GM Candidates: The List

DABEARSDABOMB

Figured I'd make a thread where we could track who the candidates are that they have formerly requested permission, etc.  I will update this shortly (but wanted to put it somewhere):

Kwesi Adofo-Mensah - Browns VP of football operations 

Glenn Cook - Browns VP of player personnel 

Morocco Brown - Colts 

Rick Smith - Former Texans GM (retired due to personal reasons - in early 50's and coming back after his wife passed away from cancer)

Jeff Ireland - New Orleans Asst GM & College Scouting Director; Former GM for Dolphins - infamously known for his pre-draft interview w/ Dez Bryant.  

Ed Dodds - Colts VP of Player Personnel 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree the Browns get a lot of press but end up average year after year.  I’ve seen enough of that average performance here even if it never came with the  positive press coverage.   That’d be My first question:  so you want to be the Bears GM why can’t your Browns roster make it deep into the playoffs?

17 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I agree the Browns get a lot of press but end up average year after year.  I’ve seen enough of that average performance here even if it never came with the  positive press coverage.   That’d be My first question:  so you want to be the Bears GM why can’t your Browns roster make it deep into the playoffs?

Winning is a learned trait.  Look at the Chargers, Colts and Browns.  All loaded with talent, but find ways to blow it.  Then, look at the Rams, Bills and Titans that are getting used to it.  Finally, look at the Patriots, Packers, Chiefs, Ravens and Steelers that expect it.  It's rare that a team comes out of nowhere to win the SB.  That's why I don't expect much next year or the following until we learn how to win.

10 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Winning is a learned trait.  Look at the Chargers, Colts and Browns.  All loaded with talent, but find ways to blow it.  Then, look at the Rams, Bills and Titans that are getting used to it.  Finally, look at the Patriots, Packers, Chiefs, Ravens and Steelers that expect it.  It's rare that a team comes out of nowhere to win the SB.  That's why I don't expect much next year or the following until we learn how to win.

Mongo, well said. That's why I would rather take someone from a winning organization. However, it has to be the right guys. Pace came from NO and Nagy came from KC and they both underperformed. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

Did Morocco help draft Nelson, Leonard, and Smith? If so, that was one helluva draft. 2x All-Pros and a Pro-Bowler. Then also drafted Jonathan Taylor. He would not have been involved in trading for Wentz lol.

Yeah - He was evidently pretty key in those drafts picks - supposedly has a very good eye for oline talent. In general - Colts have drafted really well.  Bears also officially request permission to interview Rick Smith (former Texans GM) and Jeff Ireland (Saints Asst GM and former Dolphins GM; Plus past jobs with Cowboys).  Pretty happy with the list of names I'm seeing thus far. 

One other item to point out - many front office people do not have agents (they rep themselves) and usually it is agents that leak these requests, so there are likely other candidates whose names just haven't popped out.  

Decent article on one of the Browns candidates Kwesi Adofo Mensah. He has a different backgrond than many GM's today, but so does Mickey Loomis (Saints) and Howie Roseman (Eagles).  It all depends on how you structure your front office.  

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/new-vp-of-football-ops-kwesi-adofo-mensah-knows-what-it-takes-to-win-ready-to-wo

Bears request permission to interview Colts Asst GM/VP of Player Personell - Ed Dobbs.  2nd Colts GM request (to go along with 2 Browns GM requests).  Prior to working with Ballard (since 2017) - he spent 10 years with Seahawks and played a crucial role building up their super bowl squad.  Very strong resume.  

I like what I've read about Ed Dobbs. Dude has that fire and passion and seems to have a relentless expectation / standard for greatness. He backs the talk up with an impressive resume, doing a  nice job with Colts prior to a very successful tenure building up the Seahawks.  He's very high on my list (not that it matters).  

7 hours ago, adam said:

Mongo, well said. That's why I would rather take someone from a winning organization. However, it has to be the right guys. Pace came from NO and Nagy came from KC and they both underperformed. 

Interestingly. Chris Ballard.   Brandon Staley, Morocco all ex Bears.  

Ron Wolf's son, Elliot Wolf is now on the GM list. I believe Omar Khan, who was one of the two in the running to take over in Pittsburgh (but was informed he won't get the gig) is also I think on the list.  

Wolf is still extremely young but spent a lot of time in Green Bay before moving to Cleveland and now spending past 2 seasons in New England (where I believe he is the Asst GM).  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Ron Wolf's son, Elliot Wolf is now on the GM list. I believe Omar Khan, who was one of the two in the running to take over in Pittsburgh (but was informed he won't get the gig) is also I think on the list.  

Wolf is still extremely young but spent a lot of time in Green Bay before moving to Cleveland and now spending past 2 seasons in New England (where I believe he is the Asst GM).  

Omar Khan is impressive, look what Pittsburgh has done over the last 20 years. He was supposedly informed he would not succeed the current PIT GM. 

Champ Kelly and Kwesi Adofo-Mensah interviewing today.  Ireland is apparently confirmed for tomorrow. Kelly is a new name on the list (in-house - but whether they find him serious or not - it is very much worth interviewing him to give a clearly perspective on his vision for the team and I'm really curious what Polian's views are out of that meeting in particular).  

3 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Champ Kelly and Kwesi Adofo-Mensah interviewing today.  Ireland is apparently confirmed for tomorrow. Kelly is a new name on the list (in-house - but whether they find him serious or not - it is very much worth interviewing him to give a clearly perspective on his vision for the team and I'm really curious what Polian's views are out of that meeting in particular).  

This…

I seriously hope Kelley is a legitimate contender.  He’s on other teams’ radar.  Should be on ours as well 

The Bears are skipping over Josh Lucas to interview his assistant, who could then become Josh's boss?   I get that people don't always want to advance to the next level so that's not necessarily a concern with Lucas.  I have to think that Kelly isn't going to become GM and then fire Lucas.  There is more than a hint here the Bears feel good about their talent evaluators.  

• Josh Lucas Director of Player Personnel
  • Champ Kelly Assistant Director of Player Personnel

28 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

The Bears are skipping over Josh Lucas to interview his assistant, who could then become Josh's boss?   I get that people don't always want to advance to the next level so that's not necessarily a concern with Lucas.  I have to think that Kelly isn't going to become GM and then fire Lucas.  There is more than a hint here the Bears feel good about their talent evaluators.  

• Josh Lucas Director of Player Personnel
  • Champ Kelly Assistant Director of Player Personnel

I figure they are getting that independent assessment from Polian and this is just more data (as I believe some of these get recorded in remote setting) that this gives more info for new GM too. 

I also believe the Bears end up hiring more than a GM as part of this. With the wide net cast my guess is we see the new GM poach someone else from these interviews.