NFL Draft - Day 2 Thread

DABEARSDABOMB

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I think giving up a 4th to exchange our 2nd next year for a second this year, is a very good deal. You wait and see, he will be moving into the back of the 3rd round and grab a OLB. He is quite the poker player.

I don’t think the Bears should mortgage more picks to do it, but if hey do I only want to see Lorenzo Carter or Arden Key.

4 minutes ago, jason said:

I don’t think the Bears should mortgage more picks to do it, but if hey do I only want to see Lorenzo Carter or Arden Key.

We may luck out like we did with Eddie Jackson and get Arden Key in the 4th who has some questions on injury and off field issues. Still feel they should sit tight here on out. 

I wanted OL at 8 but Nelson was gone love Smith.  IMHbut dumbO.  I think he can do what Singletary did when he was drafted.  Yea different scheme etc.  but still a difference maker and leader on the field

OL addressed in the 2nd round and they added a wr that looks like a burner

I don't watch college football, so have no idea.  But I think they did good with the picks who have a good chance of success in Nagy,s system.      

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

IOL addressed in the 2nd round and they added a wr that looks like a burner

He's not THAT fast. he's in the high 4.4s - hes small too, but what he is is productive, and ultra competitive. He fights for the ball and has excellent hands and body position. In college he had back to back years with over 1,400 yards, and 14 and 18 touchdowns.

7 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

He's not THAT fast. he's in the high 4.4s - hes small too, but what he is is productive, and ultra competitive. He fights for the ball and has excellent hands and body position. In college he had back to back years with over 1,400 yards, and 14 and 18 touchdowns.

They say he is extremely quick in and out of his cuts. 

Peace

28 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

They say he is extremely quick in and out of his cuts. 

Peace

totally. he's quick and shifty, but not a "burner" not a straight line speed kills guy - but plenty twitchy to be good in the slot.

17 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Twitch speed and quickness is more important. Sounds like he is a hell of a route runner with an edge. Loved that article...hopefully he can match that college production in the pros!!!

I agree. I wasnt putting him down, just saying he isnt a "burner"

Riddle me this; Pace does great with pick one getting a super neat kid in Smith.  Then we open day two to find out Pace tried and failed in getting Ridley...a WR.  So when he actually does get his pick he goes with a lower rated interior lineman while Sutton was available one pick later. Then after drafting ANOTHER center (after doing so with Grasu) he trades some draft capital to get back into the second round and get a lower rated WR.  

Sure this center is rated high on zone blocking but wasn’t Grasu highly rated too?  In fact, here’s what Pace said at the time.  Tell me if it sounds familiar:

http://m.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Bears-pick-center-Hroniss-Grasu/be77d5e8-bd8b-4550-9f29-ec8b5d540a54

10 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Riddle me this; Pace does great with pick one getting a super neat kid in Smith.  Then we open day two to find out Pace tried and failed in getting Ridley...a WR.  So when he actually does get his pick he goes with a lower rated interior lineman while Sutton was available one pick later. Then after drafting ANOTHER center (after doing so with Grasu) he trades some draft capital to get back into the second round and get a lower rated WR.  

Sure this center is rated high on zone blocking but wasn’t Grasu highly rated too?  In fact, here’s what Pace said at the time.  Tell me if it sounds familiar:

http://m.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Bears-pick-center-Hroniss-Grasu/be77d5e8-bd8b-4550-9f29-ec8b5d540a54

Hard to judge the grasu pick. He suffered two major injuries so we never really got to see what he could have been. 

11 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

It wasnt much of a trade up - more like taking our next year's 2nd pick early this year. The price to accelerate the pick was a 4th.

So the price wasn't our 2nd next year, that's just the pick we made, the price was one of our 4ths. If hes the slot receiver I think he is, we did well.

Like the positive spin you put on it BFNYC. Like what pace did and can't wait to see what the coaching staff does with this talent.

Daniels is a higher rated player than Sutton. When you criticize you should gain more information in your argument.You have to draft according to the value in front of you. You get in trouble when you reach for players. Here is a former scout rating on his big board.

Scott Wright Draft countdown website

R. Smith is rated 7th overall

James Daniels is rated 17th overall

Sutton is the 37th rated player

Anthony Miller is ranked 67th. Miller is a perfect fit for the Nagy offense. Quick-good route runner- YAC and competitive on the catch.

Many scouts compare his traits similar to Antonio Brown.

Grasu is a failed draft pick. Pace has now had two good drafts but was not great in the beginning. If you watch Grasu on tape, he gets eaten up by big NTs, does not have the lower body strength to maintain blocks. He will be cut this year, so stop mentioning his name like he is in play for playing time.

As far as the trade goes, the only thing it cost us was a 4th round pick. We get a 2nd rounder this year instead of one next year, that is an even trade considering we got a WR that Nagy identifies as a perfect fit for his offense right now instead of a player we may grab next year. 

Pace has been a C- drafter in his first two drafts, last year and this year will end up being very good drafts. 

He is learning on the run and after this year will be looked at more favorably .

So far we have added three starters and two have all pro potential.

Stinger, I’m glad you’re sure with the picks. And even from you I appreciate the explanation.  But the fact remains the majority of his drafts have not panned out completely.  To be fair none of his picks from last year have worked out...yet.  Yes that includes Trubisky and Cohen. So far one player we know has made the measured progress ‘over three years’ and that’s Howard.  And for the record I love the Smith pick just like I loved the Jackson pick last year.

The reason I’m concerned with this oline pick is because I see some similarities to how well Grasu was graded out when he was drafted and he was a third round pick, not second.  Yet two years later here we are, essentially drafting his replacement.  And for what it’s worth, after the pick was made Mayock himself said there were concerns about his knees.  But did admit that Daniels was ‘good in space’ which is key to a zone blocking scheme, but so was Grasu.

The pick of Miller makes some sense considering Nagys potential style offense. But still we lack a SOLID big body WR.  I’m hoping it’ll be either White or Robinson but looking at the last two years, I have reason to pause. 

For me the comfort comes from knowing we have people like Fangio, Hilstrant (sp?) and Ragone on the staff who add not only some consistency to our young team but some respectability in their fields of expertise.  Not to say I don’t like Nagy, I actually am excited to see what he comes up with.   

You yourself said Pace’s draft grade from the first two years was C- and now suddenly you’re convinced he’s better and ‘learning on the fly’.  Again I hesitate in saying he’s done exceptional. 

All indications from all the analysts is this guy is going to be an OLB. WTBS Jones is gone, Freeman is gone and the 2 guys who started the offseason at the top of the depth chart at ILB have durability issues. Timu and Anderson are not getting ringing endorsements with these picks and shouldn't.

Listening to the Pace presser, he indicated that Whitehair was staying at OC and Danials would compete at LG.

• Pixote unpinned this topic