patterson.

On Wheaton: I don't know the numbers I'd say it's very rare for any player in the NFL to go 5 years without missing significant time in one season. Is Kyle Long injury prone?

I wasn't sure on Wright but yes he's had a couple seasons where he was banged up. That may also be related to his work ethic issues like Jeffrey's situation. I'm less optimistic Wright will be a big contributor than others are but if he's our 5th WR this year versus Marquis Wilson last year I think that's an upgrade.

Nothing wrong if Meredith becomes a solid #2, that's tremendous value for a UDFA. He showed enough last that at this point we can at least feel confident with him as our #3 WR. I think he and Wheaton can do well working one side of the field as both can work inside from the slot or outside.

------

Why do you think Patterson will help when he's never been that successful as a WR? Without Wright in the mix I could see us going that route. Then again, Patterson wants guarantees he'll play as a WR but with Fox and Pace you have to compete and best players get on the field.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000077...lents-elsewhere

"Of course, man. Two years I spent damn near on the sideline. That's never a good feeling for any player. No player wants to go through that," he said. "I need to know if I'm going to play or not. If not, I'll take my talents elsewhere."

Yeah, I'm not sure how you can knock Meredith, Wheaton, and Wright while also want Patterson. As receivers, ill take all 3 of our guys over him.

I think some people get too wrapped up in names. Patterson is a household name while Meredith is an UDFA. That means diddly to me. Meredith went out there in his 2nd season as a WR after being a college QB and dropped 888 yards. There is really no reason why he can't continue to develop as a WR, and I wouldn't be shocked one bit if he has over 1000 yards next year.

Yeah, I'm not sure how you can knock Meredith, Wheaton, and Wright while also want Patterson. As receivers, ill take all 3 of our guys over him.

I think some people get too wrapped up in names. Patterson is a household name while Meredith is an UDFA. That means diddly to me. Meredith went out there in his 2nd season as a WR after being a college QB and dropped 888 yards. There is really no reason why he can't continue to develop as a WR, and I wouldn't be shocked one bit if he has over 1000 yards next year.

Agreed about Meredith and Patterson! He is Devin Hester with less stats on kick returns imo. I like the idea of adding a Zay Jones or Evan Engram by round 3.

Agreed about Meredith and Patterson! He is Devin Hester with less stats on kick returns imo. I like the idea of adding a Zay Jones or Evan Engram by round 3.

I'm on board for Engram, but I really have no desire to draft a WR in the first 4 rounds.

I wanna see what the World Wide Web can do. That's right, I just named White, Wheaton, and Wright the World Wide Web.

Not sure if it has come up but looks as though Patterson signed on with the Raiders for one year $7 million(?)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/...elle-patterson/

To summarize our top 5 WR's:

Kevin White: Still here. Still hurt. Still unproven.

We replace Alshon with Merideth: that's a downgrade

Wheaton replaces Royal: Royal has had better seasons. Both deep threats. Both injured.

Wright replaces Mariani: both former TN WR's who ain't done much in a long time

Bellamy: Please keep him on special teams. No passes. Not even hands team.

I expect Randle to get cut. I expect Braverman to play only when we are desperate.

With Patterson, I should have added I was mainly excited about his return ability but he does add much needed depth to a real bad group. At least with Alshon, we had a legit #1. With this group--I don't know if we have a legit #2.

On Wheaton: I don't know the numbers I'd say it's very rare for any player in the NFL to go 5 years without missing significant time in one season. Is Kyle Long injury prone?

I wasn't sure on Wright but yes he's had a couple seasons where he was banged up. That may also be related to his work ethic issues like Jeffrey's situation. I'm less optimistic Wright will be a big contributor than others are but if he's our 5th WR this year versus Marquis Wilson last year I think that's an upgrade.

Nothing wrong if Meredith becomes a solid #2, that's tremendous value for a UDFA. He showed enough last that at this point we can at least feel confident with him as our #3 WR. I think he and Wheaton can do well working one side of the field as both can work inside from the slot or outside.

------

Why do you think Patterson will help when he's never been that successful as a WR? Without Wright in the mix I could see us going that route. Then again, Patterson wants guarantees he'll play as a WR but with Fox and Pace you have to compete and best players get on the field.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000077...lents-elsewhere

"Of course, man. Two years I spent damn near on the sideline. That's never a good feeling for any player. No player wants to go through that," he said. "I need to know if I'm going to play or not. If not, I'll take my talents elsewhere."

To summarize our top 5 WR's:

Kevin White: Still here. Still hurt. Still unproven.

We replace Alshon with Merideth: that's a downgrade

Wheaton replaces Royal: Royal has had better seasons. Both deep threats. Both injured.

Wright replaces Mariani: both former TN WR's who ain't done much in a long time

Bellamy: Please keep him on special teams. No passes. Not even hands team.

I expect Randle to get cut. I expect Braverman to play only when we are desperate.

With Patterson, I should have added I was mainly excited about his return ability but he does add much needed depth to a real bad group. At least with Alshon, we had a legit #1. With this group--I don't know if we have a legit #2.

That's a glass half empty way to look at it.

It's no doubt a boom or bust group.

You outlined the bust scenario.

Kevin White will be healthy to start the year I believe. I know he's been hurt his first 2 years, but that doesn't mean its a foregone conclusion he will get hurt again.

Alshon to Meredith is a downgrade, but I still don't get why he doesn't get more love here or anywhere really. Outside of injury I see no reason why he can't be a very solid #2 and maybe even a fringe #1 if he continues to develop.

Wheaton was a hot pick to be last years breakout star, he just so happened to get injured. I see no reason why he can't still be that guy to breakout.

Wright had success with Loggains. I'm not as high on him as the others, but maybe Dowel just knows how to use him.

Again, boom or bust.

Here's why:

Wheaton--was picked to be a breakout star opposite the leagues best WR Antonio Brown. Arguably the league's best RB, Le'Veon Bell, and a Super Bowl QB in Big Ben. Replace that with Cam Meredith, Jordan Howard, an Mike Glennon. Yikes.

Wright--his only good year was 2013. How does he not produce on those god-awful teams from 2014-2016?

Meredith--experts view him at best as a #2 WR.

It's a bad WR group.

That's a glass half empty way to look at it.

It's no doubt a boom or bust group.

You outlined the bust scenario.

Kevin White will be healthy to start the year I believe. I know he's been hurt his first 2 years, but that doesn't mean its a foregone conclusion he will get hurt again.

Alshon to Meredith is a downgrade, but I still don't get why he doesn't get more love here or anywhere really. Outside of injury I see no reason why he can't be a very solid #2 and maybe even a fringe #1 if he continues to develop.

Wheaton was a hot pick to be last years breakout star, he just so happened to get injured. I see no reason why he can't still be that guy to breakout.

Wright had success with Loggains. I'm not as high on him as the others, but maybe Dowel just knows how to use him.

Again, boom or bust.

So you're saying you can be a star just because of the talent around you? I mean, you still have to run routes against an NFL cornerback.

Who are these experts? I haven't heard anyone talk about my boy Cam. Just wait and see, I predict 1000 yards for Mr. Meredith.

I'm not THAT high on Wright, but there has got to be some talent there to put up 1000 yards even once.