Traded a 7th for D. Inman, WR (LAC)

madlithuanian

Gotta say ... I like it. He’s a ‘big body’ receiver (6’3” 205#) the team needs but the question now is how productive can or will he be? In exchange for a 7th round pick makes it an easier pill to swallow. Dude had 800 yards last year with ~14 yard average and 4 TDs so that’s as good if not better than what we currently have.

Gotta say ... I like it. He’s a ‘big body’ receiver (6’3” 205#) the team needs but the question now is how productive can or will he be? In exchange for a 7th round pick makes it an easier pill to swallow. Dude had 800 yards last year with ~14 yard average and 4 TDs so that’s as good if not better than what we currently have.

Had a nice season a year ago. Conditional pick and 800 yards in prior year. I presume most of last year came because he was forced into action due to the other teams injuries (and this year they got their receivers healthy + drafted Mike Williams), so he might just be an odd man out. Either way, seems like a clear upgrade and with the pick being a conditional 7th, I am ultimately okay with the risk.

Had a nice season a year ago. Conditional pick and 800 yards in prior year. I presume most of last year came because he was forced into action due to the other teams injuries (and this year they got their receivers healthy + drafted Mike Williams), so he might just be an odd man out. Either way, seems like a clear upgrade and with the pick being a conditional 7th, I am ultimately okay with the risk.

I am happier with him than giving up more for Martavious Bryant. Paces record of signing FA WRs isn't impressive so far, let's hope this one shines

We'll see what he can do after the bye week.

Any additions will help, next year there will be 3 new WRs so it only matters this year.

You figure when Wheaton is back we have in and Inman with Wright in the slot and it at least one step forward.

I think they are planning on using Cohen as a slot WR more going forward to get both him and Howard on the field at the same time.

Any additions will help, next year there will be 3 new WRs so it only matters this year.

You figure when Wheaton is back we have in and Inman with Wright in the slot and it at least one step forward.

I think they are planning on using Cohen as a slot WR more going forward to get both him and Howard on the field at the same time.

Honestly, I don't know what they're planning on WRs. So many options of a lot of C+ guys with potential.

What I do know, however, is that it would be a horrible move to put Cohen out as a slot WR a lot. That's not his position, and it reeks of previous years and previous staffs playing people out of position. Cohen is a RB, and should be used as such. 2-3 times out wide during a game should be enough.

Not a lot of risk here. In any case you won't find a better WR prospect in the 7th Rd in the next draft. At least not one with this high of a floor (to borrow the old Angelo term).

He's not very fast, nor is he slow, but from the highlights all I can see is that he's good when he's wide open. He's not very stout for his height so I'd like to see how he can handle contested catches or how well he can track the deep ball. Time will tell but he fits in with all the others so why not take a chance.

Honestly, I don't know what they're planning on WRs. So many options of a lot of C+ guys with potential.

What I do know, however, is that it would be a horrible move to put Cohen out as a slot WR a lot. That's not his position, and it reeks of previous years and previous staffs playing people out of position. Cohen is a RB, and should be used as such. 2-3 times out wide during a game should be enough.

No...Cohen is not a running back...he is a guy who you use as a weapon and get the ball in space to. If you are using him out wide and finding creative ways to get the ball in space to him there, leveraging him in the backfield, etc...I'd say you are doing things right because you will make it hard for "defenses" to know what you are doing when Cohen is in the game and maximize the ability to get him the ball in space, etc. When you add in the fact that Howard is our starting running back and he should get the bulk of those carries, it magnifies the fact that you need to get creative to get the ball in the hands of one of your best playmakers. If he's a match-up problem on the outside, you exploit that fact and it should only make him a better player. Think Danny Woodhead or Darren Sproles and how much they would get split out, etc. In 2011, Sproles had one more rushing attempt then reception (87 vs. 86).

No...Cohen is not a running back...he is a guy who you use as a weapon and get the ball in space to. If you are using him out wide and finding creative ways to get the ball in space to him there, leveraging him in the backfield, etc...I'd say you are doing things right because you will make it hard for "defenses" to know what you are doing when Cohen is in the game and maximize the ability to get him the ball in space, etc. When you add in the fact that Howard is our starting running back and he should get the bulk of those carries, it magnifies the fact that you need to get creative to get the ball in the hands of one of your best playmakers. If he's a match-up problem on the outside, you exploit that fact and it should only make him a better player. Think Danny Woodhead or Darren Sproles and how much they would get split out, etc. In 2011, Sproles had one more rushing attempt then reception (87 vs. 86).

I'm not researching it, or even know where you could, but I bet the great majority of Sproles' receptions were from out of the backfield. I doubt they lined him up wide nearly as much as the receptions from the backfield.

There is a great difference between coming out of the backfield where it's your normal position and learning how to run routes as a WR. Foot placement, hand placement, tempo, direction, and a litany of other concepts dictate whether or not there is separation from the defender, and whether or not the receiver is on the same sheet of music as the QB. Furthermore, if you ask him to do something extremely outside his skillset and comfort zone, you risk injury from not only an unorthodox move, but also from the lack of instincts in relation to when/where the hits may be coming. On top of that there is a rookie QB who is likely seeing things like he's sitting in an X-Wing Starfighter, so he's more likely to leave a WR open up to getting destroyed by a strong safety missile.

I'm not researching it, or even know where you could, but I bet the great majority of Sproles' receptions were from out of the backfield. I doubt they lined him up wide nearly as much as the receptions from the backfield.

There is a great difference between coming out of the backfield where it's your normal position and learning how to run routes as a WR. Foot placement, hand placement, tempo, direction, and a litany of other concepts dictate whether or not there is separation from the defender, and whether or not the receiver is on the same sheet of music as the QB. Furthermore, if you ask him to do something extremely outside his skillset and comfort zone, you risk injury from not only an unorthodox move, but also from the lack of instincts in relation to when/where the hits may be coming. On top of that there is a rookie QB who is likely seeing things like he's sitting in an X-Wing Starfighter, so he's more likely to leave a WR open up to getting destroyed by a strong safety missile.

I’d liken this to the experiment that was Devin Hester as WR. Although my opinion was in the minority (I liked it) overall it didn’t work.

Big reason, to me, is if you line him up as a slot receiver that pretty much tells the other team what you’re up to. In this case you’d be better off just having him line up in the backfield and catch it there.

I’d liken this to the experiment that was Devin Hester as WR. Although my opinion was in the minority (I liked it) overall it didn’t work.

Big reason, to me, is if you line him up as a slot receiver that pretty much tells the other team what you’re up to. In this case you’d be better off just having him line up in the backfield and catch it there.

That isn't necesarily true. If he is at slot receiver it doesn't mean he gets the ball all the time...you can motion him back to the backfield with Howard there (and go with two backs and do a variety of things from that formation) and you can also have him out on the slot (without Howard in the game) and motion him back to RB where he plays RB or still goes out in pass formation.

There are a ton of things to do and in terms of Sproles...he was heavily used as a slot receiver in both Philly and New Orleans. Below is a quote from Sproles from his days in New Orleans and there were other quotes from Brees talking about how much they used him the slot. The guy is a running back, so he should be able to leverage contact, etc and he is super shifty quick (and strong) so dealing with a bit of bump coverage is a potential advantage. Play your match-ups and use the ability to put him in the slot as yet another way to create an advantage (that is what the leagues best offenses do on a regular basis).

"This is the way I love to be used," Sproles said. "They have me wide sometimes, they have me in the slot, they have me in the backfield. That's the way I like it. ... They put me in the right spots, they put me in a lot of space."

Interestingly enough when looking for quotes on Sproles working out of the slot...I found an article on Jordan Matthews and why the Eagles traded him and they mentioned it was because he was pretty limited in the route tree and they wanted to move him because they didn't see him being anything other than a slot receiver and they couldn't justify handing him the contract extension he wanted (given the limited route-tree). Of course, we all know who Wes Welker was...just a "slot" receiver, but I don't think Matthews is that.

Another note I observed about this Inman kid I like. Watched an interview he just gave after joining the team and have to say I’m impressed. Well spoken, very engaged and focused. He was asked several times about his thoughts on leadership and had some impressive perspective considering he now is on a very young team and he himself is a ‘veteran’. One quote he used to illustrate his thought on leadership was from Michael Jordan: ‘When Jordan would step on the court he would tell the rest of the players he would need them to match his intensity’. I gotta say, good choice of quotes and well said. Now go ‘get some’! Welcome to Chicago (new) #17!

Interestingly enough when looking for quotes on Sproles working out of the slot...I found an article on Jordan Matthews and why the Eagles traded him and they mentioned it was because he was pretty limited in the route tree and they wanted to move him because they didn't see him being anything other than a slot receiver and they couldn't justify handing him the contract extension he wanted (given the limited route-tree). Of course, we all know who Wes Welker was...just a "slot" receiver, but I don't think Matthews is that.

Oh no. Not even close. Welker is far beyond Matthews as a slot, but Matthews is a poor-man's Brandon Marshall, a guy who can ago across the middle and snag passes in heavy traffic. You can never have enough guys like that.

So there’s talk Eric Ebron may want out of Detroit. Know he’s a TE but so was Zach Miller. Is he a tradeable option?

And...he played at North Carolina...although a few years before Biscuit was there.

He wants out because he has never lived up to his draft status. No need for him here. We have Sims who is another underperforming TE, Shaheen developing, and Brown who can fill in the role for Miller.