GM Candidates: The List

DABEARSDABOMB

44 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

There is more than a hint here the Bears feel good about their talent evaluators. 

I have to agree with this.  We as a group always said Pace did well at picking players in the later rounds.  (And more recently in the earlier rounds).  But those ‘hidden gem’ players are the ones the scouting department seek out and recommend for consideration.  And whatever/however Kelly plays into that equation appears to be getting noticed by other teams.  

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

If Khan is a talented guy, why is Pittsburgh passing on him as future GM.

There is another guy they have in their org that they like as well.  They aren't necessarily passing on Khan.  They just haven't given him any indication of who they are going to pick.

Still pretty shocked at the quality on this list. I would take almost every one of them over Pace. 

Role GM Candidate Name Team Interview Date
Director of College Scouting Morocco Brown Indianapolis Colts TBA
VP of Football Operations Kwesi Adofo-Mensah Cleveland Browns Thursday 1/13
VP of Player Personnel Glenn Cook Cleveland Browns Wednesday 1/12 (DONE)
Assistant General Manager Ed Dodds Indianapolis Colts TBA
Assistant General Manager Jeff Ireland New Orleans Saints Friday 1/14
Director of Player Personnel Ran Carthon San Francisco 49ers TBA
Former General Manager Rick Smith Ex-Houston Texans TBA
Assistant General Manager Joe Schoen Buffalo Bills TBA
VP of Football /Business Admin Omar Khan Pittsburgh Steelers TBA
Director of Scouting Elliot Wolf New England Patriots TBA
Asstt Director Of Player Personnel Champ Kelly Chicago Bears Thursday 1/13

What are your thoughts about pairing guys from other franchises? Schoen/Daboll, Dodds or Brown/Eberflus?

I am leaning towards guys that have already been a VP or Assistant GM, or in Smith's case a former GM.  So I would be less inclined to hire Brown and Wolf coming from the Scouting Departments. It seems like GM is a huge jump from those jobs. You go from singularly focused to the ultimate multitasking. 

Khan, Dodds, Ireland, and Smith are my top group. 

How about you?

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

There is another guy they have in their org that they like as well.  They aren't necessarily passing on Khan.  They just haven't given him any indication of who they are going to pick.

From the article it looks like they are passing on Khan:

Following the report about Watt, Madden also said he has been told that vice president of football and business administration Omar Khan has been made aware that he will not be the successor to Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert, whenever Colbert decides to leave that post. But the job would be kept “in house” and given to someone else.

Madden went on to say Khan is “not happy” about that news. My guess is pro personnel coordinator Brandon Hunt would be that candidate who is currently on the staff.

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden-says-t-j-watt-angrily-refused-his-exit-interview-steelers-linebacker-refutes-story/

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

If Khan is a talented guy, why is Pittsburgh passing on him as future GM.

Might not see eye to eye with someone else in the organization, maybe Tomlin?

The same could be said for almost any one of the candidates. Why did the Texans fire Rick Smith? If any assistant or VP is so good, why not promote from within? Teams make new positions all the time to retain talent. If orgs are letting guys go without trying to retain them, is there something wrong with them?

35 minutes ago, adam said:

Still pretty shocked at the quality on this list. I would take almost every one of them over Pace. 

35 minutes ago, adam said:

They said the coaching crop is meh, but the front office crop is super deep and barely any teams hunting for GM's. Bears have a lot of great candidates and quite frankly i still say they might be able to poach a GM and add to their organizational depth by grabbing someone else. I still think Bears goal should be to pluck someone who can get promoted in a few years and have someone else within the org who can move up - create depth so McCaskey never has to really make this type of hire again.  

36 minutes ago, adam said:

What are your thoughts about pairing guys from other franchises? Schoen/Daboll, Dodds or Brown/Eberflus?

I am leaning towards guys that have already been a VP or Assistant GM, or in Smith's case a former GM.  So I would be less inclined to hire Brown and Wolf coming from the Scouting Departments. It seems like GM is a huge jump from those jobs. You go from singularly focused to the ultimate multitasking. 

How about you?

So I wonder if Wolf/Brown are actually people you are looking to meet with now - but really getting insights for potential for new GM to bring as Asst GM.  Schoen apparently had a stellar interview with Giants yesterday and would have comfort in Schoen/Daboll pairing.  If I'm going Colts - Dodds is really the name I like.  Less intrigued with the pair there, but probably cause I just don't know Eberflus enough.  

1 hour ago, adam said:

The same could be said for almost any one of the candidates. Why did the Texans fire Rick Smith? If any assistant or VP is so good, why not promote from within? Teams make new positions all the time to retain talent. If orgs are letting guys go without trying to retain them, is there something wrong with them?

Rick Smith wasn't fired. He took a leave of absence from his position as GM with Houston to spend time with his wife who was fighting breast cancer. Houston eventually had to replace him. 

7 hours ago, Pixote said:

Rick Smith wasn't fired. He took a leave of absence from his position as GM with Houston to spend time with his wife who was fighting breast cancer. Houston eventually had to replace him. 

Good catch, completely forgot about that. O'Brien fiasco overwhelmed my brain. 

9 hours ago, adam said:

It was said that Smith stepped away while his wife battled cancer.

12 hours ago, adam said:

This is what I read somewhere else.

"Many have speculated that Khan has waited in Pittsburgh knowing that he is a strong candidate to replace Kevin Colbert, who is expected to retire soon. However, the Steelers also have a strong candidate in Brandon Hunt, and Khan has been taking interviews in recent years, possibly signaling that the Steelers will choose Hunt over Khan when the time comes."

43 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

This is what I read somewhere else.

"Many have speculated that Khan has waited in Pittsburgh knowing that he is a strong candidate to replace Kevin Colbert, who is expected to retire soon. However, the Steelers also have a strong candidate in Brandon Hunt, and Khan has been taking interviews in recent years, possibly signaling that the Steelers will choose Hunt over Khan when the time comes."

without knowing pertinent information on the GM candidates i am seriously leaning to Khan as my top candidate.

1. he has worked with a family owned franchise. he should be able to work with the idiots in ours.

2. he has worked under and with some of the top people in management in the nfl.

3. the steelers have had a winning organization for decades. he is not working with a flash in the pan franchise who have just turned it around over the past few years. top mention also, these other franchises like the browns and such have had the #1 or top 5 pick multiple times recently. how hard is it to draft with those positions? if not our gm i would have liked to see Khan as president of football operations. he would have been a great candidate for that.

49 minutes ago, Lucky Luciano said:

without knowing pertinent information on the GM candidates i am seriously leaning to Khan as my top candidate.

1. he has worked with a family owned franchise. he should be able to work with the idiots in ours.

2. he has worked under and with some of the top people in management in the nfl.

3. the steelers have had a winning organization for decades. he is not working with a flash in the pan franchise who have just turned it around over the past few years. top mention also, these other franchises like the browns and such have had the #1 or top 5 pick multiple times recently. how hard is it to draft with those positions? if not our gm i would have liked to see Khan as president of football operations. he would have been a great candidate for that.

I like him, as well, for the reasons you mentioned.  The Steelers use their cap well and generally stay out of the free agent market.  Homegrown has always been how I like to see a team built.

On 1/13/2022 at 8:39 PM, adam said:

How about you?

I don't put any stock in titles.  Some people hand them out like candy.  Right now they are doing screening interviews and can assess the actual work experience of each candidate.  Then decide on the top 5 or so for the real on-site interviews.  

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I read about Khan's job in Pittsburgh. He was the cap guru, had nothing to do with player personal. We don't need a another business man in the front office.

We still have Cliff Stein in the front office for that and I think he does a good job.  He's not defining the strategy and obviously doing what he's asked by the GM but that's how it should be.     

33 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

We still have Cliff Stein in the front office for that and I think he does a good job.  He's not defining the strategy and obviously doing what he's asked by the GM but that's how it should be.     

Notice the issues we've had with our salary cap lately? Well, it wasn't Cliff Stein's fault. Ryan Pace decided to hire a buddy from New Orleans, salary cap analyst Joey Laine, and move Cliff Stein to a position of General Counsel. Stupid! Let's hope Stein is put back in charge of our salary cap.

On 1/15/2022 at 3:03 PM, Pixote said:

Notice the issues we've had with our salary cap lately? Well, it wasn't Cliff Stein's fault. Ryan Pace decided to hire a buddy from New Orleans, salary cap analyst Joey Laine, and move Cliff Stein to a position of General Counsel. Stupid! Let's hope Stein is put back in charge of our salary cap.

Didn't realize that.  

i am still going with khan and add rick smith to the two top candidates.

The Wrath Of Khan: he has made his bones for years in a winning franchise that is family run. he has rubbed elbows with some pretty good gm's and coaches AND owners in this time. to limit the gm search to a player personnel candidate only is wrong. this guy will be able to bring it all to the table. he will also have a chip on his shoulder to succeed. he is still my top choice.

next is rick smith. another candidate with a lot of good things in his past. has worked hard in a crappy franchise before leave of absense.

one of these two are for me.

Updated List, so far 10 interviewed with 1 more scheduled and 4 TBA. Even with the Dodds withdrawal, we are still looking at 14 candidates. 

Director of College Scouting Morocco Brown Indianapolis Colts Monday 1/24
VP of Player Personnel Glenn Cook Cleveland Browns Wednesday 1/12
Assistant General Manager Ed Dodds Indianapolis Colts Monday 1/17
Director of Player Personnel Ran Carthon San Francisco 49ers Wednesday 1/19
Assistant General Manager Joe Schoen Buffalo Bills Sunday 1/16
Director of Scouting Elliot Wolf New England Patriots Tuesday 1/18
Asst Director Of Player Personnel Champ Kelly Chicago Bears Thursday 1/13
Director of Player Personnel JoJo Wooden Los Angeles Chargers Thursday 1/20
Director of Player Personnel Monti Ossenfort Tennessee Titans Saturday 1/15
Senior Personnel Executive Reggie McKenzie Miami Dolphins TBA
Executive Dir of Player Personnel Ryan Poles Kansas City Chiefs TBA

6 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm liking Rick Smith

He was never flashy in Houston but quietly got some very good results.  I can say the same for Reggie McKenzie who exceeded my expectations when he was leading the Raiders but I seem to recall him having some big misses too.  It's a bit odd the Bear are bringing in the experienced GMs late in the process especially when Rick Smith is just sitting at home.