Bears sign Andy Dalton per the score. Foles 2.0

BearFan2000

13 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

these two are already past the threshold of getting fired, so at this point it's just piling on to the already dismal record LOL

I hope we pick a rookie QB, and accidentally choose a really good one.

With all these trash moves to make up for Paces mistakes, wait and see , they will go 11-6 and win a playoff spot to keep there jobs and piss us all off.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in the UK and have listened to various media outlets since the start of free agency especially the criticism of signing Andy Dalton. 

I decided to look at a few of Dallas’ games and considering him being in a similar situation to Nick Foles in getting adjusted to a new offensive system I felt his performances were superior. 

Considering the injuries and poor play that Dallas had on their oline Dalton performed quite well and their porous defense didn’t help their ability to win or stay in games. 

What I saw from Dalton was a quarterback who is safe with the ball and able to put the ball in the correct place on timing routes. Dalton also can get the ball down the field. 

From what I saw is he Russell Wilson the answer is no.

Is he better than Trubisky and Foles I think the answer is yes and he may turn out to be better than any quarterback we have had in years and including Cutler. 

The one hope I have is the Dalton may enable the Bears in the draft to take the best player available and not over reach for a quarterback.

8 minutes ago, 50england50 said:

I live in the UK and have listened to various media outlets since the start of free agency especially the criticism of signing Andy Dalton. 

I decided to look at a few of Dallas’ games and considering him being in a similar situation to Nick Foles in getting adjusted to a new offensive system I felt his performances were superior. 

Considering the injuries and poor play that Dallas had on their oline Dalton performed quite well and their porous defense didn’t help their ability to win or stay in games. 

What I saw from Dalton was a quarterback who is safe with the ball and able to put the ball in the correct place on timing routes. Dalton also can get the ball down the field. 

From what I saw is he Russell Wilson the answer is no.

Is he better than Trubisky and Foles I think the answer is yes and he may turn out to be better than any quarterback we have had in years and including Cutler. 

The one hope I have is the Dalton may enable the Bears in the draft to take the best player available and not over reach for a quarterback.

Yes, while Trubisky cant read a Defense, Dalton has a weak arm and isnt a threat to run. Daltons delivery is slow and he looks to heave the ball with his whole body, and the velocity is still really slow after all that effort. And it takes time to deliver a ball with that much motion, and is impossible with someone hanging on you. BUT Dalton reads defenses a lot better than Trubisky does. If you keep the pocket clean (lol) and get guys open with good route running, he can be serviceable - but then again so can a lot of guys.

Hes not special, but he is definitely smart and knows the game.

41 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

That right there.  ^^

Although I think 50 is onto something.  I was repeating what I believe Adam found that he and Cutler were pretty comparable in stats (11 years Cutler vs 9 for Dalton) over their respective careers and he's smart enough to put the ball in the right place.  About as mobile as Brady but not nearly as careless as Trubisky or Winston.  

34 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

Yes, while Trubisky cant read a Defense, Dalton has a weak arm and isnt a threat to run. Daltons delivery is slow and he looks to heave the ball with his whole body, and the velocity is still really slow after all that effort. And it takes time to deliver a ball with that much motion, and is impossible with someone hanging on you. BUT Dalton reads defenses a lot better than Trubisky does. If you keep the pocket clean (lol) and get guys open with good route running, he can be serviceable - but then again so can a lot of guys.

Regarding Dalton weak arm look at the Ravens game. He threw a Hail Mary from about the 40 yard line and easily reached the end zone and Lamb should have caught it.

He rolled out numerous times and didn’t look immobile and certainly not as statuesque as Foles.

From what I saw he is an improvement on Foles and if he has a good season is young enough to be the Bears starter for 4 to 6 years.   

If that is the case we can focus and drafting in the positions of most importance which is the offensive and defensive lines and especially this year a left tackle to replace Leno. 

33 minutes ago, 50england50 said:

Regarding Dalton weak arm look at the Ravens game. He threw a Hail Mary from about the 40 yard line and easily reached the end zone and Lamb should have caught it.

He rolled out numerous times and didn’t look immobile and certainly not as statuesque as Foles.

From what I saw he is an improvement on Foles and if he has a good season is young enough to be the Bears starter for 4 to 6 years.   

If that is the case we can focus and drafting in the positions of most importance which is the offensive and defensive lines and especially this year a left tackle to replace Leno. 

Im not really talking about distance, but velocity. If you even watch his highlights from last season you see he has to put a LOT of body behind each throw (no flick of the wrist like Wilson) and the ball moves slow, its easy to see. BUT he is smart, and knows how to read a defense. If Nady is a magic offensive guru, maybe Dalton can execute and it'll look amazing.

But I wouldnt put a ton of money on that.

20 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

There are very few flick of the wrist QBs that can get it 50 yards. If your arm is strong enough to get it there then it all come down to timing the throw.

yes, but if it takes you longer to wind up and heave it, then you have to make decisions even earlier, youre more at the mercy of pressure when you do throw, becasue contact can cause interceptions, and the ball velocity is still slow, so you need to do everything even faster.

Have you seen tape on Dalton, watched him throw? He looks like he's throwing a bowling ball.

Again, My biggest problem with the Dalton signing is that it was a year late. Pace could have signed AD for $3m or whatever bargain deal the Cowboys were able to in 2020. This would of preserved our 2021 4th rounder that he traded away to Jacksonville for Foles; who would have never been a Bear and Pace would never had to sign him to an extension to spread out the cap hit last year. This could have also provided Pace the opportunity to restructure and extend Fuller to a fair deal while spreading out the 2021 cap hit. So many mistakes by this Front Office that have had ripples of consequences. 

I don’t think the Bears were in a position to sign Andy Dalton last year because until they drafted Joe Barrow he wasn’t available. 

The Bears may have been able to trade for Dalton but the Bengals could have been asking for more than a 4th round pick prior to the draft. Pace or Nagy wouldn’t have been prepared to wait that long. Pace likes to get his free agent class signed well before the draft so he can take the best player available although this hasn’t always worked out and especially in the early rounds.

The issue with Fuller is a different matter. I don’t think he was worth paying 20 million this year and because of our cap problems was likely to be moved. Fuller was a good player but not worth that much and hasn’t intercepted the ball enough recently. I don’t know if it’s scheme but I hated how far Fuller would sit off the wide receiver at the line of scrimmage. We will need to see the play of his replacement to see how much Fuller is missed.

I do think the Bears need to make an evaluation of how the cap has got this bad. I think Cliff Stein used to do the contracts back in the day and was viewed as being good at this role. Maybe the cap will always go from having lots of space and then being tight and needing to release players. The contract I think that is going to hurt us going forward is Mack’s and because this has been renegotiated twice already is going to be restrictive done the line. 

The reason why this cap crunch has happened is not what Pace has done with contracts but, what the pandemic did to cause the NFL as a whole to lose revenue and causing the cap to decrease instead of increase like it has done yearly. No GM signed contracts anticipating that to happen. The Bears aren't the only team releasing high priced veterans.

4 hours ago, 50england50 said:

I don’t think the Bears were in a position to sign Andy Dalton last year because until they drafted Joe Barrow he wasn’t available. 

The Bears may have been able to trade for Dalton but the Bengals could have been asking for more than a 4th round pick prior to the draft. Pace or Nagy wouldn’t have been prepared to wait that long. Pace likes to get his free agent class signed well before the draft so he can take the best player available although this hasn’t always worked out and especially in the early rounds.

The issue with Fuller is a different matter. I don’t think he was worth paying 20 million this year and because of our cap problems was likely to be moved. Fuller was a good player but not worth that much and hasn’t intercepted the ball enough recently. I don’t know if it’s scheme but I hated how far Fuller would sit off the wide receiver at the line of scrimmage. We will need to see the play of his replacement to see how much Fuller is missed.

I do think the Bears need to make an evaluation of how the cap has got this bad. I think Cliff Stein used to do the contracts back in the day and was viewed as being good at this role. Maybe the cap will always go from having lots of space and then being tight and needing to release players. The contract I think that is going to hurt us going forward is Mack’s and because this has been renegotiated twice already is going to be restrictive done the line. 

2018 happened so a bunch of defensive players got paid big contracts because of it. Hicks, Goldman,  EJAC,  Fuller.  Also that is the year we added a huge contract in Mack. In one respect , they paid there players but now the covid dropped the cap ( as Lemonej pointed out) so all these contracts become a problem. Pace screwed up the QB room and had to bring in below average QBs to fix the problem.  Dalton will be better but no big deal. 

Pace may have drafted the wrong quarterback but I can’t see how the Bears would have been in a position to sign Trubisky to a franchise quarterback contract if he was the best quarterback of his draft class. Maybe if Trubisky had played par or better than Mahoney the Bears may not have signed Mack. 

If you look at Dalton and Foles’ contracts the quarterback room is still be paid well below the going rate. 

My hope is that Desai turns the defense back to the 2018 class, we run the ball well and Dalton is able to perform at a level that enables the Bears to beat the class teams in the NFC and we beat the Packers twice. 

41 minutes ago, 50england50 said:

Pace may have drafted the wrong quarterback but I can’t see how the Bears would have been in a position to sign Trubisky to a franchise quarterback contract if he was the best quarterback of his draft class. Maybe if Trubisky had played par or better than Mahoney the Bears may not have signed Mack. 

If you look at Dalton and Foles’ contracts the quarterback room is still be paid well below the going rate. 

My hope is that Desai turns the defense back to the 2018 class, we run the ball well and Dalton is able to perform at a level that enables the Bears to beat the class teams in the NFC and we beat the Packers twice. 

they would have had him play his 5th year option this year, and extend him for next year.

They could also have given him a bunch of money up front, which amortizes over the length of the contract, and had a lower salary if they needed to keep Mack ro someone under the cap for a super bowl window.

14 hours ago, 50england50 said:

What made 2018 so special is the TOs and we will probably never see that again but an increase would help a lot.

On 3/19/2021 at 5:25 AM, Stinger226 said:

With all these trash moves to make up for Paces mistakes, wait and see , they will go 11-6 and win a playoff spot to keep there jobs and piss us all off.

Aka “The Lovie Special”

On 3/23/2021 at 10:22 PM, ParkerBear7 said:

Again, My biggest problem with the Dalton signing is that it was a year late. Pace could have signed AD for $3m or whatever bargain deal the Cowboys were able to in 2020. This would of preserved our 2021 4th rounder that he traded away to Jacksonville for Foles; who would have never been a Bear and Pace would never had to sign him to an extension to spread out the cap hit last year. This could have also provided Pace the opportunity to restructure and extend Fuller to a fair deal while spreading out the 2021 cap hit. So many mistakes by this Front Office that have had ripples of consequences. 

Precisely. But Pace loves to throw around draft picks like his bench is full of pro bowlers, so that draft pick is meaningless to him. 

Come on guys. It was during a pandemic and the Bears got Foles on the roster on March 18th, a month before the draft. Dalton was not available at that time. Dalton was released from Bengals on April 30th (after they drafted Burrow) and signed with the Cowboys on May 2nd.

Sure, the plandemic was an issue. But I’m sure most NFL front offices around the league probably knew the Bengals would draft Burrow and eventually cut Dalton. Foles may have known the KC offense but is about as elusive as a scare crow; just a terrible fit for Nagy’s scheme! But then again, 90% percent of his play calls are bubble screens.  Point is Pace has a track record of making some good moves but also has a history of getting trade raped!  Ultimately, I expected more from Pace coming from the respectful Saints organization as they are competitive most years.  Nagy is too gimmicky in his play calling and needs to put his players in the best position to succeed.  Pace needs to have a great draft this year or else it’s going to be a long time before the Bears will be in the playoffs again!

You can't go back and say what if.  Trubisky was a mistake.  Foles was not the fix. Next year we will say Dalton isn't.  You just have to play the hand dealt.  Pace put us in a hole and it will take a few years to dig out.  You shoot for the stars and when you miss sometimes the rocket comes back and kicks your ass   Is this staff the one to fix. Most likely not

12 hours ago, ParkerBear7 said:

Sure, the plandemic was an issue. But I’m sure most NFL front offices around the league probably knew the Bengals would draft Burrow and eventually cut Dalton. Foles may have known the KC offense but is about as elusive as a scare crow; just a terrible fit for Nagy’s scheme! But then again, 90% percent of his play calls are bubble screens.  Point is Pace has a track record of making some good moves but also has a history of getting trade raped!  Ultimately, I expected more from Pace coming from the respectful Saints organization as they are competitive most years.  Nagy is too gimmicky in his play calling and needs to put his players in the best position to succeed.  Pace needs to have a great draft this year or else it’s going to be a long time before the Bears will be in the playoffs again!

So why would the Bengals hold onto him that long? So you are going to risk passing on Foles, then not drafting a QB, to hope that the Bengals will release Dalton and hope he will sign with you? Come on. For one, that is way too many unknowns to deal with. Second, if the Bears did that, Dalton would've had all the leverage. So again, there is no way they were waiting on the chance to sign Dalton over trading for Foles when they did.

11 hours ago, Bill said:

You can't go back and say what if.  Trubisky was a mistake.  Foles was not the fix. Next year we will say Dalton isn't.  You just have to play the hand dealt.  Pace put us in a hole and it will take a few years to dig out.  You shoot for the stars and when you miss sometimes the rocket comes back and kicks your ass   Is this staff the one to fix. Most likely not

Bill, so before last season, what did you think of the team?

I felt pretty good, even without Goldman playing. So this year, with even marginally better QB play, and basically the same team with some slight upgrades across the board, we may actually be a better team overall. On offense, the O-Line play during the loss streak was brutal, that has been addressed. Cohen was lost so the team was going to CPat way too much. Cohen is back, they added Williams, who is probably the best RB2 the team has ever had, and they Nagy is unable to hand off to CPat on 3rd and 1 for a loss of 3 anymore.

On defense, they lost Fuller, which is huge, but gained a few pieces and have Goldman back. So with 3 picks in the top 100 for the first time in a while, they should be able to bring in 3 starters from the draft.