Week 8 Official Game Thread - The Overrated Coach Bowl - SF @ CHI , +3.5, O/U 39.5, SUN 10/31, 12PM CT - FOX

adam

Funny that this game is on Halloween because it is going to be scary bad. It's pretty telling that a 2-4 team is favored on the road against a 3-4 team. Vegas has zero faith in the Bears. 

SF is reeling, having lost 4 straight. Their wins are over PHI and DET. This is a bad team. There is no reason the Bears should lose or be underdogs at home against a team like this. Jimmy G has been terrible and they have literally one player on offense you need to worry about, Deebo Samuel. He has more receiving yards than the rest of the team combined. He has more yards and TDs than ARob and Mooney combined. 

This is a must-win. If you lose to 2-4 team at home for a 3rd straight loss, the HC has to go. 

I feel like this happens every year, the Bears have some terrible losses, then win again and magically all the problems are gone. This feels like that type of game. SF is on the road, weather is going to be in the low 50's game time. Perfect Bear weather.

I think the Bears rebound, have some better success on offense and win 24-17 pretty much eliminating SF from playoff contention at 2-5.

Thoughts?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

This is good news - that said - I am still worried about how ready he will be after missing so much time, but I'd love to find out in 2nd half of this season if Bears somehow got some building blocks on that line.  

He looked better than pretty much every other RT this year in his limited time (not saying much I know). 

Would be nice to get some more depth for the OL,  But I don't have much faith in a fifth round pick upgrading the line at this point of the season. after missing eight weeks.  As for Jenkins I don't want to see him in a game this year until the last week or two maybe.

15 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

And this little nugget from Peters.  Damn!  That’s what my daughters would refer to as “spilling the tea”. Is Peters working to become the new team PR man?

Or he's using his future HOF resume to show how terrible the coaching staff is.  How can you be a backup and not have any reps???

18 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Or he's using his future HOF resume to show how terrible the coaching staff is.  How can you be a backup and not have any reps???

Seems Peters is more in tune with what the fan base is concerned about and fueling the fire.  Which normally I’d not be a fan of, but in this case it’s warranted.  And he’s probably become a de-facto spokesperson for the rest of the team by showing how mismanaged they are right now.  Like you said, he’s really got nothing to lose.  

13 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Saw this elsewhere.  Apparently Jason Peters does better at updates than does Nagy.  Also speculated that ‘Jenkins will be back in a few weeks.’  

The NFL doesn't take kindly to teams putting out speculative injury information.  Players are not held to the same standard.  That's why all teams typically follow a strict protocol when it comes to releasing injury status and typically do so along league required deadlines.  I don't really care that Nagy didn't go out of his way on a Monday when he's game planning with his staff for this week's game and take 10min and tell us that Larry Borom should be back practicing.   Especially if they want him to be cleared by the medical staff first which might be something that happens on Tue.  Wed is press conference day.      

Both Borom and especially Jenkins will need practice time before they are ready to play.  I like what I've seen of Borom but I'd be surprised if he was starting this week.  I expect Elijah Wilkinson back at RT but if Borom is his backup that is a far better option than Simmons.  Also nice to see some positive news about Jenkins returning.  If he's expected back in a few weeks that could mean he's already back in the building working out.  

42 minutes ago, adam said:

I would go with Peters-Whitehair-Daniels-Ifedi/Bars-Borom after the bye. After RT, Center has been the weakest link.

That's a tough one.  I like the guards where they are, but they are both better than Mustipher at center.  If one moves in, does it make the line better or worse?  At this point, I'm staying put with Sam.  Then, of course, drafting the best center of the class next year.

5 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's a tough one.  I like the guards where they are, but they are both better than Mustipher at center.  If one moves in, does it make the line better or worse?  At this point, I'm staying put with Sam.  Then, of course, drafting the best center of the class next year.

He is undersized and getting abused up the gut and still mishandling snaps. If you gain +10 at center by moving Daniels there, and only lose -8 to Bars or Ifedi taking over for Daniels at RG, it is a net positive. I agree on chemistry part, but if Daniels ends up next to Ifedi or Bars (because they both slide inside), then Daniels just needs to get in sync with Whitehair again. After Tackles, Center is the most important position on the line. 

49 minutes ago, adam said:

He is undersized and getting abused up the gut

You know what's crazy, Mustipher is 315 and supposedly gained strength, but I see what you see.  The number one rated center coming out weighs 285, is super strong and athletic.  I watched film on him and he's a mauler.  It's that kid from Iowa.  When you draft a kid like that, did you get a Kruetz or Grasu.  He's like an OL version of Aaron Donald.

29 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

You know what's crazy, Mustipher is 315 and supposedly gained strength, but I see what you see.  The number one rated center coming out weighs 285, is super strong and athletic.  I watched film on him and he's a mauler.  It's that kid from Iowa.  When you draft a kid like that, did you get a Kruetz or Grasu.  He's like an OL version of Aaron Donald.

As a Center, you have to be quick or strong, Mustipher is neither. He is not bad, especially for a UDFA, but there was a reason he went undrafted. He filled in admirably last year, but instead of taking a step forward, he has plateaued pretty quickly, which again makes sense based on his draft status. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

As a Center, you have to be quick or strong, Mustipher is neither. He is not bad, especially for a UDFA, but there was a reason he went undrafted. He filled in admirably last year, but instead of taking a step forward, he has plateaued pretty quickly, which again makes sense based on his draft status. 

I recalled Kreutz being high on Mustipher last year and when looking around for any recent update on what Kreutz had to say,  I found the below podcast from 'Windy City Gridiron' and whelp, Olin had plenty to say. He actually bristled at the suggestion Mustipher was the weak link or the problem with the o-line.  Keep in mind Olin has been working with Mustipher since he was in college at Notre Dame and approaches the question almost like a proud parent.  

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2021/10/27/22749494/olin-kreutz-chicago-bears-offense-still-lacking-explosive-plays-with-justin-fields-sam-mustipher

A summary of some of the comments about Mustipher in particular:

Kreutz says the offense has "problems top to bottom".  They "went out last offseason to get explosive players" and are still not an explosive team but are a strong run team.  Kreutz suggests that those who think Mustipher is the problem don't know the Bears offense. He openly admits "Sam needs to improve" but is an UDFA making the league minimum.  Kreutz says something to think about is that Mustipher is playing Center and that Whitehair and Daniels are not and "Halas Hall knows why that is". 

Kreutz believes why the Bears rushing offense is 7th or 8th in the league (averaging 120 yards per game on the ground) is because of the things Mustipher is doing from the Center position.  He thinks when a team cannot pass the ball like the Bears can't it has to do more with pass protection from the edges (Tackle or TE) more than the interior linemen.  (Which to me makes sense).  He noted that in the last game against the Bucs, Mustipher was able to make the recognition calls he needed while going against a player like Vita Vea and was still key to helping Herbert get 100 yards against TB (a first so far this season).  

6 hours ago, adam said:

When players add a significant amount of muscle/strength it usually comes at the expense of losing some quickness.  If a loss of quickness is what ails Mustipher he might recover from it but it will likely have to be done in the next offseason.    

9 hours ago, Daventry said:

Never fear electronic communication will allow his precious input 

Luckily that is not allowed. If he is not cleared, this is a great way to measure his impact on the team. A win probably shows that he is negatively impacting the team (or not helping it), but a loss may mean he does have some positive value to the team. Right now, no one knows. 

SF has looked terrible, if we can't beat them, then you literally have to start the firesale on Monday.