Fox & Co are a given...is Pace?

madlithuanian

I don't think fox is the root of all our problems however the coaching staff is without question a major problem which is why they must go. Ive got my own reservations about pace I'm just not sure we are best served by blowing everything completely up all again. With things as bad as they are I can't justify bringing everyone back. The easiest thing to do is start with the coaching staff because they are a huge problem. And like you said pace will then own it completely starting next yr and hopefully he gets it right otherwise we will stuck with blowing it all up again and at that point we might as well be the browns. Pace needs to make this next draft absolutely count and he needs to bring in a coaching staff that isn't afraid to start younger players

If ridding our team of Fox is the key to our team turning around, they should at the very least consider having Fangio be interim through the end of the year. What has the team got to lose?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon, we both give a damn or wouldn't be debating! :cheers

You may be right about the root of our woes. Which ultimately is that it's run by the McCaskey's. That said, a strange but good analogy is AIDS. McCasky's might be the AIDS virus, but Fox is penicillin in which the organism is having a very bad allergic reaction to. Yeah, ultimately AIDS is harming the overall health of the organism, but the allergic reaction isn't doing anyone any favors. Fox isn't the cure here. He's part of the problem now. What he did for other organisms in the past doesn't matter. What matters is the damage he's doing to this particular organism now. Solve the allergy issue, and the organism can still thrive. Looks at how well Magic Johnson is still doing.

I believe I've been up front that I'm not blindly following anyone/anything other than the logo as long as it still resides in Chicago. I just hope. Hope that Pace gets it right this time.

To borrow a "Gone with the Wind" reference; "Frankly, I could give a damn" when you can't understand my logic. But I'm sure the same would be said in response from you. Yes the odds are that Fox will be gone but I have this unsettling belief he is not the root of our woes. You can blindly follow in faith to what Pace will do from here on out, but I won't be so easily won over. Again, I'm sure you could care none more. Be that as it may, we will move on to someone new and next year will be Pace's to own. I just hope that its not at the expense of our team.

It's been widely reported throughout Chicago sources that Fangio doesn't want the job.

The think the only viable candidate would be Donnatel. Which, I'd have no problem doing. If Fangio doesn't want to man up, next man up...

If ridding our team of Fox is the key to our team turning around, they should at the very least consider having Fangio be interim through the end of the year. What has the team got to lose?

C'mon, we both give a damn or wouldn't be debating! :cheers

You may be right about the root of our woes. Which ultimately is that it's run by the McCaskey's. That said, a strange but good analogy is AIDS. McCasky's might be the AIDS virus, but Fox is penicillin in which the organism is having a very bad allergic reaction to. Yeah, ultimately AIDS is harming the overall health of the organism, but the allergic reaction isn't doing anyone any favors. Fox isn't the cure here. He's part of the problem now. What he did for other organisms in the past doesn't matter. What matters is the damage he's doing to this particular organism now. Solve the allergy issue, and the organism can still thrive. Looks at how well Magic Johnson is still doing.

I believe I've been up front that I'm not blindly following anyone/anything other than the logo as long as it still resides in Chicago. I just hope. Hope that Pace gets it right this time.

“HIV and Penicillin?” Really?

“HIV and Penicillin?” Really?

What we should really be talking about it TED PHILLIPS. I screamed this when they fired Emery and Trestman. I was so pissed when George and TED marched up to the Podium to announce their plans. Its a freakin joke.

George McCaskey

1. CEO - born into it, before being the ceo I actually spoke to him on the phone about a problem with my season tickets, he managed the season tickets..........the freakin ticket manager is now running the Bears

2. He was born into this position and he competes against a bunch of self made billionaires.......who do you think has an advantage??????

3. This is a positive - it really seems like he cares. But I think it is stopping him from moving on from Ted.

Ted Phillips

1. He's an accountant - why on earth is an acct running the Bears?????

2. His record as President is freakin terrible - take a look at his W/L record, trips to the Playoffs, you already know ZERO SB's.

3. His claim to fame is getting the new stadium deal done.......builds the 2nd smallest stadium in the 2nd biggest market (at the time). Now everyone is going BIG with the new stadiums. This tells me Ted is not a FWD thinker

4. When he and George pick there man they come up with Phil Emery........who picks Trestman over Arians.............this should tell you everything

5. He literally has to hire Ernie Acorsi to help him find a new GM - are you shitting me.

6. The Bears value has increased while on Teds watch, but that is more to do with the NFL not Ted Phillips. Ted is a lucky freak to be the President during this era of the NFL

HIRE A REAL TEAM PRESIDENT. George wants to win a SB, pay someone big money to come run the whole show. Move Ted to some small corner office in the basement and let me him count the money. Because the Bears have a weak owner they need a strong a President. They need a president that is well networked throughout the NFL. One that knows coaching talent, front office talent and can spot a player while scouting. Let him hire the front office. Then from there find the right coaches.

Agreed. However, everything I've read is may as well be a McCaskey...

What we should really be talking about it TED PHILLIPS. I screamed this when they fired Emery and Trestman. I was so pissed when George and TED marched up to the Podium to announce their plans. Its a freakin joke.

George McCaskey

1. CEO - born into it, before being the ceo I actually spoke to him on the phone about a problem with my season tickets, he managed the season tickets..........the freakin ticket manager is now running the Bears

2. He was born into this position and he competes against a bunch of self made billionaires.......who do you think has an advantage??????

3. This is a positive - it really seems like he cares. But I think it is stopping him from moving on from Ted.

Ted Phillips

2. His record as President is freakin terrible - take a look at his W/L record, trips to the Playoffs, you already know ZERO SB's.

3. His claim to fame is getting the new stadium deal done.......builds the 2nd smallest stadium in the 2nd biggest market (at the time). Now everyone is going BIG with the new stadiums. This tells me Ted is not a FWD thinker

4. When he and George pick there man they come up with Phil Emery........who picks Trestman over Arians.............this should tell you everything

5. He literally has to hire Ernie Acorsi to help him find a new GM - are you shitting me.

6. The Bears value has increased while on Teds watch, but that is more to do with the NFL not Ted Phillips. Ted is a lucky freak to be the President during this era of the NFL

HIRE A REAL TEAM PRESIDENT. George wants to win a SB, pay someone big money to come run the whole show. Move Ted to some small corner office in the basement and let me him count the money. Because the Bears have a weak owner they need a strong a President. They need a president that is well networked throughout the NFL. One that knows coaching talent, front office talent and can spot a player while scouting. Let him hire the front office. Then from there find the right coaches.

Is the team bad because of coaching or lack of talent?

I'd argue both. If the talent is this poor after a few years and a total roster overhaul, then Pace himself should be first in line to the chopping block. That said, this is the McCaskey's. They will hold a press conference, fire loggins and everyone else keep their job or something.

George McCaskey

Ted Phillips

Absolutely. I think he is the biggest problem we have.

Is the team bad because of coaching or lack of talent?

I'd argue both. If the talent is this poor after a few years and a total roster overhaul, then Pace himself should be first in line to the chopping block. That said, this is the McCaskey's. They will hold a press conference, fire loggins and everyone else keep their job or something.

I was wondering when you’d be back. As I’ve been pushing this anti-Pace discussion I couldn’t help but recall you’re not liking him from the get go. I’ll be the first to admit you were right.

George McCaskey

Ted Phillips

If I’m nothing else I’m at least sentimental. Given the owners (in this case) are related to the founding father Papa Bear, I’ll always argue they have a right to ‘own’. But anything outside of that should be considered to be either replaced or re-assigned. If it’s a family member that is not where they belong, they get out (as you suggest) in a corner office; out of sight, out of mind. That is except for Virgina. She gets a pass. Anyone who is not genetically tied to the team can go. I’d think Ted Phillips is numero uno on that list.

Perhaps Arcosi’s analysis should have looked at this rather than the GM / HC positions.

I was wondering when you’d be back. As I’ve been pushing this anti-Pace discussion I couldn’t help but recall you’re not liking him from the get go. I’ll be the first to admit you were right.

It went back to his roots. He was a over the free agent signings and talent on the Saints. They had a horrible D every year, and weren't known for great free agent signings. I wasn't impressed.

He gave me Trubisky like I wanted, so he was going to get a pass from me for the year. However, look at the talent he surrounded him with. There isnt a legit WR on the team, except for Merridith, a number 2 at best. The offensive line needs a lot of work. To top it off, Loggains is calling the plays.

I could make a big list of why I don't like Pace, but I will say 2 things instead. How well was his evaluation Glennon before making him rich? Are you satisfied with the talent on the team which is built with mostly players he brought in?

It went back to his roots. He was a over the free agent signings and talent on the Saints. They had a horrible D every year, and weren't known for great free agent signings. I wasn't impressed.

He gave me Trubisky like I wanted, so he was going to get a pass from me for the year. However, look at the talent he surrounded him with. There isnt a legit WR on the team, except for Merridith, a number 2 at best. The offensive line needs a lot of work. To top it off, Loggains is calling the plays.

I could make a big list of why I don't like Pace, but I will say 2 things instead. How well was his evaluation Glennon before making him rich? Are you satisfied with the talent on the team which is built with mostly players he brought in?

I don't have to be convinced ... any longer. He's in over his head, IMHO. The problem I have is the lack of talent he's provided Fox will be his (Fox's) demise and not his own. At least not this year... Good work on spotting it.

I have two issues (although minor) to your post. One being I'm not a fan of Trubisky's. At least not yet. And I am a fan of Inman's. Dude seems to be a decent WR, maybe not #1 or #2 but he can hold his own.

I don't have to be convinced ... any longer. He's in over his head, IMHO. The problem I have is the lack of talent he's provided Fox will be his (Fox's) demise and not his own. At least not this year... Good work on spotting it.

I have two issues (although minor) to your post. One being I'm not a fan of Trubisky's. At least not yet. And I am a fan of Inman's. Dude seems to be a decent WR, maybe not #1 or #2 but he can hold his own.

You have already made your mind up about Trubisky???

You really have a thing for QB's, maybe it wasnt really Cutler this whole time....... just whoever plays QB........either way i think its a little early to already not be fan.

I've said this before, but there is an incredibly common belief that if you push people hard enough, or replace them, perfection is possible.

It's like putting a gun to a stock broker's head and demanding the price of gold one month from now. Yes you've motivated him, but no, he still cannot predict the future.

There is a skill for example to playing poker. The best players show up in the tournaments over and over, but they do not win every hand. Not by a long shot.

We see them succeed by taking good risks, and having the big bets pay off more often than not.

Damning Pace for cutting Gould for example is a mistake. At the time he'd missed a bunch of kicks, seemed to be declining, and had a cap number WAY out of line for a kicker. It made sense to cut him. That the other player drew that missing card to fill the inside straight is too bad, but it was still the right bet at the time.

Same with Glennon and Trubisky. He went out and made sure we had a QB. He hedged bets, and spent draft picks. Ive heard people here say with certainty that Trubisky would be there at #3. But we know the Browns were trying to trade up, and we have heard that they were offering us packages too. I think if Trubisky blossoms next year, it won't look so bad.

And Trubisky was picked a year early. He wasn't ripe. They needed an interim guy. Glennon was pursued by more than one team, and that tells you other GMs thought he was worth something too. If Pace had put all his eggs into the Glennon basket, then yes, he would be a bad GM. But he didn't. He didn't see that role for him. He wanted insurance against Trubisky needing a red shirt year.

Free agency isn't how you build a franchise. You always overpay for talent that's not so young in that game. To expect that every Free Agent is going to be a pro bowler is nuts. Especially when they don't sign for Pro Bowl dollars.

It's very easy to be the fan that says everyone is stupid. It's a tradition. We yell at the TV and it's astonishing that these highly paid people are SO dumb isn't it? Could it be instead that it's MUCH harder than it looks, and simply pointing to a bad play and saying "that is bad" is VERY different than locating players you can afford to fir your scheme as you build?

I know Fox is gone. We were lucky to have him as a babysitter while we started building. Now it's time for a new coach to take the next step with.

Pace is doing fine. He's drafted quite a few players who will be very good for us, and identified players to extend from our roster. Soon we will have a team, something we haven't seen in a long time. I don't just mean that they will be good, I mean that they will have been developed from inside, the way the Packers, Patriots and other solid franchises do it.

If in 2 or 3 years we are still terrible, then Pace will be judged. Right now, he's doing pretty well in my book.

You have already made your mind up about Trubisky???

You really have a thing for QB's, maybe it wasnt really Cutler this whole time....... just whoever plays QB........either way i think its a little early to already not be fan.

Not being a fan may a bit harsh. I actually meant it more to reflect where he was picked. Which really isn’t his doing. I’m still stale to his play. Haven’t seen anything ... yet ... to make me feel warm and fuzzy to call him out ‘future’.

Not being a fan may a bit harsh. I actually meant it more to reflect where he was picked. Which really isn’t his doing. I’m still stale to his play. Haven’t seen anything ... yet ... to make me feel warm and fuzzy to call him out ‘future’.

The problem from what I'm seeing is the coaching staff especially the play calling is way too safe and stale and very predictable. Which doesn't allow him to try and make things happen.

I've said this before, but there is an incredibly common belief that if you push people hard enough, or replace them, perfection is possible.

It's like putting a gun to a stock broker's head and demanding the price of gold one month from now. Yes you've motivated him, but no, he still cannot predict the future.

There is a skill for example to playing poker. The best players show up in the tournaments over and over, but they do not win every hand. Not by a long shot.

We see them succeed by taking good risks, and having the big bets pay off more often than not.

Damning Pace for cutting Gould for example is a mistake. At the time he'd missed a bunch of kicks, seemed to be declining, and had a cap number WAY out of line for a kicker. It made sense to cut him. That the other player drew that missing card to fill the inside straight is too bad, but it was still the right bet at the time.

Same with Glennon and Trubisky. He went out and made sure we had a QB. He hedged bets, and spent draft picks. Ive heard people here say with certainty that Trubisky would be there at #3. But we know the Browns were trying to trade up, and we have heard that they were offering us packages too. I think if Trubisky blossoms next year, it won't look so bad.

And Trubisky was picked a year early. He wasn't ripe. They needed an interim guy. Glennon was pursued by more than one team, and that tells you other GMs thought he was worth something too. If Pace had put all his eggs into the Glennon basket, then yes, he would be a bad GM. But he didn't. He didn't see that role for him. He wanted insurance against Trubisky needing a red shirt year.

Free agency isn't how you build a franchise. You always overpay for talent that's not so young in that game. To expect that every Free Agent is going to be a pro bowler is nuts. Especially when they don't sign for Pro Bowl dollars.

It's very easy to be the fan that says everyone is stupid. It's a tradition. We yell at the TV and it's astonishing that these highly paid people are SO dumb isn't it? Could it be instead that it's MUCH harder than it looks, and simply pointing to a bad play and saying "that is bad" is VERY different than locating players you can afford to fir your scheme as you build?

I know Fox is gone. We were lucky to have him as a babysitter while we started building. Now it's time for a new coach to take the next step with.

Pace is doing fine. He's drafted quite a few players who will be very good for us, and identified players to extend from our roster. Soon we will have a team, something we haven't seen in a long time. I don't just mean that they will be good, I mean that they will have been developed from inside, the way the Packers, Patriots and other solid franchises do it.

If in 2 or 3 years we are still terrible, then Pace will be judged. Right now, he's doing pretty well in my book.

Good post. I hope your right.

Peace :dabears

Good post. I hope your right.

Peace :dabears

The problem from what I'm seeing is the coaching staff especially the play calling is way too safe and stale and very predictable. Which doesn't allow him to try and make things happen.

I’ll say he looked a lot better than I expected in that first game against Minnesota. They let him do some of the things we expected them to. The offense seemed balanced. But since then, for whatever reason things have gradually degraded.

I’d agree with some analysts that it appeared they were opening the book up more but the more they did that, the more overwhelmed Trubisky looks. Seems it should be going the other way.

One thing I know he’s damned not to do is TO the ball; especially from INTs. But because of that he’s taking too long in the pocket and watching his receivers too long. We see the result of that. Whether it be a sack (he’s started taking more of them) or him trying to force a scramble.

The overall results are diminished pass attempts. I blame that on some play calling but probably more so play execution; or lack thereof.

Good post NYC.

It's been widely reported throughout Chicago sources that Fangio doesn't want the job.

The think the only viable candidate would be Donnatel. Which, I'd have no problem doing. If Fangio doesn't want to man up, next man up...

I thought it was widely reported that Pace doesn't want Fangio? At least those were the first reports...so if anything, I would presume Fangio came out subsequent and pretended like he isn't interested. The reality is, Fangio is not necessarily the most well-liked guy and a lot of teams have questioned whether he could actually be a head coach (doesn't mean those teams aren't wrong...just something worth pointing out). I think he's a good DC...I don't have any interest in him as our HC.