Fox & Co are a given...is Pace?

madlithuanian

i really don't see it as being that far out of the realm of possibility that cleveland would move up and pick a considered franchise qb along with the touted best player in the draft (a defensive pass rusher).

why wouldn't they? there are so many configurations for them to move up and make that trade. if you get a franchise defensive player AND a franchise QB in one draft how is that a bad thing? they had plenty of ammo to make drastic trades up without doing a ditka. no one would predict cleveland was going to turn it around in one year so their trade bait was high picks from the 2018 draft also.

i would do it.

The reason why it's so implausible is the amount they would have had to trade to get back to #2. Cleveland was/is a horrible team in need of many players, and it would have required at least their next four picks (1.12 = 1200, 2.33 = 580, 2.52 = 380, 3.65 = 265) to get to the value of Chicago's #3 (2200). Even more would have been required to get to #2 (2600). They were easily the worst team in the NFL last year, and their front office would have been eviscerated if they gave up that much to move up to #2 when so many QBs were better situated for their location in the draft (i.e. Watson & Mahomes), and they had/have so many deficiencies on their roster.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason why it's so implausible is the amount they would have had to trade to get back to #2. Cleveland was/is a horrible team in need of many players, and it would have required at least their next four picks (1.12 = 1200, 2.33 = 580, 2.52 = 380, 3.65 = 265) to get to the value of Chicago's #3 (2200). Even more would have been required to get to #2 (2600). They were easily the worst team in the NFL last year, and their front office would have been eviscerated if they gave up that much to move up to #2 when so many QBs were better situated for their location in the draft (i.e. Watson & Mahomes), and they had/have so many deficiencies on their roster.

i guess i don't really know what they offered the bears to move up. anybody on here know?

the way i would look at it if i were the browns... they get the best player in the draft at #1 who is an immediate impact player. if they move up to the #2 slot they get the qb that they coveted all along. this gives them a franchise pass rusher and a future franchise qb who needs time to work his way into the nfl. that is hard to beat no matter what you give up. they didn't appear to have any real hard interest in any other qb besides trubisky. the niners didn't appear interested in a qb so the trade to that slot is doable. the bears just signed a big contract free agent and was not looking like pace was going to pull the trigger on trubisky even if he fell. a great smoke screen and draft strategy by our franchise.

if the browns gave up a top 15 pick this year and their first round pick next year it certainly was going to be a high top 5 pick. that's a lot of bait to throw at the 9ers not to mention if they had to give up a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year (i have no idea of the value chart of what picks are worth) but if i were the niners that would be a reallly interesting offer.

the browns would come out of it in really good shape. they have picked high the past number of years and this would give them the key positions to make great strides in the next 2-3 years. they need quality players, not more draft picks.

At the end of the day whether Pace overpaid or not if Trubisky is a stud then it doesn’t matter. I suppose we could have drafted Solomon Thomas or traded down to get picks but if Pace’s judgement was Trubisky is a stud I would have an potential all pro QB over a DE.

Maybe we could have had both taking a QB this year at the top of the draft but if Trubisky pans out we a closer to being competitive having him play this year.

The crux of the matter is going to be the next 3 games especially Detroit and Minnesota. If he performs in those games and we win out the confidence that will have been built can’t be understated.

If we are perceived as being an up and coming team the top free agents will want to come here.

If we win out it wouldn’t surprise me if Fox is back next year considering the brutal schedule we have had especially at the start of the season as well as the injuries we have suffered. Look at our wide receivers and linebackers this year.

If Meredith, White, Wright, Bellamy and if we would have still picked up Inman I think this unit would have been good and if we would have had Young, Floyd, Trevathan and Freeman playing all year with McPhee playing a bit part role this would have meant the Bears would be been considerably more competive.

Other than big questions with White and Freeman if we have these players back and the team has less injuries with Trubisky’s development we could see the start of something special.

I suppose I’m a glass half full guy so I like to be positive we’ll at least not on a Sunday over the past 5 years..

Implausible like Dave Toub being an OC?????? sorry, i had to.

Trubisky was Pace's guy....He got his guy. The rest doesn't matter. It's done, if Pace was right he will go down in the history books as the GM that finally figured out the QB position for the Bears. If he was wrong....someone else already said he wont get another GM job.

This 100%.

Peace :dabears

Implausible like Dave Toub being an OC?????? sorry, i had to.

It's cool. Remember, I never said I thought it was likely, or that it could be proven in any way. My whole secondary argument to that issue was that it's an unknown, he's a good coach, and he couldn't do much worse than the supposed offensive "experts" that have been hired by the Bears for quite some time. I never said it was likely. On random luck alone, I'm pretty sure half this board could have done a better job calling plays than Low-gains this year.

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks ago in the depths of our losing streak I said the team needed to make a decision on whether or not to keep Ryan Pace within the next two weeks. I believe that decision has been made and he is staying. Nothing has been made official of course but the signs all point in this direction. With the rumors this week that Ted Phillips was contacting teams inquiring about HC candidates many were up in arms thinking he was taking over (again). It is now apparent that the team is simply following league protocol for inquiries about available coaches and in fact Pace is making the hiring decision.

https://sportsmockery.com/2017/12/huge-ques...nally-answered/

(for the record it is the link to Berntstein/CBS inside that article that I trust)

Pace signed a 5yr deal when he came on. With ownership satisfied he is the GM they want, and now him being allowed to hire his own HC, they will need to give him a contract extension. No decent HC candidate will want to come here knowing his GM will only be around for perhaps 2 seasons. That could be just be one more single season were the Bears to win just 6 games next year. That type of instability can affect FA signings too. HC candidates will need the confidence to know they'll have a few years to work with Pace to get it turned around.

I expect to see a contract extension for Pace announced early this offseason but I'm not sure what they'll do. Maybe a 2yr extension to sync him and the new HC for 4 years?

A few weeks ago in the depths of our losing streak I said the team needed to make a decision on whether or not to keep Ryan Pace within the next two weeks. I believe that decision has been made and he is staying. Nothing has been made official of course but the signs all point in this direction. With the rumors this week that Ted Phillips was contacting teams inquiring about HC candidates many were up in arms thinking he was taking over (again). It is now apparent that the team is simply following league protocol for inquiries about available coaches and in fact Pace is making the hiring decision.

(for the record it is the link to Berntstein/CBS inside that article that I trust)

Pace signed a 5yr deal when he came on. With ownership satisfied he is the GM they want, and now him being allowed to hire his own HC, they will need to give him a contract extension. No decent HC candidate will want to come here knowing his GM will only be around for perhaps 2 seasons. That could be just be one more single season were the Bears to win just 6 games next year. That type of instability can affect FA signings too. HC candidates will need the confidence to know they'll have a few years to work with Pace to get it turned around.

I expect to see a contract extension for Pace announced early this offseason but I'm not sure what they'll do. Maybe a 2yr extension to sync him and the new HC for 4 years?

I agree, I think most of your good franchises have stability at the top. NE, GB, Pitts. You cant keep changing regimes every three years and turn into a winner. They will let this play out. Pace has made some dump decisions, K, Glennon, the injured players is out of his control. He also has built a core for the future going forward. MT is the future to live or die with. If we have a top 10 QB for the next 10 years, everybody will win, it is just not something you can judge in one year, check back in 2020.

I freakin hate seeing or hearing Ted Phillips name when it comes to anything related to the Bears.

More confirmation Pace is running the HC search

http://www.thetenyardline.com/2017/12/27/r...ces-to-conduct/

Former GM: “Pace is 100% in charge and he will get the guy he wants. That job is extremely attractive.”

Now this job is no longer rumored to be a horrible opportunity some have said it will be. IMO, if a former GM is saying this it's because he's a person with connections around the league and that's what he's hearing, and it's not just his opinion. He also likely knows who is on the list since Phillips had to call around the league the verify availability. That statement hints there is someone already at the top of the list that has mutual interest. Next week will be interesting.

More confirmation Pace is running the HC search

http://www.thetenyardline.com/2017/12/27/r...ces-to-conduct/

Former GM: “Pace is 100% in charge and he will get the guy he wants. That job is extremely attractive.”

Now this job is no longer rumored to be a horrible opportunity some have said it will be. IMO, if a former GM is saying this it's because he's a person with connections around the league and that's what he's hearing, and it's not just his opinion. He also likely knows who is on the list since Phillips had to call around the league the verify availability. That statement hints there is someone already at the top of the list that has mutual interest. Next week will be interesting.

Have you heard that Arians will be leaving the Cards?

Have you heard that Arians will be leaving the Cards?

Arians shot that down. He's had health issues but if that is the problem he'll be retiring not looking for another job. So far it looks like he'll be back. The question is what will they do at QB if Palmer retires.

Here we are at the end of the 2017 road. I believe Pace is staying and there are now rumors that he's going to get a contract extension soon to sync his deal with that of a new HC.

There's been too many rumors circling over Fox to think he'll be staying. The question I have now is who stays? I think we have many good coaches on the staff and I'd like to see some of them retained. Fangio is at the top of my list, I like Donatell too. I'll be curious to see if Pace fires Fox but hangs onto some of the coaches so the new HC can interview them to see if there is a mutual desire to keep them around. I believe their contracts run through Feb/March.

Here we are at the end of the 2017 road. I believe Pace is staying and there are now rumors that he's going to get a contract extension soon to sync his deal with that of a new HC.

There's been too many rumors circling over Fox to think he'll be staying. The question I have now is who stays? I think we have many good coaches on the staff and I'd like to see some of them retained. Fangio is at the top of my list, I like Donatell too. I'll be curious to see if Pace fires Fox but hangs onto some of the coaches so the new HC can interview them to see if there is a mutual desire to keep them around. I believe their contracts run through Feb/March.

I believe the assistant coaches contracts expired after this season. It will be a matter of attracting them to re-sign here. Seen rumours of Fangio going to Oak or GB already.