HC Candidates: The List

DABEARSDABOMB

On 1/21/2022 at 2:42 PM, AZ54 said:

I say yes to the mess ... of interviews for exactly this reason.   Coaches come and go.  Let's say we get the right HC but some of these other guys wander off to their own pasture for a few years.  Coaches get fired and if we're doing well then our staff may get poached.  There is nothing wrong with keeping notes on people who weren't at the top of your HC list but still left a positive impression in their coordinator roles.  Just keep things moving crisply.  

I see around the web some fans are fully ready for the fast decision but IMO we have one of the top HC or GM jobs available, if not the absolute best.  Top candidates will wait for this opportunity if they have to.  We've seen that happen around the league in past years although usually the Bears are on the other end of the spectrum.    

Although the job would be attractive, would being in a room with Ted and George impress you? I have my doubts.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/22/2022 at 9:40 PM, Stinger226 said:

Although the job would be attractive, would being in a room with Ted and George impress you? I have my doubts.

Who among our candidates is even thinking about that?  In Chicago if you win they build statues of you.  Whatever their faults these guys are not like Jerry Jones.  They will not be walking into the draft room to tell you which player to take in Rd 1.  They won't call the sideline in the middle of a game to tell the HC to throw deep.  Under Michael McCaskey there were issues with being too cheap to keep good players but in the last decade I think they've proven they'll give a GM whatever is needed to get elite players like Khalil Mack.  Their problem is they haven't chosen the right GM which is why they are offering the opportunity to this group of candidates.  Please don't hire the guy who says he lacks confidence and needs the owner or Ted to help him make decisions.  I do understand you need an owner to sign off on the checks for players like Mack.  Any candidate worthy of this job is asking the owners what the budgets and boundaries are for FA, draft trades, and such.  If they don't want to know that upfront don't hire them.  Again it was clear Pace had free rein to make big trades on draft day and big trades in FA.   

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Who among our candidates is even thinking about that?  In Chicago if you win they build statues of you.  Whatever their faults these guys are not like Jerry Jones.  They will not be walking into the draft room to tell you which player to take in Rd 1.  They won't call the sideline in the middle of a game to tell the HC to throw deep.  Under Michael McCaskey there were issues with being too cheap to keep good players but in the last decade I think they've proven they'll give a GM whatever is needed to get elite players like Khalil Mack.  Their problem is they haven't chosen the right GM which is why they are offering the opportunity to this group of candidates.  Please don't hire the guy who says he lacks confidence and needs the owner or Ted to help him make decisions.  I do understand you need an owner to sign off on the checks for players like Mack.  Any candidate worthy of this job is asking the owners what the budgets and boundaries are for FA, draft trades, and such.  If they don't want to know that upfront don't hire them.  Again it was clear Pace had free rein to make big trades on draft day and big trades in FA.   

All of this 100%.

Peace

4 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I want Daboll coaching from the pain of that game yesterday.  He adapted, made adjustments and kept grinding.  Josh Allen is a complete stud and if Justin Fields wants to ever be at that level, Daboll can truthfully tell him what he needs to do to become that level.

Fields is just a little smaller than Allen, but faster. Very similar traits. Fields is more accomplished while Allen needed some additional grooming coming from a smaller school.

If I am Daboll, why would I choose the Giants? Daniel Jones? A hobbled Barkley? An unmotivated Golladay? They are over the cap, have 70M invested in Bradberry, Golladay, and Williams with very little wiggle room and the roster is a mess. The Bears have a ton of cap space compared to the Giants, and oh by the way have Fields, Montgomery, Kmet, Mooney, Herbert, and potentially Cohen as skill position players. For an offensive HC, the Bears have better pieces to build on. 

The only way Daboll takes the Giants job is if the Bears didn't offer him a job, which will be pretty disheartening. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

Fields is just a little smaller than Allen, but faster. Very similar traits. Fields is more accomplished while Allen needed some additional grooming coming from a smaller school.

If I am Daboll, why would I choose the Giants? Daniel Jones? A hobbled Barkley? An unmotivated Golladay? They are over the cap, have 70M invested in Bradberry, Golladay, and Williams with very little wiggle room and the roster is a mess. The Bears have a ton of cap space compared to the Giants, and oh by the way have Fields, Montgomery, Kmet, Mooney, Herbert, and potentially Cohen as skill position players. For an offensive HC, the Bears have better pieces to build on. 

The only way Daboll takes the Giants job is if the Bears didn't offer him a job, which will be pretty disheartening. 

I think it depends on how close Daboll is with GM Schoen. It might influence him to go to the Giants. I hope not. I really want Daboll in Chicago. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

I heard that there is a potential that the Bears could hire Eberflus as the HC and Caldwell as the OC and Asst HC. What are your thoughts on that?

I don't mind Eberflus as a HC, but the combo worries me.  Caldwell doesn't have much experience calling plays, so he would pair better with a Daboll as HC.  Now if you want Eberflus at HC and Daboll at OC/asst HC, I'm in.

13 minutes ago, adam said:

I am seeing reports of:

President of Football Omar Khan

GM/VP of Football Ryan Poles

HC Quinn

That would be amazing. Quinn isn’t my favorite but I would live with it for the other two. That said - as much as I keep hoping they hire two of these people, I assume they are only getting one? Unless khan has quietly been interviewing or meeting with some of these people. You can’t hire khan and the other person at the same time (I mean I suppose you can but it doesn’t fit logical sequencing). 

One thing to note: Quinn and Eberflus are both 4-3 guys. Not sure what that means for certain personnel or not. I presume Roquan and Mack are studs in both and technically Quinn I believe had some of his better years in a 4-3 as well. Quan would be the MIKE in a 4-3 right? 

I presume you don’t need Goldman in a 4-3 or you need something different or does Goldman still work well? What about some of the other dlinemen? Or does Mack not move to line and instead become more likely trade candidate? 

8 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

One thing to note: Quinn and Eberflus are both 4-3 guys. Not sure what that means for certain personnel or not. I presume Roquan and Mack are studs in both and technically Quinn I believe had some of his better years in a 4-3 as well. Quan would be the MIKE in a 4-3 right? 

I presume you don’t need Goldman in a 4-3 or you need something different or does Goldman still work well? What about some of the other dlinemen? Or does Mack not move to line and instead become more likely trade candidate? 

Goldman when he was moving well could fit a 4-3 front.   These things always depend on what you want.   We had 4-3 with two massive men.  Keith Taylor and?    Nobody could run inside on us and LB just had to clean up the edges.  Downside was no pass rush up the middle.   In the Lovie days he wanted nothing to do with that and wanted lighter quicker DTs to get upfield in their gap but LB had inside gap responsibility too. Fangio and Desai mixed it up.  These are good questions and coaching choices should shape out offseason assuming our GM wants players that fit their schemes.  

One thing I know is Dabol will not make a lateral move to OC for the Bears. With Poles now being GM I hope that Dave Toub gets an interview in the mix as well Bienemy. The only other guy that intrigues me is Dennis Allen who seems to have the plan to confuse Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers as well as the 49ers Demeyco(sp?)Ryans.

If Poles had a couple names high on his HC list that were not among the 3 finalists then he called them last night to setup interviews.  We just haven’t heard about it yet.  It is interesting that Daboll isn’t on Bears list.  Not sure if that’s because the NYG job is considered a done deal or they simply feel he’s better as OC than HC.  

16 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I'll be disappointed if I don't see Poles add his guys to the list. I'm sure he must have candidates for the position of HC in mind beyond these three. Anyone interviewing for the position of GM would have an idea of who he'd want to hire.

Agreed 100%.... IF he demanded picking his own HC I hope they didn't say it had to be from the 3 Finalist they selected. Its safe to assume that if he picks from the 3 that is what was agreed upon. IF he has 100% free rein to pick whoever he wants then we would for sure see at least one or 2 other guys interviewed. 

23 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I'll be disappointed if I don't see Poles add his guys to the list. I'm sure he must have candidates for the position of HC in mind beyond these three. Anyone interviewing for the position of GM would have an idea of who he'd want to hire.

It did seem like the finalists were informed by the candidate listing from the GM, so it very well might be these were 3 of his finalists - that said, I would suspect there would likely be 1-2 others he would want to see. He also obviously has access to all of the other zoom interviews so I presume he has gotten up to speed and gotten to see others too.  

I don't want him to rush to a decision - this is a big move and the Bears can pivot pretty fast at this point - but with no coaches having been hired yet, they have some benefit of time (at least for now) so why not take it to ensure he is comfortable. That said - if he knows he's zeroed on his person - than go get em.  

I do think, whether Poles believes in Fields or not, the HC he brings in has to be 100% in on Fields and developing a culture to maximize his success. Just like I think Poles has to do as much too (whether he buys into Fields as a sure thing or not - he has to build a team to maximize the chances for a young QB to succeed (knowing he can always flip in a new young QB if Fields doesn't end up being the guy).  

But whomever the HC is - has to be 110% in. Everything they do has to be around making the most out of Fields. Not jamming some other offense or something else around him. It has to be about building the right unit for Justin Fields (and the Bears) to excel.  While Caldwell doesn't excite me - I genuinely believes he has a passion to coach Fields and it sounds like he has spent a lot of time around a vision for designing an offense built around him. I still think I would love Daboll and just hope quietly Daboll has that same passion but didn't want to overplay that hand knowing that with uncertainty when he first interviewed with Bears - he had to keep his true enthusiasm close to the vest - because he knows he has a good fall back option with the Giants.  

I really want to read that Poles met with Daboll. Just seems crazy to hire a HC when you have a young QB like Fields, without meeting with the #1 offensive based candidate out there..and I would probably say the same about Leftwich.  

I just read that the NYG GM not only is considering Daboll. but Frazier as well. Maybe he goes Frazier! ;)

NFL.com article:

Two coaches Schoen is familiar with from the Bills, defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, have each interviewed for the head coaching job -- Daboll twice, and Frazier with a second interview pending.