Draft plan

jason

Unless the absolute second-coming of Walter Payton is available when the Bears draft at 3.26, they should trade the pick.

Based upon randomness of https://www.first-pick.com/NFL/DraftGame.aspx and the draft trade chart, the Bears should be able to get at least two fourth rounders and something for their third rounder. Or some similar combination.

6 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

Would you trade Jordan Howard for a 4th round pick?

Peace

I would not.  I would equate it to all the talk we've been hearing of Gruden's willingness to part with Mack for a couple 1st round picks.  Mack being a 'generational player' that you can only hope to duplicate in another draft.  Yes he ended up with two 1st round picks in the deal so his chances are better but I can't help think of the 'bird in the hand vs two in the bush' prophecy.

Same with Jordan. We know his capabilities.  He started with back to back 1,000 yard seasons and much to my surprise and despite a slow start to this season, closed out this season with 935 yards rushing.  AND he noticeably became a better receiver out of the backfield during games.  Trading him to hopefully find his replacement to me would be foolhardy. 

I didn't realize he ended up close to 1000 yards this year it sure didn't seem like it during the season.  He was more involved later in the season and perhaps that was in part due to a heavier focus on installing the passing game early on.  I would listen to trade offers but I feel like a 4th rounder is too low.  If we could pick up a late 2nd to early/mid 3rd I'd seriously consider taking it.  But given the improvement's he's made catching the ball and in overall play once he got more opportunity I wouldn't mind us keeping him and with Cohen add another playmaker to the backfield more in the mold of a Hunt.  To give us three quality RB's and let go of Mizzell and Cunningham.  

Outside of Hunt and Bell(neither of which I'd like to bring in), what's going to be out there and are there any interesting RB prospects that might be there when we pick.  

I really like and respect Jordan Howard.

Understand that 2019 is the last year of his current deal, and he may not choose to stay a Bear after that.

I would love to keep him, but the Patriots would probably trade him rather than keep him one more year.

And Hunt might be a real option as a replacement.

15 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

I really like and respect Jordan Howard.

Understand that 2019 is the last year of his current deal, and he may not choose to stay a Bear after that.

I would love to keep him, but the Patriots would probably trade him rather than keep him one more year.

And Hunt might be a real option as a replacement.

No way, no how do the Bears sign Hunt.  

Peace

With Mack money starting you have to be cap conscious.  Howard will make 750 this year. Find me a player making that much money that will be as productive as he was and I will go all in. They got him more involved in the offense as the season progressed.  I think installing the new scheme left his production lack as Grzzy stated. I think we keep him and add to the mix, not subtract because he didn't do as well as the previous 2 seasons that wasn't all on his plate. The oline, new scheme .ABSOLUTELY KEEP HIM 

22 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Would you trade Jordan Howard for a 4th round pick?

Peace

No. I absolutely LOATHE the "we need a RB"-talk. It's not true. The Bears need other positions far more desperately than they need RB. With Howard and Cohen the offensive backfield is relatively stacked. The Bears simply don't need a RB.

15 minutes ago, jason said:

No. I absolutely LOATHE the "we need a RB"-talk. It's not true. The Bears need other positions far more desperately than they need RB. With Howard and Cohen the offensive backfield is relatively stacked. The Bears simply don't need a RB.

Second that.  I’d even make a case that Nall showed enough this preseason to give a look for depth purposes. And Mizzel to simply mix things up in spot duty...should they need. 

I like Howard. If I knew we could resign him for a fair price and keep him going forward I'd be all for it.

But this isn't a running featured team, and the odds are that Howard will want to go somewhere more running back centric after next year.

Then the question becomes whether keeping him for one more year is worth a 4th or 3rd round pick.

If Pace really likes him he should try to extend him this offseason, and if he cant, then he should consider a trade before the draft.

The question here isnt "is Jordan Howard worth a 3rd round pick?" because we all agree he is worth more than that, the question is "is ONE YEAR of Jordan Howard worth a 3rd round draft pick?" and that is a very different question. Answering it correctly is the difference between the Patriots and the pre-Pace Bears.

I would not create another hole by moving someone already on the roster. Howard combined with Cohen make up a pretty formidable pair. If we upgrade at RB, it should be for Mizzell and Cunningham. I would focus in the trenches and secondary. That is where we need the most help.

no one is really answering my question though. Youre all answering the idea of keeping Howard, and I AGREE, if we could keep him, he'd be great to have going forward.

But WHAT IF you KNOW he will be gone after next year? Would you turn down a 3rd round pick to keep him for just one year?

Yes, the Bears are set at RB but I would not rule out them taking another. The Bears are missing out on yards that Howard cannot get up to speed fast enough to gain in the second level. I am not saying Howard isn't worthy, he has averaged over 1K yards his first 3 years, but he is coming into his final year and I would hate to see a rookie being depended on without experience starting the 2020 season. I still think Nall would make a great slash player (RB/FB/TE) and when Burton missed the playoff game Nall would have fit in well as his replacement.

Getting stronger on the oline is also a need and maybe Heistand can help find a gem to replace Massie at RT.   I would not be opposed to seeing Massie signed to a one year type of deal to insure a transition to a draftee or Cowerd goes seamless.  

Defense wise, we do need a couple of DBs.  

7 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

no one is really answering my question though. Youre all answering the idea of keeping Howard, and I AGREE, if we could keep him, he'd be great to have going forward.

But WHAT IF you KNOW he will be gone after next year? Would you turn down a 3rd round pick to keep him for just one year?

I would definitely trade him for a 3rd.  Nagy will use anyone in the lineup to go for one yard.  He would rather have another Cohen in the 4th round.  We've all seen the decline in Howard's use, so why not get someone that can be more productive in our offense.  I'm also in on picking up Kareem Hunt if he vets out.

On 1/8/2019 at 12:25 PM, jason said:

I'm the opposite because I don't see either Mizzell or Cunningham as good 3rd options on the roster.  Cunningham was a good versatile player but he's slowing down now and Mizzell just doesn't offer much in either size/strength or athleticism.  I see no reason to get rid of Howard this year.  Just let his contract play out and draft his replacement in 2020.  This year, I don't care if we draft someone or sign a cheap FA but somewhere we should be able to find a better option for our 3rd RB position that offers more on KRs and special teams coverage, or has some home run speed to help spell Cohen on some plays.  

On 1/12/2019 at 8:48 PM, AZ54 said:

I'm the opposite because I don't see either Mizzell or Cunningham as good 3rd options on the roster.  Cunningham was a good versatile player but he's slowing down now and Mizzell just doesn't offer much in either size/strength or athleticism.  I see no reason to get rid of Howard this year.  Just let his contract play out and draft his replacement in 2020.  This year, I don't care if we draft someone or sign a cheap FA but somewhere we should be able to find a better option for our 3rd RB position that offers more on KRs and special teams coverage, or has some home run speed to help spell Cohen on some plays.  

I agree with the cheap FA comment. Those guys are a dime a dozen.

RB is not a need, upgrading there would be a mi or bump. If BPA turns up a Hunt or Kamaria  , a no brainer but OL has questions ( although I think Coward replaces Massie) but a prospect in line to takes Longs place in case of another injury makes a lot of sense. Ss and CBs are always needed especially with a potential loss of Callahan. Lets say BPA ALIGHNS THIS WAY

3- OL

4- OL

6-SS

7CB

Add RB prospects in PFAs or FAgency

We sighed a OLB out of Canada and Acho will be back with a contract. 

As much as it sounds out of place,I still see us signing Hunt after a rehab assignment. 

How many of NFL players get second chances,  nearly all of them. Nagy could inspire a new family  setting for Hunts future.

4 hours ago, Elgin Slim said:

I think that TJ Yeldon would be a nice flyer for a RB, similar to Thomas Jones way back when. To me, it would seem he fits Nagy's offense like a glove. It makes way too much sense, and he shouldn't be that expensive. 

Didn't Yeldon have some character issues?  Talent wise he'd be a good fit.  I do feel like Howard got more involved and looked more like himself in the second half of the season.  If he can keep that up he's still a good tandem with Cohen.  Now I wouldn't mind replacing Mizzell and Cunningham with a 3rd starter quality back.  I do feel our bigger need in this offseason is OL, CB, Safety, Backup QB, Kicker, and TE.