Khalil Mack traded to Chargers - Official

adam

Here we go. I don't like the compensation, getting back really only a 2nd when Broncos got a 2nd and 3rd for Miller for half a season, but this all makes sense if you are planning to start the run in 2023 and beyond.

Unless there is a rework in the contract, the Bears take a $24M dead cap hit this year, but Mack comes off the books 2023 and beyond. $28M off the books for 2023 and $26M off the books for 2024 with this move.

I am hoping there was some rework in the contract because essentially the Chargers would only own Mack $6M this year and he would have no more guarantees beyond this year. For them, this is an insanely good deal. They would only have to pay him $6M, $17M, $17M the next 3 years. 

Ok, this is good:

Chargers taking it all on. Bears have will have no dead cap in any year but this year ($24M).

Otherwise, even with a trade, the Bears would've had dead cap of $11.6M in 2023, $6M in 2024, and $3M in 2025 ($20.6M). So this makes it soooo much better.

So this ends up being a 2nd rounder, 6th rounder, and a total of $26.7M in cap space savings over the next 4 years.  

Broncos got a 2nd and 3rd for Miller but paid $9M. Essentially, the Chargers paid the Bears $20.6M, almost a $30M difference. That is not insignificant.

14 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Quinn should be next.  What's the math on that?  I'm hearing he'll net a third round pick and maybe a contingent pick next year.

Quinn would net $4.4M in cap savings this year, with dead cap of $12.7M this year.

The Bears would take on dead cap of $11.6M in 2023 and $6M in 2024. However, if it is similar to Mack's, that team would pay the $17.6M so the Bears would be free after this year.

Cap savings for Quinn in 2023 would be $9.7M and $13M without another team picking up any additional salary. 

43 minutes ago, lemonej said:

I'm thinking Quinn may stick around because is actually a DE that fits the 4-3 but, if they can get more pick and cap savings. I'm in.

I was thinking the same. 

Quinn preferred the 4-3 if I recall. 

Mack prefers 3-4 and may have requested the trade. 

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Quinn should be next.  What's the math on that?  I'm hearing he'll net a third round pick and maybe a contingent pick next year.

Yep - Quinn has to follow and I like it. Mack trade created more cap space this year (6-7M) but next year $30M in extra and next year they now have $121M in cap space.  I was hoping they could get more - but given the cap flexibility plus picks they get, this is nice.  Quinn I hope gets something similar (his cap is more friendly for an acquiring team).  

I would have like to seen a healthy Mack for this year but I understand why they did it. I think a #2 and a 4th would have been what it should have been but there  was no competition for this trade. SD is the  only team that was a contender with the cap space to make this trade. How many games did Mack miss last year? That's what this team will look like. Now Gipson gets his shot which needed to happen. His replacement is already on this team, J Attaochu. His last yr he had significant snaps was 2020 with Denver, 5 sacks and 14 QB hits in 5 starts. He will only be a situational pass rusher but at least he will gives you something. Also Charles Snowden will get a chance to develop in his second year.

Having  a #2 is good but we will probably have to use it to find Macks replacement.

39 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

SD had the cap space , most other contenders didn't.

Tracking SD fan Twitter sites tells us they’re pretty excited about the acquisition. With Mack and Bosa coming off opposite sides is pretty scary.  SD fans are amazed the Bears didn’t get more for him.  I’m guessing his more recent injury history had something to do with it.  And probably why, although painful for us, a good time for him to go.  SD is more prepared than the Bears to win now and hopefully Mack can capitalize on it.  

Just now, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Tracking SD fan Twitter sites tells us they’re pretty excited about the acquisition. With Mack and Bosa coming off opposite sides is pretty scary.  SD fans are amazed the Bears didn’t get more for him.  I’m guessing his more recent injury history had something to do with it.  And probably why, although painful for us, a good time for him to go.  SD is more prepared than the Bears to win now and hopefully Mack can capitalize on it.  

I think it was a good move for them. The price was fair and it was a good use of their cap space. This is one of those win/win moves in my opinion. 

Smart GMs trade a player one before they have to. At his age plus his nagging injuries , he was not the same player he was in 2018. Also we have someone to take his place, Gipson. Plus we can get to see Charles Snowden has to offer. If Gipson progresses to double digit sacks, Quinn regresses to 11-12 sacks. In limited snaps, Snowden gets 5 sacks,  then this will be a successful move. Also with changing defense, playing Will LB, you now use Roquin more as a pass rusher, 6-8 sacks. 

This is the awesome and the race in the AFC West is going to be fun to watch this season.  Naturally teams already knew Poles was willing to deal but there's no doubt as soon as Wilson got traded the Chargers knew they had to do something just to ensure they could make the playoffs let alone win their division.   I have to assume Quinn was also asked about in the negotiations and that price had to be at least a 1st Rd ++.     18.5 sacks for a mere $12.8mil in 2022, $13.9mil in 2023...that's worth a lot considering they are paying Joey Bosa $21mil for 10.5 sacks.   Chargers are carrying a ton of money at EDGE Rusher but with Herbert on rookie deal why not?    This, and the Wilson deal IMO are part of he effect of the Rams winning the Superbowl via their model of ignoring draft picks and just getting the best players to win it all however they can.  It's a copy cat league.  

I never thought any team would pick up Mack's deal and give us a 2nd Rd pick so I stand corrected.  Mock drafts are a heck of a lot more fun now.  

That cap space for next year .... Poles has a lot more flexibility for this year as he can easily sign a few players with little cap hit this year and put a bunch of money into 2023 on some contracts.  I think there is much more good news headed our way.  

8 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

For those that thought we didn't get enough. Bears actually got more for Mack than Miller (and Bears got way more cap relief too).  

Pick 48 = 420 points.
The 6th round pick will be between 5 and 18 points.

Broncos got pick 64 and 96.

64 = 270 points
96 = 116 points

2022 NFL Trade Value Chart

Also, the Broncos paid something like $9M more to move Miller while the Chargers took on all the future dead money ($20.6M), so almost a $30M difference.

Another thing to consider on the draft picks. There is a different value for picks in the current year vs the future year. I believe they account for it with one round for each year in the future.

The Broncos got 2 picks in the 2022 draft in 2021. So even though it wasn't a full year, they still could not use the draft picks the same year as they lost Miller. The Bears get to use the 2nd rounder this year, so that has a lot of value.

Lastly, this actually allows the Bears to sign a blue-chipper this year with a slightly backloaded contract if they want to. They can do a low base salary this year and up it next year with all that extra cap.