A defensive focused draft?

jason

Let's say Pace and Nagy think their best chance to remain employed is to improve defense. The weaknesses are Nichols, Urban, and Quinn, IMHO. Would something like this draft turn the tide?

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 20: Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama (A) - Urban on the bench
Round 2 Pick 20: Dylan Moses, ILB/OLB, Alabama (A) - Utility knife on D
Round 3 Pick 19: Tommy Togiai, DT, Ohio State (A) - Pressures Nichols to start
Round 5 Pick 20: Joshua Kaindoh, DE/OLB, Florida State (A+) - Super long, pressures Quinn to start
Round 6 Pick 20: Jake Curhan, OT, California (A+) - I had to do it
Round 6 Pick 34 (COMP): Warren Jackson, WR, Colorado State (A+) - Huge upside, underrated
Round 6 Pick 39 (COMP): Shemar Jean-Charles, CB, Appalachian State (A+) - Could fit nicely at nickle
Round 7 Pick 4: Zach Smith, QB, Tulsa (B+) - I actually think this dude is a huge sleeper at QB

Could they win with D and ball control on offense? It may be easier to do quickly than by trying to improve the offense. If I were Pace/Nagy, I'd be thinking this.

Wow, no Oline until the 6th round?  Are you sure your account hasn’t been hacked?

I would think at this point Trvevathan is more a weakness than either Urban or Nichols are (and I live Danny).  But I see you addressed the ILB position in the second and with a Bama guy no doubt - nice.  

If we’re only focusing on defense I’d think they might want to look at a FS type player (I don’t know where from yet) just to lite a fire under Jackson a bit. He’s gotten a bit lax this last season especially.  Maybe if he thought they were looking to replace him he’d get back to his 2018 self.  

14 hours ago, jason said:

Let's say Pace and Nagy think their best chance to remain employed is to improve defense. The weaknesses are Nichols, Urban, and Quinn, IMHO. Would something like this draft turn the tide?

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 20: Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama (A) - Urban on the bench
Round 2 Pick 20: Dylan Moses, ILB/OLB, Alabama (A) - Utility knife on D
Round 3 Pick 19: Tommy Togiai, DT, Ohio State (A) - Pressures Nichols to start
Round 5 Pick 20: Joshua Kaindoh, DE/OLB, Florida State (A+) - Super long, pressures Quinn to start
Round 6 Pick 20: Jake Curhan, OT, California (A+) - I had to do it
Round 6 Pick 34 (COMP): Warren Jackson, WR, Colorado State (A+) - Huge upside, underrated
Round 6 Pick 39 (COMP): Shemar Jean-Charles, CB, Appalachian State (A+) - Could fit nicely at nickle
Round 7 Pick 4: Zach Smith, QB, Tulsa (B+) - I actually think this dude is a huge sleeper at QB

Could they win with D and ball control on offense? It may be easier to do quickly than by trying to improve the offense. If I were Pace/Nagy, I'd be thinking this.

Goldman is coming back, Nichols did not hold up well at NT but did well in the DT situations. Many praised him for that this year. Urban played well. I think we need a DT but because I think Hicks might be cut , not because the DL was terrible. If we need anything on defense, its another ILB, SS and CB. Our depth is not good in those areas. 

15 hours ago, jason said:

I wouldn't mind that for 2022, but not this year.  We gotta get 2 OL, WR, and RB.

If we did go that route: What about a thumper like Rhemondre Stevenson?  If you want ball control you need two backs to keep the mill grinding.

8 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Wow, no Oline until the 6th round?  Are you sure your account hasn’t been hacked?

I would think at this point Trvevathan is more a weakness than either Urban or Nichols are (and I live Danny).  But I see you addressed the ILB position in the second and with a Bama guy no doubt - nice.  

If we’re only focusing on defense I’d think they might want to look at a FS type player (I don’t know where from yet) just to lite a fire under Jackson a bit. He’s gotten a bit lax this last season especially.  Maybe if he thought they were looking to replace him he’d get back to his 2018 self.  

I'm not saying it's my preference, but if I were Pace/Nagy, I'd be thinking about a quick turnaround for job security. This team is not going to be very good on offense next year, regardless of the moves they make. But the pieces on defense are a lot better and can carry the team if the right moves are made.

Hicks - Goldman - Barrimore: Could be an elite front three that leads to huge success in the 2nd/3rd level.

Following your logic but don’t understand drafting Two DT’s in the first three Picks? Why not take the best cover slot DB or S in the 3rd Round to sure up the secondary? 

I disagree on your assessment of Bilal Nichols and Brent Urban they made plays all year. DT is a strength especially with Goldman back next season.

My Preference would be to make a move into the 12 - 20 pick range for Mac Jones or trade back and take two OT’s early and then best player available at WR, LB, Edge, S, CB, QB.  Fixing the O-Line would pay immediate dividends.  Imagine if the offense Line was able to sustain drives which would keep the defensive fresh thus having a greater impact on the entire team. We know how continuing down the same path of investing disproportionately to the defense while ignoring the offensive line leads to mediocracy. The trenches after all are where games are won or lost!

21 hours ago, ParkerBear7 said:

Following your logic but don’t understand drafting Two DT’s in the first three Picks? Why not take the best cover slot DB or S in the 3rd Round to sure up the secondary? 

I disagree on your assessment of Bilal Nichols and Brent Urban they made plays all year. DT is a strength especially with Goldman back next season.

My Preference would be to make a move into the 12 - 20 pick range for Mac Jones or trade back and take two OT’s early and then best player available at WR, LB, Edge, S, CB, QB.  Fixing the O-Line would pay immediate dividends.  Imagine if the offense Line was able to sustain drives which would keep the defensive fresh thus having a greater impact on the entire team. We know how continuing down the same path of investing disproportionately to the defense while ignoring the offensive line leads to mediocracy. The trenches after all are where games are won or lost!

I agree about OL helping, but I don’t see it turning around the offense enough to make the team very good in ONE year. This is a “save your job” move for Pace and Nagy.

As for DL being a strength, we just disagree. Compared to the other positions, that’s where the most help is needed. Maybe 1 OLB, maybe 1 ILB, maybe a FS.

Goldman? I agree, if he stays on the field. If not, next man up, and Nichols is not the man. 

15 hours ago, ParkerBear7 said:

Jason, You probably watch more college ball than I do so curious to what you think of Mac Jones?

Not only do I watch a ton of college football, but I live in Alabama. I may be biased. I love Mac Jones. I think he'll potentially be the best QB of the entire draft. He is not flashy, but he's very accurate, very composed, big game player, great leader, innate pocket presence, and makes great decisions. In my opinion he's being overlooked in favor of some of the others.

If the Bears were to go the QB route, I would hope that Mac Jones falls to the Bears at their current position. Unfortunately, he's not flashy, so he's probably not even on the Nagy/Pace radar.

1 hour ago, ParkerBear7 said:

Thanks Jason and I agree with your assessment. I’ve watched several Jones highlights videos and I really want him in the first round and a left Tackle in Round 2. 

I lean on this too.  I said in a different thread if we trade for Wentz we have to weigh it amongst the other option QBs who might be available.  Most drafts have Jones and Trask, with Jones going around 19 before the Bears.  Would it be worth a 4th RD to move up a few slots to nab Jones? Jones supposedly has the highest QBR of all the prospects.  By the time the draft gets here, he will probably climb to the 10 or 12th slot though.  I would take Jones over Wentz because he is raw and you are to blame if you make him well done 🥩  

We could still draft a 2nd RD OT and 3rd WR or DT.  Then 6th RD 2 DBs ,(wr/dt), RB.  Our cap wouldn't be as strapped either with Wentz. 

20 hours ago, jason said:

Not only do I watch a ton of college football, but I live in Alabama. I may be biased. I love Mac Jones. I think he'll potentially be the best QB of the entire draft. He is not flashy, but he's very accurate, very composed, big game player, great leader, innate pocket presence, and makes great decisions. In my opinion he's being overlooked in favor of some of the others.

If the Bears were to go the QB route, I would hope that Mac Jones falls to the Bears at their current position. Unfortunately, he's not flashy, so he's probably not even on the Nagy/Pace radar.

Thanks for the analysis. I thought he was being overlooked because of the talent around him. 

Peace

On 2/12/2021 at 3:18 PM, jason said:

I would not mind the Bears drafting him at #20. Especially if Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson are off the board. I would take Jones over Fields and Wilson too.