Fields compared to other QBs

adam

I’ll compare Fields here to Aaron Rodgers and say I’m pretty damn sure Fields wouldn’t throw his teammates under the bus. In fact he tried to talk up IHM after he lost that integral fumble during the Vikings game. 

This a quote from Rodgers while on the Pat McAffee podcast.  What a complete d-bag. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, adam said:

Did we just watch the tables turn on MNF? Are people starting to believe Fields is better than Jones finally? 

Jones has been terrible this year and was masked last year by a lot of factors. Now with Zappe, who may not be great, but looks better than Jones.

Zack Wilson is still throwing for under 150 yds and Lawrence goes from a 300 yard game to multiple INTs. 

So is it a reach to say Fields is at least in the conversation as the best 2nd year QB, especially considering the talent around him?

There was never a moment I preferred Jones over Fields.  At QB I always prefer the upside and Fields' is as high as you can get.  

I'm not even sure Zappe is better than Jones.  He had two big plays on blown coverages and then a great pass over the finger tips of Jaylon Johnson.  After that?   

The Patriots now have to spend the rest of this season sorting it out and if they are more or less the same performance wise they will likely trade Mac Jones in the offseason to get whatever they can.  Just remember, once NFL defenses get 4 games of film on you they know your strengths and weaknesses.  You already saw that within our game where our dline switched from trying to get pressure around the QB, which was affecting Jones, to focusing more on a mush rush to the side of the field he was reading and getting their hands up.  Low release point = tipped passes.     

Even after what seemed like better games for Fields, he still is dead last in the NFL in DVOA (35th) at -49.9% which is worse than last year and would be one of the worst seasons for a QB in NFL history. Only Baker Mayfield is even close to him, then a huge gap between him and recently benched Matt INT Ryan. 

Maybe the only saving grace is his QBR is up to 37.3 (28th) and right behind Aaron Rodgers. 

Hopefully this new formula will open things up more for him, and seemed like the recipe everyone was asking for since Day 1. At this point, I just want to continue to see development and some consistency in his performances. Even breaking 200 yds passing with a positive TD to INT ratio with a decent Comp% would be an improvement at this point. The bar is still extremely low. 

The Bears O-Line has not helped, they are ranked 32nd in Pass Pro (DVOA) but are one of the best in run blocking. 

Im not even sure having Fields carry 10 times a game on scripted QB runs is a good idea. Obviously it's a great idea for the offense, but you might him killed out there.

In the long run, we are going to need a MUCH better OL and learn to play regular football better!

12 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Im not even sure having Fields carry 10 times a game on scripted QB runs is a good idea. Obviously it's a great idea for the offense, but you might him killed out there.

In the long run, we are going to need a MUCH better OL and learn to play regular football better!

Definitely don't want that long term.  One thing I've noticed is that he takes more hits on the scrambles than he does on designed runs.  

17 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Definitely don't want that long term.  One thing I've noticed is that he takes more hits on the scrambles than he does on designed runs.  

yeah that's fair. I just wish we had a wall of pro bowlers protecting him and opening holes for the run game. In fact, Id like pro bowlers at every position LOL

Football is SO interesting and frustrating because you are only as good as your weakest link, and you cant have great players at every position. its always about making compromises.

that said, our roster should be much better in 2023 and 2024

On 10/25/2022 at 9:29 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I’ll compare Fields here to Aaron Rodgers and say I’m pretty damn sure Fields wouldn’t throw his teammates under the bus. In fact he tried to talk up IHM after he lost that integral fumble during the Vikings game. 

This a quote from Rodgers while on the Pat McAffee podcast.  What a complete d-bag. 

Screenshot_20221030-174134_Facebook.jpg

4 out of the last 5 games for Fields have been net positive for QBR. With his game this week (95.4 QBR), he is now at 55.0 for the season. He finished last year at 31.4.  He is now 14th, tied with Joe Burrow. Lawrence is the only other 2nd year QB over 50 at 50.9.

Fields has totally flipped the narrative and has been unleashed.

Since the NE game, Fields has 6 passing TDs to 1 INT and 3 rushing TDs. 9 TD to 1 INT ratio!

Fields is turning into a unicorn.  He has natural talent and intelligence, combined with measurables we have not seen, other than Josh Allen.  Allen is bigger, but Fields is faster.  Once Fields develops a quicker trigger, he'll ascend to elite.  I couldn't be happier for what I'm seeing.  This off season is going to be five months of Christmas.

Fields brings back memories of Vince Evans who the Bears drafted as a QB and I remember him being the starter in an epic Thanksgiving game against the Cowboys that the Bears won in a defensive battle in Dallas, Evans had a similar skill set to Fields and had a decent career with the Raiders after leaving the Bears. I believe that Willie Gault's first NFL touchdown was from Vince Evans.

3 minutes ago, lemonej said:

Fields brings back memories of Vince Evans who the Bears drafted as a QB and I remember him being the starter in an epic Thanksgiving game against the Cowboys that the Bears won in a defensive battle in Dallas, Evans had a similar skill set to Fields and had a decent career with the Raiders after leaving the Bears. I believe that Willie Gault's first NFL touchdown was from Vince Evans.

Evans was awesome, that was my childhood. Fields is Evans, Vick, Jackson, Cunningham all together. 

1 minute ago, adam said:

Evans was awesome, that was my childhood. Fields is Evans, Vick, Jackson, Cunningham all together. 

Thank you Adam! He ran back kickoffs under Jack Pardee just to get on the field. Then whoever was his OC designed some QB sweeps to fit him in the offense.

Talk about a turnaround. Fields now up to -33.1% DVOA (-79.3% on 03OCT). So he has improved by over 46% in just over a month. If he continues anywhere near this pace, he will be in the positive in 3 weeks, which would be a historic stretch. 

To put this into perspective, Tua is the only QB above +26% at an absurd +51%. Fields is improving weekly at almost 12%, so he could get to 0% in 3 weeks and potentially +24% in 5 weeks, which would put him 4th in the NFL. If he finished the season with comparable games for the remaining 8, he would end up with one of the best QB DVOA seasons ever.

His QBR is now 13th, and he can easily jump into the top 10 (needs +3.5) this week. I figure he will have a good game, but not as good as last week. Even then, that should boost him into the top 10.

I still think it is wild that he can break the single season rushing record for a QB without needing 100 yard rushing games every week.

Fields has just put a mushroom stamp on the 2021 class. No one drafted in the last two years can sniff his colon, he is that far ahead of everyone else and that is after a brutal first 4 games.

Even in another loss, he had a QBR of 73.3, his 4th straight game over 64.0 (50.0=league average). Going back to the MIN game, he has had 5 out of 6 games with a QBR over 64.0. 

So last year he finished the season with a QBR of 31.4, one of the lowest ever and last in the NFL for qualified starters. This year? Now 11th at 57.2, ahead of Burrow, Herbert, Brady, Lawrence, Cousins, Murray, Rodgers, Wilson, etc. 

His year group and this year's rookie class:

2. Lawrence 52.1
3. Wilson 49.1
4. Pickett 39.4
5. Lance 35.5
6. Ehlinger 34.3
7. Zappe 33.5
8. Jones 32.6
9. Mills 32.5
10. Willis 3.7 (if qualified, would be the lowest QBR ever)

The turn around has been nothing short of spectacular. This may be the new norm for the Bears offense, 200+ yards rushing and 200+ yards passing with Fields accounting for 300+ yards every game. 

51 minutes ago, killakrzydav said:

This has been an amazing progression from everyone wanting to throw him away till now where he’s looking like a star QB

The eye test and the stats weren't matching.  Now he is breaking NFL records. With 7 losses already, hopefully that quells any type of playoff aspirations from fans this year, and now everyone can just be excited about Fields development. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

The eye test and the stats weren't matching.  Now he is breaking NFL records. With 7 losses already, hopefully that quells any type of playoff aspirations from fans this year, and now everyone can just be excited about Fields development. 

for sure

Fields has improved every week this year. Often it wasnt enough for it to be obvious in the game, but film study showed it.

As for the interception, everyone makes mistakes. Even the best QBs have them.

Fields in on his way to being really good. Maybe even great.

He still needs to be throwing for 300+ yards a game to reach those levels. A real OL next year will be a big part of that.

Looking at some early stats from other QBs, Fields compares most favorably to Michael Vick and Lamar Jackson than any other QBs at this point in his career.

Fields doesn't yet have a 300 yard passing game in 20 starts. Vick only had 2 in his first 70 starts, his first coming on his 16th start and the 2nd one in his 45th start. Jackson only had 1x 300 yard passing game in his first 40 starts. So Fields has time to match or surpass both of these guys in passing.

For rushing, Vick had 9x 100 yd rushing games in this 70 starts. His first in his 13th start and his second in his 18th start. Jackson had 5x 100 yd rushing games in his first 20 starts with his first start being one. Fields has 3. Fields had his first 100yd rushing game in his 6th start, his second in his 19th, and 3rd in his 20th. So Fields is ahead of Vick, and very close to Jackson's pace (who won MVP in his 2nd season with 1x 300 yd passing game and 5x 100 yd rushing game).