Draft Slot Tracker (thru Week 15)

adam

With Kyler Murray out for the year, and now Buddy Baker, ARZ is not winning another game.

1. HOU 2-12-1 JAX @IND (HOU already beat JAX and tied IND)
2. CHI 3-12  @DET   MIN (both opponents playing for playoffs)
3. DEN 4-11  @KC    LAC (both opponents playing for playoffs)
4. ARZ 4-11  @ATL   @SF 

The odds of HOU winning one more game is about 50% at this time.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SEA is currently #3 and #12. If the Bears can get the #1 pick, then have SEA jump HOU to #1 to draft a QB using #12 and a 2024 1st rounder. The Bears could get Anderson or Carter, and basically another top 10 non-QB player plus an extra 2024 1st rounder. That would be epic, all courtesy of Russell Wilson, let's ride!

The could also take Carter or Anderson, then trade out of #12 to pick up an early/mid 2nd.

31 minutes ago, adam said:

SEA is currently #3 and #12. If the Bears can get the #1 pick, then have SEA jump HOU to #1 to draft a QB using #12 and a 2024 1st rounder. The Bears could get Anderson or Carter, and basically another top 10 non-QB player plus an extra 2024 1st rounder. That would be epic, all courtesy of Russell Wilson, let's ride!

The could also take Carter or Anderson, then trade out of #12 to pick up an early/mid 2nd.

Seattle likes its qb. So whil on paper it looks great, Pete isn’t trading up.

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Their QB is a UFA. Smith is also a Pro Bowler who is going to command a lot on the open market.

Derek Carr signed a 3yr/121M contract as a mediocre starter (40M per year). Goff is making $33.5M, Wentz $32.5, Ryan $30M, Tannehill $29.5M. Kyler Murray is making $46M per year. 

How much do you think Seattle is going to pay Smith? They have about $30M in available cap for 2023. I don't think Smith will be there next year.

Also, they traded 2 first round picks for a Safety (Jamal Adams). It seems like swapping 1st rounders and trading 2 (1 not theirs) would not be out of the question if they wanted to get their guy at QB. 

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Kinda cool rooting for Lovie again.  As much as I hate losing, sitting at the top of the draft could be lucrative.

Absolutely, I just hope they don't replace him in the offseason once all the heavy lifting is done in the rebuild.

54 minutes ago, adam said:

Their QB is a UFA. Smith is also a Pro Bowler who is going to command a lot on the open market.

Derek Carr signed a 3yr/121M contract as a mediocre starter (40M per year). Goff is making $33.5M, Wentz $32.5, Ryan $30M, Tannehill $29.5M. Kyler Murray is making $46M per year. 

How much do you think Seattle is going to pay Smith? They have about $30M in available cap for 2023. I don't think Smith will be there next year.

Also, they traded 2 first round picks for a Safety (Jamal Adams). It seems like swapping 1st rounders and trading 2 (1 not theirs) would not be out of the question if they wanted to get their guy at QB. 

I would be exstatic if they did but Seattle doesn’t seem like a franchise that will pay that type of price to move up for a qb. I hope I am wrong. The colts or Falcons - I see either franchise willing to do that. 

8 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Don't be so sure about that.  He might draft one and let 'em compete and keep the winner.  There's precedent for that.  It would appear Indy will be all-in for a QB.  You have to think Irsay is going to make that job 1 for the organization based on his comment about the recent QB merry-go-round they've had.  

Just now, AZ54 said:

Don't be so sure about that.  He might draft one and let 'em compete and keep the winner.  There's precedent for that.  It would appear Indy will be all-in for a QB.  You have to think Irsay is going to make that job 1 for the organization based on his comment about the recent QB merry-go-round they've had.  

Seattle might not trade up to get a QB but the threat/risk of them taking one is enough to drive someone else to trade ahead of them.  

7 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Seattle might not trade up to get a QB but the threat/risk of them taking one is enough to drive someone else to trade ahead of them.  

Great point. Someone is trading up for a QB, it is the new norm. There are too many QB needy teams and everyone has seen what retreads do. Outside of Geno Smith, guys like Ryan, Mariota, Wentz, Wilson, Mayfield, Darnold, Dalton, etc have not worked out and won't help you win a Super Bowl. If you are going to those guys, you are not expecting to win. With only 2-3 QBs with franchise level potential coming out every year, you either go for one of those, or wait for next year. It can be a long wait. The Bears lucked into Fields after the Trubisky failure.

34 minutes ago, adam said:

If Bears get #1 pick, the Steelers get #32 from the Bears for Claypool. That still is a terrible trade. 

in the abstract, we paid too much. But given the lack of Free Agent WRs, and blue chip WRs in the draft, it makes more sense.

And Claypool can still develop into a stud. I won't count that chicken while it's still an egg, but it's not a given that he is a flop either.

Maybe his slowness to develop will cause Poles to get another high value WR and then when Claypool arrives, we could have an excellent WR room?

2 hours ago, adam said:

If Bears get #1 pick, the Steelers get #32 from the Bears for Claypool. That still is a terrible trade. 

Ryan Poles: Hey Omar, whats it going to take for Claypool. 

Omar Khan: GB offered their 2nd. The way it looks, their pick will be better than the Baltimore pick, so it will take you own 2nd. 

Ian, what do you think?  Let GB have Claypool for 2 cheap years? Or trade our potential top 2nd rounder and get a WR on the cheap end.

It sucks we lost a possible pick 32 or 33, but we also kept a good cheap WR out of our rivals hands.

Poles measured the value of getting a WR in FA and found it lacking.  A second rounder for a developed secund rounder is a good gamble, while being technically feasible.  I've stated many times how important a go to reciever is in today's game.  Poles has had a look into what we may get from Claypool.  That look may lead him to Quenton Johnston.

40 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Poles measured the value of getting a WR in FA and found it lacking.  A second rounder for a developed secund rounder is a good gamble, while being technically feasible.  I've stated many times how important a go to reciever is in today's game.  Poles has had a look into what we may get from Claypool.  That look may lead him to Quenton Johnston.

right. you lose two years of his rookie contract, but you get a guy with 2 years experience.

It's like you drafted him two years ago with this years pick. It's not so bad at all.

The real question in all of this, which will make this a great trade or a terrible one, is what kind of WR Claypool will be for us. If he is great, Poles is a genius, if he sucks, it's a real bad move. He has the traits and has shown it on film. let's hope our coaches can get him there. If they do, and he dominates, the 2nd round pick is no problem.

Because of the value of the second pick, it makes it look bad but if we didn't do it you would have to think he would have took a WR. If you compare Claypool's traits to who would be available at that spot, you would easily take Claypool instead. The top 3 or 4 will be gone. Plus Quintin Johnston has the same traits that Claypool has, size and speed, if you think he is the best WR in the draft. It gave a chance for Fields and Chase to bond, but injuries derailed that. The only way it is a terrible trade is if you get no production out of Claypool next year. That hasn't happened yet.

I get the market and at the time the Bears were winning some games and if Poles doesn't pull the trigger then, Claypool is on GB, and there is one less WR available. 

However, the Claypool stuff reminds me of the Diggs vs Jefferson situation. Buffalo traded a 1st for Diggs, who has been elite, but Minnesota drafted Jefferson with that pick. 

In the last 3 years:

Diggs - 331-4085-28 - $24M APY, 29 yrs old
Jefferson - 319-4772-25 on rookie deal, 23 yrs old

So Buffalo could've just kept the pick, drafted Jefferson, and had $24M in cap space for other needs the last 3 years. They would've probably won the SB last year and would be undefeated this year. Obviously the draft is a crapshoot and Jefferson could've easily been Reagor.

The good thing for the Bears is Claypool is still young and hopefully more time in the offense and with Fields will help him evolve. 

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

When I talk about loving big-bodied WRs this is why. Despite having a DB hanging all over him, 6’7” FSU wideout Johnny Wilson made it look easy. 

I think we're going to draft a big body WR , maybe Johnston if we trade back. Tillman and Hucthinson are both 6'3 and have some game later in draft. 

6 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

When I talk about loving big-bodied WRs this is why. Despite having a DB hanging all over him, 6’7” FSU wideout Johnny Wilson made it look easy. 

I just don't want him ending up like St. Brown who takes 10 yards to make a cut. 

On 12/28/2022 at 5:26 AM, adam said:

I get the market and at the time the Bears were winning some games and if Poles doesn't pull the trigger then, Claypool is on GB, and there is one less WR available. 

However, the Claypool stuff reminds me of the Diggs vs Jefferson situation. Buffalo traded a 1st for Diggs, who has been elite, but Minnesota drafted Jefferson with that pick. 

In the last 3 years:

Diggs - 331-4085-28 - $24M APY, 29 yrs old
Jefferson - 319-4772-25 on rookie deal, 23 yrs old

So Buffalo could've just kept the pick, drafted Jefferson, and had $24M in cap space for other needs the last 3 years. They would've probably won the SB last year and would be undefeated this year. Obviously the draft is a crapshoot and Jefferson could've easily been Reagor.

The good thing for the Bears is Claypool is still young and hopefully more time in the offense and with Fields will help him evolve. 

Buffalo knew exactly what they were getting in NFL production with that pick, Minnesota did not.  So yes there was an additional salary cost for the known commodity but that's how business works.   

11 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

The DB is draped all over him because he can't run.  With his long legs I'd be very curious to see how well he gets in/out of his cuts.  That's just this guy but your point is valid.  

In October, Poles and Cunningham personally went to 3 college football games. Miss St vs Alabama, Syracuse vs Clemson and Virginia vs Georgia Tech. The Alabama and Clemson games are obvious ( Anderson, M Murphy) but who did they go see at the Virginia- Georgia Tech game?  The top 150 players I could find were Dontavion Wicks, A 6-2 WR and Keion White , listed as a DE.  This year, he had 40 pressures, 7 sacks, he's 6-5, 286 and runs a 4.69 40 time. Big hands and long arms. 

I find it odd they only went to the Virginia vs Georgia Tech game to only see 2 players. White is the 34rd ranked DL prospect.He's projected as a 4th or 5 th round pick.

They went to see Anderson, Murphy, Bresee, White but never went to a Georgia game. I find that interesting.