Today's Presser

Mongo3451

Haven't we heard this song and dance before?  At one time Glennon was the starting QB until he wasn't.  And Pace promised to draft QB's every year...and hasn't.  What he says doesn't have a lot of credence to it.  I am concerned to hear Nagy will be back to play-calling. Especially since we were led to believe part of why they got Dalton was his familiarity with Lazor. 

Sorry can get font right.  but the most stunning quote.

.The 102 receptions were the sixth most in the NFL last year and tied for the second most in Bears history. Robinson was one of only five players in the league with at least 102 catches, 1,250 yards and six TDs, joining the Bills' Stefon Diggs, the Cardinals' DeAndre Hopkins, the Packers' Davante Adams and the Chiefs' Travis Kelce.

And he had Foles and Mitch trowing him the ball!!!

10 hours ago, Bill said:

Sorry can get font right.  but the most stunning quote.

.The 102 receptions were the sixth most in the NFL last year and tied for the second most in Bears history. Robinson was one of only five players in the league with at least 102 catches, 1,250 yards and six TDs, joining the Bills' Stefon Diggs, the Cardinals' DeAndre Hopkins, the Packers' Davante Adams and the Chiefs' Travis Kelce.

And he had Foles and Mitch trowing him the ball!!!

ARob is the only receiver with 150 targets the last two years as well.

So they are going out in a blaze of glory, either this will work or both will be out of jobs after this season. The worst case is they end up at 8-9 or 9-8, right there at the edge of the playoffs.

Nagy is clearly saying that Mitch was the problem. Pace is just an idiot at this point. Without his ridiculous contracts, we could have Fuller and not have Quinn and Graham for the same price.

I suspect if Nagy's job is on the line this year, why wouldnt you want to run the show? That's' what I would do. IT fails or succeeds and that will determine the results. We all see a team that blows up with Pace and Nagy, but something will happen and they will go 11-7 and make the playoffs and fall back in the average team again.

For example what if:  Trufant doesnt get injured and plays well .

Quinn plays up to his contract and has 9 sacks this year.

Mack has a great year and gets 12 sacksl

Kmet breaks out and goes 57- 677 with 6 TDs

Montgomery goes for 1412 rushing yards with 245 receiving yards with 10 TDs

Dalton has a 3900 yards- 67% with 27 TDs and 11 picks. 

This team is average in my opinion but if a few things go right, they could have a winning season.

56 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I suspect if Nagy's job is on the line this year, why wouldnt you want to run the show? That's' what I would do. IT fails or succeeds and that will determine the results. We all see a team that blows up with Pace and Nagy, but something will happen and they will go 11-7 and make the playoffs and fall back in the average team again.

This team is average in my opinion but if a few things go right, they could have a winning season.

Yes. This is absolutely possible.

The question that should be asked (and isnt being asked) isn't whether we are improving, but instead, does this group have a chance to win a Super Bowl?

And the answer is no.

For decades we have seen the cycle - the team goes 5-11, then has an easier schedule the next year, goes 9-7, maybe win some coaching awards for the big turnaround. THen with a stronger schedule, we are 6-10 again, and repeat.

This is the life cycle of a mediocre team. An 8-8 team in the abstract, that can beat the bad teams, but cannot repeatedly defeat the good ones.

And for decades we've seen Bears ownership reward it, and then after a second cycle, replace it with more mediocrity.

Nagy, getting in as the 7th seed on an 8-8 record is not a reason to keep you around. Going 10-7 this year with an early playoff exit is NOT growth.

grrrr

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

If they go 11-7 in a 17-game season, that would be wild! :)

For Nagy, if your job is on the line, wouldn't you do whatever it took to be successful or go back to something that didn't work as long as you were in charge? My problem with Nagy is he has had enough QBs (Trubisky, Foles, Daniel) start a game to know that he was part of the problem. So if Dalton is an upgrade, why not use the best play-caller too?

The scary part about your scenario is most of that needs to happen for the Bears to have ANY chance at making the playoffs. The defense needs more pressure than they had last year, especially from Edge; Kmet needs to improve, and Dalton has to be at least slightly better than Folebisky, Trufant can't be a huge dropoff from Fuller, and we can't afford injuries up the middle (Hicks, Smith, Jackson).

So if they make the playoffs and lose, isnt that 11-7 or is my math bad?  If all of those happened they would have a better record than 11-7. It seems like everyone is writing off the D with the only change so far being Fuller gone. I didnt think Skrines play was so good he cant be replaced by someone that could do as good. They still have some signings to do and a draft., After that we can make a true determination of a potential record. Right now they only need to sign Gibson back to be pretty close to the same D we had., AROB is coming back, we have a better projected OL than the start of last year, and Dalton should be better than a Foles led O. Kmet should take a step forward and Mooney should surely be better. Cohen is back and Williams should add to the room. I think I can say this is a better team already than last year with some adds to go.

I gotta tell it like it is.  A winning record is a winning record. 

If we don't draft a QB and use this season to get the OL and cap right, and come out with a winning record:  I'm freaking ecstatic!  Everyone needs to recognize that if that indeed happens, that is a big deal for the future and a clear sign they've matured as a leadership tandem.

18 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I gotta tell it like it is.  A winning record is a winning record. 

If we don't draft a QB and use this season to get the OL and cap right, and come out with a winning record:  I'm freaking ecstatic!  Everyone needs to recognize that if that indeed happens, that is a big deal for the future and a clear sign they've matured as a leadership tandem.

I dunno, safely being able to deliver a 9-8 season, and being able to ever deliver a Super Bowl are two really different things.

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

I dunno, safely being able to deliver a 9-8 season, and being able to ever deliver a Super Bowl are two really different things.

I dont think anyone thinks this team is a SB contender and that they have to be for N and P to keep their jobs. The reality is if they show progress, not my opinion, George McCaskeys. If Pace gets 3 or 4 players that make a contribution this year from the draft and a QB prospect, he probably will keep his job.(if they have a winning record)

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I dont think anyone thinks this team is a SB contender and that they have to be for N and P to keep their jobs. The reality is if they show progress, not my opinion, George McCaskeys. If Pace gets 3 or 4 players that make a contribution this year from the draft and a QB prospect, he probably will keep his job.(if they have a winning record)

yeah I wont make the same mistake again this year. Im saying how it should be, and youre saying hoe McCaskey sees it. We are both right. Nagy is not going to get us a Super Bowl, and some incremental progress might well be enough for McCaskey to keep them around.

Youre predicting whether they will keep their jobs, Im saying whether they SHOULD keep their jobs. :)

7 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

yeah I wont make the same mistake again this year. Im saying how it should be, and youre saying hoe McCaskey sees it. We are both right. Nagy is not going to get us a Super Bowl, and some incremental progress might well be enough for McCaskey to keep them around.

Youre predicting whether they will keep their jobs, Im saying whether they SHOULD keep their jobs. :)

Im on your side , I think Pace should have been gone this year, the problem is the only persons that opinions count is the McCaskey's' When the final verdict came down on the MT pick, that minute Pace should have been fired. Nagy probably deserves to get this year because of him not having who he wants but he is not headed in the right direction. 

14 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

So if they make the playoffs and lose, isnt that 11-7 or is my math bad?  If all of those happened they would have a better record than 11-7. It seems like everyone is writing off the D with the only change so far being Fuller gone. I didnt think Skrines play was so good he cant be replaced by someone that could do as good. They still have some signings to do and a draft., After that we can make a true determination of a potential record. Right now they only need to sign Gibson back to be pretty close to the same D we had., AROB is coming back, we have a better projected OL than the start of last year, and Dalton should be better than a Foles led O. Kmet should take a step forward and Mooney should surely be better. Cohen is back and Williams should add to the room. I think I can say this is a better team already than last year with some adds to go.

Oh no, I was just messing with you. So you are saying 11-6 (which would be really awesome considering the schedule), then one and done in the playoffs. That would be a success, because once you are in the playoffs, it's a crapshoot from there.

I think this team, overall, is better than 2020. Goldman is huge (no pun intended), he was a Pro Bowl DT. I like our Edge plays with the addition of Attaochu. Damien Williams as RB2 is a nice upgrade and may be the best RB2 we have ever had. With a 17 game grind, I can see him getting a good amount of touches. You also have to consider Cohen is back. That is 3 upgrades on offense from 2020 if you add Dalton in there.

So the big holes are Fuller and Gipson, if the Bears can fill those, or if Trufant is serviceable and they get another Safety, the defense will be as good as it was in 2020. You also have to consider Vildor and Shelley, who both got extended playing time at the end of the season. If Shelley can be better than Skrine (who was terrible), I think we will be ok there.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Im on your side , I think Pace should have been gone this year, the problem is the only persons that opinions count is the McCaskey's' When the final verdict came down on the MT pick, that minute Pace should have been fired. Nagy probably deserves to get this year because of him not having who he wants but he is not headed in the right direction. 

Yup - I know we agree, and have for a long time.

I get the idea that MT was bad and his choice wasn't Nagy's fault. But there is so much that Nagy has screwed up too.

Either way, you're right, they did get this year. And one wonders whether they were told that they might get more than that if they "show improvement"

To me, this is a clear indictment of the McCaskeys at this point. I've been a kool aid drinking optimistic Bears fan for many decades. In my regular life I am upbeat, positive, optimistic - Im not the kind to look on the dark side of things. But this has gotten so bad now, I want to give up on the team and pick a new one. In fact i have decided to do that, and I am finding that my heart won't let go. So I guess I'm stuck here. They don't deserve us, our interest etc. They really don't, but I don't think I can really walk away. Maybe I just won't watch. Eh thats a lie too. Dammit.

On 4/2/2021 at 11:12 AM, Mongo3451 said:

Here it is, in a nutshell.  Pace made Andy Dalton sound like the next Tom Brady and Nagy will resume play calling duties because Dalton is good enough to run the plays that are called from his back.

In some ways - it isn't wrong.  Trubisky and Foles were not good. Foles was worse - Trubisky was a bit better due to his athleticism, but he wasn't breaking down defenses on the regular.  Nagy has consistently had BAD QB play.  Maybe it is him and his playbook, etc...maybe it is fact he has his hands tied by lousy QB's.  See Shanny in San Fran - only so much you can do without having a real good QB.  

5 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

In some ways - it isn't wrong.  Trubisky and Foles were not good. Foles was worse - Trubisky was a bit better due to his athleticism, but he wasn't breaking down defenses on the regular.  Nagy has consistently had BAD QB play.  Maybe it is him and his playbook, etc...maybe it is fact he has his hands tied by lousy QB's.  See Shanny in San Fran - only so much you can do without having a real good QB.  

I see what you are saying and pray it's true.  

On 4/3/2021 at 5:09 PM, BearFan NYC said:

Agree. I don't want a team that is perpetually +/- 2 games from .500. That doesn't threaten for a SB, and it also doesn't provide suitable draft picks to get incredible prospects.

1 hour ago, jason said:

Agree. I don't want a team that is perpetually +/- 2 games from .500. That doesn't threaten for a SB, and it also doesn't provide suitable draft picks to get incredible prospects.

right,. the reason you take a flyer on a young up and coming coordinator as a head coach is not because you KNOW theyll be a decent a coach, but because you hope they will be a special one.

And similarly, once you know they arent special, theres no reason to keep them, even if theyre OK.