Bears Sign Bennie Fowler, WR

Pixote

Jeff Dickerson, ESPN Staff Writer, Posted this on ESPN.com

The Bears are signing former Denver Broncos wide receiver Bennie Fowler to a one-year contract, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Friday. Fowler, who went undrafted out of Michigan State in 2014, caught a career-high 29 passes for 350 yards and three touchdowns for the Broncos last year. The Bears recently lost wide receiver Cameron Meredith, who signed with New Orleans on Wednesday when Chicago opted not to match the Saints offer sheet to the restricted free agent.

I don't know anything about Bennie Fowler other that what is quoted. Is he just camp fodder or does he have a chance to be anything beyond a game day inactive?

Thanks AG, I liked the highlight clips. Fowler certainly showed his speed. He made some difficult catches and seems to have good hands. It'll be interesting to see how he does. I have a feeling this will prove out to be a very good signing.

Interesting signing.  Young WR with some upside potential who can challenge White or a 3rd/4th Rd rookie for reps.  We'll have 3 WRs on relatively equal footing albeit for different reasons.  With his special teams experience Fowler could end up replacing Bellamy if White and the rookie are looking good and we keep 5 WRs.  I think that's quite possible for a team that says it wants to run 3 TE sets often, plus having a guy like Cohen on the roster.             Robinson, Gabriel,     (White, Fowler, rookie)     Bellamy.         

A few months ago I predicted that we wouldn't have more than 2 WR from 2017 on the opening day active 47 and took a lot of heat for it.

Admittedly I was also saying a WR in one of the first two rounds which I am now not predicting anymore.

But last year's WR group was dismal. One of the worst ever. You'd have to go to the Buccaneers 0-16 team or something to find competitors for that title.
They were AWFUL.

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

A few months ago I predicted that we wouldn't have more than 2 WR from 2017 on the opening day active 47 and took a lot of heat for it.

Admittedly I was also saying a WR in one of the first two rounds which I am now not predicting anymore.

But last year's WR group was dismal. One of the worst ever. You'd have to go to the Buccaneers 0-16 team or something to find competitors for that title.
They were AWFUL.

Yes you were. Lol. I think I was saying 2 returners lol. Curious though what year did the bucs go 0-16. I thought only the Lions and last year's browns were the only teams to have that kind of prestige

I remember Fowler last year having some good games that drew some interest in fantasy.  Other than that I hadn't paid attention to Denver.  He looks like he could at least be camp depth with some upside to carve out a role.  If he plays on special teams too, that could give him an edge to make the roster.  At this point can't add too many WR's with upside.  

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Wonder why Denver didn't keep him. 

Looks like they paid bigger bucks for Thomas and Sanders and have an up and comer they hope can take the #3 spot.  Probably a money thing according to the below link.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Bolt/Bennie-Fowler-tweets-goodbye-message-to-Broncos-Country-117337686

3 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Looks like they paid bigger bucks for Thomas and Sanders and have an up and comer they hope can take the #3 spot.  Probably a money thing according to the below link.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Bolt/Bennie-Fowler-tweets-goodbye-message-to-Broncos-Country-117337686

They are totally revamping their team it seems. Didn't seem like they admired him as much as we are now, but the highlight film is just that. Hopefully he takes the next step here and can give the Bears reason to part with Bellamy.