Bears at Dolphins Game Thread (12pm CDT, FOX, CHI -3, O/U 42.5)

adam

Here we go, fresh off the bye week, looking to extend to a 4-game winning streak, something we haven't seen with this team since Lovie's last season. 

In Miami, hot weather, tropical storm coming through before the game (hopefully it doesn't linger). 

Miami has lost their last two games 65-24 (NE and CIN), so we should have some chances on both sides of the ball. Ironically, our last two games, we have outscored opponents 64-24. Their leading rusher is Frank Gore, in sort of a 2-headed monster setup with Drake. Neither are very effective. Leading receivers are Stills and Wilson. Tannehill has 5 INTs, has been sacked 11 times and has lost 3 fumbles. Mack should have a field day. There will be opportunities for turnovers. 

I expect an uptick in performance from Smith, now 4 games and a bye under his belt. There should no longer be any holdout rust. 

So I will base the outcome solely on recency bias and giving a few points back for Miami playing at home: Bears 31-13

Also to note, KC (Nagy as OC) beat Miami last year 29-13 (Cutler played QB for Miami, Wilson played for KC).

Didn't think we'd see this in writing.   

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/10/8/17951476/miami-dolphins-cincinnati-bengals-loss-ryan-tannehill-adam-gase-struggling-offense-kicked-in-nuts

"Frank Gore was doing well on the ground and in the second half, the Dolphins completely abandoned the run. This is something we have grown accustomed to with Adam Gase and hope that it will change in the coming weeks. His inability to game-plan within a game is alarming and is why many believe it is time for him to hand play-calling duties over to offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains."

and from the comment section below that article signs of desperation from the fans...

"Given what we have seen the last two weeks from him, do you thin Fales could be much worse?"

Did Miami take all our cast offs? When Gase went there?  The comment section of that article was ironically funny as we've been there and know that pain.  Miami started out hot but they've quickly become a hot mess.  There's a lot of parallels to the not so distant past here in Chicago.  Tannehill is their Cutler, hanging on to a guy who will never be constantly good.  Stuborn play calling, fans already calling for Gase to be fired.  It's not pretty there and we know their pain.  Their plight should serve as a reminder that a good start is just that.  If you don't finish strong it doesn't matter how you started.  They stared 3-0 and could be 3-3 after week 6.  I bet they were pretty high after their 3rd win.   We're 3-1 right now here's hoping we don't have the same reverse of fortunes.  Gotta stay hungry and continue to work hard and stack wins, no room for complacency in our division.  

On 10/10/2018 at 7:44 AM, BearFan2000 said:

Did Miami take all our cast offs? When Gase went there?  The comment section of that article was ironically funny as we've been there and know that pain.  Miami started out hot but they've quickly become a hot mess.  There's a lot of parallels to the not so distant past here in Chicago.  Tannehill is their Cutler, hanging on to a guy who will never be constantly good.  Stuborn play calling, fans already calling for Gase to be fired.  It's not pretty there and we know their pain.  Their plight should serve as a reminder that a good start is just that.  If you don't finish strong it doesn't matter how you started.  They stared 3-0 and could be 3-3 after week 6.  I bet they were pretty high after their 3rd win.   We're 3-1 right now here's hoping we don't have the same reverse of fortunes.  Gotta stay hungry and continue to work hard and stack wins, no room for complacency in our division.  

The most surprising comment on that article was the person who said it was time to see what Fales had to offer.  That's a sign of real desperation for a team that is still 3-2 and really just one bad quarter away from being 4-1.  

Injury report out of Miami (based on what I found on their forums)..

Tannehill showed up on Fri report with shoulder injury.  I have no idea which shoulder but he's questionable for this game but questionable really means little these days.  All i know is that if  he is sore before the game he won't feel better afterward.  

Laremy Tunsil will play.  "The Dolphins are down two starters — center Daniel Kilgore and guard Josh Sitton are both on injured reserve — on the offensive line, so avoiding any other losses is a positive. If Tunsil’s presence helps slow Khalil Mack and the rest of the Bears defense, it will be an even bigger positive."

--- I don't think their fans understand the interior Dline strength we have.  Tunsil won't help one bit with that.  

Cam Wake ..it sounds like he might not play.  "Gase said, via Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, that the team is being “very cautious” with the veteran so that his knee injury doesn’t get worse."  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I don't think their fans understand the interior Dline strength we have.  Tunsil won't help one bit with that.  

The real problem (for them) is that throughout his career Mack rarely sees one on one matchups and if they dare, it doesn’t go well for the opposition.  I get the impression Tunsil isn’t 100% so that really means they’re screwed. 

And yeah, to have half the oline and part of the backfield focusing on Mack means the studs of the interior like Hicks and Goldman will have a field day.

Kinda wish Cutler was still there.  Something tells me they’ll be going to their backup (Fales?) before too long into the game.  

8 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Poor Brock!  With three of his five starting OLmen down can you blame Tannehil for wanting to sit this one out?  

On the Bears side I see Amukamura and Miller are back.  Would have like to seen more Tolliver.  

11 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

This loss is squarely on the D their last two TDS were gifts. We made fruit in Ossweiler and wilson look like superstars. This should never have reached overtime. 

Yeah, but those don't even matter if Trubisky doesn't throw a pick in the end zone and if Howard doesn't fumble going in for a TD. That's 14 points off the board. 

5 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

This loss is squarely on the D their last two TDS were gifts. We made fruit in Ossweiler and wilson look like superstars. This should never have reached overtime. 

I'd say there are equal parts to this loss with big mistakes on both sides of the ball.  My biggest take away is that we have a good QB, a good offense, and a creative play caller who can adapt. 

Trubisky had a few bad plays the most obvious being the INT but those dime throws deep to a tightly covered Gabriel, and the back shoulder fade to Robinson on the sideline show further growth in his skill set.   IMO  his "floor" as an NFL QB just moved up another level and he's starting to move ahead of the Andy Dalton types.  Each week he's been better and if he continues to show growth at this pace throughout the season, and then another offseason in the same offense we could have a very good QB next year.  

This was Eddie Jackson's worst game. 

Defense looked horrible.  No pressure all game. Gave up 2 long TDs to Albert Wilson.  2 turnovers inside the red zone.  With all of that, they still had a chance to win.  Horrible play calling by Nagy in OT.  They needed 1 more 1st down to run the clock all the way down so, if we missed the FG, the Dolphins would not get the ball back. 

Hopefully, they play a lot better next week because the Pats will kill them if they don't. 

Peace

I'm no expert on football,  but on my TV I think Fangio was out coached this week.  And I don't think they ever need another whole week off.  I stream the games and sometimes its herky jerky but maybe this week its just was the way they played.  Never seemed to be in control.  Was Mack used in a completely different roll this week?