Bears Trade #1 to Panthers

ASHKUM BEAR

2 minutes ago, adam said:

Bears now have 3 picks over an 11 pick sequence between 54-64. If they don't trade any (Poles may flip one for a future pick), they can really do some damage there.

Eric Edholm  just came out with a top 100 draft ranking. At 9  Paris Johnson and Broderick Jones come into play. Also we could still pick Murphy or Van Ness at that point. At 54-64 you have Derrick Hall, Cody Mauch, or A A.   Poles is a magician to now be able to set his drat board early and will use FAgency to fill in around that. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I said that but instead of giving them 39 they gave them 61. They will be drafting a WR to grow with the new QB. I like being wrong when it helps our team.

No harm no foul.   It isn't often I get something right.    

50 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

by the numbers and the Hall trade chart, the value we paid for DJ Moore in this trade was equal to a second round pick this year, and moving down from first round to second round in the extra 2025 pick. That's a steal.

Suddenly Mooney and Claypool look much better too because you cant double team everyone. This gives Fields the weapons to show what he can do, and we got a likely top 10 first rounder next year to combine with our pick to take Field's replacement or add two firsts to the team around him.

This was a great move for sustainability. In the past, we've seen the Bears try to load up for a run with a window that's already closing. Now with young core players like Fields, and three excellent receiver all 25 or 24 years old you've got the beginnings of a sustainable, long term offense. Truly building a team.

We might use the pick at #9, but once you get out of the blue area, unless someone specific drops, don't be surprised to see the Bears trade down again. We can use all the 2nd round picks we can get.

This is very exciting for the next ten years of Bears football. Good job Poles. Now you just have to pick the players to draft and pay in Free Agency.

Reality is 4 qbs likely go top 9 - which means bears get shot at one of top 5 non qbs. If somehow a qb or two don’t get picked - you might be able to get decent value in a small trade down if you want.

5 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Reality is 4 qbs likely go top 9 - which means bears get shot at one of top 5 non qbs. If somehow a qb or two don’t get picked - you might be able to get decent value in a small trade down if you want.

it all depends on the way the Bears have players rated. After Will Anderson is gone, and depending on how people see Carter and whether he is there, the question is do you see a discernable gap between the next couple defenders and the ones just after that. If you have someone marked blue and they are there, you take them, but i think there is a lot of comparable talent there, and another move down just adds more good players. Its a guess until i see how the board falls.

I will say that wouldnt hate Jalen Carter at 9 either.

Imagine, if you will, a place and time in the future where the Carolina Panthers have the worst record in the NFL and the Bears have one of the best QBs.  Ryan Poles tells the rest of the NFL if you want Caleb  Williams you know the price.  

23 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Imagine, if you will, a place and time in the future where the Carolina Panthers have the worst record in the NFL and the Bears have one of the best QBs.  Ryan Poles tells the rest of the NFL if you want Caleb  Williams you know the price.  

That was why the trade down was so important.  They needed that rd1 pick that could be a torch for many future years of early picks.

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

and that price would be even bigger because none of these QBs are close to Williams, even today.

The one thing I was thinking about was how much the Jalen Carter news had to do with the Bears making this move, especially with a team like CAR.

13 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Trading back makes sense for us but what player will a team want at 9? Hopefully Carter drips to 9 and we get to make that decision.

If Richardson or Levis drops, we can definitely trade down with someone like the Titans.

Peace 

So Carolina has a rebuild, year one, with a rookie QB, sans C McCaffery & DJ Moore, their top two (and only two) playmakers. That to me sounds like a top 5 pick in 2024. In fact, IF the teams in their division all improve, it could be as high as a number one. 

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Just when my off season high was at its peak, you come in with this plausible pipe dream.  🙌🏻 🙌🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻💪🏻

I don’t know if it makes sense, but #9 looks like a sweet spot for the top CBs, Witherspoon and Gonzalez, and I do kind of like the idea of locking in a talented, young secondary by adding one of them to Johnson, Gordon, Brisker, and Jackson. 

15 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Does anyone remember what we gave up to move up for Justin?  I think Tampa might be a player...

Looking back at the Goff trade, which was 1 to 15. Everything sort of levels out and the differences in the trade are the following:

Bears got DJ Moore and a 2nd (in two years)

Titans got a 3rd and a next year's 3rd

So to me, clearly the Bears got a lot better deal than the Titans got, which was the last trade up for #1.

I had #9 equal to #15 and a 2nd, then the other 2nd's cancel out and the next year's 1st's cancels out.

15 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Does anyone remember what we gave up to move up for Justin?  I think Tampa might be a player...

Bears went from 20 to 11, gave up a 5th (#164), and then next year's 1st and a 5th (#7 and #112). So Fields for #20, #164 in 2021 and #7 and #112 in 2022. To me the 4th and 5th's are very minimal, so its like Fields for #7 and #20. Fields easily could've been a top 3 pick. 

11 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

And Wash and maybe even the Jets    

Honestly, I wouldn't mind moving completely out of the first round.  The second round has starter quality players at every position of need that we have.  

Also, knowing how valuable a good "move" tight end is, Dalton Kincaid should be considered with a mid to late first.

Love this for so many reasons.  We all knew Poles was shopping the pick. Only question was would it be one move or multiple moves, would it be now or draft day. They gave us enough bread crumbs to speculate who our trade partners were. 

He spoke pretty boldly about it at the combine. We now know he wasn’t just blowing smoke.  I bet the Panthers we’re offering the 24 and 25 1st rounders and he got them to include Moore. It gives me confidence that we may finally have a GM who is smart, calculating, shrewd, and can back his word up.  This was masterfully done. 

it helps us now by getting an established #1 WR to help Fields and instantly makes our WR room better. Plus it give Moore extra time to adjust to being a Bear and study up on the new offense as well as get to know his new teammates and coaches. Along with that takes #1 WR off the need list so we can focus on OL, DL and secondary   

it helps us long term with the future draft capitol and gives us insurance in case Fields doesn’t take the next step or gives us flexibility to move around in the next couple drafts. 

12 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Yes!!! this is the Fields-plays-well-this-season outcome, and it's not a fantasy, it could easily become reality.

Also, I read somewhere (cant remember where, maybe it was on this board!) that we might trade #9 to Washington for #16 and Daron Payne. If that happens, Ryan Poles is GM of the decade.

For those who said you should never try to lose games, hopefully now we can see the incredible value that ending up #1 instead of #4 or #5 brought. Poles is playing this for long term benefit too. Sustainable. Not a word we've come to associate with the Bears ever, and now, we are here. Awesome.