HC Candidates: The List

DABEARSDABOMB

12 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I do think, whether Poles believes in Fields or not, the HC he brings in has to be 100% in on Fields and developing a culture to maximize his success. Just like I think Poles has to do as much too (whether he buys into Fields as a sure thing or not - he has to build a team to maximize the chances for a young QB to succeed (knowing he can always flip in a new young QB if Fields doesn't end up being the guy).  

But whomever the HC is - has to be 110% in. Everything they do has to be around making the most out of Fields. Not jamming some other offense or something else around him. It has to be about building the right unit for Justin Fields (and the Bears) to excel.  While Caldwell doesn't excite me - I genuinely believes he has a passion to coach Fields and it sounds like he has spent a lot of time around a vision for designing an offense built around him. I still think I would love Daboll and just hope quietly Daboll has that same passion but didn't want to overplay that hand knowing that with uncertainty when he first interviewed with Bears - he had to keep his true enthusiasm close to the vest - because he knows he has a good fall back option with the Giants.  

I really want to read that Poles met with Daboll. Just seems crazy to hire a HC when you have a young QB like Fields, without meeting with the #1 offensive based candidate out there..and I would probably say the same about Leftwich.  

The Bears have had 2 attempts at developing an offense around two potential QB's. Jay Cutler and Mitch Trubisky. Jay, I feel they failed miserably. Mitch they did a better job but still I feel they did not put him into the best situation to succeed. 

Just look at Allen and Mahomes. What do they have around them? 1st = Great Coaching, 2nd = solid Oline and 3 = Pass Catching Weapons. Not just 1 WR but multiple weapons. 

Poles and the new coach MUST build an offense around Justin Fields. If Fields does not pan out, you hopefully can draft the right QB or sign a Vet to plug and play. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposedly these 3 candidates were Poles finalist. So highly likely one of these 3 is the head coach.  I also got the impression from reports that Poles was allowed to talk to various candidates (other candidates might have as well) - so he had a pretty good idea getting into this point of who he wanted (which was these 3 - but he has full atanomy to expand the list if interested).

It did sound like Daboll's interview did not go well. Got the impression from some of the rumors that he came off too much as an OC and not someone who had / could really articulate the bigger picture around being a head coach. Could be because he was burried gameplanning for a playoff game, could be that this whole experience (interviewing for HC) is still pretty new to him relative to vast majority of candidates the Bears met with (many of whom had material #'s of interviews in previous cycles and/or are previous head coaches).  

Leftwich was one name who might make his way back - sounded like he was pretty impressive but there was a lot of uncertainty surrounding the staff that left him (at least initially) on the outside of the finalist pool.  

10 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Crap!

All three are probably good candidates, but not the direction I wanted to go.

This - I can't like tear any of them apart - but at the same time - none of them excite me as home run hires. That said - when New England hired Bill B., no one thought that was a home run hire either :)

8 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Supposedly these 3 candidates were Poles finalist. So highly likely one of these 3 is the head coach.  I also got the impression from reports that Poles was allowed to talk to various candidates (other candidates might have as well) - so he had a pretty good idea getting into this point of who he wanted (which was these 3 - but he has full atanomy to expand the list if interested).

It did sound like Daboll's interview did not go well. Got the impression from some of the rumors that he came off too much as an OC and not someone who had / could really articulate the bigger picture around being a head coach. Could be because he was burried gameplanning for a playoff game, could be that this whole experience (interviewing for HC) is still pretty new to him relative to vast majority of candidates the Bears met with (many of whom had material #'s of interviews in previous cycles and/or are previous head coaches).  

Leftwich was one name who might make his way back - sounded like he was pretty impressive but there was a lot of uncertainty surrounding the staff that left him (at least initially) on the outside of the finalist pool.  

IF these are the 3 finalists, I would say at this point Im a little underwhelmed. Maybe Daboll isn't a polished candidate yet, that would suck if we passed on him and he goes on to be a great HC. Ive interviewed some guys that killed it in the interview and sucked donkey balls on the job and vice versa guys that were not great in the interview and studs on the job. 

Out of these 3 i would rank them : 

1. Quinn 

2. Caldwell 

3. Eberhaus 

If these 3 HC candidates had input from Poles and I presume the other GM finalists then so be it.  As someone mentioned they likely had access to all the videos of the first interviews.   I actually think that’sa good way to assess GM candidates.  If I interviewed someone then you watch this and give me your assessment.  I’m sure someone will point out that we’re comparing George and Teds opinions but they had insight from Polian on the post interview assessment.  They get to compare Polian’s notes against GM candidates notes.  

4 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Bruce Arians took forever to get a gig because of that.  It took Chuck Pagano getting cancer for him to get recognition.

reading the article you posted that went over the Bruce / Trestman Screw up really made me want to puke. Just think about where this franchise could be if Ballard was hired and not Emery. The Emery/ Trestman hiring put the Bears back 3 to 4 years at a minimum. 

9 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Bruce Arians took forever to get a gig because of that.  It took Chuck Pagano getting cancer for him to get recognition.

Sometimes people just aren’t ready.  You could add Fangio to that list and it appears like most he’ll be coming back to coordinator level if he wants to.  

2 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

According to everything I've heard about Arians, is that he was born ready.(just made different)  When he enters a situation, he's the dude that doesn't give a flying f'k what the owner thinks.  That's a hard dude to hire.

Imagine that approach when he was younger.  

10 minutes ago, Chitownhustla said:

reading the article you posted that went over the Bruce / Trestman Screw up really made me want to puke. Just think about where this franchise could be if Ballard was hired and not Emery. The Emery/ Trestman hiring put the Bears back 3 to 4 years at a minimum. 

Emery may not have even been that bad he just missed so bad on the HC that everything collapsed around him. Trestman was just so freaking bad. 

11 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Sometimes people just aren’t ready.  You could add Fangio to that list and it appears like most he’ll be coming back to coordinator level if he wants to.  

When you are that way - you better win immediately or you are screwed. Just look at how he handled Brady - if Brady was others he probably doesn’t make it half a season before Bucs can him but Brady was type okay to get pushed like that and who had enough swagger from all those rings that he wouldn’t stress getting thrown under bus in public. 

If Arians did that to Rodgers or a lot of other good QBs he is probably gone and mentally breaks the QB. But when you have Warner and Brady - both with serious swagger - that combo is special. 

8 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Emery may not have even been that bad he just missed so bad on the HC that everything collapsed around him. Trestman was just so freaking bad. 

Emery's mis on the HC and the way he treated 54 tells me everything i need to know. He is a dumb ass. Add on that Emery and Trestman asked Mel Tucker to run a defense he didnt know makes me want to puke again. The Bears have made me sick to my stomach way to many times. I pray Bill Polian has fixed that. lol 

30 minutes ago, Chitownhustla said:

Emery's mis on the HC and the way he treated 54 tells me everything i need to know. He is a dumb ass. Add on that Emery and Trestman asked Mel Tucker to run a defense he didnt know makes me want to puke again. The Bears have made me sick to my stomach way to many times. I pray Bill Polian has fixed that. lol 

Oh - I agree with you. If he just picked a different coach (and basically anyone else he would have picked that hiring cycle) - he is probably still the GM and they might have won a superbowl. Emery loaded the offense with more talent than this franchise has ever seen. I don't exactly remember whether Phil drafted Forte, but he did bring in Brandon Marshall, Martellus Bennet, Kyle Long, Kyle Fuller, and Alshon Jeffrey into the fold in a pretty short tenure. In particular - it was the only time in my whole lifetime where I could look at the offensive skill positions and say we had match-up nightmares across the field.  If you paired that unit with Andy Reid or Arians (both available candidates at the time) - we are having an entirely different conversation.

To your point - Emery clearly didn't get it since he got overly cute and hired Trestman.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Adam Schefter goes on to say that 2 of the final three candidates were at Halas Hall today and to expect a decision “soon”.  

Other social media reports Quinn’s interview went “very well” and that Poles “hopes to make his choice this week.”

Is the new GM trying to put together a HC with Caldwell as OC?   Can be some delicate conversations working around that scenario.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

The crickets around all this means something is up.  

HC Quinn 51  and OC Caldwell 66 combo could work.  I know the NFL has gone pass happy for offense, but it still takes a great Defense to win it all.  I always admired Quinns defenses and his first toy would be SS/LB hybrid. Caldwell is someone who isn't going to make players fit him, but he changes to fit his players.  He can be a solid figure for Fields to grow with.  Caldwell will build a balanced offense too. 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

HC Quinn 51  and OC Caldwell 66 combo could work.  I know the NFL has gone pass happy for offense, but it still takes a great Defense to win it all.  I always admired Quinns defenses and his first toy would be SS/LB hybrid. Caldwell is someone who isn't going to make players fit him, but he changes to fit his players.  He can be a solid figure for Fields to grow with.  Caldwell will build a balanced offense too. 

And maybe teach a protégé to take over for him?    if this is being explored it would also mean Quinn would have to talk with those coaches he aligned with beforehand.  Plus is Caldwell deadest on being HC?   

Seemingly the other teams are waiting on the Bears decision.  At least the Jaguars might be since Eberflus is on their short list.    I assume the Giants want Daboll so that’s a clear path.   First time it’s felt like the Bears were in the pole position. No pun intended. 

On 1/20/2022 at 6:10 PM, adam said:

I was saying I was leaning towards the two previous HC's and the two previous coordinators as the leading candidate for our HC position. I didn't mean I wanted Daboll as the OC. 

I would go Daboll - 1, Eberflus - 2, Quinn - 3.  As a previous HC, Quinn got a team to the SB. Daboll is easy based on what he did with Allen and the Bills offense. Eberflus has that defense playing swarming football, but his OC pick would be important.

Got my #2. I still would've preferred Daboll, but now it comes down to the OC.