Narrowing down the #3 pick in the draft

jason

Assuming the Bears don't trade down ( :pray ), the recent FA pickups seem to have gleaned some light on the situation. Right now only a few possible positions make sense (in no particular order):

1. QB

2. DE

3. S

4. CB

Quarterback

With Glennon on board for the amount of money he got, there is no way the Bears spend a #3 pick a QB to ride the pine. Similarly, they wouldn't have paid Glennon that much, even if it does amount to a one year contract, to sit behind a rookie, first-rounder.

Cornerback

The money they just shelled out for Cooper and Amukamara means there is no way they are going for a CB with the forth pick. The contract given to Cooper indicates they believe he is a future starter, if not star.

So that leaves S & DE, which most of us figured before. They picked up Demps in FA, but I don't think that's enough to make the position strong by any means. Demps is not a deal-sealing safety that immediately created confidence in Bear fandom. But they did absolutely nothing in FA for DE, which means 1 of 2 things:

1. They are drafting DE because Garrett and/or Allen is likely going to be there.

2. They believe in Bullard enough that DE isn't a concern.

Based on the fact that Bullard couldn't beat out Unrein last year, I'm thinking they're targeting the Garrett/Allen idea.

I like your overall logic on this jason.

I think the only possibility for QB, would be possibly Watson. Someone they feel has "it"...but isn't quite ready for prime time NFL action. Glennon's deal isn't so huge...especially if Pace think he has an "it" guy. Glennon could simply be the stop gap w/ a potential to be more and to help Fox attempt to win some games now to keep his job.

I agree on CB completely...also to a large degree S. It's just difficult to see them taking a S that high. Are we talking the next Ronnie Lott?

Othewise...it would make the most sense for DL as you mention. Could be maybe an ILB...but I'm not sure that guy is in this draft at #3 overall.

Assuming the Bears don't trade down ( :pray ), the recent FA pickups seem to have gleaned some light on the situation. Right now only a few possible positions make sense (in no particular order):

1. QB

2. DE

3. S

4. CB

Quarterback

With Glennon on board for the amount of money he got, there is no way the Bears spend a #3 pick a QB to ride the pine. Similarly, they wouldn't have paid Glennon that much, even if it does amount to a one year contract, to sit behind a rookie, first-rounder.

Cornerback

The money they just shelled out for Cooper and Amukamara means there is no way they are going for a CB with the forth pick. The contract given to Cooper indicates they believe he is a future starter, if not star.

So that leaves S & DE, which most of us figured before. They picked up Demps in FA, but I don't think that's enough to make the position strong by any means. Demps is not a deal-sealing safety that immediately created confidence in Bear fandom. But they did absolutely nothing in FA for DE, which means 1 of 2 things:

1. They are drafting DE because Garrett and/or Allen is likely going to be there.

Based on the fact that Bullard couldn't beat out Unrein last year, I'm thinking they're targeting the Garrett/Allen idea.

1. QB

2. DE

3. S

4. CB

Quarterback

Cornerback

If this were Emery or JA I'd say that's the plan. Pace I think is more committed to best available and positioning himself such that he is not pressured into filling a need during the draft. That's not to say he ignores needs entirely.

Amukamara is on a 1yr deal so IMO that does not preclude us from taking a CB. Cooper did get #2 money so I agree they think he can be a starter.

I still say OLB opposite of Floyd is a need with McPhee's injury still a concern, Houston, Willie Young not being the best fit and aging, then it's Acho, Christian Jones, and RRH. I like the potential of RRH and I'd like to see McPhee back as our starter but it seems he'll be on limited snaps from here on out in his career.

If the 49ers are moving both Buckner and Armstead out to 4-3 DE then they could very well take Allen to play inside.

1. QB

2. DE

3. S

4. CB

Quarterback

Cornerback

If Pace and company believe one of these QB's has the make up of becoming a Franchise QB they have to take him at 3.

Signing Glennon to the deal they signed him to only locks him to the Bears for one year. He knows he has one year to prove he is the guy, one of the reason they paid him so much.

I'm hoping we run into the same problem the Chargers had back in the day with Rivers and Brees. Who do you stick with, there was no wrong answer.

I agree with much of the sentiment on a QB at 3. And it would help the Glennon signing make more sense. It could make it a win win situation. Glennon while he has had limited starts in his career, is still early in his career, has shown flashes, and hasn't had the wear and tear on his body. They are paying him starter money for this coming season. If you draft a QB be it Watson, Trubisky, or Keizer the pressure won't be there to step in and start day one. If you can land one who can be the QB of the future and has that "it" quality to them. He can work his way into the lineup without being forced in. If Glennon proves to be worth the pay and is a good fit for the offense it's a win, if that happens and your drafted QB is also a capable QB of the future, it's a win win and a problem we've never had before. The other scenario is also possible that both would suck and we find ourselves still looking for a franchise QB but then what's new? Nothing risked nothing gained. But I think it's worth taking that risk and grabbing a QB at 3. It's been a position of weakness for far too long to ignore it or take it lightly. We could get lucky later in the draft but the later you pick one the more of a project he'll likely be. Finding the gems like Brady later in the draft are not the norm.

That said I also feel DL is a possibility. The stronger our D is the less pressure a new QB and retooled offense will have on their shoulders. We made the playoffs with Kyle Orton at QB and the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman. I would not be opposed to defense here but only if you take a QB somewhere in the first 3 rounds.

S/CB is pushing it as it is a deep DB draft I don't think you have to take one that high. Pace does like to go BPA without losing sight of need.

Agree with most who say we are still in line for a QB at 3. Glennon is not a 'sure thing' despite his contract (and alternatively, maybe because of it). If they draft a QB early they will approach training camp with an open QB competition (have they committed to Glennon as the starter?). Shaw, who is also still on the team, isn't out of the equation will either. He showed a lot of promise during the preseason last year (and was one of the first players to be re-signed). If our drafted QB doesn't work out this year and our team sucks again next offseason, we draft another. If our team does better than expected, then fabulous.

Agree with most who say we are still in line for a QB at 3. Glennon is not a 'sure thing' despite his contract (and alternatively, maybe because of it). If they draft a QB early they will approach training camp with an open QB competition (have they committed to Glennon as the starter?). Shaw, who is also still on the team, isn't out of the equation will either. He showed a lot of promise during the preseason last year (and was one of the first players to be re-signed). If our drafted QB doesn't work out this year and our team sucks again next offseason, we draft another. If our team does better than expected, then fabulous.

Ryan Pace said "Mike Glennon is our starter."

Peace :dabears

Ryan Pace said "Mike Glennon is our starter."

Peace :dabears

Exactly.

I don't understand all the QB at #3 talk. Glennon is the starter. He's getting paid huge money. You don't draft a QB at the #3 pick with the intention of getting splinters in his ass. You play the kid from day 1 so he gets the reps, the experience, the knowledge. And if that is their intention to draft a QB at #3, then they essentially threw away money on Glennon.

Exactly.

I don't understand all the QB at #3 talk. Glennon is the starter. He's getting paid huge money. You don't draft a QB at the #3 pick with the intention of getting splinters in his ass. You play the kid from day 1 so he gets the reps, the experience, the knowledge. And if that is their intention to draft a QB at #3, then they essentially threw away money on Glennon.

I disagree. I'm of the mindset that reps right out of the gate can be detrimental. My preference would be to groom the QB for awhile.

Exactly.

So you don't think that if they just have the two on the roster compete, and Shaw outperforms Glennon in the camps and pre-season they wouldn't reconsider? What if Glennon gets hurt? What if Glennon turns out to be another Brock Osweiler? You think Dallas intended to draft Prescott and have him start? It was pretty apparent that LA didn't even plan on starting Goff even though he was the #1 overall pick.

The point is, you have to deal with the 'knowns' of what is in front of you now. Of the QBs up for the draft, who is capable of starting in the NFL? Of all the NFL teams out there, who needs a QB now? How many of those starting quality QBs will be available in rounds 2 or 3 after other teams pick through them? How many QBs for next year are coming out ready to play? If we stink it up (regardless of our draft this year) where would you want to be to pick that QB next year? What if we play just 'good enough' this year (again regardless of draft this year) and end up at the middle or later picks in the draft? Will we be in a good position then to pick our franchise QB?

If I understand right, Glennons contract has an escape clause in it that says the team can jettison him after this season if he sucks without losing too much. Why would they write his contract that way if they didn't think it possible?

I disagree. I'm of the mindset that reps right out of the gate can be detrimental. My preference would be to groom the QB for awhile.

There is risk for any QB at #3, I would rather have a all pro type drafted than end up with a Jake Locker, or Christian Ponder at that stage. No matter how much you want a QB this is a bad year for QB. One may shine and a couple others end up back ups, but there is no cream of the crop in this draft.

Exactly.

Understand that Pace is not what we've come to expect. If he thinks that the QB of the future is there, he's going to get him at 3. Does not mean Glennon isn't the starter, but I think Pace is putting up the perfect smoke screen to do whatever he pleases. So far, I like it.

If Trubisky is there at 3, I take him. Otherwise, trade down. I do not want Allen at 3.

if Trubisky or Watson is there at 3, I take him. Otherwise I take Adams

the QB can learn for a year. If Glennon leads us to the playoffs, then maybe he gets another year. If not, the rookie starts year 2.

Exactly.

St Louis draft Goff number 1 and sat his ass. All I am saying is I understand if the Bears draft a QB at 3 if they think he is the long term solution. To say its crazy talk is unwarranted.

if Trubisky or Watson is there at 3, I take him. Otherwise I take Adams

the QB can learn for a year. If Glennon leads us to the playoffs, then maybe he gets another year. If not, the rookie starts year 2.

I agree, they need more than Glennon. No one knows if he will flop, get hurt, or be the fa signing of the decade. To count on him, Shaw, and another developmental guy equivalent to Shaw makes no sense...well unless you're a Bears fan.. that is part of Bear culture. Also, signing Glennon to starter money means nothing since they had no one under contract before that and have no idea who will even be available when they draft. If they were solely counting on a QB in the draft to be their day 1 starter, they would have to trade up to #1. All we can read into is we can get a stud defensive player who should produce quickly or a future signal caller who may take some time to adjust.

I don't think drafting a QB 3rd would be a mistake, but I get the feeling that Pace isn't a fan of taking any of them at 3. If he was i don't think he would of signed Glennon so quickly.

Only reason I would rule out a corner is because I'm not sure Lattimore is worth it.

Allen, Thomas, Adams, or Hooker.

I don't think drafting a QB 3rd would be a mistake, but I get the feeling that Pace isn't a fan of taking any of them at 3. If he was i don't think he would of signed Glennon so quickly.

Only reason I would rule out a corner is because I'm not sure Lattimore is worth it.

Allen, Thomas, Adams, or Hooker.

I would love any of those prospects and feel QB may very well be up the sleeve also. Here is what Pace said after hired as GM.

It's a powerful lens in front of Ryan Pace's eyes as he prepares for his first draft as Bears general manager. Since Pace was hired Jan. 8, he has expressed how vital a quarterback is to sustaining success while calling it the most difficult position to evaluate and fill.

So although the Bears are proceeding this season with incumbent Jay Cutler, Pace's search for a long-term solution will continue.

"It's a good idea to add a quarterback every year," Pace said in late March. "You can take a swing every year at it and increase your odds."

That could mean an early-round pick, a late one or a college free agent. Pace overlapped with Tony Romo as a player at Eastern Illinois — not long before Romo went from undrafted free agent to Cowboys star — so he knows that continuing to spin the wheel for a quarterback can pay off.

Finding that treasure, though, can require navigating a minefield with various levels of investment and risk."

So, if he feels one of the top guys is worth the risk, I beleive he takes one. He has not drafted one yet which is surprising from what he said, but I think this year he takes one RD 1-2.

So you don't think that if they just have the two on the roster compete, and Shaw outperforms Glennon in the camps and pre-season they wouldn't reconsider? What if Glennon gets hurt? What if Glennon turns out to be another Brock Osweiler? You think Dallas intended to draft Prescott and have him start? It was pretty apparent that LA didn't even plan on starting Goff even though he was the #1 overall pick.

The point is, you have to deal with the 'knowns' of what is in front of you now. Of the QBs up for the draft, who is capable of starting in the NFL? Of all the NFL teams out there, who needs a QB now? How many of those starting quality QBs will be available in rounds 2 or 3 after other teams pick through them? How many QBs for next year are coming out ready to play? If we stink it up (regardless of our draft this year) where would you want to be to pick that QB next year? What if we play just 'good enough' this year (again regardless of draft this year) and end up at the middle or later picks in the draft? Will we be in a good position then to pick our franchise QB?

If I understand right, Glennons contract has an escape clause in it that says the team can jettison him after this season if he sucks without losing too much. Why would they write his contract that way if they didn't think it possible?

No. Glennon is the starter. He'll have to be atrocious not to get the start. And unless Shaw spent the offseason getting cybernetic implants, he doesn't have the chops to really amaze. That pretty much leaves it to Glennon to do no more than avoid looking terrible.

For the future I don't really know much about next year's draft class. So that's difficult to say. But it can't be independent of this year's picks.

If the Bears draft a QB at #3 and they're:

-Horrible, I hope that means they started the QB all year and he learned. Of course, that also means the Glennon contract was stupid.

-Other, I hope that means they started the QB and he turned into Dak Prescott 2.0. Again, Glennon is bad money.

If the Bears don't draft a QB at #3 and they're:

-Horrible, then it means the Glennon pickup was bad, but at least they're in a spot for a QB.

-Other, then I hope it means Glennon showed promise and might be the guy, then the team can fill other needs.

As for Goff, the Rams have been butchered far and wide for that decision.

No. Glennon is the starter. He'll have to be atrocious not to get the start. And unless Shaw spent the offseason getting cybernetic implants, he doesn't have the chops to really amaze. That pretty much leaves it to Glennon to do no more than avoid looking terrible.

For the future I don't really know much about next year's draft class. So that's difficult to say. But it can't be independent of this year's picks.

If the Bears draft a QB at #3 and they're:

-Horrible, I hope that means they started the QB all year and he learned. Of course, that also means the Glennon contract was stupid.

-Other, I hope that means they started the QB and he turned into Dak Prescott 2.0. Again, Glennon is bad money.

If the Bears don't draft a QB at #3 and they're:

-Horrible, then it means the Glennon pickup was bad, but at least they're in a spot for a QB.

-Other, then I hope it means Glennon showed promise and might be the guy, then the team can fill other needs.

As for Goff, the Rams have been butchered far and wide for that decision.

Not arguing if it was the right move or the wrong move just that it has been done. Also the Seahawks gave Flynn starter money and drafted Wilson in the 3rd. Now drafting Wilson in the 3rd is not the same as the 3rd overall, Ill give you that. Either way, has anyone complained or bitched about the Seahawks giving Flynn too much money????? I dont remember anyone......why???? because they were too busy winning with Wilson to worry about how much money they gave Flynn.

The Bears have not gotten the QB situation correct since McMahon.......I honestly dont care what round they draft one, they better start drafting QB's and get this fixed as soon as possible.