Roster stuff

Alaskan Grizzly

FWIW in the press conference that is linked below Eberflus was clear in calling Fields the Franchise QB.  For those who have watched him and Poles in their press conferences since they were hired they were always cautious about avoiding that statement.  

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/matt-eberflus-provides-injury-updates-for-week-16-press-conference

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The preliminary injury report reads like a mass casualty incident.  With all these injuries, it’s a wonder the Bears did as well as they did.  Of note, besides Jenkins injury Sanborn has what appears to be an ankle injury, Johnson had a rib injury late in the game and Fields’ brief departure was due to cramps. 

*Jenkins was recently released from the hospital.  Definitely a good sign considering. 

29 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Looks like Schoefield, Borom, and Reiff will all be playing with Mustipher and Jones.

27 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Sanborn out rest of year on IR.  LB Elijah Lee from Chiefs practice squad signed to fill roster spot.  

It's that time of year where small injuries put you on IR and they grab someone new.  It'd be different if we were headed to the playoffs but we're just starting the 2023 tryouts early.  

16 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Encouraging to see/hear but I wouldn’t think Jenkins needs to prove anything right now.  Best to wait it out.

2 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

It's that time of year where small injuries put you on IR and they grab someone new.  It'd be different if we were headed to the playoffs but we're just starting the 2023 tryouts early.  

amen brothers. shut them all down, get that draft pick and emerge as an actual football team!

45 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Shit, anyone know what he got?

https://www.nfl.com/news/elgton-jenkins-packers-four-year-68m-contract-extension

Max value is up to $74mil.   They knew where he was headed so they went all-in.  I thought he'd be a great addition for us but if a team with just  $3mil cap space feels they must do that then a lot of other pieces are going to fall off that roster. 

I can't even guess where they will be finding that cap space because all of their top players have a ton of dead money hits.  It is either a heavily backloaded contract or they are banking on a massive increase in the cap space versus what is already forecasted.  The only other option I can see is that they have already decided they will be trading Aaron Rodgers, or he'd have to retire.  They don't even have enough for a rookie pool.  

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers 

There is nothing in this article to indicate a big change from what OTC has forecasted.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/salary-cap-for-2023-nfl-season-could-exceed-220-million-but-questions-remain

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/elgton-jenkins-packers-four-year-68m-contract-extension

Max value is up to $74mil.   They knew where he was headed so they went all-in.  I thought he'd be a great addition for us but if a team with just  $3mil cap space feels they must do that then a lot of other pieces are going to fall off that roster. 

I can't even guess where they will be finding that cap space because all of their top players have a ton of dead money hits.  It is either a heavily backloaded contract or they are banking on a massive increase in the cap space versus what is already forecasted.  The only other option I can see is that they have already decided they will be trading Aaron Rodgers, or he'd have to retire.  They don't even have enough for a rookie pool.  

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers 

There is nothing in this article to indicate a big change from what OTC has forecasted.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/salary-cap-for-2023-nfl-season-could-exceed-220-million-but-questions-remain

YouTube just got the NFL Sunday Ticket rights, I wonder when we will know the true 2023 cap number.

Swifty broke down some film on Dieter against the Bills.  It wasn't all good and he learned some lessons within the game, which bodes well for his learning curve.  When he gets it right he looks good.  It appeared they wanted to split snaps between him and Borom at LG although he got a few at RG when Schofield went out.   Dieter finished the game so I'm curious who gets the start this weekend. 

We cut Taco Charlton which is neither a surprise nor a disappointment.  Eberflus apparently indicated Justin Jones will spend some time at DE this week.  That's not a good sign so Jones is definitely a bubble player for next years roster. 

However, I wonder if they'll bring up DE Sammis Reyes from the practice squad.  We're in roster experimentation mode and Reyes is old (27), so it's now or never for him.    

There could also be a DT on the practice squad they want to get some snaps but again most of those DTs are older players so we pretty much know their ceiling.  

14 hours ago, AZ54 said:

There could also be a DT on the practice squad they want to get some snaps but again most of those DTs are older players so we pretty much know their ceiling.  

Swift Sports thinks they could try out recently signed Andrew Brown (listed as a DE) in the middle.  I could see Reyes get a shot after being ballyhooed earlier in the season. Theres some tape out there on how well Jones played against Buffalo.  So I’m a little surprised they’re discussing moving him to see someone else at the 3T.  They also talk about some potential Oline looks to include Eislen at Guard and/or Center and maybe even Leatherwood inside. 

EDIT:  I also wouldn't mind seeing recently acquired DE Terrell Lewis on a few snaps.  Doesn't sound like he did much with the Rams but maybe...just maybe a change of scenery will do wonders?

In other news, the Bears dodged another bullet with the Derek Carr situation. If they were going after Wilson before, I could see them going after Carr if this situation was just a year or so ago with Pace and Nagy. Pace trades the house for Carr and he continues his streak as one of the losingist QBs of all time. All the guy does is lose. He seems like a super nice guy, but is basically a poor man's Matthew Stafford. Most stats compiled in garbage time, flashes some plays here and there, but loses more games for you than he wins for you.

On the flip side, this opens up Davante Adams for a potential trade. If Carr is gone and Adams is not going back to GB, there are only a handful of teams he could go to, the Bears with Fields, Falcons with Ridder, Giants with Jones, Patriots with Jones, or Seahawks with Smith. It would seem like the Bears would be the best spot for him.

Would you be open to trading the #2 pick for someone like Adams and the Raiders 1st Rounder?

Bears #2 for Adams, Raiders #9 and Raiders #40? That would be like valuing Adams as the #20 pick in the draft. If they traded Claypool for #32, 12 picks earlier seems reasonable for Adams. That would give the Bears Adams and 4 picks in the top 65. They would miss out on Carter or Anderson, but with so many holes to fill, would either one of those guys make an impact on this year's defense so much to change the outcome of any games? Maybe, but a WR Corps of Adams, Claypool, Mooney all of a sudden becomes top 10 over night. I would at least consider it.

10 hours ago, adam said:

Bears #2 for Adams, Raiders #9 and Raiders #40? That would be like valuing Adams as the #20 pick in the draft. If they traded Claypool for #32, 12 picks earlier seems reasonable for Adams. That would give the Bears Adams and 4 picks in the top 65. They would miss out on Carter or Anderson, but with so many holes to fill, would either one of those guys make an impact on this year's defense so much to change the outcome of any games? Maybe, but a WR Corps of Adams, Claypool, Mooney all of a sudden becomes top 10 over night. I would at least consider it.

On the one hand, I'm not sure what to think of it.  Solely for the money aspect of it.  How much would Chicago be on the hook (financially) for his recently signed (and healthy) contract?  Coming out of the gate, Poles strikes me as a frugal spender and this doesn't quite play into his style. Then again, its only been one year with him so far and perhaps he's inclined to spend big money if he thinks it worthwhile?  

I still think we need to be able to evaluate what Fields can do, and in order to do that we need better linemen in front of him.  Adams is unquestionably a super-talented WR and would no doubt raise Fields' game but his salary could impede adding needed players in other positions.  And what's to say the Bears couldn't find a decent pickup in the draft like Smith-Njigba?  (For what its worth I'm also a fan of Marvin Harrison Jr).  We still need to evaluate what Claypool can provide to the team.  He hasn't really had that opportunity mostly due to injury.  And don't forget about Harry.  Again he's had some issues with injury but so far he's been pretty damn reliable when targeted.  

And then there's the defense.  Even when Flus gets all his current "starters" back he's going to need key players across the front seven.  I'd say at least half are in need of replacing/upgrading.  Really this is where the money needs to be spent.  

On the other hand, it would certainly be sweet to see Adams suit up a Bear and make all the Packers fans seethe.