Fangio Gone

Chitownhustla

Yeah, bittersweet. Highly deserving individual and I wish him nothing but the best. I hope, for our sake, the drop off in defensive play calling doesn't suffer too much. 

Another concern, does new DC have to be a 3-4 guy? I know they play in subs most of the time, but 3-4 vs 4-3 does play a role in player and skill scouting and acquisition. 

Vic's D plays both 3-4 and 4-3 concepts.  I feel like it's not a true 3-4 where it may be rooted in a 3-4 its' a versatile defense.  I feel like we have versatile players.  Hopefully we can find someone that runs a similar system.  I have faith that we'll find someone who will be a better transition than when we went from Rod Marinelli to Mell Sucker.  Either way we need someone who can run a system that gets the most out of our guys.  No need to reinvent the wheel .

Was hoping he'd stay but happy for him to get his shot at a head coaching gig.  He's earned a shot.  

I would have to believe that Ed Donatell would be a top choice to replace Fangio. If you check out his bio on ChicagoBears.com you will see what I mean. He has been with Vic here in Chicago (and in San Francisco, if I'm not mistaken). He has 39 years of coaching experience. He has also been a defensive coordinator in the NFL on several occasions and did a decent job. Now with the additional experience with Fangio as his tutor, I think he is ready for prime time as DC. It would retain continuity and make a seamless transition.

Todd Bowles seems to be a top candidate with ties to Nagy. You would also have to think Gregg Williams is in play with his ties to Pace. I think either would be a great picks. If you are going straight off of character guys, it would hard not to see Bowles as the pick.

From ESPN Website:

Former New York Jets coach Todd Bowles will be joining mentor Bruce Arians as the Tampa Bay Bucaneers' defensive coordinator despite a strong push by the Chicago Bears, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Josina Anderson on Wednesday.

Good Luke to Mr Fangio.  Have not heard if any of his asst. will be going with him.  But would not be disappointed to get a DC who might bring a little more heat every now and then.  Not crazy like a Ryan but somewhere in between.  The Bears D got statistically better when Buddy left until Marshall left.  Excited to see where this D goes next year.

I am happy for him. What we have to realize,  once you have success,  these things happen all the time.  That's why it's great to have Nagy in place,  the offensive minds are in demand.  Donatelli is buddies with Fangio so I can see Vic taking him with him. I suggest the Bears offer him the job with a big pay check as soon as possibly. It would be the best scenario to continue our success with this defense. Remember we have the personal going forward so that should attract qualified candidates. 

6 hours ago, Pixote said:

I would have to believe that Ed Donatell would be a top choice to replace Fangio. If you check out his bio on ChicagoBears.com you will see what I mean. He has been with Vic here in Chicago (and in San Francisco, if I'm not mistaken). He has 39 years of coaching experience. He has also been a defensive coordinator in the NFL on several occasions and did a decent job. Now with the additional experience with Fangio as his tutor, I think he is ready for prime time as DC. It would retain continuity and make a seamless transition.

Seems like the likely choice. Keeps the synergy. Good luck to Vic.

I'm glad Vic got his chance to be a HC.  I wish it was a better scenario.  The last thing I'd want is the GMs best friend stuck as my OC.  Elway is on the hot seat right now.  If things start to get wobbly players will know they have a back door channel to the GM.  

I'd be good with Donatelli or a quality outside hire.  We have loads of talent on the D and they finished the reg season as the top D in many categories.  This is a place that should attract a high quality coordinator.  Don would be the most seamless transition.   But this is a great situation for either a top tier guy or an up and coming coach.  Like Stinger said this kind of thing comes with having a successful team.  Other teams will look to poach our staff.  Happened with Gase.  I also have to think that this hasn't totally caught Pace by surprise.  Vic's been on teams radars in the past.  I have a feeling he and Nagy keep an eye on the landscape in case a coordinator or position coach does need to be replaced.  

Our defensive talent offers a lot of potential for a coach to come in here and run with it.  This isn't like when Rod left and we brought in Tucker and the inmates started to run the asylum.  That's what I don't want to see.  I don't want someone to come in and be afraid to make changes, or do things differently, or put his stamp on the D.  Even Donatelli would likely do some things differently but the overall philosophy would likely remain in tact.  It is an opportunity to bring someone in that might get more out of the talent we have possibly more aggressive in getting pressure.