HC Candidates: The List

DABEARSDABOMB

List of candidates the Bears have officially requested permission to interview (I will update):

Role HC Candidate Name Team Interview Date
DC Leslie Frazier Buffalo Bills Sunday 1/16
HC Doug Pederson Ex-Philadelphia Eagles Wednesday 1/12 (DONE)
OC Brian Daboll Buffalo Bills TBA
OC Nathaniel Hackett Green Bay Packers Saturday 1/15
DC Todd Bowles Tampa Bay Buccaneers TBA
OC Byron Leftwich Tampa Bay Buccaneers TBA
DC Matt Eberflus Indianapolis Colts Monday 1/17
DC Dan Quinn Dallas Cowboys Late Next Week
HC Brian Flores Miami Dolphins Friday 1/14

• DABEARSDABOMB changed the title to HC Candidates: The List
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I hope Flores gets a interview, A good coach.

Me too.

Here is how Flores, Pederson, and Frazier compare with other veteran coaches that are available (in order of winning %):

1. Zimmer is 72-56-1 in the regular season and 2-3 in the postseason with 4 winning seasons in 8 years. 
2. Pagano is 53-43 in the regular season and 3-3 in the postseason with 3 winning seasons in 6 years.
3. Pederson is 42-37-1 in the regular season and 4-2 in the postseason with 1 SB win and 3 winning seasons in 5 years. 
4. Nagy is 34-31 in the regular season and 0-2 in the postseason with 1 double doink and 1 winning season in 4 years. 
5. O'Brien 52-48 in the regular season and 2-4 in the postseason with 5 winning seasons in 6 1/4 years. 
6. Quinn is 43-42 in the regular season and 3-2 in the postseason with 1 SB loss (28-3) and 2 winning seasons in 5 1/2 years.
7. Flores is 24-25 in the regular season and has never made the postseason and had 2 winning seasons in 3 years.
8. Frazier is 21-32-1 in the regular season and 0-1 in the playoffs, with 1 winning season in 3 years.
9. Fangio is 19-30 in the regular season and no winning seasons in 3 years.
10. McDaniels is 11-17 in the regular season and no winning seasons in 2 years. 

I am curious what people think of Pederson. On one hand - I get it, Nagy was his good friend and he brings similar system. On other hand I thought he was the jerk in Philly that rubbed people wrong way but I read some stories that basically said he was the extremely nice guy who got crapped on by the owner and Roseman for 4 years who finally got pushed too much. 

His offenses were pretty good with exception to final year and at some point he decided Wentz wasn’t his guy but got a lot out of him early in his career. Also played some role in Hurts developing and seemingly tailored his offenses (Wentz to Foles). 

That said I never know how much was Doug vs Reich and DeFillipo. I will also point out Doug did run the football a bit too. 

Hard to argue the success he had during majority of his tenure. 

All I can say is that early on they are clearly going after experience.  So far it doesn't appear they want the young up-and-coming coach but these are also the easier interviews to get setup so we're likely to see some OC/DC with no HC experience.    

After so many years of searching and hoping I don't really know what to think of any of these coaches.  Maybe I'm afraid to fall in love again and get my feelings hurt.  :(   As I said before, I believe people can live and learn and benefit from their experience the second time they have that role but that doesn't mean everyone does.  I want to be the fly on the wall and listen when they are asked... You've been a HC before, what will you do differently this time around, and why?    

That aside I think Pederson has a better grasp of offense and how to attack a defense as compared to Nagy.  I realize that's a low bar.  

10 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

No Harbaugh stats?  😊

Yeah, I didn't include him in that category as an active CFB Coach, but:

Harbaugh 44-19-1, 5-3 in the post season, 3 winning seasons and no losing seasons, and 1 SB loss. 

He would clearly be the best option in terms of past success. His worst season was 8-8. He did that with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. His QBs had an 82-31 TD/INT Ratio over 4 seasons. 

I would happy with Daboll or Hackett if they decide to go young coordinator, nor would I be opposed to Bowles or Pederson. I think all 4 are better than Nagy. Hackett would be the most scary because you really don't know what the team would look like without Rodgers at the helm. So I would put him 4th. 

What is interesting to me, it seems that there are enough good candidates this year that the Bears almost can't mess this up (please pin this comment to roast me later). 

Updated master list at the top too. Pretty comprehensive list - interested to see whether they reach out to McDaniels.  I would reach out to him, if for no other reason, than to get his views on his vision and what he would do, how he would design things around Fields (or would he NOT design things around him, etc).  

3 hours ago, adam said:

I would happy with Daboll or Hackett if they decide to go young coordinator, nor would I be opposed to Bowles or Pederson. I think all 4 are better than Nagy. Hackett would be the most scary because you really don't know what the team would look like without Rodgers at the helm. So I would put him 4th. 

What is interesting to me, it seems that there are enough good candidates this year that the Bears almost can't mess this up (please pin this comment to roast me later). 

If there is anything the annual coaching carousel will tell me - most of all of these names will inevitably fail.  Sometimes it may not have anything to do with them, it could be they have a bad roster, face uphill battles from injuries, etc. I do think in the short windows these coaches have - the reality is - there is more than just their individual capabilities that ultimately decide whether they are successful or not (it is a tough life - being an NFL HC).  

But in general - there aren't a lot of people on the list who I would shake my head at if they got hired.  Reality is - George was right on one thing, no one is going to trust that they got it right until you see real production out on the field. W/L's; Progression from Justin Fields (or whomever the QB is), Development of young players, etc.  

Bears request permission to interview Brian Flores, former Dolphins coach.  Good article on his dismissal from the team.  Really went back to a power struggle between him and GM (which he evidently lost). And the below article isn't overly flattering of Flores. His results are good - but he went through multiple DC's and OC's in each year he was there.  I like fact that he holds people to a high standard - but at same time - I imagine he rubs a ton of people wrong way and that is the problem with the BB style.  It is hard to be BB when you don't have the cred he has (he has ring(s) to his name and thus people will listen).  

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article256841207.html

By the way - Brian Daboll's Bills unit has ranked the following over past 2 years. This included a stretch this year where they struggled and you wondered, did the league catch up to them (and maybe they did). But he showed me real moxy in terms of how the offense morphed in 2nd half of the year and adjusted and came out of it a stronger unit.  This is an offense that outscoured the Chiefs each of the last 2 years and he obviously gets a ton of credit for developing a QB in Allen (quite frankly Fields skill set and limitations are somewhat similar to Allen - with exception that Fields didn't have the same accuracy issues Allen had to overcome).  

21-22: #5 in the league in yards/game and #3 in the league in points/game.

20-21: #2 in points/game 

58 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

By the way - Brian Daboll's Bills unit has ranked the following over past 2 years. This included a stretch this year where they struggled and you wondered, did the league catch up to them (and maybe they did). But he showed me real moxy in terms of how the offense morphed in 2nd half of the year and adjusted and came out of it a stronger unit.  

Aside from Harbaugh and Frazier I think Daboll rounds out my ‘top three’ favs to take the job.

Not only were they able to re-adjust the offense mid-season, I was confident (and frankly anticipatory) Trubiksy would flourish in it.  Mostly because it’s the type offense I think he’d do well in and Daboll is the type of guy I think who would know how to accentuate his talents.  Encouraging if you have a guy like Fields who is shoulders above Trubiksy in raw talent.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Aside from Harbaugh and Frazier I think Daboll rounds out my ‘top three’ favs to take the job.

Not only were they able to re-adjust the offense mid-season, I was confident (and frankly anticipatory) Trubiksy would flourish in it.  Mostly because it’s the type offense I think he’d do well in and Daboll is the type of guy I think who would know how to accentuate his talents.  Encouraging if you have a guy like Fields who is shoulders above Trubiksy in raw talent.  

I like Frazier the person - but his defenses have pretty much been mediocre his entire career.  I do think he would connect well with the players and likely hire very good coordinators. THan again - Lovie never really had great defenses, I think it was more his leadership traits and ability to hold people to a standard that worked in his favor to be a successful head coach for as long as he was.  Heck - he probably would still be coaching if he didn't end up getting too much power (he just wasn't a great personel guy).  

12 hours ago, adam said:

For Hackett, if we were to take away all the improvised big plays from Rodgers what do we have left of his offense?  

On 1/11/2022 at 7:04 AM, adam said:

Hackett would be the most scary because you really don't know what the team would look like without Rodgers at the helm. So I would put him 4th. 

That is the same thing I said yesterday ^ . Similar to Leftwich, hard to judge independent of some of the greatest QBs to ever play. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Not sure how to analyze Hackett with Rodgers being his QB. So much what happens is because of Rodgers.