Week 7 Official Game Thread - CHI @ TB , +12.5, O/U 47, SUN 10/24, 3:25PM CT - CBS

adam

And now we hear that Fields' interception was a result of someone telling him in his headset that they could catch the Bucs with 12 on the field.

Isn't that just the Nagy era? Shot in the foot being too cute, meanwhile not actually PLAYING FOOTBALL.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i saw most of the game but missed many key plays.   I agree with the sentiment that we can lose Jackson and ARob and not miss a beat.  There's plenty of well deserved negative comments so I'm going to focus most of my comments on the good things I saw.  With a few gripes mixed in so I can vent.  

First, I think Fields is starting to read the defense better.  Simmons was fodder for their edge rushers and the lack of time eventually got to Fields and affected his feet and accuracy.  As far as the gameplan I think the coaches wanted to give Fields a chance to test their secondary and I'm ok with that game plan.  Staying with that after the late scratch of Wilkinson?   Not sure.  I see the argument that says you prepared Fields for a batch of plays all week.  Do you abandon that and make the rookie go with stuff he didn't practice?   OTOH I like and agree with what Jason said about the play calling.   Why not stay within that same cluster of plays that has given him some success?  

Kalil Herbert is really good, at least running with the ball.  Pass pro is lacking as is normal with a rookie.  We have a great 1-2 combo with him and Monty going forward and this run game is going to be Fields best friend in the 2nd half of the season.   

I liked the defensive effort in the second half.  Especially the goal line stand.  There is some heart to this team and in these situations I really want to see who is going to keep fighting (and that's not a reference to Nichols).  Roquan was exhausted late in the game yet was still working hard.  Others followed his lead.  Desai will build on that.  I missed some big plays but the secondary with backups in DHC had some good plays in the 2nd half with passes defensed.  I know Tampa was being nice running the ball for a while but Brady wanted that next TD and then they let him throw for it and we shot it down.  Forget about Eddie Jackson for a bit;  when I see guys like DHC and Shelley playing their best football (I'm not saying great football just the best in their careers which means they are getting better as the season moves on) that bodes well for coaching the future talent we'll be adding.  

I like our new returner Grant.  

Oline:  Whatever wasn't happening in pass pro they managed to run well today and they did it on their field.  I don't focus in on their play during a live game like others might but several players had to be doing something right for Herbert to get 100yd rushing against a good front 7.    

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

First, I think Fields is starting to read the defense better.  Simmons was fodder for their edge rushers and the lack of time eventually got to Fields and affected his feet and accuracy.

I don't know what you saw, but Fields couldn't read a comic book today.  They are going to get him hurt.  Even Romo was begging for Dalton to come in to try to save Fields' confidence.  What a shit show.  He's not ready.  I give Nagy credit for trying to protect him.  I'm starting to wonder if the decision to make Fields starter for the season came from above...

24 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I don't know what you saw, but Fields couldn't read a comic book today.  They are going to get him hurt.  Even Romo was begging for Dalton to come in to try to save Fields' confidence.  What a shit show.  He's not ready.  I give Nagy credit for trying to protect him.  I'm starting to wonder if the decision to make Fields starter for the season came from above...

The decision to start Fields for the season may have come from above.  But it still shows those in charge of this team have no idea what their doing from the top on down.  I think Nagy knows he's in over his head and had hoped to keep Fields on the bench as his Ace in the hole.  His wonderful plan.  He's a poor used car salesman.  "Would you buy a car from me."  NO!

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'll disagree with Romo, bringing in Dalton isn't going to save his confidence and more likely will harm it.  if you've told him we believe in you, just go out and learn how to run the offense and we'll live with the mistakes.  Then a few weeks later... well we can't live with those mistakes so your benched and we'll let Andy finish this game.   If the opinion is the other way around and we'd bench him to protect him from such a poor Oline performance well then I say he's a competitor and I believe he's a good teammate.  I can't imagine he'd want any special treatment on a day the offense was struggling.  

I'm ok standing alone on this one.  IMO I saw Fields getting to reads across the field, and to checkdowns.  He's doing it faster than he was but still too slowly to be effective with that level of pass protection.  Was he doing that all the time?  No.  Neither did he have time for that and he knew it.  I just think he's moving in the right direction and pieces are starting to come together for him.   

On the high passes that led to INTs.  I think Field's altered his throwing motion a bit to speed up the release because he'd been from behind so many times.  I'd have to do some side-by-side video comparisons but it felt like he'd was short arming the passes or not doing his normal full wind up.  Plus he got happy feet.  

He's fought through adversity in high school and again in college and made his way back to the top.  I'm staying with him.   

5 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

And now we hear that Fields' interception was a result of someone telling him in his headset that they could catch the Bucs with 12 on the field.

Isn't that just the Nagy era? Shot in the foot being too cute, meanwhile not actually PLAYING FOOTBALL.

Headset turns off after ~15s so last 10s of play clock there is nobody yelling in his ear unless the Bears were in a hurry up offense mode at that time?  I didn't see that part of the game.  Regardless, if the Bears use a spotter to catch that in the defensive huddle then Fields and the rest of the offense have to be able to take that from the huddle and process it realtime.   Fields said he went with a quick snap but the receivers weren't ready for that so they left late.  It sounds like that Oline had it right.  Brady and Rodgers know where to scan for that 12th man running off the field who is typically sprinting to get off the field.  Fields on the other hand is likely still focused on reading the D and setting up protection.  I say you keep putting it on his plate so he learns it.  

7 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I'll disagree with Romo, bringing in Dalton isn't going to save his confidence and more likely will harm it.  if you've told him we believe in you, just go out and learn how to run the offense and we'll live with the mistakes.  Then a few weeks later... well we can't live with those mistakes so your benched and we'll let Andy finish this game.   If the opinion is the other way around and we'd bench him to protect him from such a poor Oline performance well then I say he's a competitor and I believe he's a good teammate.  I can't imagine he'd want any special treatment on a day the offense was struggling.  

I'm ok standing alone on this one.  IMO I saw Fields getting to reads across the field, and to checkdowns.  He's doing it faster than he was but still too slowly to be effective with that level of pass protection.  Was he doing that all the time?  No.  Neither did he have time for that and he knew it.  I just think he's moving in the right direction and pieces are starting to come together for him.   

On the high passes that led to INTs.  I think Field's altered his throwing motion a bit to speed up the release because he'd been from behind so many times.  I'd have to do some side-by-side video comparisons but it felt like he'd was short arming the passes or not doing his normal full wind up.  Plus he got happy feet.  

He's fought through adversity in high school and again in college and made his way back to the top.  I'm staying with him.   

I may have been a little harsh.  He was trying to read the defense, but it was overtly methodical and slow.  Fields is so casual and smooth, it looks cavalier.  I hope and pray that his mental process will someday meet the speed of the NFL.  The tools are there.

What we had yesterday was a nail in the coffin. I always want the team to win, but loses like these are what causes regime changes and we definitely need that. I could look at new potential coaches but need to look at GM prospects and then let them pick a guy. There is still talent on this team so we will be close to.500again. 3 yrs in a row. Pace has some of our future drafts jacked up and the salary cap is going to be a mess but they need to go. Quinn and Mack has big hits on their contracts so they arent leaving. 32 are signed for new year and only a few would be cap friendly cuts. Most would have a lot of dead money left. So we will look similar to this   next year. Tough sledding ahead. Hicks is out of contract but Jackson will be impossible to cut. Bad juju.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

What we had yesterday was a nail in the coffin. I always want the team to win, but loses like these are what causes regime changes and we definitely need that. I could look at new potential coaches but need to look at GM prospects and then let them pick a guy. There is still talent on this team so we will be close to.500again. 3 yrs in a row. Pace has some of our future drafts jacked up and the salary cap is going to be a mess but they need to go. Quinn and Mack has big hits on their contracts so they arent leaving. 32 are signed for new year and only a few would be cap friendly cuts. Most would have a lot of dead money left. So we will look similar to this   next year. Tough sledding ahead. Hicks is out of contract but Jackson will be impossible to cut. Bad juju.

I agree. Also, what is Nagy's signature dominant win as a head coach after 2018? Most coaches have games they can hang their hat on. In 2019, the Bears beat the Vikings twice (16-6 and 21-19) when the Vikings finished 10-6. In 2020, the Bears beat the 11-5 Bucs with Foles at QB 20-19. That's it, those are the only wins vs winning teams in 2019 and 2020. Nagy and the Bears have been completely schedule and turnover-dependent since 2018. They only win when they win the turnover battle and/or play a bad team. The offense is built to "not lose" instead of trying to win. 

8 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Watching tonight’s game with Jamal Adams playing Safety the way it supposed to be done.  ☹️

…and there was a Kevin White sighting!  

and to think Adams and Jackson have similar contracts......

I would trade ARob for Kevin White right now, that is how bad ARob is playing.