Khalil Mack traded to Bears for 2x 1st Round Picks

Urlacker54

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

My fear is I have long thought Mack is overrated and he is coming off his worse year. Have never seen him as the elite guy the rest of the media world has but hopefully he really is that elite difference maker who can help make our d next level special. He will need to be given the picks plus a contract similar or more to what Aaron Donald just got. 

Let's ask the QBs...     I've seen Mack literally take over a game a couple years ago.  I think it was a game against Denver and there was probably a backup RT in there but he just ran right through and around that man, over and over.  Then he went to the other side of the field and did it against the LT too.    Nobody else on that Raiders Dline was getting pressure.  Now we are going to stand him up next to Akiem Hicks!  Goldman is one slot over.   The ILBs , and even the Safeties, will have a big empty space behind those 3 that they won't have to worry about.  

22 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

My fear is I have long thought Mack is overrated and he is coming off his worse year. Have never seen him as the elite guy the rest of the media world has but hopefully he really is that elite difference maker who can help make our d next level special. He will need to be given the picks plus a contract similar or more to what Aaron Donald just got. 

The Cubs built a winner by pushing several years' value back into one very rich year.

We seem to be doing that in reverse. We've added next year's draft to this year.

Our draft next year:

1) Khalil Mack (and he's not a rookie! he's a known quantity, and he's ready to play)

2) Anthony Miller

we get them for an extra year (now) and we get them with a year's chemistry under their belt next year.

The real price to be paid will be 5 years from now, when all these deals are ending or have ended, and we dont have those 2019 rookies in the pipeline waiting to step up.

But is that really a risk? Miller will be there, a year early is no big deal.

So you gotta make up some depth value either in good drafts of lower picks, or picking up free agents, some time in the next 4 or 5 years.

Seem pretty good to me.

In the NFL, everyone's got the same cap. In fact, if you had an expansion franchise with NO players on the roster, and simply let them start with a completely empty cap, they'd have a shot at ending up with a pretty decent roster. The teams that are in trouble arent those with bad players, theyre those with bad players who are under long terms deals. Like the team Pace inherited with Cutler.

So we've been pretty facile over the past few years, keeping cap room, building, not being too attached.

That ended when we signed Trubisky. Pace is choosing players and locking them in. If these are good players, if this is a good roster, then we are in great shape. If not, then we are stuck again.

So the real question here is simply: is Khalil Mack a good player? Is Trubisky? Is Roquan Smith? Anthony Miller? Robinson and Gabriel? Hicks? Goldman? What about Fuller and Amukamurah?

Ladies and Gents, this is our team now. Go ahead and buy your jerseys because the names aren't going to be changing for a few years.

If you like most of those names, then we are in great shape.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I love the addition, but hate the subtraction. We can justify it however we want, but the reality is we actually give up two first rounders and something.

Yes, we were going to draft an OLB early next year, but it's still lost years on a rookie deal, less money on a rookie deal, and a guy who is going to want to break the bank ASAP.

Ryan Pace is definitely going all in at the moment. The D was top 10, and should be top 5 this year. If the O steps up to middle of the league, this is a team that can threaten to go all the way.

20 minutes ago, jason said:

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I love the addition, but hate the subtraction. We can justify it however we want, but the reality is we actually give up two first rounders and something.

Yes, we were going to draft an OLB early next year, but it's still lost years on a rookie deal, less money on a rookie deal, and a guy who is going to want to break the bank ASAP.

Ryan Pace is definitely going all in at the moment. The D was top 10, and should be top 5 this year. If the O steps up to middle of the league, this is a team that can threaten to go all the way.

All things considered, it is hard to see this as anything but a huge win for the Bears. Mack is literally one of the best players in the league, top 5 on defense for sure. He is going to make the entire defense better, which will take pressure off the offense. I don't know of any pick around #20 or even two of them that would have the same impact. 

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Derp...  not sure why I thought he was from Alabama.  Maybe McClain was who I was thinking of.  Either way... good to know.  Thanks.

One concern I have is he like Smith has been sitting idle for a few weeks and could be delayed in getting on the field.  Or has he been working out on his own?

1 minute ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Derp...  not sure why I thought he was from Alabama.  Maybe McClain was who I was thinking of.  Either way... good to know.  Thanks.

One concern I have is he like Smith has been sitting idle for a few weeks and could be delayed in getting on the field.  Or has he been working out on his own?

Im sure he has been working out. Its the hitting he's missed out. Now with a new team he has to learn a new playbook. 

35 minutes ago, jason said:

As much a nay sayer I’ve been of Pace I think this team is only one, maybe two players away.  Mack makes a Fangio run defense that much better.  Easily top 10 If not better.

im still waiting to see how Nagy does as an HC but there are certainly a lot of potentially good pieces on the offensive side of the ball.  If he manages them like Reid or Peterson has, we’ll be looking pretty sweet.  Trubisky is the unknown.  Is he truly worthy of a 1st round pick?  Time will tell. Alex Smith has always been at least a good game manager (especially with Reid) and he was chosen before Aaron Rodgers. So we should hope for at least that much.  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

He ‘only’ got 10.5 sacks last year which was down from 15 the two years prior.  And he averages in the mid to high 70s in total tackles each year.  And *knock on wood* he has yet to miss a game since he was drafted.  

I think he’ll do fine.  A lot of money and picks yes but I suspect with Vic as his mentor we should be pretty happy in the long run. 

I’m changing my tune a bit and getting more jacked up about this. I wish we had a full offseason with Smith and Mack and the rest of the gang but on paper the D is looking way up. I think they have the ability to be elite..although I still think playoffs will be tough this year due to all the new faces and what I expect to be some up and downs offensively as trubisky develops and the team continues to learn. Long term I think the arrow is pointing up and hopefully the production during the season matches that.

15 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I’m changing my tune a bit and getting more jacked up about this. I wish we had a full offseason with Smith and Mack and the rest of the gang but on paper the D is looking way up. I think they have the ability to be elite..although I still think playoffs will be tough this year due to all the new faces and what I expect to be some up and downs offensively as trubisky develops and the team continues to learn. Long term I think the arrow is pointing up and hopefully the production during the season matches that.

THIS. 

And this:  

Aaron Rodgers looking at the Bears new front seven.....

Embedded video

Lynch would make sense, filling the need at the same position.

Amos is another possibility? White is on the list too.

What if it was only one first rounder and Floyd? I'm not predicting that, but how would people feel about that?

I'm stunned. I didn't actually think the raiders would trade him. Thought they would all just figure it out. But I stoked for this move. Our biggest weak point on defense was a true pass rusher. Mack fills that check box. Takes the pressure off Floyd and because the online will be so busy with mack it opens up the rest of the guys a little more. We have plenty of cap space so no worries there. I'm staying waiting to see what the actual particulars are. But simply your not finding mack in next year's draft in the 15-20 range which is where I think we would have landed. Dude is in his prime and the entire team is very young and good cheap contract

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

He's a veteran and that's a big difference.