Fields compared to other QBs

adam

Loved his quote on Okuda:  

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/5-things-we-learned-from-bears-qb-justin-fields

"It was cool playing against him," Fields said. "During the game, I think we both like to stay locked in, so we didn't have much conversation. We talked to each other before the game and of course after the game. He's a great player, great athlete and a great person."

Yeah, but he ain't catching me.  

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen this on Twitter, national people talk down a lot on Justin. I would like to ask them, how in one yr a new GM can completely change a team with no first round pick and no money? People think you can do everything in one yr when you had the worst roster in the NFL in 2022 once ARob, Hicks were all gone.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Seen this on Twitter, national people talk down a lot on Justin. I would like to ask them, how in one yr a new GM can completely change a team with no first round pick and no money? People think you can do everything in one yr when you had the worst roster in the NFL in 2022 once ARob, Hicks were all gone.

LeSean McCoy is an idiot. Just a hot take. He was overrated as a player and he is a clown analyst. He doesn't even know the name of plays. 

Both of Fields' long TDs were on scrambles, not called runs. He is just being super productive on scrambles compared to other QBs getting a few yards. He is breaking off huge runs. Why is he being penalized for that? Should he only go 10 yards and slide, then dink and dunk down the field to score? The goal is to score a TD and win the game. Fields is doing that. 

Fields also has been the best athlete on the field. The ball needs to be in his hands on most plays. As teams adjust to this scheme, there are going to be a lot of opportunities over the top.

They treat this yr as if the Bears regime could have went out and bought @1 WRs and top OTs, we didnt have the money. As a team they are growing slowly as some players get better. Do they need more help, duh It cant all be done in a yr. Poles is moving his assets to O instead of D, so that is at the cost of a terrible D but it had to be done. Next yr will be time for judgement when it comes to Poles and Flus. Almost all of his moves this yr were for young players and cheap risks to find core players. Its the first yr of a rebuild, not (lets take a shot at the playoffs).

Honestly, at this point I think one of the best indicators of where Fields is really at would be sitting him against the Jets and seeing what Siemien does with the same offense and personnel. I see a lot of fans talking about how he has no protection and how no one’s open and any criticism of him as a passer is ridiculous. Which means Siemien would get absolutely buried facing the Jets (admittedly a really good defense who has given a lot of even good QBs trouble). However, if he magically starts funding open receivers, maybe that says something too. 

6 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think Fields won't be playing against the Jets. He has some injury issues, why would they risk more injury? We will see how Siemien does win the same parts. I think we seen what Ebner can do ( nothing) , so give Evans some time. Herbert was definitely missed. 

Ebner did not look good. Trevor is a vet, he will do vet things, and he has a lot more experience than Fields. I figure the passing game will be better but with more interceptions and the running game will be worse. 

9 hours ago, adam said:

It is at least 6 and is actually somewhat concerning. 

Based on SNF commentators Herbert at 6'6" tall is a leader in passes knocked down.   These young QBs still don't have fast eyes and so it's easier for DTs to follow where they are looking and time jumps on their passes.   I think it's natural for a guy who has just finished one full season of games as a starter to still be finding his way and have things to improve upon.  If he focuses too much on that it'll take his eyes off the DBs and WRs.  That would lead to worse problems.  For now I prefer he focus more on reading the coverage.  His pocket presence has improved dramatically from earlier in the season and he's starting to slide around more.   

I don't know when it's going to be but there is a big passing game lurking in the shadows.   We adjusted with Fields running and now defenses are adjusting back.  It's our turn to make the next move and I think Getsy and Eberflus will do that.  

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think Fields won't be playing against the Jets. He has some injury issues, why would they risk more injury? We will see how Siemien does win the same parts.

Agreed.  Fields has more than proven himself. At this point his playing only hurts him more than helps.  Heard in a presser today that Flus is saying ‘day to day’, but noted expert doc David Chao suggests he sit for awhile.  And physical therapist Mason West agrees.  

* Edit: with the Jets ranking in the top-10 for defense and have a spot to play for, even better idea to sit Justin this week.

Shoulder dislocation:

Seriously what are the Bears doing here? A dislocation takes 3-12 weeks to heal depending on the severity and the chance of reinjury is considerably higher if not fully healed. At least sit him thru the bye and see how it is coming out of the bye. 

Flus is obviously being coy, there is no way he plays this week.

45 minutes ago, adam said:

Shoulder dislocation:

Seriously what are the Bears doing here? A dislocation takes 3-12 weeks to heal depending on the severity and the chance of reinjury is considerably higher if not fully healed. At least sit him thru the bye and see how it is coming out of the bye. 

Flus is obviously being coy, there is no way he plays this week.

Same thing ruined Baker Mayfield last year.  It depends on the degree of separation.

“Normal” Shoulder dislocation could heal up in six weeks (without surgery).  Drew Brees dislocated his throwing side shoulder and tore his labrum in 2006 (while still with the Chargers).  Had surgery and was back at it six weeks later.  Some would say he had a pretty good career.  The silver lining is that this was Justin’s non-throwing side and from what we so far know he hasn’t torn his labrum (like Mitch did a few years back).  Torn labrums are no joke.  Id say just rest him the rest of the year and don’t risk further injury.   

10 hours ago, adam said:

Do you think Poles is sold on Fields as a passer and franchise QB?

Honestly, just this morning I was thinking I’d like to see how Siemien runs the offense…for a few reasons.  He’s more a pocket passer who’s been around a few years.  He’s not a horrible QB but if he’s able to do anything, mostly by passing, then that could tell us a bit more on whether the offense itself will be a success (should Getsy keep his job?).  Can Getsy adapt to this style of play versus how you game call for Justin? 

But at the end of the day I still feel Justin is our guy.  The second reason I want to see Siemien play is just to give Fields a much needed rest.  As I said before he more than deserves it.  Putting him back in too early will do more harm than good, both physically and mentally. 

Edit: and to help Poles make the decision on whether Fields is the ‘leader’ he is, there’s this:  

Fields is no longer in the DVOA cellar. After Sunday's game, he passed Mayfield and moved into sole possession of #31 in DVOA at -32.2%. 

Fields had -28.4% last year but started so bad that he was working from a huge hole. I know this may not mean anything to anyone, but guys like Josh Allen made significant progress and it showed in their DVOA. 

Josh Allen went from -35.9% to -11.8% to +25.9% in his first 3 years. So there is precedence. Right now Fields has actually regressed from last year as a passer.

On a side note, Kmet is the #4 TE in the NFL in DVOA at 22.2%. Dissly, Goedert, and Kelce are the top 3. 

• 3 weeks later...

A quick little bye-week anecdote about Fields.  He’s got the most 20+mph runs than any player since 2018.  In the story this came from he said he felt it in his legs (this late in the season) and when they told him his last run of 50+ against GB was in the ‘low 20 mph’ range he said he’s going to need to do more wind sprints. Says he likes to be in the 21-21.5 mph range.  Meanwhile Claypool holds the current speed record for this season at 21.46 mph from week one.  

7 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

A quick little bye-week anecdote about Fields.  He’s got the most 20+mph runs than any player since 2018.  In the story this came from he said he felt it in his legs (this late in the season) and when they told him his last run of 50+ against GB was in the ‘low 20 mph’ range he said he’s going to need to do more wind sprints. Says he likes to be in the 21-21.5 mph range.  Meanwhile Claypool holds the current speed record for this season at 21.46 mph from week one.  

Fields is a gazelle. 

His DVOA keeps climbing, now at -27.3 (31st in the NFL), but improving.

For QBR, Fields is 12th at 58.6 and had the best QBR of the week at 90.5. He now has the best QBR game of the season (95.9 against MIA) and the 15th best (against GB). Neither Hurts or Allen have a game in the top 15.

2 hours ago, adam said:

Fields is a gazelle. 

His DVOA keeps climbing, now at -27.3 (31st in the NFL), but improving.

For QBR, Fields is 12th at 58.6 and had the best QBR of the week at 90.5. He now has the best QBR game of the season (95.9 against MIA) and the 15th best (against GB). Neither Hurts or Allen have a game in the top 15.

I call him a unicorn.  There's nothing like him, especially when passing comes to fruition.  Buffalo had and still has a far superior OL.  Plus, Allen broke out when they went out and got him Stephon Diggs.  Fields still needs that guy.  It is imperative they do their diligence to get the perfect WR for Fields.

I just watch other games and ask myself would I prefer that QB’s ability over what Fields had been doing the last month.   Mahomes yes and even that has the caveat or wait and see when this team is better next year.  IMO Fields is getting more offense out of less talent around him than any QB in the NFL right now.   Would Mahones get more points than Fields with our roster?   I don’t think so.   Might get the same points but in different ways.

i still think fields is a better passer than Allen especially at the same point in their careers.  Herbert when I watched him a few weeks ago didn’t impress.   Who else?