Patrick Mahomes

adam

Just had his worst two games of his career back to back these last two weeks: 

He now has 10 INTs in 8 games (leads the league), and is on pace for 20+. The most he has ever thrown in a season was 12, and he had only thrown 11 in the last two years. He also has 2 fumbles lost for 12 turnovers (Tied for league lead with Lawrence).  From reading some analyst's posts, it seems that teams have finally made an adjustment defensively to him and it is causing him major issues. For all the Trubisky talk, Mahomes may not actually be the GOAT after all. 

What is funny is this is who I thought he would be coming out of college. A guy that can throw 400+ with 5 TDs one game, then throw multiple INTs another game. You would have to live with the good and the bad. He still has 19 TDs, but if anyone watched the game last night, more than half his passes where BEHIND the LOS. 

Kelce has looked like crap lately, so their only real offense is Hill, but he can get bottled up too. Just interesting to see someone like him struggling after he was being mentioned with the all-time greats, yet very few have looked this bad this far into their career.

I am wondering if his brother and wife are distracting him, because to be honest they seem like extremely annoying people.

Mahomes seems off ever since the SB loss.  I’m not sure if it’s him, coaching or the scheme.  In watching a few of the Chiefs’ games lately Mahomes just doesn’t seem to have ‘it’ anymore.  The quirky off balance throws aren’t connecting and even those more traditional throws are sailing off target.  The whole team seems just -bleh-.  Of course you pair that with a bad defense (an Achilles heel for them in the last few years) and that doesn’t help.  

As much as I love Andy Reid it’s looking more and more like his style of football is getting passé.  Just a few years ago (when Nagy was nominated for coach of the year) I was heralding his coaching tree successes.    Those that have or are succeeding are coaches like Sean McDermott and John Harbaugh.  McDermott is more defensive inclined and Harbaugh got his experience as a ST coordinator.  Then there are his most recent former OCs Doug Pedersen and Nagy.  Pedersen is currently not coaching and Nagy soon won’t be either.  Its possible that the NFL has caught up to Reid’s style of offense and he hasn’t been able to adjust accordingly . Either way, the Chiefs and Mahomes don’t look like the team they once were.  

2 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Mahomes seems off ever since the SB loss.  I’m not sure if it’s him, coaching or the scheme.  In watching a few of the Chiefs’ games lately Mahomes just doesn’t seem to have ‘it’ anymore.  The quirky off balance throws aren’t connecting and even those more traditional throws are sailing off target.  The whole team seems just -bleh-.  Of course you pair that with a bad defense (an Achilles heel for them in the last few years) and that doesn’t help.  

There's the age old Bears QB argument that can be had about our failed QB's.  Bad OL, bad coaching, no weapons, no defense.  Some players lose their resolve after time as well.  Get banged up, get paid, have kids, fight injuries, get bored, bad work ethic, drugs and alcohol, married and divorced etc.  We weighed the talent difference between Mahomes and Trubisky and their skillsets were eerily similar, but Mahomes performance was eminently better.  What was it?  The only thing we couldn't equate is what was between their ears.  It really goes to show how fragile and important the QB position is.  It's the one area where I agreed with and applauded Nagy for protecting Fields as long as he could.

May I have your attention please?   May I have your attention please?  Will the real Patrick Mahomes please stand up.  I repeat, will the real Patrick Mahomes please stand up?  We're gonna gave a problem here. 

The real Mahomes has put together a few fabulous years.  I think the Chiefs figure it out and get him back on track.  Like said above, it takes a team.   

Mahomes put up some crazy stats and crazy out of this world plays....all while having superior talent around him. He had a good Oline as well. That's what happens when a player of his talent is put with great experienced coaching and great talent around him. No one can question Mahomes talent.... he is top tier. It was always unrealistic to expect the type of run he was on to continue every year.  The talent around him will start to decline with age and Salary Cap restraints with paying him 40 mil a year. Brady and Peyton didnt break record every year, only the years they had a good group around them. Mahomes and the Chiefs will get this figured out and cut down on the turnovers. 

1 hour ago, Chitownhustla said:

Mahomes put up some crazy stats and crazy out of this world plays....all while having superior talent around him. He had a good Oline as well. That's what happens when a player of his talent is put with great experienced coaching and great talent around him. No one can question Mahomes talent.... he is top tier. It was always unrealistic to expect the type of run he was on to continue every year.  The talent around him will start to decline with age and Salary Cap restraints with paying him 40 mil a year. Brady and Peyton didnt break record every year, only the years they had a good group around them. Mahomes and the Chiefs will get this figured out and cut down on the turnovers. 

And he only has two play makers on OF with him this year and not a good running game.  Take Kelcy and #10 and he comes cack to the pack somewhat.  But would take him or a coupe others for the next ten years.  Hope we did get ours this year.

13 hours ago, Bill said:

And he only has two play makers on OF with him this year and not a good running game.  Take Kelcy and #10 and he comes cack to the pack somewhat.  But would take him or a coupe others for the next ten years.  Hope we did get ours this year.

Part of the reason they only have two playmakers on offense apart from him is his huge 10 year extension they signed him to that will limit what they can do adding talent around him.  Injuries have really hurt their run game, but the blocking also isn't what it once was. Their defense is suspect at best, and NFL teams have figured out Reid's system to an extent.  Though like you said take out Hill and Kelcie (who's having a bad stretch himself) and voila  your team is struggling to manufacture points. And you're more prone to taking risks as your chasing points.  Another factor I think is Mahomes has been so reliant on trick throws, and finding WRs running loose in the secondary for easy completions.  When you be come reliant on that and the WR's aren't open by a country mile anymore and the trick throws, and risky throws are no longer working you have to try to play more traditionally and as Alaskan pointed out he's struggling with even more traditional throws.   At some point it catches up to you and he's showing signs of becoming the boom or bust type QB that he was tagged as pre-draft.  He can look like a world beater one week and then pedestrian at best the next.  Kinda like when we had good Rex vs bad Rex.  For Mahomes I think this is a critical point in his career, can he develop to the point where he can succeed whether the trick plays are working or not.  That's the role of a Franchise QB.  The longer he's in the league the more he's going to realize that you can only get by on athletic ability and luck so long and at some point you need to develop new skills, and improve others in order to play smarter. He's definitely capable of doing that.  

One of the issues with the Chiefs is cap space, this was his last year on his rookie deal at $7.4M a year. Next year it balloons to $35.8M, an increase of $28.4M. So that is like losing 2-3 high paid starters. If the Chiefs look like this now, how will they look with 3 additional replacement level players starting? The answer is worse.

Another thing that occurred is he got married and had a kid. We have seen a ton of players change when that occurs. Based on all the TikTok videos by his brother, he doesn't seem to be too concerned with improving or fixing what is wrong. 

Mahomes still has elite arm talent but I said before that draft in college he had some very Cutler-esque games with multiple INTs.  It's in his nature to do all things possible to make the play.   Of course those plays can end up on highlight reels for both offense and defense.  This was my biggest question with him... how would he handle things when the talent around him isn't as good.   He was brought into a perfect situation and made the most of it.  I've seen him play in a couple games this year and it's definitely interesting watching how he handles adversity, even some of his emotional outbursts towards his teammates.  

I also think that perhaps his toe injury from the SB may be more serious.  If anyone has had turf toe or a better comp for most regular folks is gout.  If you have ever suffered from any toe issues you know how it effects even walking.   Or maybe, using a golf analogy, he has the yips, or what ever baseball players get who just can't throw the ball anymore.  Just wondering.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

I also think that perhaps his toe injury from the SB may be more serious.  If anyone has had turf toe or a better comp for most regular folks is gout.  If you have ever suffered from any toe issues you know how it effects even walking.   Or maybe, using a golf analogy, he has the yips, or what ever baseball players get who just can't throw the ball anymore.  Just wondering.

Could be but man he looks bad. 

He now has strung 3 straight replacement player games in a row. 

Mahomes the last 3 games: 216 yds/g, 0.66 TD/g, 0.66 INT/g.