it's eberflus as HC

Lucky Luciano

I can't complain. I don't get crazy excited but I have no issues. He's been successful in many shops, highly regarded as good disciplined leader whose teammates have a high degree of respect for him. He's been around the block a lot, in the good way - where I think we'll see someone who is very comfortable in his own shoes, which is really important when you start taking on that leadership role.  

It is critical to see what and how he thinks of the QB position.  

Of the three the guy I wanted the least was Caldwell.  Quinn might have been my favorite, but I do like Eberflus and I like that he can bring a disciplined approach to leadership and will expect a lot out of his players.  What will be interesting is who Mat brings in as his coordinators.  Bottom line, now we have our GM and Coach in place, now it's about filling out the rest of the staff, evaluating our current roster and then planning for the upcoming draft and FA.

I'll throw it out there for DC what about Lovie Smith?  He is a good DC, and would have the HC experience to help Eberflus as a first time HC.  OC will be a critical hire, to get the right guy in here.  

2 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

I'll throw it out there for DC what about Lovie Smith?  He is a good DC, and would have the HC experience to help Eberflus as a first time HC.  OC will be a critical hire, to get the right guy in here.  

No.  I’d much Prefer to keep Desai before going back to routinely beaten cover 2.  

24 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

No.  I’d much Prefer to keep Desai before going back to routinely beaten cover 2.  

I think that is wishful thinking. Eberflus is a 4-3 guy and he's ran various versions of it with the Tampa-2 or more cover 3. Reality is tampa-2 is more of a base unit. His defenses have been highly rated everywhere as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Marinelli back in the building as a Dline coach (especially if Raiders end up with a new HC).  Sounds like they were pretty close.  This change will likely drive a push for some new trades and I am curious whether Eddie Jackson's skill set end up a better fit in this unit or not (part of me says this might create better opportunities for Jackson to be more in that sort of role (although that is probably wishful thinking). 

I think everyone will like what we see defensively out of his team.  The Colts play defense like a bunch of barbarians.  Always fast and swarming to the ball.  They also get a lot of turnovers.  Don't worry about the 4-3/3-4 thing.  He plays nickel 65% of the time.

One thing I'm optimistic about this duo is that they fit my personality better.  As a former OL, I look at Poles like a brother in arms.  It brings a little confidence that he will fix what I've complained about for years.  As far as Eberflus is concerned, I simply like that Fields won't have multiple thought processes and voices in his ear.  I really think that will be key to his development.  Another way Eberflus can help Justin is by working with the OC to let him know how he would attack Fields.

The big thing that is on everyone's mind now, is who the OC will be.

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

When I heard about this announcement I tried to make the connection of ‘why’ did Eberflus make the cut.  Although they weren’t my personal choices (still liked Daboll) I  assumed under the circumstances it would be either Quinn or Caldwell.  

Reading this article it paints a better picture of how he’s built his resume.  And interestingly enough although he appears to be a 4-3 type of guy has experience with 3-4.  In fact he was involved in the transformation of 3-4 to the 4-3 base while in Dallas. Similar to what Fangio did when he came to Chicago but in reverse.  And not only that but is familiar to the Tampa-2 (which I’m personally a fan of with the understanding the old version won’t work as well in todays world).  At any rate he had some connections to Tony Dungy (while he was in Indy) who was coaching when Polian was their GM.  Not to suggest Polian had ultimate influence on this hire but maybe he reached back to some of his sources back in Indy for a more thorough background.    

In speaking ‘coaching tree’ terms it doesn’t appear he’s got a direct link to any one of the greats but rather a collection of influences from a lot of them. Similar to how Daboll has built his resume with offense.  That being said, at the end of the day I’m just a fan (like George) and I’m encouraged by the changes and hopeful they’ll make our team better.  

4 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I think everyone will like what we see defensively out of his team.  The Colts play defense like a bunch of barbarians.  Always fast and swarming to the ball.  They also get a lot of turnovers.  Don't worry about the 4-3/3-4 thing.  He plays nickel 65% of the time.

One thing I'm optimistic about this duo is that they fit my personality better.  As a former OL, I look at Poles like a brother in arms.  It brings a little confidence that he will fix what I've complained about for years.  As far as Eberflus is concerned, I simply like that Fields won't have multiple thought processes and voices in his ear.  I really think that will be key to his development.  Another way Eberflus can help Justin is by working with the OC to let him know how he would attack Fields.

The big thing that is on everyone's mind now, is who the OC will be.

Eberflus was the passing game coordinator for 2 years in Dallas.   How many times have you seen a LB coach add that responsibility?   He has to understand the offensive side of the ball well enough to help build a game plan to attack a defense.  

Media really talked up Quinn and his ability to bring in a great coaching staff.  He already has his guys lined up. I look forward to seeing who Eberhaus brings in and will compare to Quinns. 

If they were going defensive minded HC I would have liked Quinn because he has experience as a HC where he won and went to a SB. His resume is also really good as well. He came up the ranks in Seattle. Having a new GM that has never been a GM I would have preferred to bring in Quinn because he has already been in the hot seat of the HC. 

Poles picked Eberhaus... Let go Boys!!!! Bring us to the promised land. Not sure I can handle being back in this same situation 4 years from now. 

27 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Eberflus was the passing game coordinator for 2 years in Dallas.   How many times have you seen a LB coach add that responsibility?   He has to understand the offensive side of the ball well enough to help build a game plan to attack a defense.  

This was talked about on the Carmen and Jurko show today.  He has also seen Carson went up close and we all know his flaws.  Hopefully,  measures are planned to guide Fields to using his athleticism the right way.

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

After reading this article I am impressed.

His connections & experience with Lovie Smith, Rod Marinelli, and Monte Kiffin was a pleasant surprise. It's also interesting that 'Flus' was initially hired by Indy as Josh McDaniels' wish list as DC for his staff, then remained on when Frank Reich was hired.

So we replace Ryan & Matt with Ryan & Matt. :lol:

4 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I think that is wishful thinking. Eberflus is a 4-3 guy and he's ran various versions of it with the Tampa-2 or more cover 3. Reality is tampa-2 is more of a base unit. His defenses have been highly rated everywhere as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Marinelli back in the building as a Dline coach (especially if Raiders end up with a new HC).  Sounds like they were pretty close.  This change will likely drive a push for some new trades and I am curious whether Eddie Jackson's skill set end up a better fit in this unit or not (part of me says this might create better opportunities for Jackson to be more in that sort of role (although that is probably wishful thinking). 

Wishful or not I'd still prefer Desai running the D over Lovie regardless of scheme.  One has shown the ability to adapt scheme to take away something from an offense the other just focuses on "better" execution of the same thing over and over.  From the article link I posted earlier Eberflus appears to have the same trait of scheming against an offense where he can find an advantage, or to create an advantage.  Marinelli I'd be happy with but at 71 he might be past his retirement date.   Maybe a younger DC to carry the heavy workload and Marinelli as Dline coach/assistant DC?  

13 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Wishful or not I'd still prefer Desai running the D over Lovie regardless of scheme.  One has shown the ability to adapt scheme to take away something from an offense the other just focuses on "better" execution of the same thing over and over.  From the article link I posted earlier Eberflus appears to have the same trait of scheming against an offense where he can find an advantage, or to create an advantage.  Marinelli I'd be happy with but at 71 he might be past his retirement date.   Maybe a younger DC to carry the heavy workload and Marinelli as Dline coach/assistant DC?  

Yeah - I want Marinelli as dline, not the DC.  Sounds like maybe 1 or 2 of his assistants with Colts will be heading over...presumably one of them would be coming in as the DC (my guess).  

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I expected Quinn so curious to see what he brings to the table.  Steady veteran coach complete opposite of the whiz kid Nagy who was going to revolutionize the offense.  

I thought it would be between Caldwell or Quinn. Surprised its Matt. He must have had a great plan to convince Ryan to choose him.

Sounds like between Quinn, Caldwell and Eberflus, we may have got the diamond.  One thing he will bring is accountability.  If you loaf, you lose playing time.  He will bring back a little bit of Lovie (hits) Hustle. Intensity. Turnovers.  His style D is somewhat similiar too, meaning Roquan will be his prize Will LB. 

I worry about the offense but trust he has a plan since the Bears hired him.  The Bears main focus was landing a coach with the best plan for Fields.  Maybe Eberflus's plan was the defense will be so good the QB won't matter 😂

4 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I worry about the offense but trust he has a plan since the Bears hired him.  The Bears main focus was landing a coach with the best plan for Fields.  Maybe Eberflus's plan was the defense will be so good the QB won't matter 😂

I could see that being how he won the interview:  "Under my leadership we're sticking with the Bears long tradition of outstanding defense and occasional offense."   I can see George smiling as he recalls all the failed offensive experiments with Martz, Trestman, and now Nagy and saying to himself yeah, that Fox-ball stuff wasn't all that bad.   

One of my biggest complaints of Nagy was he was trying to handle too much. Just be a HC. I don't think there are many people that can be a HC/OC and play caller and manage all of that at the highest level. Offenses are too complex for that. Then you add QB development on top of that? No way.

Shanahan is doing it in SF, but with a veteran QB. McVay is doing it in LA, but with a veteran QB. McVay didn't develop Goff, he got rid of him. Nagy did the same with Trubisky and didn't develop Fields. Mainly because there is only so much time in the day to handle all those tasks. 

In a way, you could almost see that from Nagy by the end. Canned answers, didn't know things about the team or didn't see plays because he was distracted with other things. The same exact team with a guy like Eberflus, and the Bears easily win 2-3 more games a year. 

They just need to bring in a competent OC and QB coach.

BLUF, I like that we hired a Defensive minded coach because he is not going to try to split his time and water down the offense.

How is McVay going to develop a QB when he's in his ear telling him exactly where to throw on each play?  Which worked well until defenses figured out McVay's tendencies and they just needed to disguise better, at least until his conversation with QB was cutoff.  

I know there was some consideration for Quinn or Caldwell because they were veteran coaches compared to Nagy, but looking at Eberflus, he has been coaching since Nagy was 16.

Here is just their NFL coaching experience:

Nagy (5 yrs as Coach or Coordinator)
KC QB Coach 13-15
KC OC 16-17

Eberflus (13 yrs as Coach or Coordinator)
CLE LB Coach 09-10
DAL LB Coach 11-15
DAL LB Coach 16-17
IND DC 18-21

Eberflus has over double the amount of overall time and double the amount of years as a Coordinator. Even though he is a first time HC, Eberflus is way more experienced at coaching than Nagy even is today.