Roquan signs largest LB contract ever - somewhere Saint Omni is smiling

adam

1 hour ago, adam said:

5yr-$100M deal, $60 in guarantees.  The Ravens had $52M, that is now almost cut in half for just Roquan and does not include Lamar Jackson..... 

Roquan becomes their 2nd highest paid player behind Ronnie Stanley.

Good for him, and glad he's not pulling our team's finances down.

56 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Glad to see it for Roquans sake. Roquans a stud but we will get similar production for under 1 million a year, Jack Sanborn.

I don't think Poles is ever going to be like Pace handing out big money contracts to everyone.

I think Poles is a pay stars at key positions kind of guy.

50 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Poles said he will be sound in FA.  Need the right guys and good financial decisions.  I hope we don't miss out on our targets either.

I would have said that I feel this is where Ian Cunningham will be a huge asset going into the new year.  BUT, it appears the word is out that he’s a young ‘up and comer’ in the league.  Reading elsewhere he’s linked to at least 2-3 potential GM jobs.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I would have said that I feel this is where Ian Cunningham will be a huge asset going into the new year.  BUT, it appears the word is out that he’s a young ‘up and comer’ in the league.  Reading elsewhere he’s linked to at least 2-3 potential GM jobs.  

I would hate to see him leave when he hasn't got to do much magic yet.  I think the next two years if the rest of the balls drop right will be rewarding

10 hours ago, jason said:

Horrible contract. 

The whole point of roster building is to win a championship. I don't know how this contract makes the Ravens do that. That is not what they needed, and definitely not for $20M a year. So what are they going to do with Queen? Are they going to pay two of their LBs a total of at least $35M per year? This move only makes sense if they are going to let Queen walk and put vet min's or UDFAs next to Roquan. 

Funny that they show some major defensive improvements since Roquan joined the team, masking the fact that the offenses they played went from top half of the league before Roquan to bottom half the league with Roquan. So the defensive improvements were normal and would've occurred without Roquan.

Also, since Roquan, the Ravens were 5-4, without him 5-3. Obviously other players contribute to those records, but a ton of media posts have made it seem like Roquan was carrying them, yet he had more sacks 2.5 vs 2 and more INTs 2 vs 1 with the Bears than the Ravens (impact plays).  Finally, he still has zero forced fumbles, which has always been a flaw in his game. 

To me, off ball LBs have become like RBs on offense. A lot of wear and tear, don't put a lot of money in them, fairly interchangeable, and very few are worth the money in big contracts. Draft late or find UDFAs. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

The whole point of roster building is to win a championship.

At the end of the day, the Ravens aren't projected to make it far into the playoffs this year.  Jackson has missed 16 consecutive practices and doesn't appear anywhere near ready to play.  And there's talk he may not be back next year, due in large part to how much money Baltimore has (or doesn't have).  I read somewhere they may have already used the Tag on him (last year) and the holdout would indicate the team is in for a long offseason with him negotiating-wise.

Roquan is a talented football player. But to get paid that kind of money, you need to affect games. I dont see the turnovers or critical tackles for loss from him. He's just not that dominant of a player. We did the right thing.

I'd pay Ray Lewis $20M a year.

26 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Roquan is a talented football player. But to get paid that kind of money, you need to affect games. I dont see the turnovers or critical tackles for loss from him. He's just not that dominant of a player. We did the right thing.

I'd pay Ray Lewis $20M a year.

Agreed 100%.

Peace